What's your dream car?

farmerman

Fri 7 Sep, 2018 09:05 am
@Ticomaya,
hey man. any good cigars worth tellin?
cicerone imposter

Fri 7 Sep, 2018 12:32 pm
@farmerman,
My travel buddy and I used to go to Cuba, and my favorite is the Partagas D4's. We used to visit their factory that was located behind the capitol building in Havana. Try the D4's, they're really good.
https://www.cigarterminal.com/en/partagas-serie-d-no-4-25-cigars.html
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Fri 7 Sep, 2018 08:37 pm
The Camberwell carrot is my favorite stogie. You’ll never go back.
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 11 Sep, 2018 02:20 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
now adays, we can get a 2.5 cc mini car that can generate 700 Bhp and top out twice what your old caddie could do. AND, with huge gas economy numbers. Back in the 60's my dad had a huuuuge 460 Ci Olds 98 that could fit half the town comfortably. I swar that thing got 4 mpg.
Times has changed and science has handed the car designers the physics to not hqve to use just ngine displacement to "go fast"
They might be able to squeeze a lot of horsepower out of a tiny little engine, but they'll do it at the expense of low-end torque, or the engine will be far from nimble and responsive.

No thanks. A proper sports car is powered by a naturally-aspirated engine with a displacement greater than 6 liters.

There is no replacement for displacement.
Leadfoot

Tue 11 Sep, 2018 04:11 pm
@oralloy,
I used to be down on turbos and high on cubic inches, but the turboed 3.0 (187 CI) in my M240 will out pull my NA 350 CI small block Chevy anywhere from 1350 rpm up, and the torque is flat almost to 7000. The 350 gets me 17 mpg when I’m easy on it, the turbo 3.0 has averaged almost double that, 33.6 mpg for the first 10,ooo miles. The only time the V8 wins is from idle to 1350 rpm. I even like the smooth symmetrical sound of the straight 6 compared to the V8 burble. The V8 is in a 3000 pound car (1923 model T). The 3.0 has 3460 pounds to carry, so it isn’t a weight advantage for the M.

I love'm both though.
oralloy

Mon 24 Sep, 2018 05:28 pm
@Leadfoot,
How responsive is the engine though?

A large displacement V12 will give you the same sound as a straight six, with torque at the low end and a more responsive engine.
farmerman

Mon 24 Sep, 2018 08:48 pm
@oralloy,
you sound like youre a funny car enthusiast. No thanks. You may be right about low end torque, but when I used to live near Stockton Cal, I would take the family to the Rt 5 Night races which were a bunch of long haul racing nthusiasts. I knew a guy , Joe Gelman who said about some of his Fuel injected, turbo boosted , cars carried on all carbon fibre and Ti.
"You may beat me in a quarter mile but the race is to Sacramento . After I catch up and pass you after a quarter, By the time you get to Sacto, Ill be done eatin breakfast". Some of his loads would give a Veryon a 1/2 mi head start just to make it more interesting.
farmerman

Mon 24 Sep, 2018 08:53 pm
@farmerman,
hell, even a Venom is smallr displacement than my diesels F 250.s And turbod out the ass.
They make about 1600bhp at 7.1L
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Mon 24 Sep, 2018 09:03 pm
@oralloy,
From memory, The B58 engine makes maximum torque (500Nm) between 1500 and 4500 rpm. In eco mode there is a brief lag but in sport or sport+ the transmission programming keeps the engine turning up enough so max torque is always available. The new ZF 8 speed auto is a masterpiece. I couldn’t tell that the dual clutch 7 speed was any faster or firmer on shifts. There really isn’t any justification for a stick shift other than for 'effect'. It’s slower and gets less mpg than the auto.

Yep, a NA V12 is sweet and is always 'instant on' but it will never deliver 33.6 mpg.
farmerman

Mon 24 Sep, 2018 09:26 pm
@Leadfoot,
ya still need to account for the lag. hence you make sure yer races are at least a few miles, and arent measured in seconds of duration.

MPG ahh yes. Wait till the insect is done. It shall be the right mix of speed and economy meant for an old man.
Leadfoot

Tue 25 Sep, 2018 11:31 am
@farmerman,
No so. The M240 has Launch Mode. Max torque is available the instant the brake peddle is released. 0 - 60 in 4.4 seconds. Not supercar numbers but PDG.

You described it perfectly though, perfect blend of performance and economy.
farmerman

Tue 25 Sep, 2018 01:01 pm
@Leadfoot,
you have no turbo lag?

Leadfoot

Tue 25 Sep, 2018 03:08 pm
@farmerman,
Not in launch mode.

In this mode, apply firm brake, then apply full throttle, the ECU opens the throttle enough to rev the engine to above stall speed of the torque converter. This produces enough exhaust flow to rev the turbo enough to give full boost at launch rpm. (~3000 rpm if I remember right) To launch, all that is needed is to release the brake and keep throttle floored. The turbo is already making boost so zero lag. The ECU, traction control and transmission handle everything to give best possible acceleration.

I tried it once just to see it work but drag racing is not my bag. At the road course track when in Sport or sport + mode I can’t detect any lag unless I’ve gone off in a turn and getting back on the track. In a car with this power to weight ratio you always squeeze the power on gently out of the turns anyway, if you’re do’s it right.
farmerman

Tue 25 Sep, 2018 04:17 pm
@Leadfoot,
thats sorta the same with std big block aspirated engines with stick trans. My lil Explorer has a "port mode" (kinda marketing more thqn tech).
The manual says not to do what your Launch mode says not to do but I notice that the lag isnt as pronounced when i brake and stomp. sport mode makes the paddles work.

Leadfoot

Tue 25 Sep, 2018 04:59 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
thats sorta the same with std big block aspirated engines with stick trans.

That's gotta be tough on the clutch, or tires, or whatever is slipping while waiting for the staging light. Most drivers only have two feet.
farmerman

Tue 25 Sep, 2018 05:05 pm
@Leadfoot,
aha, theres the thing. In the old days (rremember Im only three years youngern you and I remember when my dad showed me how to hit the gs and brake with one foot. Heel on brake, toe stomps gas. Left foot clutch, Go like hell. I never said it was somethiong that was friendlly with the en gine or tranny, but the car actually leaped .
Leadfoot

Tue 25 Sep, 2018 05:16 pm
@farmerman,
Big block with a stick, I’m sure it did leap.
I always toed the brake and blipped throttle for downshifts with heel. Don’t do that anymore though, the butchers that worked on my leg made such fancy footwork impossible. The muscles that rotate my right ankle are long gone.
0 Replies

allamericanlimo

Wed 10 Oct, 2018 01:39 am
Limousine Lincoln MKS is the my favourite car for corporate service & long tour
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 6 Nov, 2018 04:32 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
you sound like youre a funny car enthusiast.
Nah. Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/11-second-muscle-cars-2018-pure-stock-drags/
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 6 Nov, 2018 04:34 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:
Yep, a NA V12 is sweet and is always 'instant on' but it will never deliver 33.6 mpg.
If fuel economy is an issue, the answer is an engine with cylinder deactivation, like the V8s in the latest corvettes.

https://www.wardsauto.com/2014/2014-winner-general-motors-62l-lt1-ohv-di-v-8
https://www.wardsauto.com/2015/2015-winner-chevrolet-62l-lt1-ohv-di-v-8