When will Hillary Clinton give up her candidacy ?

Blickers

Sun 31 Jan, 2016 11:10 am
@edgarblythe,
Re: "Hillary-Change we can barely notice".

When Obama first took office, the country had LOST 6 Million Full Time jobs the previous year. Now the country has GAINED 2.5 Million Full Time jobs the past 12 months, and over 5 Million in the past two years. I like an America where jobs are more and more available, for this not only is good for the individuals and their families, but more people working Full Time means more taxes being paid to cut the deficit and deal with the debt, plus more money into the Social Security and Medicare funds.

I have no problem with continuing the course that brought us from the mess Obama faced when he first took over to the much improved state we are in now.
edgarblythe

Sun 31 Jan, 2016 11:15 am
@Blickers,
All that did was slow the bleeding. It did not solve many problems.
Blickers

Sun 31 Jan, 2016 11:26 am
@edgarblythe,
On the contrary, I find a lot of problems being solved. Take the debt/ GDP raio, which is the real measure of debt. The 2008 crash really set us back, the debt / GDP ratio went from 63% to 99%. But now that growth has slowed to a mere 1.2% annually for the past three years, and at this rate it is likely to be going downward soon.
http://cdn.tradingeconomics.com/charts/united-states-government-debt-to-gdp.png?s=usadebt2gdp&v=201601121542m

All these numbnuts, both in and out of Congress, are running around screaming "Financial crash! Financial crash! It's coming. Aaauggghh!!" And yet all I see is the economy righting itself, more and more Full Time jobs getting filled, more and more Federal revenues being collected and the debt service at a manageable 8.8% of Federal on-budget revenues. Doesn't look like any financial crash to me, it looks like an economy that is improving itself at an accelerating rate.
georgeob1

Sun 31 Jan, 2016 12:35 pm
@Blickers,
You can thank the Republican Congress for the levelling off of the ratio. Still the current value of the ratio is dangerously high. Our government issues highly sought after bonds in a fairly risky financial world. Our current status as the issuer of the world's reference currency helps us a lot in this area, but that status won't last forever (or even more than a decade or so).

The least painful way to do that is through real economic growth and continued spending restraint. Unfortunately that appears to be a low priority for the current administration.
Blickers

Sun 31 Jan, 2016 02:25 pm
@georgeob1,
I will only thank the Republican Congress for good economic performance since 2011 with a Democratic President when I hear a couple of Republicans, when discussing economic performance during the 1980s, say, "Ronnie who? Three cheers for Tip O'Neill !!"

In addition, the much maligned manufacturing sector was in free fall until Obama took office, as this chart illustrates. Please don't try to sneak credit for this to the Republican Congress george, for as you can see, the turnaround happened two years before John Boehner could even sniff Nancy Pelosi's seat as Speaker:
http://cdn.tradingeconomics.com/charts/united-states-gdp-from-manufacturing.png?s=unitedstagdpfroman&v=201601302305m&d1=20060101&d2=20161231
cicerone imposter

Sun 31 Jan, 2016 02:48 pm
@Blickers,
There's a study under CBS News that shows the economy does better under democratic presidents.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Sun 31 Jan, 2016 05:20 pm
@edgarblythe,
Just so I dont remind you of you and Lash. I at least give you the privledge of disagreeing with me without insulting your intellagence.
Lash

Sun 31 Jan, 2016 05:28 pm
@edgarblythe,
For some crazy fun, join a few Bernie supporter pages - you can locate some from my page (FB). It is HILARIOUS, and a bit tribal.

We're getting a bit punch drunk from tension.

A Trump supporter page was getting really bent out of shape, so my friend the Republican economist linked me... Needless to say, it is live.

I'm behaving incredibly well so far, trying to lure them to the light... Wink
0 Replies

Lash

Sun 31 Jan, 2016 05:38 pm
Bernie is so hot. Smoldering sexypants of Brooklyn.

http://www.cnn.com/

btw - Trump is starting to look like some woodland creature caricature...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sun 31 Jan, 2016 06:56 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

Just so I dont remind you of you and Lash. I at least give you the privledge of disagreeing with me without insulting your intellagence.

I don't demean your intelligence. Was just concerned with your posting the same thing so many times. But I do apologize.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 31 Jan, 2016 07:29 pm
Quote:
Hillary Clinton and the audacity of political realism
by Ezra Klein on January 28, 2016

http://bit.ly/1SSlyM7

As a matter of feedback, could I ask folks to just let me know whether they bothered to read it.
blatham

Sun 31 Jan, 2016 07:33 pm
Here's another, from Paul Krugman
Quote:
Like many people, I’ve described the competition between Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders as an argument between competing theories of change, which it is. But underlying that argument is a deeper dispute about what’s wrong with America, what brought us to the state we’re in.

To oversimplify a bit — but only, I think, a bit — the Sanders view is that money is the root of all evil. Or more specifically, the corrupting influence of big money, of the 1 percent and the corporate elite, is the overarching source of the political ugliness we see all around us.

The Clinton view, on the other hand, seems to be that money is the root of some evil, maybe a lot of evil, but it isn’t the whole story. Instead, racism, sexism and other forms of prejudice are powerful forces in their own right. This may not seem like a very big difference — both candidates oppose prejudice, both want to reduce economic inequality. But it matters for political strategy.

As you might guess, I’m on the many-evils side of this debate.
http://nyti.ms/1SSlWtT
And once more, could those who go on to read the full piece please let me know. I'm away for a bit but will check in tomorrow.
Blickers

Mon 1 Feb, 2016 02:25 am
@blatham,
Okay, read both of them.

To me, putting in Hillary is putting in someone who will continue in the Bill Clinton and Obama Administrations, which is fine by me. I think both Presidents left the country in much better shape than they found it.
revelette2

Mon 1 Feb, 2016 08:53 am
@blatham,
Speaking for myself, I read this one and I can understand their feelings completely.

Quote:
In mid-2014, Noam Scheiber tracked down 10 former Iowa precinct captains for Barack Obama and asked whom they were supporting in 2016. The answer? Overwhelmingly, they were backing Hillary Clinton — the very candidate they had worked so hard to beat in 2008. Seven of the 10 ex-Obama organizers told him they'd become "enthusiastic" Clinton supporters, and an eighth said she was "slowly coming around."

The reassessment of Hillary Clinton was driven in part by the disillusionments of the Obama years. "Watching the system not change really made an impact on these people," Scheiber told me. "I don't think they want to get burned again."

In 2008, Obama promised to transform American politics. By 2014, it was clear he had failed. Even Obama admits his presidency hasn't fulfilled the hopes raised by his campaign. "A singular regret for me is the fact that our body politic has become more polarized, the language, the spirit has become meaner than when I came in," he told Politico.

If Obama was surprised by his presidency's failure to change the tenor of American politics, Clinton probably wasn't. She had always been clear that Obamaism was, in her view, shot through with naiveté about the nature of both American politics and Republican opposition.

"I could stand up here and say, 'Let's just get everybody together, Let's get unified. The sky will open. The light will come down. Celestial choirs will be singing. And everyone will know we should do the right thing and the world will be perfect,'" Clinton said in 2008. "Maybe I've just lived a little long, but I have no illusions about how hard this is going to be. You are not going to wave a magic wand and have the special interests disappear."

As the 2016 election came closer into view, Clinton looked more dominant than she had even in 2008 — her poll numbers were higher, her challengers weaker, her endorsements more impressive. Liberals, chastened by the disappointments of the Obama years, seemed to recognize Clinton's prescience. "It may be that coming out of this period, where Congress has been so obstinate, so difficult to move ... that people are looking for someone whose central skill is how to work the power structure," Larry Grisolano, a top Obama pollster, told Scheiber.

Or maybe not.

With less than a week to go before Iowa, Bernie Sanders has pulled even with Clinton in the polls. He has done so without the money, institutional backing, and deep intraparty divisions over Iraq that powered Obama's 2008 win. It is, by any measure, an extraordinary political achievement. But it also clarifies the challenge Clinton faced in 2008, and faces this year.

How do you win as a political realist when the reality of politics is this grim?

There's never been anything audacious about hope
revelette2

Mon 1 Feb, 2016 08:57 am
Quote:
According to our latest polls-plus forecast, Hillary Clinton has a 66% chance of winning the Iowa caucuses.

Our forecasts don’t produce a single expected vote share for each candidate, but rather generate a range of possible outcomes, shown below. The range will be wider or narrower under certain circumstances: For instance, it narrows as the election gets closer. Our estimate of each candidate’s chance of winning the state is based on these ranges.

For graph and explanation as to how they conduct their forecast go to 538
blatham

Mon 1 Feb, 2016 09:33 am
@Blickers,
thanks Blickers
Both Paul and Ezra are pretty smart fellas and each present the case very well, I think.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 1 Feb, 2016 09:38 am
@revelette2,
Thanks for feedback, rev. Gail Sheehy has an interesting piece up as well. It's definitely mixed but one passage really caught my attention...

Quote:
“Where is the enthusiasm for Hillary? It’s a fair question,” admits Lynn Forester de Rothschild, 61, a loyal donor and fund-raiser for Mrs. Clinton. When Mr. Obama won the nomination in 2008, Ms. de Rothschild resigned in fury from the Democratic platform committee and marched out of the convention leading a group called PUMA — “party unity my ass’” — to vote for John McCain.

“Shame on us — Democrats and particularly friends of Hillary — because we allowed Republicans and the media to paint a caricature of Hillary for far too long,” Ms. de Rothschild told me.
http://nyti.ms/1PtAkGP
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 1 Feb, 2016 09:40 am
@revelette2,
Quote:
For graph and explanation as to how they conduct their forecast go to 538

And here's a Vox short piece on the polling from Ann Seltzer http://bit.ly/1PtAAFD
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 1 Feb, 2016 09:47 am
Ginni Thomas is campaigning for Ted Cruz. No big surprise but a fine clue, if it was needed, regarding what a Cruz presidency and future supreme court would look like.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 1 Feb, 2016 11:58 am
From Josh Marshall re HIllary and emails
Quote:
Here's the reality. Who knows what we will learn in the future? And this has nothing to do with the political impact of the "emails controversy". But as a legal matter, the chances of Hillary Clinton facing any kind of indictment are very, very low.

Start with the fact that as far as we know, she is not actually even being investigated for anything, let alone facing a looming indictment. The simple facts, as we know them, just don't put her in line for an indictment. The first reason is the facts, which rest heavily on intent and reckless negligence. The second is tradition and DOJ regulations which make professional prosecutors very leery of issuing indictments that might be perceived or in fact influence an election. This was my thinking. But as the press coverage has become increasingly heated, I started trying to figure out if there was something I was missing - some fact I didn't know, some blindspot in my perception. So I've spoken to a number of law profs and former federal prosecutors - based on the facts we know now even from the most aggressive reporting. Not like, is this theoretically possible? Not, what the penalties would be if it happened. But is an indictment at all likely or is this whole idea very far-fetched. To a person, very far-fetched.

So why the press coverage? I think it's a combination of reasons. The most irreducible and perhaps most significant is simply prestige reporter derp and general ignorance of the legal system. Second is journalists' perennial inability to resist a process story. And third, let's be honest, wingnut page views.
http://bit.ly/1QTWlzB