What's your dream car?

andreawalker492

Tue 27 Nov, 2018 01:54 am
maybach mercedes is my dream car
roger

Tue 27 Nov, 2018 01:59 am
@cicerone imposter,
It's always good to know what is intolerable before buying.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Tue 27 Nov, 2018 10:10 am
@andreawalker492,
Quote:
maybach mercedes is my dream car

A car to be enjoyed from the back seat.
Not my favorite spot.

farmerman

Tue 27 Nov, 2018 01:06 pm
@Leadfoot,
I thought they quit making those canal boats
Walter Hinteler

Tue 27 Nov, 2018 01:34 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
I thought they quit making those canal boats
No.

But "Maybach Mercedes" reminds my of the minesweeper I'd been on: officially powered by two Maybach MD871 diesels (2,000 hp). One, however, was a Mercedes, 2,400 hp (reduced to 2,000)
0 Replies

thack45

Tue 27 Nov, 2018 01:58 pm
Although I've always admired the exotic supercars, and 60's/70's American muscle, my tastes have changed recently. Nowadays I just want lots of torque, good handling and an interior that doesn't look cheap, and an understated if not outright ugly body style. I think an e60 m5 6-spd manual, black on black with the M badging removed would fit the bill for me.
tsarstepan

Thu 29 Nov, 2018 12:50 pm
@thack45,
shokoman

Thu 29 Nov, 2018 04:25 pm

I have no dreams, only goals, and I try to arrange them gradually. At the moment, I have a goal to buy a good SUV, I would like to Hyundai Creta or Ford Ecosport
tsarstepan

Wed 5 Dec, 2018 11:04 am
@shokoman,
MontereyJack

Thu 6 Dec, 2018 12:41 am
@tsarstepan,
In an era where somebody, maybe Infiniti in their Xmas TV spots advertises their regular 4 door sedan doing 0-60 in 4.8 seconds, supercars have penetrated pretty far down into regular production. I can remember when those muscle cars so many people consider classics had to strain to get under 10 seconds. Wouldn't kick the new Aston Shooting Brake out of the garage, if I had a garage instead of urban on-street parking.
farmerman

Thu 6 Dec, 2018 06:34 am
@MontereyJack,
HELL, my Rausch "tricked" Explorer with eco boost can do 1-60 in under 5 seconds. and its hauling torque is like a small diesel.
Ford has come out with a modified twin turbo 6 cyl diesel for littl trucks.
Thats the kinda **** my farmer mind has me interested in.
farmerman

Thu 6 Dec, 2018 06:40 am
@farmerman,
most ALL of theevolving "Super cars" have ground effects dynamics and almpst ALL roads in the US are POS , You can take that McLaren and have it turn into a scraped up boat anchor if you go out onto an interstate and hit one rod crack or pothole.
Porsches and Vttes are about the only ones that recognize the reality of road conditions. (I use to love Porschs but these newere "big butt" lookin things have begun to build skyward to prevent bottoming..

Even European SUVs (excepting Unimogs or Rovers) have their bottoms waay too close to the ground.
oralloy

Thu 6 Dec, 2018 06:07 pm
@farmerman,
Corvettes are a better choice than Porsche anyway. A large-displacement naturally-aspirated pushrod V8 is pretty much the perfect car engine.

And while putting the engine behind the rear wheels can lead to good performance if the driver is highly skilled, in the hands of an ordinary driver it's a car accident waiting to happen.

When we were coming back from Wyoming for the eclipse, we took the ferry across Lake Michigan. When they were driving the cars off the ferry for people to claim, they rolled about a dozen Corvettes (modern ones) off the ferry. Someone said it was probably some sort of Corvette club going on a tour. There were a lot of jokes in the crowd about trying to claim one of them.
farmerman

Thu 6 Dec, 2018 06:58 pm
@oralloy,
Ever ince the C5, the corvtte was no longr a GM big horsepower, poor suspension fiberglas SMC toy. Ever since maybe 2012, the uses of advanced materials like Titanium carbon fibre and aluminum finally got it through GM's head that you dont have to put in a blown train engine to gofast. They should really rename the corvette since its finally a European class car. (Like th Ford GT of the 60;s GM may not know what to do with it, but Harley Earl would NOT know that this was his great gerat great grandcar.
oralloy

Fri 7 Dec, 2018 06:01 am
shokoman wrote:
what are you thinking about Ecosport guys?
It looks like a small high-fuel-efficiency crossover vehicle.

It'll probably be a big hit the next time gas prices shoot way up.
Leadfoot

Fri 7 Dec, 2018 09:02 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
It'll probably be a big hit the next time gas prices shoot way up.
Yep, there might be a lot of US car makers rethinking the decision to stop building cars in favor of SUVish things. We sure do have short memories around here. The upside is I feel like I'm driving a supercar in my M-light bimmer in a sea of Caravans and F150's.

Of course, in my nightmares I'm riding in an autonomous electric pod with a thyroxine blank look on my face. The downside is, I just might live long enough to see my dream come true.
Leadfoot

Fri 7 Dec, 2018 09:32 am
@tsarstepan,
The McLaren is the only supercar I considered buying. It's actually reasonably priced (for a supercar) and I absolutely love the centerline driver's seat.

They (and virtually all supercars) would be very frustrating for me to drive on the street. I like a car that you can at least occasionally use most of it's performance envelope in my everyday driving.
0 Replies

oralloy

Fri 7 Dec, 2018 02:08 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
They should really rename the corvette since its finally a European class car.
It still has a proper American pushrod V8. You don't find those in European cars.
oralloy

Fri 7 Dec, 2018 02:09 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:
Yep, there might be a lot of US car makers rethinking the decision to stop building cars in favor of SUVish things. We sure do have short memories around here.
What the automakers need to do is develop the capability to shift back and forth on short notice.

Because if gas prices rise and people switch to small cars, as soon as gas prices drop people will shift back to larger cars again. And then back to small cars once prices rise again.

I'm really liking the idea of plug-in hybrids. They can be plugged in when gas prices are high, and run solely on gas when prices are cheap.
0 Replies

farmerman

Sat 8 Dec, 2018 02:18 am
@oralloy,
yeh true, but Im thinking overall "european class" v hillbilly . Engines are now balanced (internal as well as COG). The car has been designed as an entire performance unit (suspension and brakes nd body are integral to performance), not just as a butt rocket that couldnt take turns . I guess Ive jumped the shark wrt what a vehicle does for me. Opening up new vistas and its ability to pick up woodworking logs and firewood is more hillbilly and Iv surrendered