So, Any thoughts on Bibi Netantahu's address to Congress

oralloy

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2015 03:58 am
@korkamann,
korkamann wrote:
I believe the US has not helped Israel to grow in a positive way. The US vetoes all UN resolutions against Israel irrespective of the many crimes the Zionist nation has committed against the Pals.

Israel has not committed any crimes against the Palestinians.

The US is right to veto anti-Semitic resolutions.

korkamann wrote:
Israel is involved in ethnic cleansing;

Your anti-Semitic lies are despicable.

korkamann wrote:
it has done so much damage to Gaza's infrastructure;

The Palestinians and their demented supporters chose to attack Israel when Israel was offering them nothing but peace. They got what they deserve.

It is a shame the Palestinian death toll is fraudulent. If that many Palestinians had really been killed it would be cause for celebration.

korkamann wrote:
Whenever Israel go on warring strikes in the West Bank many Pals die.

Nonsense.

korkamann wrote:
Can you imagine the psychological trauma these young Palestinians have to live under daily?

It must be horrible for the little murderers to have their purported victims prepared to defend themselves.

korkamann wrote:
It is apartheid.

Your anti-Semitic lies are despicable.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2015 05:22 am
@ossobuco,
Yes, the balance of power idea is scary. But the arrogance of Israel, who owns a good hundred nuclear warheads at the least, and her keeping that program totally secret, are also scary. Israel has a track record of military aggression. It is backed 150% by the superpower. Its electorate is more rightist and racist today than the German electorate was in 1933, and radicalizing by the day. If you put yourself in the shoes of the Iranians, you'll see immediately how really scary that picture looks. So they do want the bomb, IMO, it remains an important priority among the powers that be, in my reading. Anybody would in their situation, and the more you scare them, the more they will want it.

But as of now, with Ahmedinejad out of the way and the sanctions bitting hard, they have decided to postpone that quest for a few years/decades. At least the enrichment. Iranians are long term players and planners. They are yielding, not breaking, to get the economy back on track. IF the sanctions are lifted, the sky is the limit for them. Look at Turkey next door.

My real hope is that Iran will continue to de-radicalise if the sanctions are lifted, and that in a decade when they can actually AFFORD the bomb, they will decide they can also afford to live without it, like say Brasil.

Iran's neighborhood is pretty unsafe though, and the way Israel is going and the Sunni states are disintegrating, I'm pessimistic. Worse case scenario, Iran could surprise us with a nuclear test circa 2025, after years of apparent compliance. By then, i reckon Israel will have built a giant chutzpah factory as an annex to the US Senate in DC, will have pissed off the world two millions times, invaded one or several neighboring states, and become ruled by a junta of neonazi rabbi... So everybody will look the other way.
revelette2

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2015 06:49 am
@korkamann,
Quote:
I do not believe the PM speaking before the US joint congress helped him over the edge; I believe his saying there will be "no Palestinian state" and the "Arabs are being bussed in to vote" motivated many hardliners and racists to come out and vote who might otherwise stay home instead

Agreed, his poll numbers were looking shaky until that time. Of course, the hardliners might have come out anyway and just not have participated in the polls. In any case, his speech before congress didn't help him in any way that I can see.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2015 07:34 am
I think all of us here in the United States...and in the rest of the world...have to come to grips with the fact that a majority of Israelis seem to favor the notions put forth by Netanyahu.

A two state solution will be tolerated...just barely, and then only in the form that Israel will dictate.

I understand the Israeli motivation. They want to feel safe. But the bottom line is that Israel, as a Jewish nation, will almost certainly NEVER be safe as long as it exists where it is...and there are any Arabs alive in the area.

Prior to conditions imposed from without...the area did not have a Jewish nation of Israel. It was an area of relative peace between Jews and non-Jews who lived there...prior to the creation of the state of Israel.

There shouldn't be two nations there...there shouldn't even be one nation there. It was a much better, more peaceful place before there was one.
InfraBlue

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2015 09:38 am
@Frank Apisa,
Yeah, Jordan should take over with the assistance of the UN.
revelette2

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2015 10:37 am
Apparently Netanyahu is trying to add some nuance to his pre-election rhetoric. I tell ya, I will be Just about disgusted with Obama if just lets Netanyahu off scot free, particularly when they start building the settlements they are talking about. I am tired of our country being a fool for Israel. If you listen to all the Israeli analysts, they all keep saying the ties are too deep...blah, blah. They know they got us.

Obama has a few words for Netanyahu

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2015 01:00 pm
@revelette2,
Seriously, a country with the population of a city that would have never existed without us, that takes bank vaults full of our money and would have been rubbed off the Earth by now if we did not arm and protect it thinks it can dictate terms to us??!!

Well, that is what happens when our President announces to the World the he wants to "lead from behind". Guys who know how to use power knew then that they were listening to a chump, and chumps get used.
korkamann

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2015 01:32 pm
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:

Apparently Netanyahu is trying to add some nuance to his pre-election rhetoric. I tell ya, I will be Just about disgusted with Obama if just lets Netanyahu off scot free, particularly when they start building the settlements they are talking about. I am tired of our country being a fool for Israel. If you listen to all the Israeli analysts, they all keep saying the ties are too deep...blah, blah. They know they got us.

Obama has a few words for Netanyahu

Things, unfortunately, will stay the same. Obama might like to punish Netanyahu but it would be a futile effort. Israel's supporters would undermine his remaining time as president of the US more than ever before. It was announced today that the Speaker of the House, John Boehner, will be making a trip to Israel to meet with Netanyahu; this could only be to talk about undermining Obama further in talks regarding Iran. It seems Israel is now making foreign policy for the US and Obama just as well take a backseat. It wasn't enough the punitive politicians invited Netanyahu to speak before the Joint Congress, giving the finger to Obama, now they are seeking to drive the dagger home regarding tarnishing of the US president by going to Israel and get advice. Israel inserting itself into US politics is tangible proof of an insidious alliance stemming from Netanyahu and the Republican Party.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2015 02:14 pm
@hawkeye10,
Yeah...in your mind Obama is the reason this is all happening. In your mind, it is because of Obama that things are the way they are.

Like none of the presidents before him have given money over to Israel to protect it from being "rubbed off the Earth."

George W. Bush never gave them money; he never issued a veto in the UN when Israel was being condemned for one of its actions. Right?

George H. W. Bush never gave them money; he never issued a veto in the UN when Israel was being condemned for one of its actions. Right?

Ronald Reagan never gave them money; he never issued a veto in the UN when Israel was being condemned for one of its actions. Right?

Your lack of objectivity and impartiality barely rises to the point of silliness!

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2015 02:17 pm
@korkamann,
Quote:
Things, unfortunately, will stay the same. Obama might like to punish Netanyahu but it would be a futile effort. Israel's supporters would undermine his remaining time as president of the US more than ever before

CNN reported this yesterday:

Washington (CNN)The Obama administration's frustration with Benjamin Netanyahu is turning into outright hostility after the Israeli prime minister's commanding victory this week.

Administration officials greeted his win with harsh words Wednesday and suggestions that the U.S. might scale back its support for Israel at the United Nations, a significant reversal in policy after years of vetoing resolutions damaging to Jerusalem.
korkamann

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2015 03:25 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:
Korkamann wrote:
Things, unfortunately, will stay the same. Obama might like to punish Netanyahu, but it would be a futile effort. Israel's supporters would undermine his remaining time as president of the US more than ever before.

Washington (CNN)The Obama administration's frustration with Benjamin Netanyahu is turning into outright hostility after the Israeli prime minister's commanding victory this week.

Administration officials greeted his win with harsh words Wednesday and suggestions that the U.S. might scale back its support for Israel at the United Nations, a significant reversal in policy after years of vetoing resolutions damaging to Jerusalem.

I have read the same thing from various sources. I doubt Obama has the courageousness to follow through on such a threat. Like the red line, Syria should not cross, remember? Obama did nothing and the Repukes have held this over his head like the Sword of Damocles. The fallout from such a move from the Republicans would be indescribable. Already we've heard from idiot governor of Louisiana and Marco Rubio screeching Obama hasn't called our closest ally in the region to congratulate the pompous Netanyahu on his reelection. Obama mean well but I doubt anything constructive like putting Netanyahu in his well deserve rat hole will come about.
0 Replies

korkamann

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2015 03:29 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Quote:
"I guarantee you that [removing Saddam Hussein] will have enormous positive reverberations on the region," he (Netanyahu) said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2015/03/03/sorry-prime-minister-netanyahu-iran-is-not-the-islamic-state/

Thanks much for providing the link, Izzy. I'm grateful.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2015 03:47 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Good.

What I mean is, I would like Israel to change a lot of behavior as a state, and then I'd be back to being supportive. This is unlikely unless there is some foment there among the decision makers. Until such a time, I'm for the US (also a country with faults) not continuing being a rubber stamp.
oralloy

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2015 05:00 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
Yes, the balance of power idea is scary. But the arrogance of Israel, who owns a good hundred nuclear warheads at the least, and her keeping that program totally secret, are also scary.

That is preposterous. There is nothing about Israel that is even remotely arrogant.

Olivier5 wrote:
Israel has a track record of military aggression.

No they don't.

Olivier5 wrote:
If you put yourself in the shoes of the Iranians, you'll see immediately how really scary that picture looks.

More silliness. The only reason Iran is under threat at all is because of their support for terrorism and their mad quest for nuclear weapons. If they started behaving themselves, they would have nothing to worry about.

Olivier5 wrote:
But as of now, with Ahmedinejad out of the way and the sanctions bitting hard, they have decided to postpone that quest for a few years/decades. At least the enrichment. Iranians are long term players and planners. They are yielding, not breaking, to get the economy back on track. IF the sanctions are lifted, the sky is the limit for them.

If they resume their mad quest for nuclear weapons, the sanctions will return overnight. And if the sanctions don't work, bombs will follow.

Olivier5 wrote:
Iran's neighborhood is pretty unsafe though, and the way Israel is going and the Sunni states are disintegrating, I'm pessimistic. Worse case scenario, Iran could surprise us with a nuclear test circa 2025, after years of apparent compliance.

I have confidence that having UN inspectors crawling all over their country will prevent that from happening.

Olivier5 wrote:
By then, i reckon Israel will have built a giant chutzpah factory as an annex to the US Senate in DC, will have pissed off the world two millions times, invaded one or several neighboring states, and become ruled by a junta of neonazi rabbi... So everybody will look the other way.

If people look the other way, it will be because they support the bad guys. Any blame on Israel will be a smokescreen.

And if people do look the other way, it will be the end of the NPT. After the nuclear war, the people who looked the other way will be cursed by humanity's survivors for the rest of history.
oralloy

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2015 05:01 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
There shouldn't be two nations there...there shouldn't even be one nation there. It was a much better, more peaceful place before there was one.

It is Israel's homeland. They have every right to be there.
oralloy

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2015 05:01 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
Yeah, Jordan should take over with the assistance of the UN.

It will be a great pleasure for us to use our nuclear weapons to kill a billion Muslims should anyone ever attempt to make that happen.
oralloy

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2015 05:02 pm
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:
I tell ya, I will be Just about disgusted with Obama if just lets Netanyahu off scot free, particularly when they start building the settlements they are talking about. I am tired of our country being a fool for Israel.

Maybe you should consider reining in your anti-Semitism a bit.

Mr. Obama is not in a position to punish Mr. Netanyahu, and he would be wrong to do so even if he did have that power.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2015 05:03 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
Seriously, a country with the population of a city that would have never existed without us, that takes bank vaults full of our money and would have been rubbed off the Earth by now if we did not arm and protect it thinks it can dictate terms to us??!!

Well, that is what happens when our President announces to the World the he wants to "lead from behind". Guys who know how to use power knew then that they were listening to a chump, and chumps get used.

You have some facts wrong. Israel does not depend on us for their survival. And they are not dictating terms "to us"; they are a sovereign power who are merely deciding what their own position is.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2015 05:45 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

The media is trying to create the appearance of a conflict where there is actually nothing much happening.

I looked over the details of the proposal a day or two ago, and while I am sure that Israel will oppose it, the US' proposed UN resolution isn't a threat to Israel as far as I could see.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2015 05:45 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
What I mean is, I would like Israel to change a lot of behavior as a state, and then I'd be back to being supportive.

Let me guess, you like Jews best when they don't defend themselves and just let people wantonly murder them.
0 Replies