When will Hillary Clinton give up her candidacy ?

blatham

Mon 8 Feb, 2016 04:52 pm
In June of 2014, after Eric Cantor's loss to Brat, I wrote the following in an email exchange with Greg Sargent...
Quote:
I think the outline of 2016 is becoming clear. The GOP will run on their version of populism (the version that just murdered Cantor) and position themselves against the DC-insider, pro Wall Street elites that they'll suggest Clinton represents. That is how their base thinks and it provides a rebranding strategy that will be palatable to that base.

It's interesting now (to me at least) to identify what I got right here and what I totally missed.

The main thrust of the GOP candidates' rhetoric is their version of the right's populism. "I'm an outsider and I'm uncorruptable". In this email exchange, I didn't speak to the sort of fear/hate pandering noted by Paul Waldman above but, as I wrote at the time, it was obviously coming. I just didn't appreciate how ugly it would be. Sillyfuckingme.

And though not mentioned in that email, I had figured that the echoes of Occupy Wall Street would be a significant factor on the left but the Sander's campaign and popularity has taken me by surprise (the left's version of the populist sentiments).

And the following, from Jon Chait, has taken me (and everyone else) utterly by surprise...
Quote:
The clearest sign of Trump’s intentions is the conscious fashion in which he has tried to co-opt the appeal of Bernie Sanders (who, like Trump, has opened up a populist attack on his party’s consensus). Trump’s argument is that he agrees with Sanders on trade, but only Trump can put his critique into practice:

Quote:
"The one thing we very much agree on is trade. We both agree that we are getting ripped off by China, by Japan, by Mexico, everyone we do business with," Trump said.
"The difference is: I can do something about it. I'm going to renegotiate those trade deals, and I'm going to make them good. I mean, they're going to be really good," he said.
"Bernie can't do anything about it, because it's not his thing," Trump continued. "He won't be able to do anything about it. I'll create absolute gold out of those deals."
http://nym.ag/1PhH5tG
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 8 Feb, 2016 05:06 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
What does EJ stand for? Economics Journal? Environmental Journal? Other?

Sorry, osso. Way behind on my reading/responding.

EJ is EJ Dionne of the Washington Post. One of my favorite humans. I became familiar with him years ago when he would sometimes appear on the PBS Newshour friday show. Smart, fair-minded, kind guy.
oralloy

Mon 8 Feb, 2016 05:18 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
For those who deem Rick Snyder is one of the sleaziest humans presently plodding this down and out planet, take a look at this from Digby
http://bit.ly/1XbGJbf

The only thing sleazy here is the glee that Liberals always exude when a disaster occurs and they anticipate falsely accusing conservatives of causing it.
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 8 Feb, 2016 05:20 pm
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:
Snyder's the governor involved in the Flint water situation,

Don't be silly. It's hardly his fault.
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 8 Feb, 2016 05:23 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
What then is the connection between the birthday cake and the Failure of the Flint City water authorities to continue using their phosphate water treatment/corrosion inhibitor during a temporary abnormal water source event? The problem arose in a the municipal water department of a Democrat City government. There were oversight failures in both the State and Federal Government, though those in the EPA were worse and longer lasting.

If you keep on pointing out facts, the Liberals are going to start pouting.

Laughing
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 8 Feb, 2016 05:24 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:
You mean the Republican governor who effectively poisoned a large number of people directly as a result of his attempt to save money by using cheaper filtration and a dirtier water source? That stalwart public servant?

Nonsense. He had nothing to do with it.
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 8 Feb, 2016 05:31 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:
The responsibility for this catastrophe is being bandied around, but the bottom line is that Snyder appointed the Emergency Manager, Darnell Earley, who has been identified as the one who made the decision to use the dirty water source. Should the Governor be held responsible for decisions made by his appointed subordinates? I guess there is some basis for argument there.

What needs to happen now is Mr. Obama and Mr Biden both need to resign and let the Speaker take over the White House. After all, it was their EPA and their FEMA that failed to protect the citizens of Flint.

(Don't mind me. I'm just acting like a Liberal for a post.)
blatham

Mon 8 Feb, 2016 05:45 pm
Interesting piece from Martin Longman at Washington Monthly. I'll just quote the last graph I find very compelling...
Quote:
I wish these Orange County Republican-types would, once in a while, reconsider how FDR found a middle ground between the xenophobic national-greatness appeal of fascism and the brutal excesses of Bolshevism. But that would require them to admit that they’ve wrong about the New Deal since the beginning.
http://bit.ly/1PhKB7t
And why would such an admission be such a big deal? That's an interesting question, isn't it?

Some of the answer lies in recognizing that the version of "proper" conservative ideology presently in vogue was not always held to be so. As Ike famously wrote to his brother...
Quote:
Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things. Among them are H. L. Hunt (you possibly know his background), a few other Texas oil millionaires, and an occasional politician or business man from other areas.5 Their number is negligible and they are stupid.
http://bit.ly/1TOV3GN
Nixon, Ford and Bush Sr were far more moderate in this than what is now the case. Even Reagan, if one considers his actual behavior in office rather than the mythical notions forwarded by Norquist and others, was nowhere as extreme as Rubio or Gingrich or Cruz, etc.

0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 8 Feb, 2016 05:47 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
The city was under state management. The manager appointed by the state on more than one occasion ignored the vote of the city council since under the state control the city council had no power.

The city is infested with Liberals, and they ran the place into bankruptcy.

parados wrote:
The state appointed manager refused to negotiate a new contract with Detroit until the new water system was online forcing the city to use another source which the city manager decided to be the Flint River.

Given the way Detroit was acting, it seems unlikely that Flint was offered any sort of reasonable contract.
cicerone imposter

Mon 8 Feb, 2016 05:49 pm
@oralloy,
That's very funny! Seems you lack American history information about which presidents have done best for America and Americans.
0 Replies

snood

Mon 8 Feb, 2016 05:51 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

snood wrote:
The responsibility for this catastrophe is being bandied around, but the bottom line is that Snyder appointed the Emergency Manager, Darnell Earley, who has been identified as the one who made the decision to use the dirty water source. Should the Governor be held responsible for decisions made by his appointed subordinates? I guess there is some basis for argument there.

What needs to happen now is Mr. Obama and Mr Biden both need to resign and let the Speaker take over the White House. After all, it was their EPA and their FEMA that failed to protect the citizens of Flint.

(Don't mind me. I'm just acting like a Liberal for a post.)

Ha ha. But you have to admit, it is a rational argument that could be had about the general concept of how much responsibility an executive officer has for the decisions his subordinates make. It's an argument that goes on in boardrooms and classrooms and courts martial and it's not at all a black and white, clear cut issue, IMO.
oralloy

Mon 8 Feb, 2016 05:51 pm
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:
Meanwhile, the governor and his wife eat expensive cake. Not only a cake but a cake symbolizing his wife's love of shopping. Kind of a slap in the face to the people of flint.

Don't be silly. It is hardly a slap in the face for the governor and his wife to have birthdays.
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 8 Feb, 2016 05:53 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
And on the other side of the scale, what Pope Francis would think of this.

Do you think Pope Francis would act like a Liberal and dance with glee when he saw suffering that he might be able to falsely blame a Conservative for?
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 8 Feb, 2016 06:00 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
If it was standard stuff, it makes it even harder to understand how Snyder and his team got it so very very wrong - after warnings.

That's easy. Snyder and his team had nothing to do with it.

ehBeth wrote:
Save a couple million bucks?

It's generally a good thing for a city to stay financially solvent.

ehBeth wrote:
put some poor people (yeah, not all of Flint has the problem, it's concentrated in some specific neighbourhoods) in significant danger?

When the decision was made to switch to a new water supply, they didn't anticipate that Detroit would play hardball and cut them off immediately, before they could build their new pipeline.

Once they were cut off from Detroit water, using the Flint River seemed a better choice than telling people that they had to go without water for a year.
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 8 Feb, 2016 06:07 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:
Ha ha. But you have to admit, it is a rational argument that could be had about the general concept of how much responsibility an executive officer has for the decisions his subordinates make. It's an argument that goes on in boardrooms and classrooms and courts martial and it's not at all a black and white, clear cut issue, IMO.

I think the argument is silly. And it is just as (un)reasonable to blame Mr. Obama for the crisis as it is to blame Mr. Snyder.
blatham

Mon 8 Feb, 2016 06:20 pm
Getting real about revolution (and even without quoting John Lennon). Paul Waldman at his second perch at Washington Monthly...
Quote:
Even if both Sanders and Clinton claim not to be part of the establishment—him with somewhat more justification than her—neither one of their presidencies would affect that establishment much one way or the other. While you can scarcely run for office these days without promising to "change the way they do business in Washington," the truth is that nobody does, not even presidents, except in the tiniest ways. Clinton certainly won't; there's no single individual in Democratic politics who is more establishment than her, and she's spent decades figuring out how to master and use the system as it is to achieve her personal and policy goals.

But Sanders almost certainly won't, either. Does anyone really believe that at the end of four or eight years of a Sanders administration, we'd have a Supreme Court that had remade campaign finance (and by the way, overturning Citizens United wouldn't be nearly enough to do it) so that the undue influence of those "millionaires and billionaires" would be but a memory; that corporate lobbyists would be unwelcome in the halls of Congress; that government's outputs would fully express the will and interests of ordinary folk; and that there would be no more party infrastructure that stays around even as governments change?

That doesn't mean that Sanders might not accomplish many worthy goals and move the country in a more liberal direction. He might. But if you're hoping for him or Clinton—or anyone else—to defeat "the establishment," in any meaningful way, you're bound to be disappointed.
http://bit.ly/1PhPjCm

He's right, of course. The problem is rather like one handsome, muscular sailor trying to push a carrier.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 8 Feb, 2016 06:28 pm
I love this man. Just love him to pieces. What an American patriot he is. A true scholar to boot. And he's just so darn sane.
Quote:
National Rifle Association board member Ted Nugent shared a graphic suggesting that Jews are "really behind" gun-safety laws. The image was previously posted on Stormfront, the most prominent American white supremacist website.
http://mm4a.org/1PhQnGf
Here's the image that attends https://www.facebook.com/tednugent/photos/a.415262022296.178371.124016042296/10153470914987297/?type=3
0 Replies

ossobuco

Mon 8 Feb, 2016 06:46 pm
@blatham,
'K, thanks. I used to read him a fair amount, just don't think of him by the initials.
blatham

Mon 8 Feb, 2016 06:51 pm
@ossobuco,
Yeah, sorry about that.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Mon 8 Feb, 2016 06:55 pm
FBI Formally Confirms Its Investigation Of Hillary Clinton’s Email Server

Last edited Mon Feb 8, 2016, 05:44 PM - Edit history (1)
Source: NBC NEWS

By Pete Williams

In a letter disclosed Monday in a federal court filing, the FBI confirms one of the world’s worst-kept secrets: It is looking into Hillary Clinton’s use of a private email server.

Why say this at all, since it was widely known to be true? Because in August in response to a judge’s direction, the State Department asked the FBI for information about what it was up to. Sorry, the FBI said at the time, we can neither confirm nor deny the existence of any investigation.

Now, in a letter dated February 2 and filed in court Monday, the FBI’s general counsel, James Baker, notes that in public statements and congressional testimony, the FBI “has acknowledged generally that it is working on matters related to former Secretary Clinton’s use of a private email server.”

Baker says the FBI has not, however, “publicly acknowledged the specific focus, scope or potential targets of any such proceedings.”

Read more: http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/fbi-formally-confirms-its-investigation-hillary-clintons-email-server

Pressure On Lynch To Step Aside In Clinton Email Probe

By Julian Hattem - 02/08/16 06:00 AM EST
Loretta Lynch is on the edge of the spotlight, about to be dragged to the center.

If the FBI finds sufficient evidence to launch a criminal investigation into Hillary Clinton or one of her top aides for mishandling classified information, Lynch’s Justice Department will have to decide whether to press ahead.

Even if no evidence of wrongdoing is found, Clinton’s many critics are unlikely to take the word of an appointee of President Obama’s and will doubt that justice has been served.

Already, top Republicans are calling for a special prosecutor to be brought in and evaluate the situation.

No. 2 Senate Republican John Cornyn (Texas) took to the floor of the Senate last week to call for a special counsel to be appointed “because of the conflict of interest by asking Attorney General Lynch to investigate and perhaps even prosecute somebody in the Obama administration.”

MORE...

http://thehill.com/policy/national-security/268456-pressure-on-lynch-to-step-aside-in-clinton-email-probe