So, Any thoughts on Bibi Netantahu's address to Congress

roger

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2015 08:54 pm
@Thomas,
Ah, you're a hard person to disagree with, Thomas. I've been unhappy with this:

Quote:
For example, the last Congress's use of filibusters is historically unprecedented by a large margin. So was its brinkmanship around sequestation, the debt ceiling, and the like.

at least since the mid '90s.

On a somewhat different subject, I am mortified with some of riders that have been attached to some vital bills. It doesn't seem to make much difference which party controls which branch. Nevertheless, I continue to believe our president has been more abusive than most, at least in my lifetime.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2015 09:00 pm
@ossobuco,
I think you're right, all the posturing and bad behaviour plays well with some people. What's being forgotten is this has opened the door for disrespect for future POTUS. The world watches what our Government does, I'm tired of Boehner pretending the entire country is happy with his unbelievable lack of decent behaviour. I don't expect him to love Obama, I just want him to do his freaking job.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2015 09:01 pm
@edgarblythe,
You're absolutely right.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2015 10:40 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Beats me, Revelette. I did not watch it. It is political farce.

Right you are Frank. I wonder how fox news is going to present this in a good light? Someone let me know because I dont watch fox news.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2015 10:43 pm
@glitterbag,
Ally? How do you explain the U S S Liberty? Surely you dont buy into that accident bull shyt?
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2015 10:47 pm
Basing US foreign policy on the paranoid mental illness of the Zionists would not be prudent.

The depths of the Zionists' psychopathy was illustrated when they wielded a cartoon bomb during their rant at the UN in 2012.

http://blogs.cfr.org/danin/files/2012/09/Netanyahu-bomb-9.jpg

What the Zionists must do if they ever want to see peace and security is to redress their oppression of the Palestinian peoples, dismantle their ethnocentrically discriminatory and oppressive state and assist in implementing one that is truly egalitarian and pluralistic and serves all of the peoples of Palestine.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2015 10:47 pm
@roger,
Just like Raygun and Bush?
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2015 10:54 pm
@glitterbag,
Not a chance. The tea baggers have the republican congress in a strangle hold that will only end if we elect a democratic congress. Than we will still have problems because the democrats of this age are Goldwater republicans.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2015 11:55 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
Possibly the lack of congressional concern for the president relates to the presidents lack of concern for congress. Those executive orders are in the nature of lawmaking, which I believe is reserved for congress.

Exactly. I thought it was kind of funny for Mr. Unilateral Executive Order to complain about Congress doing something without consulting him.

But I also don't think the White House is actually upset about this alleged violation of protocol. I think they created an imaginary violation so they could use the resulting fuss as cover for avoiding the points that Mr. Netanyahu raised.

That's not to say that I agree with all of Mr. Netanyahu's points. He is correct that this deal is far from perfect. But he is ignoring all the problems that would be caused by not having a deal.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2015 11:56 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
Obama reached out to a hostile congress quite a few times before he had to resort to executive orders to get anything done.

There were moderate Republicans getting ready to compromise on immigration as soon as they took power, and Mr. Obama rushed his executive orders to get them out before the new Congress was sworn in.

Mr. Obama didn't have to do anything but wait and talk to moderate Republicans if he'd wanted immigration reform legislation.
oralloy

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2015 11:57 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
Although I'm all for checks and balances myself, and although I sympathize with your implied point that many of us are hypocrites in matters of process, I think the equivalence you're suggesting here is false. For example, the last Congress's use of filibusters is historically unprecedented by a large margin.

The Democratically-controlled Congress in the last two years of the Bush Administration may not have used filibusters, but that is because they didn't have to due to their control of Congress.

They are the ones who started the policy of unreasonable blocking of everything the President did. All the Republicans have been doing these last few years is giving the Democrats a taste of their own medicine.

Also, some of the filibustering was directed at Harry Reid and his Fascist policies within the Senate, and not directed at Mr. Obama at all.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 05:50 am
http://mondoweiss.net/images/2010/02/whydoiboycottweb.gif

http://www.a2indy.com/wp-content/uploads/keep-calm-and-boycott-israel.png
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 06:27 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

https://scontent-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/11041800_10153060078905325_5133368867283168878_n.jpg?oh=c90d6152c2b848429f6f4324b08a72d5&oe=55780870

This deserves to be posted a second time!
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 06:45 am
@Frank Apisa,
Thirds and fourths even.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 07:22 am
@edgarblythe,
The rest of that part of Netanyahu's statement deserves mention also, Edgar:

"If you take out Saddam, Saddam's regime, I guarantee you that it will have enormous positive reverberations on the region. And I think that people sitting right next door in Iran, young people, and many others, will say the time of such regimes, of such despots is gone."

Very clear why this congress considers him to be the go-to guy for advice and suggestions on how next to proceed!

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 07:51 am
@izzythepush,
Your site doesn't allow hotlinking.

http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af324/infrablu/whydoiboycottweb_zpsed0eofh4.gif
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 11:26 am
@Frank Apisa,
The what was it Arab Spring or something was a la la land dream of the architects of the Iraq invasion. Naturally Netanyahu did all he could to encourage it.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 12:44 pm
Israel is the only half-way sane democracy in the Middle East. Israel is correct to act against militant, religious fundamentalism; premptively if necessary, especially in the light of Iran's nuclear program and Middle East nuclear proliferation in general. I am with Christopher Hitchens on this one!

The Bomb in my Garden https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCq514zp3V0
woiyo

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 12:54 pm
@Frank Apisa,
At the time he said it, most agreed with him. How times have changed.
revelette2

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 02:02 pm
@woiyo,
Doesn't make it any more right, then or now. So why listen to someone who was wrong then?