So, Any thoughts on Bibi Netantahu's address to Congress

Below viewing threshold (view)
parados

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2015 05:45 pm
@roger,
It's amazing how many people accuse Obama of flouting Congress with EO's when they have no idea what was really done. Obama never changed anything about immigration with an EO.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2015 05:46 pm
@edgarblythe,
Obama didn't use an EO which is a very specific thing. He merely directed the DHS to change their rules which they did.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2015 06:37 pm
Andy Borowitz

I worry that political stunts like hosting Netanyahu will distract Congress from the task of suing Obama.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2015 06:38 pm
@revelette2,
Just an update, CNN claims 50 democrats chose not to attend, some said they watched the speech in the comfort of their homes or offices.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2015 06:55 pm
@roger,
I mean the Republicans have systematically worked to keep Obama from doing what presidents do. At least one leg of government has to function. Looks like it's up to him.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2015 07:08 pm
https://scontent-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/11041800_10153060078905325_5133368867283168878_n.jpg?oh=c90d6152c2b848429f6f4324b08a72d5&oe=55780870
glitterbag

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2015 07:15 pm
@edgarblythe,
It's one thing when the political parties squabble within their own groups, but when they can only agree on sabotaging the future of the US, with shutdowns,,,,,,well everybody knows what has been going on, some are happy to see the obstructive moves, others are pissed that Congress is behaving like a sorority during rush only they just don't know when to stop. Congress has become more disorganized and clownish than the Italian court system.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2015 07:42 pm
@edgarblythe,
Thank you for posting that.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2015 07:42 pm
@glitterbag,
And that is saying something.. re Italy. I follow Italy, but despair is old, very old.
revelette2

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2015 07:43 pm
@edgarblythe,
Exactly

0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2015 07:46 pm
@glitterbag,
Thanks
0 Replies

NSFW (view)
ossobuco

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2015 07:51 pm
@ossobuco,
I edited, maybe before someone thumbed up.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2015 07:51 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:
I'm watching Netanyahu on CNN, but I'm not sure if he is delivering anything new and I'm puzzled why Boenher thought this would be useful.

I'm not, quite to the contrary: I am certain that there wasn't a shred of original material in Netanyahu's speech. Also, I'm pretty sure why Boehner thought this would be useful. For Boehner and Netanyahu alike, this was never about foreign-policy. This was about striking a pose of toughness for home consumption.
roger

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2015 07:52 pm
@edgarblythe,
Actually, they have worked to keep him from doing what congress does. Will you feel the same when we have a Republican president?
glitterbag

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2015 08:10 pm
@roger,
Roger, my irritation is not with who happens to be president, I'm offended when decorum is tossed out the window when someone like Mitch McConnell states the primary goal of his party is to limit Pres 44 to a single term. I think we all can agree that we expect our elected representatives to improve conditions for their constituents and the welfare of the United States. If I wanted to see pointless battles of will, I can tune into The real Housewives of New Jersey. Obama will leave office in two years, can we at least hope the prima donnas on both sides put their grievances aside and actually return to working for the American people, not just the Corporate welfare recipients.

Thomas

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2015 08:11 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
You mean he respects the separation of powers - until he doesn't get what he wants.

Although I'm all for checks and balances myself, and although I sympathize with your implied point that many of us are hypocrites in matters of process, I think the equivalence you're suggesting here is false. For example, the last Congress's use of filibusters is historically unprecedented by a large margin. So was its brinkmanship around sequestation, the debt ceiling, and the like. Holding the very operation of the federal government hostage for partisan advantage has not been Congress's standard operating procedure in the past, no matter which party held the majority there. You're quite wrong if you suggest that the conduct of recent congresses reflects the normal workings of political checks and balances.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2015 08:17 pm
@glitterbag,
Nah, it won't happen.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2015 08:52 pm
@roger,
You don't see Democrats stifle the whole government just to show contempt for the president. In fact, Democrats went along a lot more with the last Republican president than I was comfortable with.