So, Any thoughts on Bibi Netantahu's address to Congress

ossobuco

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 05:54 pm
@izzythepush,
I didn't know that.
Geez Louise.

Lest there are questions, I don't hate Israel and can understand their fears. I'm long over my early broad support, for multiple and obvious reasons, especially re the present government there. It should be obvious, I don't hate Palestinians, greatly worry about them.

I wish the sane could talk with the sane.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 06:23 pm
@korkamann,
I know that happened. But Netanyahu predicted that Hussein's removal would make the entire region a much better place. Instead, his prediction was 100% disproved.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 06:39 pm
@edgarblythe,
Some of what I wrote to Roger may be a bit off, but Netanyahu's prediction was the focus of the originating post, not scuds.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 06:44 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:
I have no idea what the hell your so called answer to my thought means but Abraham sure as hell dosent have anything to do with atomic bombs with which Israel threatens the whole of the middle east. Nor did you address Bibi's apparent insanity where the murder of Palistinians of all ages, is justified, not because they are all terroists but because they are residents of land a hard core thieving Isralie government wants for itself.
Oh dear, I was not expecting this level of ignorance as to the three Abrahamic religions vis-à-vis Middle East conflicts, but it shows to go you that the lowest common denominator (in terms of thoughtless opinions) does indeed demonstrate mental simplicity.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 07:16 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
I know that happened. But Netanyahu predicted that Hussein's removal would make the entire region a much better place. Instead, his prediction was 100% disproved.
Unless you had parallel identical worlds as a starting point, one with Hussein's removal and the other not, there is no way your claim stands any chance whatsoever of having merit, not only that but even in such an implausible parallel scenario, the interactive variables would be so great as to nullify anything more than speculative predictive value unless the parallel identical worlds scenario could be repeated a massive number of times...so good luck with that and your critique of Benjamin Netanyahu's so-called "prediction".

Further, I recommend that you not only consider the term "political rhetoric" in the given context of your critique of Benjamin Netanyahu's so-called "prediction", but remind yourself that politicians do not have crystal balls (other kinds of balls or lack thereof perhaps). ****, even the United States Federal Reserve cannot predict interest rates with any consequential clarity, thus as often as not their preemptive interest rate moves turn out to be in the wrong direction.

As an interesting aside, you may be familiar with Asimov's fictional character Hari Seldon in the Foundation series. He develops psychohistory, thus allowing him to predict the future in probabilistic terms, but not on an individual person, because that remains a wildcard as much in Asimov's fictional future as it does today.

If you truly are disappointed by the predictive value of Benjamin Netanyahu's political rhetoric, then I must suggest you are a rather overly trusting fellow (to put it kindly).

None of this changes the fact the Israel is surrounded by non-democratic countries with large populations of ignorant religionists that are tying to annihilate it.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 07:33 pm
@Chumly,
The thrust of this thread shows that Netanyahu's predictions are rarely accurate. You gave us your version of why that is. Anything else?
glitterbag

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 07:34 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Glitterbag...I think the Republicans have been making some horrendous moves for the last decade...

...but this one takes the cake.

This is beyond rude and insulting.

I only hope the American public makes them pay a heavy price for this abominable move.

Frank, I went back to the beginning of my thread and felt it was important to repeat your comment. My complaint is not that Netanyahu visited, but that all rules of protocol were violated. Despite what folks might think, all things that occur in Congress, the White House and the Supreme Court are in compliance with long existing rules of protocol. On another site, one member groused that the President sent a note of condolence to an African American family, maybe it was Michael Jackson. It was written to prove that the president is a racist. That's just wishful thinking. New administrations do not get to change the rules of Protocol. Within the White House is an entire group of people who scan the papers and respond to every death notification. Some of them have been there since Lincoln's time.

Some of you have military experience, the military has protocol for every thing from personal hygiene, to military ceremony to when someone dies in the line of duty. It doesn't change, even if you are a 4 star Admiral you simply can't design a different hat to were to show your individuality.

As far as Congress thinking the President doesn't respect them, it doesn't give them the authority to authorize State Visits, and inform the White House later. In the military, you would call that insubordination. I understand that each member of Congress was elected by a majority of their district, but we also have to remember that Obama was elected twice by the majority of the American voters.

Congress in their zeal to show disrespect for the man have disrespected the office. This is a dangerous precedent to set. No matter if a Republican or Democrat becomes the next President, I sincerely hope that this childish bullshit stops. Because if it doesn't, I see a breathtaking lack of respect breaking down the system, and eventually they might as well just fling their waste at each other.

One Caveat: my other qualm about this was we gave Netanyahu a platform to influence US policy, I don't think it's going to work, his advice in the past has cost us dearly. I doubt Boehner invited him for his sage advice, he invited him as an 'in your face'. Boenher seems comfortable with thuggish behaviour.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 07:45 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
My complaint is not that Netanyahu visited, but that all rules of protocol were violated.

That hound will not hunt...Israel has always been treated special by America with regular rules not applying to them.

You need a different argument.

Quote:
Congress in their zeal to show disrespect for the man have disrespected the office.
I dont actually know that this is the motivation. The motivation might be that Congress felt that Israels case has not been aloud to get on pulpit in Washington because BiBi and Barack have such a terrible person relationship with Barack possessing a deep peevish streak, and that this matter is too important to get smothered by that bad relationship. What you say is possible, but you first need to prove that that is what happened.
NSFW (view)
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 08:00 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

No I actually don't, and it's not my fault that you are too stupid to realize the importance of conformance to established protocol. I'm not talking about watercress sandwiches. I thought your wife was in the military, and you don't understand that concept.
A president who refuses to consult with Congress before issuing major executive orders, in fact going so far as too rewrite the ObamaCare law after it was passed, is in no position to throw stones.

Washington is a cesspool, but Obama and the D's are just as deep into it as the R's are.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 08:13 pm
@hawkeye10,
NSA, CIA and DIA were all created by an Executive Order sign by Harry Truman in 1952 or 1953. The President has full power to issue an Executive Order and he doesn't need Boenhers permission to do so. If you had a better grasp of the remedies the President has or the function of the Legislative Branch you would not have made a rookie mistake. You are assuming the a President needs permission because Congress has it's nose bent out of shape. You don't have to like it, that's just the way it is.

I'll defer to you if I have an opinion about deep fryers or cheese melts.
Chumly

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 08:42 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
The thrust of this thread shows that Netanyahu's predictions are rarely accurate. You gave us your version of why that is. Anything else?
Outside of whether or not your claim as to the so-called "thrust of this thread" is meritable, and outside of whether or not your claim as to "(my) version of why that is" is meritable - note that I would argue your claim can be reasonably well summed by defining it as nothing more the logical fallacy of the hasty generalization - kindly expand on what you mean by the question "Anything else?" assuming that is, that is was asked in sincerity and not simply in the weakly sardonic, or the clichéd rhetorical equivalent.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 08:47 pm
@Chumly,
Do you have any more that we would like to read?
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 08:48 pm
@izzythepush,
I don't want any more tax dollars sent to Israel until there is a genuinely free and independent Palestine.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 08:52 pm
@revelette2,
Insanity is repeating the same actions expecting different results. Its the triumph of expectation over experience.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 09:02 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
That hound will not hunt

That hound may not hunt but that dog most certainly will. You should really get your idiom on straight

That Israel has a "special" relationship with the US is exactly glitter's point. Name one other nation's legislature that invited another foreign leader to come and speak before it and slam the first nation's leader and his foreign policy. Name one other foreign leader that has ever come before another nation's legislature to campaign for office in his own country.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 09:05 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
That Israel has a "special" relationship with the US is exactly glitter's point.

Your comprehension skills have always been suspect. Her point is that the rules were not followed, my point is that the rules dont apply to Israel.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 09:06 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
Do you have any more that we would like to read?
Not being a mind-reader (sorry about that but my powers are limited) I don't know what we would like to read, but how about an eight part (yes eight part) video on the concerns at hand (depressing but illuminating).

You'll note that, contrary to your hasty generalization, I have posted this prior.

The Bomb in my Garden https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCq514zp3V0
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 09:08 pm
@hawkeye10,
Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Bush have all used executive orders without consulting with Congress. That's why its called an "executive order". The President is the Chief Executive of the Executive Branch. Congress is the Legislative Branch. Two points if you can name the branch the SCOTUS represents.

Why didn't you pay attention in civics class? Too busy drawing floor plans for your first dungeon?
glitterbag

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 09:13 pm
@Chumly,
If you having trouble understanding the thrust of my thread you can ask me a question. If you choose to segue off into the ether you are on your own. My issue is protocol. I'm not talking about Emily Post's rules of etiquette, I'm talking about the orderly running of a government or military. You can get creative when you plan your birthday party.