ADAM'S RIB

Olivier5

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2015 05:06 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
It is not so enlightening to have a discussion on any given topic with people I agree with. Neither of us will learn anything.

I disagree, but to each his own pet posters.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2015 01:02 am
@maxdancona,
Opinions "backed up by facts" cease to be opinions, and become facts themselves, Mr. Science. You didn't like the tone of my first post, you got your little lace panties in a twist? This is the entire opening post:

Setanta wrote:
I truly do not understand why so many men are terrified of women, vilify them all the time, beat, rape and murder them. What are they afraid of? When one considers just how dangerous society is for women, i am amazed at the ordinary courage they display on a daily basis--just to go out of the house into public may well be taking their lives in their hands.

I like 'em . . . we need more of them.

Do you deny that women are vilified (you do it yourself all the time)? Do you deny that they are beaten, raped and murdered? Do you deny that women are in danger while out in public in this society? Your "facts" are just your typical idiotic rant against women--they have nothing to do with my opening post.

I called you a troll because you have come into this thread and have attempted to take it over, just as you did my thread about speed limits with your brain dead claim that people who observe speed limits endanger you. However, it was entertaining with your hilarious claims about driving from Boston to Rochester. This thread is not about your obsessive fear and hatred of women. This thread is not about you. Your behavior in this thread is a classic example of troll behavior.

There is absolutely no "ideological narrative" in operation here. You are the one who has brought an obsessive ideological position into the the thread, with a battalion of straw man fallacies. I simply said that women suffer abuse and that i admire them for their courage. I simply said i wish there were more of them. You created your bizarre fantasies out of your own head, not out of anything which i wrote. That's why i call you a troll. I call you an idiot (if in fact i did--i do recall describing you as a great braying jackass) because all of your assumptions upon which your straw man fallacies are based are idiotic.

Quote:
I have no problem with you expressing your opinion. It it the fact that you think you need to shut down anyone who questions your opinion with personal attacks and name-calling that is the problem.

This is utter bullshit. I called you names which you richly deserved because you came into this thread ranting about your obsessive hatred of women, completely without reference to what i actually wrote, and you proceeded to trash the thread, just as you trashed my thread on speed limits with your incredibly stupid and entirely unbelievable claims.

In fact, if there were any justice in this world, you would owe me an apology.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2015 09:51 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
you got your little lace panties in a twist?

That's an awful gender-based slur... You're trying to insult a man by calling him woman-like.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2015 01:26 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Do you deny that women are in danger while out in public in this society?

Yes. This is an opinion that is contradicted by the facts.

Women are one of the safest groups in this society. They are less likely to get beaten, mugged, murdered, or attacked than any other demographic group our. They are more likely to be raped.. but if you include rape with all other violent crimes (including murder and grave physical assault) women are safer than men in any measurable way.

Again, the BJS statistics are available for anyone see. Check them out for yourself. http://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=pbdetail&iid=5111.

Those are the facts. Of course you are entitled to your own opinion in spite of the facts. But in a public forum you shouldn't be upset when someone calls you out on it.

maxdancona

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2015 01:35 pm
@Olivier5,
Yes Olivier, Setanta's lace panties comment is humorously ironic.
Olivier5

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2015 02:10 pm
@maxdancona,
Should have put a winking smiley after that post of mine, to signal irony... Glad you got it. :-)

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2015 05:42 pm
@maxdancona,
Oh, Mr. Science strikes again. You really have no rhetorical skills at all. It doesn't matter which group is most tin danger. If women are in danger at all, my remark is justified, and it's not opinion, it's fact. You can't get those things into your thick skull because you seem to think this is some kind of contest. How safe women are compared to men doesn't mean a damned thing. In fact, and i do mean fact, your source confirms that women are in danger while out in public. But i'm sure we can look forward to more idiocy from you.

Do me a favor and stay the hell out of my threads until you overcome your natural stupidity.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2015 05:52 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
It doesn't matter which group is most tin danger. If women are in danger at all, my remark is justified, and it's not opinion, it's fact.

This is funny.

Since you now seem to accept the statistical fact that women are in less danger of violent attack then any other group in our society, you now say that if women have any amount risk (not matter how small), then it is still correct to say they are "in danger".

By this logic we are all always in danger. This seems a little silly to me, but you have a right to this opinion.

At least you now seem to accept the obvious facts. You have made progress, Setanta.

The real group that is at risk in our society by any measure is Black men. They are not far more likely than women to be victims of violence (and are far more vulnerable in general). This fact always seems to get eclipsed.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2015 05:59 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Do me a favor and stay the hell out of my threads until you overcome your natural stupidity.

This is a public forum. I have every right to express my opinions, even when you disagree. I will point out that all I have done so without name-calling or personal attack. I have been the only person to support my opinions with facts rather than ad hominems.

You can't bully people into agreeing with you, nor can you silence them when we disagree. When you try, you just get my lace panties in a wad.

Setanta

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2015 06:15 pm
@maxdancona,
This is what i mean about your stupidity. You responded to my question of whether or not you deny that women are in danger when they go out in public with a flurry of indignation and what you claimed are facts. As i did not make any comparative statement about women being in danger, your facts are meaningless. Now you describe this as having rendered your opinion, rather than facts, when you've been stomping around ranting about facts for pages and pages.

maxdancona

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2015 06:35 pm
@Setanta,
I don't buy that Setanta.

The fact is, according to the BJS statistics which I provided, that women are less in danger of violent crime than every other group in US society (when you count all violent crime as a whole). And that women are in less danger of any category of violent crime other than sexual assault.

There is an interesting question of why you posted this thread, and why it has received so much support (in spite of the statistics)

Black men is the demographic group that has a significantly higher risk of being the victims of violent crime. Why isn't there a thread about this? Women play much better into gender stereotypes as victims of violent crimes even though statistically they are the least likely victim. This takes away from from real issues.

(P.s. Setanta. What you and I are doing is completely consensual. In spite of your angry tone I assume you are enjoying it as much as I am... or there would be nothing to keep you from just stopping. I don't like giving in when I am being bullied, but that isn't enough to keep me here if I weren't enjoying it. You do get my panties is such a wad.)
Setanta

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2015 12:51 am
@maxdancona,
You don't buy it because you're a f*cking idiot. I didn't say that women were more likely to be in danger, i just said they were in danger. You don't "buy" it because you're trying to shoehorn the discussion into your brain-dead obsession, you f*cking troll. You're too goddamned stupid to understand that where there is no comparison involved, your "facts" are not relevant. As long as your source indicates that there is any danger to women in society, my statement is correct. How f*cking thick can you be?

You come in here, trash this thread, and now you want to whine about being bullied. Telling you that you are stupid when you say stupid things is not bullying. Telling you that you've trashed the thread when there is post after post in which you clearly don't get it, when you can't even see the fallacies you are peddling, when you're just trolling with your obsessive hatred of and paranoia toward women is not bullying. It's just descriptive, you f*cking idiot!

Now, if you had come here to tell us why you fear and hate women, that would have been relevant.

No, i don't enjoy seeing an incredibly stupid troll trash my thread, the way you trashed the thread i started on speed limits. You're a f*cking troll, and not a very bright one either, Mr. Science. But as long as you continue to trash the thread, and especially when you do so by repeating the same idiotic, irrelevant twaddle, i'm going to tell you about it. It's just almost unbelievable that you still don't see why your remarks are meaningless
maxdancona

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2015 06:47 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
f*cking idiot... brain-dead obsession... f*cking troll... "facts" are not relevant... goddamned stupid... f*cking thick ... obsessive hatred of and paranoia ... stupid troll trash... idiotic, irrelevant twaddle

I am not the one trashing your thread.
Setanta

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2015 03:13 pm
@maxdancona,
Yeah you are . . . you just don't get it. Every response you have made is irrelevant. Because you just don't get it. You can't even see why your responses are irrelevant, and you just keep posting more tripe.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2015 08:20 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Yeah you are . . . you just don't get it. Every response you have made is irrelevant. Because you just don't get it. You can't even see why your responses are irrelevant, and you just keep posting more tripe.

... and you keep on responding.

I get this thread perfectly well. You posted a ideological statement based on a faulty premise and an ad hominem argument. When someone questioned your premise, you became increasingly abusive and you escalated to a profanity laden tirade.

It is not that hard to understand what you are doing. You have an ideological position and you have a group of people who apparently support you unquestionably regardless of the facts. You want to be able to shut down anyone who expresses any opinion that differs from yours.

How about you express your opinion without the bullying and personal insults? I will continue to do the same. You can tell me that you disagree with me without resorting to personal attacks or vulgarity.
Setanta

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2015 01:46 am
@maxdancona,
I will keep on responding, you f*cking idiot, because i started the thread and, like everyone else i have a right to respond.

No, you jackass, it was not an ideological statement. You just make that claim so that you can justify being a troll. The premise was simple enough. It's hard being a woman in this society, and i admire women for their everyday courage. It was the expression of an opinion. You couldn't keep your big mouth shut because of your obsessive fear and hatred of women. You didn't post any fact relevant to this thread. You just ranted about how you think it's harder to be a man. I wasn't making any comparative statements, but you want to make a fist fight out of it, so you keep trying to insist on a comparison. Start your own thread to whine about how hard it is to be a man, and how mean women are to you and your gentle innocent brothers.

I've already expressed my opinion. What you have done is to demonstrate that you don't get it. What you have done is to post a string of irrelevant remarks based on your false claim that this thread was ideological. Because you just don't get it. I can tell you i disagree without insults or "vulgarity" (ah, you crack me up)--but i'm not going to because you came in here with a pack of irrelevant remarks and all of your anti-woman hysteria and completely trashed a thread, the existence of which did you no harm.

You still don't get it, because you're a great braying jackass. There is no group of people, there's just you and me, because your typical idiocy has driven everyone else away.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2015 06:22 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
I will keep on responding, you f*cking idiot, because i started the thread and, like everyone else i have a right to respond ... you couldn't keep your big mouth shut because of your obsessive fear and hatred of women.

There is an interesting question here... why can't you keep your "big mouth shut"?

Setanta

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2015 01:21 pm
@maxdancona,
Because it's my thread, asshole. You crack me up, Mr. Science. The most basic things seem to escape your hawk-like gaze.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2015 02:32 pm
@maxdancona,
This is just one example of your misogynistic nature

Quote:
It is common to believe women are in danger in public and need to be protected. Many people are surprised to find out that this is factually incorrect.

Women in the U.S. are statistically less likely to be victims of violent crimes than men (according to the US government BJS victimization numbers) when you consider all violent crimes as a whole. Women are less likely to be murdered, beaten, stabbed, mugged or victims of any category of violent crime except for sexual assault.

You have no idea at all and the add on....."except for sexual assault", should be meant as a diminishing factor.

Too bad I am not a jackass whisperer, otherwise I'd take you on!

maxdancona

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2015 02:39 pm
@CalamityJane,
Hmmm Jane,

I don't know how you got the idea from the data I posted that sexual assault is a diminishing factor. Those are your words not mine. Sexual assault it is an example of a violent crime just like murder is a violent crime.

Of course sexual assault is not a diminishing factor.

Facts are facts, they aren't misogynistic. They are just facts. The relevant fact here is that when you consider all violent crimes as a whole (i.e. murder, physical assault, beating, robber) men are more likely to be victims than women. Men are more likely to be murdered. Women are more likely to be sexually assaulted. When you look at the aggregate, men are more likely to be the victim of a violent crime (without passing any judgement on murder or sexual assault).

It is interesting that this very fact is causing so much angst.

You have already stated that I am a jackass, and you have already taken me on. I welcome a new voice, I wish it could come without the personal attack... but so be it. I hope you can have an intelligent discussion.

Do you want to back up your opinion on why you think sexual assault is a "diminishing factor"?.