When will Hillary Clinton give up her candidacy ?

maporsche

Fri 12 Feb, 2016 03:31 pm
@ehBeth,
hahahaha...glad I could make you laugh
cicerone imposter

Fri 12 Feb, 2016 03:33 pm
@maporsche,
http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2015/08/07/hillary-clinton-personality-column/31120607/
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 12 Feb, 2016 08:04 pm
@revelette2,
Quote:
The really odd thing is I bet he [Trump] will start to believe in those changes himself. Like he gets himself worked up to believe anything.

That's such a tough thing - to sort out with any certainty whether these dorks actually believe what they are saying. But to my mind, Trump is a bit of an unusual case in that he seems to take a real joy in saying whatever seems convenient. Lying is part of the performance art that he takes pride in. My guess would be that Limbaugh and Beck, to name two others, are the same but Trump doesn't work so hard to hide his game. He almost teases with it.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 12 Feb, 2016 09:09 pm
@Blickers,
Quote:
There's a topic devoted to the Bundy protestors which has a video by Rachel Maddow tracing their roots back to the Christian Identity movement which started as a white Southern reaction to Reconstruction.

Huge hole in my historical knowledge here. Thank you very kindly for that video reference. Greatly appreciated!
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 12 Feb, 2016 09:10 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
why? that's who they are

Stuff I did not know, bethie.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Fri 12 Feb, 2016 09:40 pm
@blatham,
I answered the question you asked Wiyio. Which media he got his information from.
blatham

Sat 13 Feb, 2016 04:02 am
@RABEL222,
Gotcha. Thanks.
0 Replies

Lash

Sat 13 Feb, 2016 09:28 am
How complicit was Hillary in voter suppression connected to the DNC's blatant favoritism?

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/omalley-debbie-wasserman-schultz-rigged-debates-for-hillary/
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sat 13 Feb, 2016 12:26 pm
@edgarblythe,
Good article, Edgar. Too bad most won't get the opportunity to read it.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Sat 13 Feb, 2016 01:48 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

She is doing the standard American Christianist move there. We have freedom of religion BUT there's only one true and legitimate religion. All the others are false and following them can lead only to submergence into the bowels of hell. I think your use of the term "Christianist" was perjorative and undeserved.

ps... this is insane. I have no idea whether she believes this or not. She may be merely repeating a mantra coaxed by advisers. But regardless, the idea forwarded is stark raving nuts.

She was certainly speaking to others who share her views in a fairly sectarian manner. However you yourself were doing exactly the same thing here. Does that make you "stark raving nuts" Are you even dimly aware of your hypocrisy here ?

On a larger scale her expressions might be mildly offensive to some, but it doesn't quite reach the level of intolerance. Given that Evangelical Christians so far haven't been caught decapitating or burning unbelievers alive and haven't called for religious rule (though they do resent the increasingly intrusive requirements of governments that they support and participate in things they consider wrong), your use of the term Christianist was unfair and in my view out of bounds. Frankly in all this you appear to be every bit as doctrinaire, narrow minded and intolerant as you accuse them to be.

Tolerance is an important word and an important part of civil behavior. One doesn't have to approve of or like everything out there, but tolerance, live and let live, are necessary elements of civil society. Intolerance, whether religious or secular, is still intolerance. What other people think or believe is not really our affair. Indeed we can't really know their thoughts. We can however know and within limits judge and restrain their actions in accordance with our constitution and the law. You appear in all this to be exceedingly interested in examining how you imagine others think, and in all of it, highly judgmental and intolerant.
blatham

Sat 13 Feb, 2016 08:34 pm
Quote:
Christopher Hayes ‏@chrislhayes 3h3 hours ago
Last time we had this situation: Marshall retiring with a year left in HW Bush's term. In that case,the Dem senate confirmed Clarence Thomas

Obviously, the death of Scalia is a very consequential event. Even outside of a new SC justice appointed, the new balance of 4-4 changes a lot re the important cases coming up over the next year.

But adding in consideration of a new appointment, that's very significant politically. Right wing voices are clamoring for obstruction of an appointment by Obama, McConnell saying that "citizens should choose who makes the appointment". Of course, they did by electing Obama for a second term so McConnell's framing is completely bogus.
McGentrix

Sat 13 Feb, 2016 08:42 pm
@blatham,
I think we should wait and see the caliber of the person nominated before we make any blanket decisions.
blatham

Sat 13 Feb, 2016 08:52 pm
@georgeob1,
Fine with me if you're offended by my use of "Christianist", george. By that term, I mean something different from "Christian". To specify, I mean to refer to those who regard other faiths as improper and illegitimate expressions of faith - particularly where there is a political component to this stance. Let's add Muslimists and Hinduists, etc, to this category. Christian dominionism is a blatant manifestation of such a mindset. The often repeated claim that "America is a Christian nation" is another (where exclusion of other faith communities or relegation of them to some junior status is implied/entailed). I have no use at all for members of any sect of any faith who speak/think this way and I do think they are quite mad to presume they have some magical insider knowledge of the mind of god.

cicerone imposter

Sat 13 Feb, 2016 08:53 pm
@blatham,
The election of Obama gives him the right to choose the sc justice.
blatham

Sat 13 Feb, 2016 08:56 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:
I think we should wait and see the caliber of the person nominated before we make any blanket decisions.

Wouldn't it be lovely if this process was marked by objectivity. And wouldn't it be a fine thing if "caliber" were to be the real criterion in question.
blatham

Sat 13 Feb, 2016 09:05 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
The election of Obama gives him the right to choose the sc justice.

Of course it does. But as McConnell stated within hours of the announcement of Scalia's passing that Republicans would block any attempt by Obama to put a new justice in place.

The big deceit in this is that even if McConnell were to get his way with a delaying of the appointment until a new president is in place, if that president is a Democrat, McConnell and crew will play it the same way and do anything they can to obstruct that Dem president's appointment.

Everybody with half a brain understands that conservatives (via the Federralist Society, particularly) has had a decades-long strategy of packing the judiciary with ideological allies for ideological and political ends. This is about power. Well, screw them.
cicerone imposter

Sat 13 Feb, 2016 09:09 pm
@blatham,
Screw them is spot on.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 13 Feb, 2016 09:09 pm
Quote:
igorvolsky ✔ @igorvolsky
By my count, 18 Supreme Court Justices have been confirmed by the Senate during presidential election years
0 Replies

snood

Sat 13 Feb, 2016 09:12 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:

Wouldn't it be lovely if this process was marked by objectivity. And wouldn't it be a fine thing if "caliber" were to be the real criterion in question.

For a brief second I thought Mcg was being facetious. But no such luck - no irony intended; dead serious. Yeah, like the "caliber" of Obama's appointees is a consideration of this Republican party. It is to laugh.
blatham

Sat 13 Feb, 2016 09:21 pm
@georgeob1,
And by the way, I consider Pope Francis to be one of the best humans walking about on this planet right now. Because of his tolerance. Because of his inclusiveness. Because of his empathy. Because of his Christian humility. But I certainly don't know if he is "the face of God".

When Mrs. Cruz uses that phrase to describe her husband, I want to puke.

0 Replies