When will Hillary Clinton give up her candidacy ?

Blickers

Thu 11 Feb, 2016 07:36 pm
@blatham,
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/heidi-cruz-face-of-god
At 1:00 she seemingly throws a small sop to those who are not Christian, but then covers it by making it unclear if you actually have the right to not believe in Christianity or if she means freedom of religion only means you have the right to choose which Christian denomination you can join.

After saying that the God of Christianity is the one for America, she says:
Quote:
we have freedom of religion in this country, but the God of Christianity is the God of freedom....

BTW, I'm not an atheist, but I am blown away with how she chooses her words to make it seem like being a Christian may or may not be optional to be an American.
cicerone imposter

Thu 11 Feb, 2016 07:56 pm
@Blickers,
That's what happens to a 'true believer.'
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 11 Feb, 2016 07:57 pm
Steve Benen is a very smart guy. Here, he is quoted by Paul Waldman (another smart guy)...
Quote:
Steve Benen notes an interesting irony in the debate Clinton and Sanders are beginning on how Democrats should understand the Obama years:

Quote:
Eight years ago, a similar dynamic unfolded in Democratic politics. Clinton mocked Obama as a dreamer whose rhetoric about “hope” and “change” wouldn’t amount to real, tangible results. In hindsight, whether you think that assessment was correct depends largely on, well, whether you’re a Clinton voter or a Sanders voter.

But for Sanders’ supporters, there’s an unstated twist. “I don’t like the way things turned out when we picked the inspirational idealist over the pragmatist,” they’re effectively arguing, “which is why this time I’m picking the inspirational idealist over the pragmatist.
http://wapo.st/1KeRpnA
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 11 Feb, 2016 08:05 pm
@Blickers,
She is doing the standard American Christianist move there. We have freedom of religion BUT there's only one true and legitimate religion. All the others are false and following them can lead only to submergence into the bowels of hell.

ps... this is insane. I have no idea whether she believes this or not. She may be merely repeating a mantra coaxed by advisers. But regardless, the idea forwarded is stark raving nuts.

cicerone imposter

Thu 11 Feb, 2016 08:24 pm
@blatham,
"Nuts/mad."
0 Replies

Blickers

Thu 11 Feb, 2016 08:34 pm
@blatham,
Quote Blatham:
Quote:
She is doing the standard American Christianist move there. We have freedom of religion BUT there's only one true and legitimate religion. All the others are false and following them can lead only to submergence into the bowels of hell.

Actually, she is going further and saying that non-Christians are leading the country into the bowels of hell as well.
blatham

Thu 11 Feb, 2016 09:10 pm
@Blickers,
That is what I meant to suggest is the meaning of that framing.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 11 Feb, 2016 09:23 pm
By the way, I was surprised by all the God-talk and anti-abortion nuttiness of the Oregon militia people. That's a small sample of the militia crowd but the intersection between them and the extremist religious right wasn't something I expected.
roger

Thu 11 Feb, 2016 09:48 pm
@blatham,
Strangely, it doesn't surprise me a bit. Whether that's their belief or just seeking natural alliances, I don't know.
Blickers

Thu 11 Feb, 2016 10:50 pm
@roger,
That's been going on a long, long time. I saw a documentary of some Idaho, (militia headquarters) militia men chasing away some film makers, (Michael Moore?), a couple of decades ago. The militia boys had banners with both the Swastika and the cross on the same banner. The Klan considers itself a Christian organization, and they are allied with Idaho area groups who are trying to make the Pacific Northwest, where there are few blacks, a last stand for their version of white Christian America.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Fri 12 Feb, 2016 12:22 am
@georgeob1,
No he was not trained as a Muslim, he attended St. Francis of Assisi, while he was in Jakarta for 1st, 2nd & he first part of 3rd grade, he and his mother returned to Hawaii so Obama could finish 3Rd and 4th grades before he resumed lessons in the highly rated Hawaiin schools his mother choose to place him at about 1982
Lash

Fri 12 Feb, 2016 01:51 am
http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/report-state-dept-watchdog-subpoenaed-clinton-foundation-docs
Here she goes.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 12 Feb, 2016 03:50 am
@Roger and Blickers
Thanks. I've not studied the militia movement very much at all so didn't have that understanding. But in retrospect, I ought to have guessed this would likely be the case. The sort of mindset that welcomes notions of national and racial exceptionalism would probably fall easily into similar notions regarding the unique wonderfulness of their culture's faith heritage as well. This Pat Buchanan territory, yes?
blatham

Fri 12 Feb, 2016 04:15 am
Trump wins New Hampshire primary.
Gravitational waves validated.
PeeWee Herman returns.

IN THE SAME WEEK!

The horses and I are spooked.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 12 Feb, 2016 04:43 am
@RABEL222,
Quote:
Right wing radio. Lush Limbaugh?

Not quite sure what your reference is there, Rabel. Insaneness?

Limbaugh is a seminal figure in the American conservative dive into the crazy. There are a number of individuals one can identify here - Ailes is another, Murdoch (though his reach is international ie the purposeful corruption of the Brit political system and Scotland Yard), Vigurie, Weyrich, Norquist and (cumulatively) the Bircher billionaire/millionaire crowd (Hunt, Scaife, Kochs, etc).

Limbaugh set the model for right wing radio in tone and in demonstrating how much money could be made by others who duplicated what he was doing and by broadcasters/publishers. Remove Limbaugh from history's timeline and everything changes (true for each of the key figures noted above).
blatham

Fri 12 Feb, 2016 05:36 am
Quote:
Choosing Donald Trump as the Republican party's nominee would be a mistake. He lacks the character to be a trustworthy president and the convictions to be a conservative one. He's a confidence man who said, a day after winning the New Hampshire primary, "I will be changing very rapidly. I'm capable of changing to anything I want to change to." To invest in this man the accumulated capital and the future aspirations of what is, despite everything, a great political party, the party that carries with it the cause of constitutional government at home and American leadership abroad, would be a grave error.

That's Bill Kristol at the Weekly Standard today.

Bill, you see, cannot abide someone running for the GOP nomination for president who is so rubbery or chameleon-like. It is unprincipled. It's deceitful. How can one support such a character who is without character?

It is almost as if the man believes he can present himself one way on one day and another way on another day. Like...oh, I don't know. Like a goddamned etch-a-sketch. Unacceptable!
blatham

Fri 12 Feb, 2016 06:15 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:
No he was not trained as a Muslim

Georgeob didn't use the term "trained" but that verb in this context has been used consistently by Fox and right wing media. The connotation is obvious - trained like Muslim extremists and terrorists are trained. Or, at the very least, trained to think like a Muslim (whatever the hell that might mean).

But your point is a damned good one, gb.
Quote:
Obama attended two schools during the four years he lived in Indonesia as a child (1967–1971). From the first grade until some time in the third grade he attended the Roman Catholic St. Francis Assisi School, where classes began and ended each day with Christian prayers. He was registered there as Muslim because of his stepfather's nominal religion. At some point during the third grade he transferred to State Elementary School Menteng 01, also known as Besuki School, for less than a year. Besuki is a secular public school. Students there wear Western clothing, and the Chicago Tribune described the school as "so progressive that teachers wore miniskirts and all students were encouraged to celebrate Christmas".
http://bit.ly/1owOe0F

Conservative media - making Americans stupider every day.
0 Replies

revelette2

Fri 12 Feb, 2016 06:55 am
@blatham,
The really odd thing is I bet he will start to believe in those changes himself. Like he gets himself worked up to believe anything.
Blickers

Fri 12 Feb, 2016 09:31 am
@blatham,
Quote blatham:
Quote:
The sort of mindset that welcomes notions of national and racial exceptionalism would probably fall easily into similar notions regarding the unique wonderfulness of their culture's faith heritage as well.

There's a topic devoted to the Bundy protestors which has a video by Rachel Maddow tracing their roots back to the Christian Identity movement which started as a white Southern reaction to Reconstruction. Also tax protestors are part of the story. To my knowledge, nobody in the media has done this research work, (I've heard of a NY Times story which came much later), which puts so much of this together. Extremely recommended to check out.
http://able2know.org/topic/309895-1
ehBeth

Fri 12 Feb, 2016 10:13 am
@blatham,
why? that's who they are