IS IT GETTING MEAN AROUND HERE??

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2015 05:43 am
http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/hc06aXF5tgLo8QyPNo.gmQ--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9ZmlsbDtoPTM3NTtweW9mZj0wO3E9NzU7dz0zMDA-/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ucomics.com/crbal150417.gif
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2015 05:49 am
@Ionus,
Carrier pigeons are extinct, I was just wondering how many more years you will be in the slammer.
Olivier5

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2015 05:50 am
@farmerman,
On the Hermione, i certainly hope they'll do some noise about it. Blog, documentary, travelogue, what have you. It's not everyday you do something like this.

I also wish them safe seas... I trust the replica can actually sail safely. Kids travel on this thing this time, not soldiers.

(Although Lafayette was only 19 years old when he sailed to America - he was also a kid)

Olivier5

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2015 06:05 am
@Ionus,
Create another thread and we can talk. Could get ugly.
Ionus

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2015 06:09 am
@glitterbag,
So you have decided I have access to the internet ? Awww ... who told you ?
0 Replies

oralloy

@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
LOL... I don't think so. Lordy said: "One is effing weird and the other is about the closest thing to evil that I have encountered on A2K." The latter must be Oral, our resident evil. The former could not possibly refer to you or Set, who has many reedeming qualities but weirdness is not one of them...

You may well be correct in that I am who he meant to refer to. However, I am one of a2k's strongest advocates for good. If Lordyaswas falsely accuses me of being evil, he is just being a disingenuous scumbag again.

Regarding your ongoing spat with Ionus, clearly you two got off on the wrong foot somewhere. I hope you guys can make peace.
0 Replies

Ionus

@Olivier5,
Like you said you were going to do ? THAT thread ?
farmerman

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2015 07:23 am
@Olivier5,
I think he had his 19th birthday when he LANDED. So he was like a high school senior . His pre-frontal executive synapsing was not yet fully developed.
farmerman

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2015 07:33 am
@Ionus,
Quote:
Like the following ?

That was a follow-on statement after you were trying to commit a lie about how we trace a chickens linneage to the dinosaurs by DNA sequencing . You were silly then and you still are. I yelled at you to get your head into open air again to find me some evidence of dinosaur DNA. (you, after all your accusatory comments about my bD MANNERS, Wwere unable to locate ANYTHING about dino DNA.

The argument wasnt you silly, it was your poor scholRSHIP. That was totlly relevant.

Then you started on with the Gomer, Drunk, Allzheimer's . All I did was to press my advantage on your lack of knowledge and you disappeared. (Ive remained here on A2K while you went off (hopefully you were at work)
Ionus

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2015 07:43 am
@farmerman,
I dont know who you think will believe that when I have repeatedly shown the opposite to be true . Are you a politician trying to put a positive spin on your arrogance ?

Why would I find dinosaur DNA ? The article said it was proteins that suggested certain DNA . It was a new way to assess the similarity between species apart from just examining fossils . I gave the thread for all to read, lets see if you "pressed your advantage" and I left, shall we ?

As for name calling, I take it you have forgotten the names and insults you hurled at me ? Rather convenient that .

Quote:
Ive remained here on A2K while you went off
I've no idea of the relevance of this unless you think you scared me .
farmerman

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2015 08:08 am
@Ionus,
Quote:
Why would I find dinosaur DNA ? The article said it was proteins that suggested certain DNA
Now youre just lying through your teeth.

I read the entire series of posts and I must say that youre basis of "reality' is alternate to tht of this planet.

Shall I print the PM that I sent you explaining the entire sequence of Mary SChweiter's discoveries about the " dinosaur Soft tissue" and how DNA was NEVER an issue but that collagen proteins , similar to non dinosaur reptiles (like alligators nd specific non-biird animals were initially found which caused a great deal of "sample recleaning?> (You apparently dont even recall the entire sequences of the discussion you claim to have had)

It was only after my PM to you that you changed your entire viewpoint (and you even thanked me for it.-Now you want to chqnge even that fact)

So please, dont try to mount any compost mounds. A2K may be many things but it does NOT lose our posts (nd PMs)
izzythepush

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2015 08:12 am
@farmerman,
Nobody in their right mind would believe Ionus over you. I always respect your opinion in matters scientifical. Ionus can shout and insult, but he can't reason, and he's delusional.
oralloy

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2015 08:16 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:
As for name calling, I take it you have forgotten the names and insults you hurled at me ? Rather convenient that .

Farmerman knows that he spouts childish name-calling all the time. He just lies about it.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2015 08:18 am
Like I said, nobody in their right mind.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2015 08:20 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
A2K may be many things but it does NOT lose our posts (nd PMs)

experience (and prior discussions) has taught me that we cannot rely on being able to find old pm's. there is apparently some kind of limit to those. if you have pm's that are important to you for some reason - save them somewhere else.
Olivier5

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2015 08:38 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I think he had his 19th birthday when he LANDED. So he was like a high school senior . His pre-frontal executive synapsing was not yet fully developed.

Those were the days...

Google-translated the following from
http://www.herodote.net/La_Fayette_1757_1834_-synthese-194.php

Born in Auvergne, in the castle of Chavaniac (or Chavagnac), Gilbert Motier lost his father early, killed in a war, and inherited the name/title of Marquis de Lafayette as an infant. He married at 17 years a rich heiress, Marie de Noailles. This alliance gives him access to Versailles and King Louis XV.

When he first came to Paris as a teenager, he was surprised that the common folks in the streets would not bow to him, as they would not fail to do in his fief.

With a thirst for adventure, he meets with Benjamin Franklin, who came to Versailles to plead the cause of the American Insurgents. Despite the opposition of his family, La Fayette first sails for America in 1777, on a frigate chartered at its own--or rather his wife's--expense (the Hermione was later).

In a letter to his sister, he explains his commitment thus: "Defender of Freedom that I idolize, free myself more than anyone, coming as a friend to offer my services to a much interesting republic, I only have my frankness and my good will to offer, no ambition, no interest; working for my glory, I work for their happiness. [...] America's happiness is closely linked to the happiness of all mankind; it will become the respectable and safe asylum of virtue, honesty, tolerance, equality and a quiet freedom." (letter dated 7 June 1777).

He is barely 19 when he arrives in Georgetown on June 15, 1777. Lafayette comes to Philadelphia before the US Congress and humbly asks for the right to serve as simple private. He is given the rank of major general and becomes a close collaborator and friend of Commander George Washington. He regards him as a father.

Like other European nobles (many young European noblemen took up the young republic's cause: the Polish Kosciusko, the Prussian von Steuben...), he will show in battle much bravery and professionalism. The young Marquis is wounded in the thigh at the Battle of Brandywine September 11, 1777, and after a few months of rest, proves his worth on several occasions, including entering Canada with a handful of men and rescuing two thousand insurgents besieged by the English.

In the spring of 1779 he returns to France, where he receives a hero's welcome, and advocates the cause of the insurrection, asking for a French expeditionary force. Granting his request, King Louis XVI sends a body of 6,000 men across the Atlantic under the command of General Rochambeau, with the fleet of admiral De Grasse.

Lafayette sails ahead of the expeditionary force in March 1780 (age 22 I guess), on the frigate Hermione given by the king, and arrives in Boston on April 28. Commanding the American volunteers of Virginia, he harasses Lord Cornwallis' forces and makes junction with the troops of Washington and Rochambeau.

British troops stuck in the Chesapeake Bay by the fleet of De Grasse.... decisive victory at Yorktown, 17 October 1781... La Fayette returns to France and another hero welcome...

In February 17, 1788, La Fayette creates with Brissot and Father Grégoire the "Friends of the Black Society" for the abolition of the slave trade and slavery.

A year later starts the French revolution. Lafayette is elected deputy of the nobility of Riom. On 11 July 1789, he presents to the French National Assembly the draft European Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen (voted as the Universal Declaration...), which the US Bill of Rights will emulate in December 1791.

But his contribution to our revolution is another story...
farmerman

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2015 09:00 am
@Olivier5,
So he was just 19 . talk bout connections. A major General . Moving up the ranks wasnt so hard when you came up with several hundred K.

I want to see whether Hermione is going to pass through the Chesapeake and elaware Canal. There are some cool dockside restaurants that call out the ship names of passing traffic and theres one restaurant where the canal and Bay pilots change from Chesapeake to the Delaware . I hope the damn thing doesnt leave Baltimore and sail all the way around CApe Charles .

Looking forward to it.

farmerman

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2015 09:12 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
As for name calling, I take it you have forgotten the names and insults you hurled at me
I never denied that I engaged in name calling. But Ive tried to change. Im asking tht you, Ionus, gunga, etc stop your name calling and just try to keep up debate on the issue at hnd.
If someone disagrees with you , we seem to hear that that person is automatically an idiot or a scumsucking dirtbag.

I dont suppose you realize how childish we all sound?
The purpose of this entire thread was for someone to ultimately propose that we start fresh and stop the childishness and the churlishness. I think we are ALL educated people, most with advanced degrees an lots of experience in life and professions. YET, look at this thread. Im embarrassed I even started it now. Its turned into something not to be proud of.

What Im gonna do is try to stick with my own proposal and , if anyone gets me all fired up so I want to start name calling, Ill just stop posting for a while and cool off.

This thread hs gotten weird, mysogynistic, somewhat obscene, and defintely churlish.
And we know who we are.

farmerman

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2015 09:14 am
@ehBeth,
good point. Ive pulled off a couple and stuck em in a notepad, so I can quote em with their dates of origin.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2015 09:15 am
@farmerman,
In his case, real money came late. He was born with little more than a good name and a big pair of balls. As for being named major general, I imagine the Congress did not expect much of his military skills, but saw a PR opportunity there. The boy had money but he also had guts, enthusiasm and verve to spare.