IS IT GETTING MEAN AROUND HERE??

izzythepush

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2015 04:47 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I'm not interested in Max's point, that's why I put him on ignore, and so I could stop being mean to him.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2015 04:58 pm
@izzythepush,
You can ignore someone without putting them on ignore.

That way you can ignore a specific topic that you don't want to get into with them, but then be able to interact on interesting topics without missing part of the conversation. This is how it works in real life... if someone says something that I don't want to discuss, I can simply refrain from responding. A little while latter the same person might say something interesting on another topic.

On the other hand, I agree that ignoring someone is better than being a jerk...
izzythepush

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2015 05:05 pm
@maxdancona,
I'm ignoring you. I won't intentionally read any of your posts. Including this one, (I just scrolled down enough to see you just can't but help hanging on my every word. Enjoy this reply to you, it's my last. Just try to accept it. Now,
http://sd.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk/i/piss-off-and-go-away.png
maxdancona

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2015 05:14 pm
@izzythepush,
The irony here is that Izzy is one of the most abusive posters on Able2Know. He often makes unprovoked personal attacks simply because someone dares to disagree with him. It is fine if he ignores me, or anyone else. But if there is a discussion with responses that interest me, I am going to jump in. That is how a public forum works. I don't ignore anyone, nor do I let myself be shut down.

I am here for intelligent respectful discussion with people with diverse opinions. I still hope for this. I have no problem with Izzy when we agree, and on many topics we do agree, I don't like the idea that differing opinions have to be shut down with personal attacks simply because my opinions are unacceptable to him.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2015 05:16 pm
There are an awful lot of people in this thread who have been vicious to others at times, who are now whining about how people talk to one another. They get zero sympathy from me. Before any one taxes me with my behavior, i'd like to point out that i don't start threads to complain about how others talk to me.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2015 05:18 pm
Yer a trouble maker, farmerman. All was peas and hominy before you began this thread. Now you threaten to run off and leave us with the mess you made.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2015 05:39 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I've a fairly large number on ignore, but probably not who you would expect or for the reasons you might imagine.
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2015 05:39 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I'd say it is better to just keep fat asses out of tight spots.

It's funny Frank. Because you're "being" a fat ass and in a tight spot.

A real man wouldn't be so rude to any lady.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2015 05:43 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
Really.

Well I am a real man, boy.

Deal with it.

And what make you suppose I was dealing with a lady?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2015 05:56 pm
No, and I track 20-30 threads a day. It has certainly been seeming less mean the last few months, the intolerant assholes have been on the run a bit. While I dont approve suspending threads for a week has helped I think. It seems that members are also increasingly being suspended for personal hostility, which might have helped. The intolerant assholes have done a lot of damage here and I think it is far past time for all of us to deal with the issue, to condemn them and refuse to participate in their hate filled attacks on other members. Till now we have not managed to bring ourselves to doing the right thing.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2015 06:06 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
Often the ones who plea for civility are the worst offenders. But, you've probably already noticed that.
jcboy

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2015 06:10 pm
@farmerman,
Yes it is getting mean. Some jackass on here called me a fag. How can I be a fag with I have three kids at home?

The must be talking about my Puerto Rican husband Razz
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2015 06:12 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Often the ones who plea for civility are the worst offenders. But, you've probably already noticed that.

so what? If you condemn the hate filled intolerant assholes and refuse to participate in their attacks on other members then you will be helping to rid A2K of the problem. Hypocracy is nothing new, dont act surprised, and dont tell me that it keeps you from doing the right thing.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2015 07:16 pm
@farmerman,
Farmerman is correct, but it's been dicey here from time to time. I'm not sure if it's worse now, but I will say I've never been threatened with bodily harm until the last 6 months. I migrate to the games and humour threads to cleanse the bile out of my system, at least there I can laugh.

I don't always defend Frank, but using bold face in upper and lower case is not shouting, writing in all caps is shouting. I don't recall why Frank uses bold text, but it is easier to read. (Please, I'm not picking a fight with those who don't like the bold face...I just don't find it distracting). The guy who writes in pink ink, not that's a little fluorescent and I find that distracting, but not enough to ask him/her to switch.

As far as the ignore feature, I'm a big fan. But I also realize I'm not denying anyone else on the forum the ability to read what others write. I also know if someone quotes one of my ignored posters, it's hard to ignore but not impossible. I'm not superhuman so I respond, and sometimes I respond when I'm angry.

It's also fairly sad that on Farmermans thread lamenting the lack of courtesy, too many people are happily pointing out those they believe are discourteous. I can't speak for FM, but I doubt he thought an appeal for respectful discussion would deteriorate so rapidly.

I'm not using myself as an example of an always measured voice, I do bite back. I'm not promising not to bite in the future. However, Farmerman is a treasured member on A2k, I would really hate to see him disappear because of the misery level on the forum.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2015 10:39 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
I'm not superhuman so I respond, and sometimes I respond when I'm angry.
That is rich. You practice often the unsolicited personal attack, you glory in being the doberman of A2K. How many truck loads of white wash did you buy?
oralloy

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2015 11:19 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Ive been trying to engage in a few discussions but, if Im gone for a few hours or overnight, the entire thread haas turned into a damn shout fest and insultathon.

Maybe Im gonna look at the Facebook option.
As far as I know, Im an idiot, a Gomer, a libtard, and , as of last night, a lying ************.

Well, I can take a hint, you guys need purity of essence and reinforcement of your "beliefs".

Seeing as how you are the worst offender on a2k regarding every single thing that you've just complained about, your complaints are pretty funny.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2015 03:57 am
@hawkeye10,
You're not a victim Hawkeye, you're a sensationalist. You just say things to shock, and you say some pretty disgusting things about women, children and the sort of people who abuse women and children and watch such abuse.

Any personal attacks you get, you bring on yourself.

I'm no victim either, I give as good as I get.
wandeljw

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2015 06:16 am
Farmerman is correct about this thread "going south." I admit that I have been mean on a few threads in the past. My only hope is that such threads are quickly consumed by horseflies.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2015 07:02 am
topic wise it's getting very mean, there seems to be a dearth of new and interesting things being discussed

oh wait

are we talking mean as in nasty?

nevermind
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2015 08:22 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:
... are we talking mean as in nasty? ...
If Hawkings wrote something with 'mean' in the text, we certainly will get an own thread about the meaning.
0 Replies