@MyFellowAtheists: How Big an Atheist Are You?

argome321

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2015 09:42 am
@Olivier5,
[quoteThere ARE cases where you can easily steal, or even kill, and get away with it. ][/quote]

That is true and that will always be, but I think philosophy takes in mankind as a whole. We don't have to throw the baby out with the bath water. I think I would be foolish to believe every human being would be cooperative on a large scale. on the same level, that is why I think it is impossible to codify behavior universally.
But to accept any form of morality blindingly without assessing it is just as dangerous. So some type of analyses is needed, something more than just empathy. Feelings alone could lead to other emotional and unjust reactions, revenge, bigotry and hatred etc. That is where I believe logic and reason must play a part.

I'm sorry I thought you were a theist because your argument seem to me that atheist (all inclusive) had specific positions on morality and or other subjects. If I misconstrued your belief excuse me.

I mean I could be an atheist and a mass murder E.G. Stalin, don't worry I'm not. LOL
Olivier5

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2015 10:05 am
@argome321,
No disagreement there. I'm just puzzled by what I see as a natural capacity for a moral attitude, founded on empathy.

Where are you from, Argome?
argome321

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2015 10:41 am
@Olivier5,
Where are you from, Argome?

I'm a 63 yr old retired African American/ Black male burn and bred die hard New Yorker
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2015 10:46 am
@argome321,
The New York/New Jersey contingent of A2K gets together for a drink or dinner often during the warmer weather.

Hope you will be able to join us this summer at some point.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2015 10:50 am
@argome321,
Okay. I'm a 50 yr old Frenchman, not retired unfortunately... :-)
layman

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2015 05:42 pm
@Olivier5,
Hey, Oliver! Fresco has been lookin for your French ass, eh?

http://able2know.org/topic/268503-1#post-5894113

Just thought you might want to know.
Olivier5

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2015 04:37 am
@layman,
Hey Layman. Fresco is a waste of time; 99 % of times. Once in a blue moon an interesting intuition hits him, but otherwise he is the perfect example of "a little knowledge" and how it can be dangerous. Pedantic, and not particularly honest intellectually either.
layman

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2015 01:47 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Fresco is a waste of time; ...he is the perfect example of "a little knowledge" and how it can be dangerous. Pedantic, and not particularly honest intellectually either.

OK, I see. I certainly couldn't dispute that.
0 Replies