Five Reasons No Progressive Should Support Hillary Clinton

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 04:00 pm
@korkamann,
Quote:
believed the seat of the US presidency was reserved exclusively for the white man!

Says who?

Quote:
This is the backlash of anger stemming from racist, punitive, vindictive minds, simply because as an American Barack Obama dared to dream and actually grasp the goal he was seeking.
THe problem with Obama is that he is an incompetent prick, not that he is part black.
korkamann

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 04:05 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:

None of that changes what I said. On the Iraq vote she made the wrong call, Obama made the right one.

No one is disputing Hillary voted the wrong way and that is one of the reasons Obama had the edge over her, but not the end all reason. Senator Obama said he wasn't against all wars, only stupid wars. Hillary Clinton, being a woman, wanted to prove to the world she was just as tough on wars as any man, at least this is the way I describe her actions. Hillary is not a stupid woman and could see invading Iraq was wrong; or perhaps she did it to please the neocons. Be that as it may, many held her vote against her.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 04:15 pm
@hawkeye10,
Don't write of Libya too soon, after Gaddafi there was bound to be a state of verwirrung, it is a process, this is not the end.

As for Ukraine, they didn't go up against Putin, there was a popular revolution against the government, street stuff, it's not like when Saddam went into Kuwait thinking Bush Snr had given the go ahead. I don't think many street protestors were thinking about Clinton or any other American politician when it was all kicking off.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 04:17 pm
@korkamann,
You're saying that she needs to prove she's tough and acts against her own instincts just to look tough. That doesn't sound good.
korkamann

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 04:24 pm
@revelette2,
Quote:

Why couldn't people have simply liked Obama over Hillary? I have heard every excuse in the world as to why Obama was elected.

Because, Rev, in the world of politics, life is not so uncomplicated. It is the strongest who survives and Obama won with his coalition of diversity. In 2000, the people liked Al Gore more than GWB, but with the right set of political skills, the presidency was given to the most unqualified candidate.

In 2008, Asians, voted for Obama, along with Gays, Liberals, Women, College-age students, moderates, Latinos, African Americans, Independents; by Obama breaking the glass ceiling, it tokened he broke it for all minorities.
Olivier5

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 04:28 pm
@korkamann,
Quote:
Hillary is not a stupid woman and could see invading Iraq was wrong

Oh please... She knew it was wrong but voted for it nevertheless? Then she is a sissy.

Rather, Hillary is a FP hawk and always has been. She voted for the war because she (wrongly) believed it was a good war to fight. It's that simple. Don't vote for her if you want an isolationist US foreign policy, or a re-orientation of the USFP. She'll be nicer to Israel than Obama, and more inclined to bomb Iran than to sign deals with them.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 04:34 pm
@hawkeye10,
He is a lot more competent than people like Ronald Reagan, George H.W.Bush or Dubya Bush.

You just don't like him.
korkamann

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 04:38 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Rather, Hillary is a FP hawk and always has been. She voted for the war because she (wrongly) believed it was a good war to fight.

I, personally, do not know what was in Hillary Clinton's mind, I can only speculate. As for voting for her, I most certainly will because I don't think any other Democratic candidate can beat her. Besides, Clinton will uphold the Democratic platform.

Of course Hillary is not perfect, and between you and me and the lamppost, I don't know anyone who is, but as far as I'm concerned she is the most credible candidate the Dems can possibly hope for. She is not as liberal as I would like her to be and is very close to Wall Street, but compared to Ted Cruz and the Republicans, I pray to the powers that be nothing happens to Hillary Clinton and she will be America's next president.
revelette2

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 04:42 pm
@korkamann,
Quote:
Because, Rev, in the world of politics, life is not so uncomplicated. It is the strongest who survives and Obama won with his coalition of diversity. In 2000, the people liked Al Gore more than GWB, but with the right set of political skills, the presidency was given to the most unqualified candidate.

In 2008, Asians, voted for Obama, along with Gays, Liberals, Women, College-age students, moderates, Latinos, African Americans, Independents; by Obama breaking the glass ceiling, it tokened he broke it for all minorities.

And yet, sometimes it is. I see you gave yet another excuse. Obama wasn't the first black man to run for office.
Olivier5

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 04:44 pm
@korkamann,
Sure she'd be better than most repukes, but don't vote for her to get an isolationist foreign policy.

Happiness is all about managing your expectations... :-)
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 04:45 pm
@Olivier5,
I agree.
0 Replies

korkamann

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 04:49 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:

You're saying that she needs to prove she's tough and acts against her own instincts just to look tough. That doesn't sound good.

Izzy, that is not what I am saying. I said in my opinion she needed to prove to the world she was just as tough as any man. Many people stereotype, thinking women are soft when it comes to war. But then again, I do not actually know why Hillary voted the way she did; the odds are she did it for the neocons who wanted to get rid of Saddam Hussein; Hillary was, at the time, a US Senator from New York representing a very large Jewish constituency, and (AIPAC), a special interest.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 04:52 pm
@Olivier5,
What's an FP hawk? no kidding, that doesn't register.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 05:02 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

What's an FP hawk? no kidding, that doesn't register.
Foreign Policy was my reading....
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 05:07 pm
You know there really is no reason to just guess why Hillary (along with many others)voted for the Iraq resolution, she gave entire speech as to her reasons.

A golden oldie: Hillary's floor speech to invade Iraq

You know, it may well have been the Iraq vote as to why Hillary was rejected in 2008.
korkamann

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 05:13 pm
@revelette2,
Quote:

And yet, sometimes it is. I see you gave yet another excuse. Obama wasn't the first black man to run for office.

That is true, simply because there are many reasons, at least more than one as to why I answer the way I do. Of course there have been other black Americans to run for this high office, but Obama was the only truly qualified one with the possible exception of former Sectary of State, Colin Powell, a retired 5-star general, who did not campaign for the office. I'm sure there are many African American who are qualified but they have not tried or lack the enthusiasm to fight the discrimination which is sure to follow.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 05:15 pm
@korkamann,
Thatcher was strong, but she also knew her own mind. If Clinton voted for the Iraq war just to prove a point, she's doing what others want, not what she thinks is best.

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 05:22 pm
@revelette2,
Quote:
he gave entire speech as to her reasons.

Quote:
Because bipartisan support for this resolution makes success in the United Nations more likely, and therefore, war less likely, and because a good faith effort by the United States, even if it fails, will bring more allies and legitimacy to our cause, I have concluded, after careful and serious consideration, that a vote for the resolution best serves the security of our nation. If we were to defeat this resolution or pass it with only a few Democrats, I am concerned that those who want to pretend this problem will go way with delay will oppose any UN resolution calling for unrestricted inspections.

Where to begin? The UN was long out of the picture so far as Bush was concerned, so claiming the her vote is motivated by a desire to empower the UN is either a lie or is naive. We should go to war when it is in our interest, any approval for war must be based upon our interests. We are not anymore the global police, the American people will not stand for it.

Quote:
I urge the President to spare no effort to secure a clear, unambiguous demand by the United Nations for unlimited inspections.

"here Mr President is a club to use to get inspections for the UN, I trust that you will use it for that and not to go to war"

She cant be that dumb. So it was a lie.
Thomas

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 10:06 pm
@hawkeye10,
Hawkeye, which (potential) presidential candidate do you like, and why?
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 10:19 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Hawkeye, which (potential) presidential candidate do you like, and why?

I cant say that I like any, the choices are very sub par, very not worthy of America.

The best of the lot seems to be Walker. He is fresh enough to maybe not be completely ruined by the normal corruption/game playing/ignorance, He is a natural politician, he is willing to try sound new ideas and has done so a few times, he seems as honest as they come, and sorry to say I like him because he is a guy from my neck of the woods whom I immediately think I know and like. Prejudice for my own kind.

BTW: those who know something of Zen will understand this honesty I have with myself, this willingness to talk about faults, this not pretending to be perfect. In our worldview only knowing and understanding the shadow of the soul as Jung called it will allow us to perfect life, and we are not Gods so we all have faults so anyone waving their finger of shame at me can shut the **** up and go to Hell. You are either lying or ignorant, either way I dont have time for you, I have things to do and people to see......life is short.

note: the Above is a general statement, not applied to Thomas. It might apply to him too but I doubt it, cause he seems to be a right decent guy....even though for some reason we can never seem to see eye to eye on anything.