What's your dream car?

coluber2001

Wed 30 Mar, 2016 10:25 pm
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/71/Vw_181_v_sst.jpg/560px-Vw_181_v_sst.jpg

The Volkswagen thing. How simple and cheap.
cicerone imposter

Wed 30 Mar, 2016 10:28 pm
@coluber2001,
At my age, I no longer go for simple or cheap. I go for luxury and safe.
Leadfoot

Thu 31 Mar, 2016 06:51 am
@cicerone imposter,
I'm at the ass end of life too, but I still go for most fun to drive.
Oddly, my least expensive car is the most fun.

Pesky Random Thought: It seems like it would be natural to go for safety at the beginning rather than the end. I mean, ****, you don't have near as much to lose now...
Lordyaswas

Thu 31 Mar, 2016 07:04 am
@coluber2001,
And very low on emissions. Cool
farmerman

Thu 31 Mar, 2016 09:20 am
@Lordyaswas,
I went through my "car fetishes" . I did new, antique, and muscular cars and then TRUCKS. I still sorta keep a bevy of trucks all within degrees of "tricked outedness" (ALL DIESELS).

I was gonna buy a ford "F150 Raptor" last year. Instead I spent a bloody fortune on new turbos and intercoolers and computer gizamos on a 7.3 turbo and did a huge amount of body and paint work, lift kits, aggressive wheels an tires and Now I dont wanna drive it in the woods so I wont scratch it up.

Im gonna be 66 and I gotta get down to a decent car, truck, qn an ATV farm vehicle. I dont even want the dogs in my tricked out truck just because they are dogs who love to get drool over my new microfibre seats

Im an idiot who needs to redefine transportation.
0 Replies

farmerman

Thu 31 Mar, 2016 09:21 am
@cicerone imposter,
To me,"luxury" is the ability to have a well appointed living room in a powerful short bed diesel truck
Lordyaswas

Thu 31 Mar, 2016 09:31 am
@farmerman,
Are you thinking about customizing it with one of those armchairs that are easy to get out of?

Go directly to the 5 minute mark to see what I mean.....

Quaint my ride......

farmerman

Thu 31 Mar, 2016 09:45 am
@Lordyaswas,
Any chance of Jeremy coming back?. He was the catalyst an the imp that got that show really moving. The new format with the American guy (who is fuckin clueless about British understatement as a vital part of speech) Is really baad.
What was it that Clarkson did to piss everyone off? I knew he had a Peronista license plate in Argentina which was kinda stupid if one wishes to remain un-disappeared.
If hed be here in the US, hed probably be able to run a decent campaign for some govt office that didnt have a constitutional proviso.

America has , lately, an almost Teutonic sense of humor, that is, non-existent.
Leadfoot

Thu 31 Mar, 2016 09:50 am
@farmerman,
I think Jeremy threw an unforgivable tantrum on set. Something about his steak lunch not being cooked to his liking.

But true, the show ain't the same without him.
cicerone imposter

Thu 31 Mar, 2016 09:59 am
@Leadfoot,
When we're young, we don't fear most things like drag racing and standing at the edge of a cliff. I guess, the longer we live, we see the casualty count adding up on car accidents and people falling off cliffs. I really dunno.
farmerman

Thu 31 Mar, 2016 10:30 am
@Leadfoot,
It wasnt Peronista ""code" , It was a word on his Licenes plate that stated something that praised the UK for the Thatcher era Falkland War. (Something that ARgentina is not done with)

I recall when they got stoned in Mississippi years ago for hving "NASCAR SUCKS" on the side of their cheap cars that they used in a road trip through the US SOuth.

I didnt hear about the "menu advisement", but I wouldnt put it past him, he was always skating at the edge of propriety. They could have fired him several years ago when he used the "N" word
0 Replies

farmerman

Thu 31 Mar, 2016 10:34 am
@cicerone imposter,
My one "NON-Indin Subcontinent" prtner is a hobby drag racer . Hes never won anything that nearly catches him up for the hundreds of thousand of dollars he kicks in (he does have three small equipment sponsors) each year.
Hes always blowing engines an having his "FUNNY CARS" burst into flames.
The funny thing I find about funny cars and NASCAR acrs. WEverything on the cars is a decal, even the headlights and turn signals and any chrome trim. Its all stick on tape. Looks reall stupid up close.(You expect Mickey Mouse to get out of the car instead of Darth Vader)
Walter Hinteler

Thu 31 Mar, 2016 12:05 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:
And very low on emissions. Cool
For a 1968 military vehicle: yes.
In the USA, it was later reclassified as a ‘passenger car’ from a ‘multi-purpose vehicle’ and thus didn't come remotely close to the stricter emission standards.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Thu 31 Mar, 2016 12:14 pm
@farmerman,
I watched funny car races and bumping several times on tv.
farmerman

Thu 31 Mar, 2016 12:49 pm
@cicerone imposter,
didnt know you were a fan of drag racing. I think drag racing is about the most imbecilic thing we do with cars, seconded only by NASCAR races where everyone just turns left.

How fast can you go in a quarter mile without blowin up? WHO CARES? Why not tie a rocket to its ass and see whether you can STOP.
cicerone imposter

Thu 31 Mar, 2016 12:51 pm
@farmerman,
I don't watch it very long. It's not even a 'hobby.'
farmerman

Thu 31 Mar, 2016 12:58 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Agree, Its pretty much unwatcheable for me. I always pester my partner to reveal how much money he has spent so far. Hes hqd a bunch of stockers and Super gas funny cars . Ill bet hes invested the amount to put a medium size village on its feet and send all the kids to Stanford. (He is a STanford PhD Grad). So the sons of Leland arent all super inventors of electronic gizmos. Some play in rockbands and others drag race corvettes and camaros.
cicerone imposter

Thu 31 Mar, 2016 01:17 pm
@farmerman,
I probably already mentioned this, but my buddy let me borrow his Vette. I loved driving it, because it had the horsepower to really move. As a 30 year old at the time, it's a wonder women didn't come chasing after me. LOL It was stolen when it was parked by my apartment. This was over 50 years ago.
My buddy was from Chicago. His parents owned Honolulu Harry's Club Waikiki on Wilson and Nakanoya Japanese restaurant across from Lincoln Park.
His wife informed me some years ago that he passed away after suffering a heart attack. I introduced him to his wife, and his daughter has the same mannerisms.
farmerman

Thu 31 Mar, 2016 03:43 pm
@cicerone imposter,
the 2016 corvette is (finally) a decent car that wont kill you if you try to drive it like a Porsche. It was always a car thatd lose it on a foggy day, and "drifting" was mostly an uncontrolled skid that could wind you either coming full circle or dead.

I used to hill climb sports cars and was always a fan of the Porsche. In my racing day I owned an RSK , qn 1850 (I think that was the cc, it was kind of a pig for a porsche), and an early BOXTER. We tricked out the boxter . My first thing was to have some body work done and add an American twin exhaust. It increased backpressure nd jcked up the compression a bit AND, the tailpipe no longer looked like a butt hole.

We jacked up the hp until I was driving over the safe speed for the suspension and brakes. It was a great car but I sold it
tsarstepan

Thu 7 Apr, 2016 01:27 pm
@farmerman,