When will Hillary Clinton give up her candidacy ?

blatham

Sat 30 Jan, 2016 08:31 pm
@Blickers,
Quote:
Clearly he meant trolling in the way of personal attacks, not trolling as going slightly off-topic.

It's why I said it could quite reasonably be argued that I engage in a species of trolling. And as I said, I think of it that way, but with the proviso that we understand different types of the thing. John Cleese once recounted an incident where their TV show, just aired, contained some skit involving the Queen Mom being crushed by a load of fish or something like that. And when the exited the studio one night after filming for the new show, an elderly lady was waiting and began to beat them with her umbrella. Cleese said that verified for them they were doing it right.

There are fine reasons to cause offense and lousy reasons to do it. There are responsible motivations behind some acts of disruption and really awful motivations behind others. One has to sort this stuff out but a key clue here is noting that almost all humorists are liberal-minded. Another clue is that the really dangerous people are the ones who are very, very serious as a matter not of circumstance but of personality.

Quote:
blatham's postings on the right wing "scandal" machine are pretty much on topic.

One simply cannot properly understand modern American politics without appreciating this element. This is key. Thanks, Blickers.
blatham

Sat 30 Jan, 2016 08:42 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
I don't want you to shut the **** up

I knew that. We are fond of each other yet on the very edge of... it's hard to say. I think of us as a pair of quite odd but endearing Charles Dickens characters who have somehow fallen through the leather cover and into a Tarantino movie. So stay out of the kitchen for another 20 minutes, please.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 30 Jan, 2016 08:43 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Re: revelette2 (Post 6116788)
You're doing just fine. I like reading your posts.

Indeed.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 30 Jan, 2016 08:45 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
It will not matter to the Hillary crowd. They just want a coronation.

Not me. I just want his humidor.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 30 Jan, 2016 08:48 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
There is nothin' more fun that being on an outing with Bernie and a2k friends.

You're one of my faves, girl. Always have been.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 30 Jan, 2016 09:11 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
breaks up the monotony

I could hardly hope for a better result. Monotony is horrid. The main reason I decided not to carry through with an early goal to do archaeology as a career was through the realization of the level of patience that would be required. Far beyond what my personality might manage. I remember a critical conversation I had with a visiting Egyptologist who'd been involved in researching pyramids of the middle period. She said that her team had worked for a couple of decades scanning and charting and mapping and tunneling and one after another proved to be the same. No variation. Each one held the same thing. Wheat.
cicerone imposter

Sat 30 Jan, 2016 09:16 pm
@blatham,
I also needed variety and change during my career, and accounting provided it to my total satisfaction.
blatham

Sat 30 Jan, 2016 09:37 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
I also needed variety and change during my career, and accounting provided it to my total satisfaction.

That's absolutely the weirdest thing I've ever heard anyone say. Well, other than the thing said to me after choir practice by the Bishop.
georgeob1

Sat 30 Jan, 2016 09:55 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Me, I'm discursive and digressive and chatty and self involved and a mad reader, who appreciates both of you. I've sometimes appreciated Georgeob, and sometimes growled to myself, but basically glad he's here.

Well, that's enough of that.

Well you got over THAT very quickly Osso. I have feelings you know !

Actually, thank you for that. I'm glad you're here too.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Sat 30 Jan, 2016 10:03 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

One has to sort this stuff out but a key clue here is noting that almost all humorists are liberal-minded. Another clue is that the really dangerous people are the ones who are very, very serious as a matter not of circumstance but of personality.

Well Blatham is, once again, half right. The one consistent lesson I have derived from history is that most of the preventable human suffering in the world came at the hands of very serious people who were sure they knew what was good for everyone else, and were willing to make them do it. Today we call them progressives.

The most humorous folks in the world are conservatives with a sense of irony. (Think of Ben Franklin.)
Blickers

Sat 30 Jan, 2016 10:14 pm
@blatham,
Quote cicerone imposter:
Quote:

Quote blatham:
Quote:
That's absolutely the weirdest thing I've ever heard anyone say.

Yeah, but you haven't seen the kind of creative accounting cicerone does. Offshoring? Cayman Islands accounts? Amateurs compared to ci!! Laughing
cicerone imposter

Sun 31 Jan, 2016 01:04 am
@Blickers,
No. I went to work for Florsheim Shoes after graduating from college, and worked as a Field Auditor in the seven western states - doing my own scheduling. After 3.5 years, I was promoted to Audit Manager, and we had to move to Chicago. After seven years, we got lonely for family and friends, so we returned to Ca. I worked as a controller for a couple of small companies, and also did consulting work for small businesses. The money was good, so I bought income property. I retired early, and have enjoyed world travel. Still do.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 31 Jan, 2016 06:14 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
The one consistent lesson I have derived from history is that most of the preventable human suffering in the world came at the hands of very serious people who were sure they knew what was good for everyone else, and were willing to make them do it. Today we call them progressives.

And the worst of these dudes was Jesus. What a jerk. And then, in those oppressive footsteps, Lincoln. And then all hell breaks loose with suffragettes and feminists and such.

As I've noted earlier, in 1980, in every state in the union, it was legal for husbands to rape their wives, a grand tradition upheld by the Warren court.

Oppression top to bottom. Why on earth do we listen to such people?
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 31 Jan, 2016 06:24 am
Here's a great podcast with Emily Bazelon, John Dickerson, David Plotz and Jane Mayer. The best of it is when Mayer joins in (re her new book on the Koch brothers which I've just ordered) at 30 minutes. Plotz describe Mayer as "the best reporter" kicking about these days. It's a valid notion, for sure. http://slate.me/1nFLC0c

And let me add, in listening to Mayer describe the history and strategy of these guys, consider our present discussion on Sanders vs Clinton regarding whether the smarter, more realistic vision is rapid and revolutionary change or incrementalism.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 31 Jan, 2016 07:07 am
A while ago, I bumped into this debate between James Baldwin and William Buckley. If you care to attend, I think most of you are likely to agree that Baldwin is one of the brightest minds you will ever have encountered. What an extraordinary man. If no time available now, bookmark it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbkObXxSUus
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 31 Jan, 2016 07:34 am
I'm going to drop this in. It's a little bit tricky so take your time with it, if you care to, of course.

Trump is causing chaos on the right. It is a truly remarkable phenomenon. Here's another manifestation of this that I've just begun to understand more clearly in the last couple of days.

Over the last while, I found myself getting anxious that the Fox/Trump feud might have the consequence of presenting Fox as an objective or non-partisan news operation thus bolstering it's most fundamental subterfuge. But in this, as so much else, Trump overturns the normal rules.

Because he is really neither a Republican nor a conservative, he is breaking the normal covenant between right wing candidates or agents and Fox where - understanding that Fox is a crucial partisan political ally - they will just not do or say certain things. And a key thing to be avoided here is lumping Fox in with all the other bad (unfair, prejudiced) media. They all must maintain the fiction that Fox, uniquely, has no agenda, eg "the no spin zone".

And then Trump flips everything upside down.

Because his PR thrust is based on the presentation of himself as being uniquely independent of (and above) any establishment entity, he really has to lump Fox in with other media. That's why he has turned the rightwing media's main lie back on Fox - "Your network is unfair to me. Your network is biased."

That was the source of my anxiety. People may come to see this as evidence that Fox is objective. But as I thought about this a bit more, it occurred to me that the last thing Ailes wants is for his audience to start thinking that Fox is no longer their ally. That's his big dilemma now. Ailes can lose a significant share of his audience. They don't want Fox to be fair or balanced, they just want to keep pretending it is.

I really didn't see this coming.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 31 Jan, 2016 07:51 am
And this is for georgeob. An olive branch from myself and EJ Dionne...
Quote:
But at the risk of spoiling the fun, the crisis of conservatism is actually a problem for all of us — and I say that as an unabashed liberal. An intellectually vibrant conservatism is essential to a healthy democracy. The United States needs conservatives willing to criticize the grand plans we liberals sometimes offer, to remind us that traditional institutions should not be overturned lightly and to challenge those who believe that politics can remold human nature.

At its best, as Philip Wallach and Justus Myers argued in National Affairs , conservatism is a “disposition” that “has the most to offer societies that have much worth conserving.” Even those of us who are critical of our nation’s injustices and inequalities can agree that the United States is such a society.
http://wapo.st/1KPmwAQ

I actually share those notions. Which is why I detested Thatcher's version of conservatism. As one wag put it, "Thatcher can't look at an institution without wanting to hit it with her purse"
0 Replies

revelette2

Sun 31 Jan, 2016 08:38 am
Iowa Caucus: Road to the White House Starts in Hawkeye State

Quote:
The presidential nomination process officially gets underway Monday when Iowa holds its first-in-the-nation caucuses in the 99 counties across the state.

The basics
•When they vote: The caucuses start at 8 p.m. ET. at 1,681 precincts around Iowa

•Delegates up for grabs: 30 bound GOP delegates, awarded proportionally (though the actual delegates are selected at later conventions); 44 delegates up for grabs in the Democratic race plus an additional 8 super-delegates. How they are selected vary greatly by party.

•The polls: The latest NBC News polling has Donald Trump leading the Republican race, and Hillary Clinton narrowly ahead of Bernie Sanders on the Democrats side.

•Full coverage: Every angle on the races can be found at Decision 2016. (embedded at the source)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sun 31 Jan, 2016 10:45 am
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-dcQtdPy93vo/Vq4tvwQ9FkI/AAAAAAAACGg/gnwaBLhx_7o/s640/Slogans.png
Lash

Sun 31 Jan, 2016 10:48 am
I liked the poll-tested, consultant-approved...til I saw the Maggie Thatcher one. LOL.
0 Replies