@MyFellowAtheists: How Big an Atheist Are You?

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2015 07:45 pm
@FBM,
orangish ochre.
FBM

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2015 07:50 pm
@edgarblythe,
OK, then. Just checking that you weren't one of those reddish brown stripe heretics.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2015 07:52 pm
@FBM,
They will burn in imaginary hell.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2015 07:54 pm
@edgarblythe,
http://www.tutankhamunshop.co.uk/acatalog/turq-scarab.jpg
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2015 07:57 pm
@ehBeth,
I don't believe it.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2015 08:02 pm
@ehBeth,
I still have my egyptian scarab bracelet..
from the day Diane and I went to the pawn shop, identified as a place to get a watch fixed..

I need to go back there, two watches need fixing.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2015 08:10 pm
@edgarblythe,
just got more

<nods>
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2015 08:20 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I don't believe it.

She's an infidel. Burn her.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2015 08:36 pm
@FBM,
pfffffffffft

I'm the goddess of fire

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/10/39/5f/10395fbd73999e16aa83ba454321e460.jpg
FBM

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2015 08:38 pm
@ehBeth,
Pour water on her!
ehBeth

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2015 08:40 pm
@FBM,
<ahem>

did you forget that fire goddesses traditionally travel with umbrellas?

https://sanaakosirickylee.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/white-umbrella-tara.jpg

tsk tsk tsk

kids these days
FBM

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2015 08:43 pm
@ehBeth,
Dammit. http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/sad_shakefist.gif
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2015 11:17 am
Atheists = monsters

The headline at The Drudge Retort site reads: Three Muslim College Students Killed By Atheist

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. — Chapel Hill police said Wednesday that an ongoing dispute over parking may have led to a triple shooting Tuesday night at a condominium complex on Summerwalk Circle.

Craig Stephen Hicks, 46, has been charged with first-degree murder in the deaths of Deah Shaddy Barakat, 23, his wife, Yusor Mohammad, 21, and her sister, Razan Mohammad Abu-Salha, 19.

Hicks turned himself in to the Chatham County Sheriff’s Office in Pittsboro following the shooting, which happened in the Finley Forest complex off Barbee Chapel Road shortly after 5 p.m.

All three victims were shot in the head, sources said.

The three victims were Muslim, and Hicks is not, according to posts about atheism on his Facebook page. In thousands of posts on social media, many have now questioned whether the victims' Islamic faith was a factor in the shooting.

The Council on American-Islamic Relations, the nation's largest civil advocacy group for Muslims, called on law enforcement officials Wednesday to address speculation about a motive for the killings.

"Based on the brutal nature of this crime, the past anti-religion statements of the alleged perpetrator, the religious attire of two of the victims and the rising anti-Muslim rhetoric in American society, we urge state and federal law enforcement authorities to quickly address speculation of a possible bias motive in this case," CAIR National Executive Director Nihad Awad said in a statement. "Our heartfelt condolences go to the families and loved ones of the victims and to the local community."

Police said Wednesday that they are looking into what led to the "senseless and tragic act."

Read more at http://www.wral.com/chapel-hill-police-parking-dispute-may-have-led-to-triple-shooting/14438074/#xBYmz3vr8aZU4F4T.99
Olivier5

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2015 11:29 am
@edgarblythe,
I don;t know what happened in this case but for sure, atheists are capable of ideologically-based hatred, just like anybody else...
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2015 11:35 am
Oh. I did not know that.
Olivier5

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2015 11:45 am
@edgarblythe,
The amount of anti-religious hatred that get dished out has always amazed me. And indeed, it could at some point become dangerous, like any hate speech.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2015 01:03 pm
@Olivier5,
If you are referring to me, you're barking up the wrong tree.
Olivier5

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2015 01:06 pm
@edgarblythe,
Not talking of you.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2015 01:09 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
atheists are capable of ideologically-based hatred, just like anybody else...

perhaps they're like everyone else, capable of hatred

ideologically-based, related to atheism, is a bit tricky since every atheist I've known in real life (and they are very few and far between even in Canada) are of the don't know/don't care/don't talk about it variety.

there's no steam about/against religion in the atheists I know in real life
Olivier5

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2015 01:28 pm
@ehBeth,
Well, yes, people don't usually kill other people over issues they do not care about...

But the "don't care" don't have any strong position on the issue, so I wouldn't call them theists or atheists. Just like in a political poll, you have (for example) the leftists, the rightists, and then don't care/don't know. The latter are a separate category; they shouldn't be mixed up with the rightists or the leftists.