@MyFellowAtheists: How Big an Atheist Are You?

ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2015 08:31 pm
@Thomas,
I think I alluded to that, but I can be slipshod.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2015 11:21 pm
Irreligious = Russell's teapot = Chum's perspectives.

I do believe however, that older women often wear too much perfume and too much makeup, and that can make me a bit uncomfortable being close to them, and that saddens me a little, because I would assume they do so to make themselves more attractive, and I appreciate older woman, being that I am an older man, and so goes the state of my beliefs.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2015 05:41 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Kolyo wrote:
@MyFellowAtheists: How Big an Atheist Are You?

I'm 5'7", or in metric units, 1.70m.

EDIT: Dammit, Edgar, you beat me to it! And there I was, thinking I was clever.
I'm not just clever. I'm also fast.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2015 07:01 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank, I still consider you a pal and a great source of good information. But I think Sentanta was gunning me this time.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2015 07:09 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

Frank, I still consider you a pal and a great source of good information. But I think Sentanta was gunning me this time.

Matters not for whom he was "gunning"...my remark stands! Wink
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2015 08:08 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Olivier claims we are wrong in our self definitions, although non-hard atheism is understood by many, including some dictionaries. You are free to self define, Olivier, go to it. That is what kolyo asked.

Whhhaaaat?.... Where does that come from? This is a horrible misunderstanding.

I now realize you mentioned the importance of self-titling several times and I didn't pick the clue...

For the record, I don't disagree with anybody's self definition. I never did. If i gave that impression in a post, that was probably my mistake but i never meant to deny the title to anyone who calls him or herself an atheist. Never. That would be downright rude of me or anyone. Many shades are fine with me.

My position all along has been that there are several different meanings for the terms atheist and atheism in use in real life language, not unlike the dictionary definitions provided by others than me upthread. As you said, definitions are written by people too...

I generally agree with most of these 'official' definitions and actually find Thomas' the best...

I was just saying that atheists can have ideological motivations like anybody else, when Beth argued that atheism being pure absence of belief, it could not possibly motivate or be part of anything like an ideology. I believe that this argument is weak, precisely because Atheism CAN, for some people mean something else or more than that.

This semantic storm was confusing and a pure waste of time. This was posted 2 days ago:

Quote:
'Atheism' may mean several things to several people. Therefore it's not an ideology. [...] Yet, each individual atheist may have his/her ideology, a personal system of political thought.[...] Nothing wrong with it as long as you don't let your ideology dominate you body and soul. But yes, atheists can have ideological motives just like anybody else.

http://able2know.org/topic/267220-5#post-5885850

Hope this clarifies.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2015 10:19 am
@Olivier5,
OK.. ; )
Olivier5

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2015 11:19 am
@ossobuco,
Sorry for the confusion. No inquisitor here.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2015 12:28 pm
Why does having a political ideology translate to an atheist ideology?
Ragman

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2015 12:37 pm
@edgarblythe,
it doesn't...or, it shouldn't.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2015 12:47 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

it doesn't...or, it shouldn't.

Neither do I.

And I don't think anyone truly suggested that it does.

I think Edgar is just trying to be as disgruntled as the look of his avatar.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2015 12:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
I'm a Progressive, Missouri Synod Lutheran (baptised, confirmed, educated) Republican.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2015 01:15 pm
@edgarblythe,
Never ask frank if he wiped his ass this morning. He will refuse to make a guess.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2015 01:20 pm
I took oliver's post to mean atheist ideology is an atheist's political ideology. The two of course are not related. A true atheist has no religion related ideology unless he deliberately creates his own. He can have ideologies in lots of things, including politics if he so chooses.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2015 01:25 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Never ask frank if he wiped his ass this morning. He will refuse to make a guess.

I make guesses all the time, Edgar. I've mentioned that I have many times. I just like to call my guesses "guesses."

And I not only wiped my ass this morning, I used Balneol for complete cleanliness.

You wrote that you wanted to repair whatever was bothering you that causes you to be as nasty as you are to me...and now here you are being as nasty as possible again.

And playing the game that you are ignoring me.

Why not drop all this nonsense...and act adult?

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2015 01:29 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I took oliver's post to mean atheist ideology is an atheist's political ideology. The two of course are not related. A true atheist has no religion related ideology unless he deliberately creates his own. He can have ideologies in lots of things, including politics if he so chooses.

Many "true atheists" (why did Sarah Palin saying "true Americans" flash through my mind?)...

...anyway...many true atheists have an ideology...that of the belief that there are no gods involved in the REALITY of existence.

Why does it bother you so much when people call that to your attention? You apparently are not one of them.

You don't "believe" there are no gods, right?
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2015 01:35 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Because they are trying to make atheism another belief set like christianity. They hate that an atheist cannot be tied up like that, unless he makes a decision to do so. In short, people like you are aching to have a control over atheists that I for one resent very much. An absence of something an ideology? You must be as drunk as we used to say of spendius.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2015 01:37 pm
@Frank Apisa,
As long as you jump into atheist discussions with bogus bullshit I will get annoyed with you.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2015 01:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Because they are trying to make atheism another belief set like christianity.

I'm not sure who you mean by "they", Edgar...but I most assuredly am not trying to do that.

I am saying that there are some atheists who ASSERT that there are no gods. Those atheist are simply asserting a belief. There is absolutely no way anyone can know that there are no gods...IT MUST BE A GUESS...which I am willing to kindly call a belief.

I am talking only about those atheists who assert there are no gods.

Anyone asserting a belief...is asserting a belief...which is exactly what Christians do.

Quote:

They hate that an atheist cannot be tied up like that, unless he makes a decision to do so.

Once again, I do not know who "they" are...but I do not hate anyone for anything.

But if an atheistsDOES MAKE THAT DECISION...what I said holds.

You seem to be the one having difficulty acknowledging that there is a large body of atheists who DO assert there are no gods...or who do assert a "belief" that there are no gods.

I am making a guess that MOST atheists "believe" there are no gods...whether they assert it or not.

I've asked you: Do you believe there are no gods or not?

Quote:
In short, people like you are aching to have a control over atheists that I for one resent very much.

Well do not resent anything about that as regards me, Edgar, because I am NOT TRYING TO CONTROL YOU OR ANY OTHER ATHEIST. I am not trying to "put them down" in any way.

I am simply having a discussion about atheism...and some of the facts I am sharing seem to bother you a great deal. You seem to take my comments as an affront. Are you suggesting that when people discuss atheism with you they cannot speak their mind?

Quote:
An absence of something an ideology?

NO...and by now you have to realize I am not talking about any atheists who do not assert there are no gods...or who do not have a belief that there are no gods.

But any atheist who does assert there are no gods...or who "believes" there are no gods...IS advancing an ideology.

Surely you realize that.

Quote:

You must be as drunk as we used to say of spendius.

I am under doctors instructions not to drink. I seldom have more than one beer or one glass of wine in a month.

I am not drunk. And what I am actually saying makes sense.

I do not understand why you are so incensed about it.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2015 01:50 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

As long as you jump into atheist discussions with bogus bullshit I will get annoyed with you.

Point out the bogus nature of anything I have said.

Nothing I have said is bogus.
0 Replies