What's your dream car?

Tartarin

Mon 10 Nov, 2003 01:38 pm
I lived in England and enjoyed the Mini-craze and must admit they are still my standard for "car." I like the shape. It makes sense. Can't use one now because it's too low to the ground for this tall person with long legs and used-up knees, so my Honda, with its boxy shape, relatively good gas mileage and good handling is a Mini-substitute! Once had a Triumph (an attention-getting device) but it fell apart. When Toyota or Honda finally make a boxy hybrid, I'll get it. (Honda did make some hybrid CRV's but they weren't sold in the US.)
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Wed 12 Nov, 2003 11:07 am
I dig the new Minis, too, but they border on ubiquitous here. Kind of a statement to counter the SUVs, which are ubiquitous. I would imagine that driving a Mini in other parts of the country, say Texas, might be more of a statement!
0 Replies

Tartarin

Wed 12 Nov, 2003 04:47 pm
I saw a fairly awful movie last night called "The Italian Job" which is only worth while for some fleeting views of Venice and three souped-up minis doin' their thing, zipping around LA, and looking pretty desirable!
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Wed 12 Nov, 2003 04:52 pm
Haven't seen the film, but I understand that the film it's modelled on (same title) also had a scene with Mini Coopers (the originals) racing around. By the way, I see those around here from time to time. Talk about cool--and tiny!
0 Replies

princessash185

Wed 12 Nov, 2003 05:02 pm
I'd have to say a mini as well. . . custom-painted. . . we have a friend who "collects" them. Has like 20. . . never drives them. . . treats them like Hot Wheels. . . shame. . .
0 Replies

cjhsa

Wed 12 Nov, 2003 05:03 pm
Actually they aren't that small inside. They have a very low floor and a very high roofline. In fact, they are designed to accomodate a 6'8" or thereabout human. I've sat in a few at the local dealership and it's really bizarre. The roof is WAY up there.
0 Replies

patiodog

Wed 12 Nov, 2003 05:10 pm
I hear they corner very nicely. Nice wide stance for such a little car.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Thu 13 Nov, 2003 02:23 pm
Driven them...they're pretty nice driving cars. Feel solid for a such a small car, and they do have plenty of room up front. I couldn't buy one for myself, though. I pee standing up.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Thu 13 Nov, 2003 02:31 pm
I don't see the Mini as a chick car, they have some macho to them. Now, Miatas, new Beatles and Z3's...those are chick cars.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Thu 13 Nov, 2003 03:14 pm
I still kinda put the Mini in the same category as Beetles, Miatas, Z3s. Only people I see driving them are chicks or older guys. I actually almost bought a Z3 last year. I know they're kinda chick cars, but I've always liked roadsters. And with the 6-cyl, they're rockets. I even like driving Miatas, but I could never put myself in one. Couldn't do it. Like I said, I pee standing up.

And I like beer.

And football.

And chicks.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Thu 13 Nov, 2003 03:19 pm
BMW knew the Z3 was too chicky so now we get the Z4. Man, that thing is ugly, but I hear they are a dream to drive.

I'm thinking I want to get my hands on a 3-series coupe before BMW screws up the derriers on those, as they have on the 5's and 7's.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Thu 13 Nov, 2003 05:18 pm
You've been wanting to get one forever...pull the trigger, dammit!
I actually like the look of the Z4, although I'm not too crazy about the tailights.
Did you see the 6-series coupe coming out? I want one of those.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Thu 13 Nov, 2003 05:33 pm
Yep, I have, and the back end is messed up.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Thu 13 Nov, 2003 06:08 pm
I've always had a soft spot for

http://www.mafma.com/images/lm038.jpg

the Ford GT-40. There's something uniquely gratifying, if a little arrogant, about a team-order 1-2-3 sweep of Le Mans.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Thu 13 Nov, 2003 06:23 pm
I spent years looking for my "dream" car, but could never find one that met my standards. The sports cars were just too flashy for my tastes, some of the sedans, while functional, just didn't seem to have the "Ratzenhofer" look. I looked at wagons, two-doors, four-doors, convertibles, classics, etc. I finally came to the realization that if I wanted my dream car, I was going to have to build it myself.

It took several years of intensive labor, but I have finally completed it.

You should see the looks I get when I drive down main street on Saturday night.

http://www.csee.usf.edu/~gohel/images/car75.jpg
0 Replies

timberlandko

Thu 13 Nov, 2003 06:45 pm
Ya might wanna check the URL for that link, Gus ... it doesn't seem to work. What you have there now is: http://www.csee.usf.edu/~gohel/images/car75.jpg , which is a deadend.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Thu 13 Nov, 2003 07:53 pm
Explain, please. Am I seeing something that you're not?
0 Replies

SealPoet

Thu 13 Nov, 2003 08:03 pm
Damn! You mean I'm sharing gustav's hallucinations?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Thu 13 Nov, 2003 08:05 pm
You see it too, SealPoet? Whew! I was getting ready to lay down my pipe.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Thu 13 Nov, 2003 08:16 pm
Well that's wierd ... I get a "Page cannot be displayed", even with my security all shut down. I can't even open the home page, http://www.csee.usf.edu. Funny thing, this Internet.
0 Replies