Plans and info for meeting Oct 22 - 25 in Austin. Jump in!!

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 11:20 am
I am just starting this thread to get an idea on how many people would be interested in attending a gathering. I live in Austin wich has been the suggested meeting place. I would be MORE then happy to help with reservations, pricing, hotel info etc. Just PM me with the information you need so that I can keep track of everything and give you a reply. Lets try to keep this thread open and up a while so everyone has a chance to see it and vote. If there is enough people interested what I want to do is create a small web site tailored to this trip and make some maps, list common and popular car rental places, hotels, restaurants , flight prices etc. If the meeting stays small.. I will stick with just personal PM's for information.
Let me know what I can do to help. My husband works at UT and we live in the southern part of Austin. Almost all attractions are enroute for both of us and can be found quickly!
Hope to see alot of people go!!!! I know I will attend. There are a few people I would like to meet. So far the suggested month is October this year. Later in the month ok? Maybe suggest some dates too and lets see if we can get a good general time to work for all!!!

Idea Smile Smile Smile Idea
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 8,442 • Replies: 132
No top replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 11:24 am
RSVP two. Will make a place on the schedule whenever it happens to be, around the the time of cicerone's visit (October preferred as weather cooperates then but will be there no matter what).
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 11:29 am
Guess I'm out.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 11:47 am
Please say "no" edgar - missed you so the last time :sad:
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 11:54 am
edgar, What will it take for you to attend?
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 12:14 pm
I hope to attend, but will need to see what weekend we end up with... Very Happy
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 12:16 pm
Why are you out?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 12:30 pm
Alas, edgar's work tethers him to Houston, and the north side of town at that (he has posted this previously in the other thread).

I have PM'd him with some suggestions on how a Gathering he could attend could go...
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 12:34 pm
<<< think I need to read other threads to catch up on things! hehehe
We dont all have to stay in austin... or have just one meeting in austin. Maybe some may not want to travel this far south..or east.. west .. what ever way they are coming from. A stop over in houston may be a good place for some too. Who knows.. everything is just begining,nothing is concrete yet.
He can always just run away too.. hehehe
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 01:21 pm
shewolf, Ditto for us; nothing is locked in cement yet, so plans can be made to accommodate one or two venues.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 01:21 pm
San Antonio is nice too!
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 01:27 pm
There's also pics of the last gathering --> http://www.able2know.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=31
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 08:39 pm
We can also have a week long meeting so that people can have more time to plan to be here. Maybe given a longer span of time , more opportunities will show up ?
I think if we just keep tossing ideas in the air , chaos theory will rule and they will all fall into place one time or another.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 08:45 pm
shewolf, If our experience with the San Francisco Gathering is any hint of what we can expect for the Texas Gathering, we can anticipate that less than 50 percent of those planning to attend will actually show up. Chaos theory is the smart way to go; try to tie down attendees close to the meeting dates. You can help select the venue for the first meet; date, time and place. Most of the attendees of the San Francisco Gathering logded at the same hotel which made it easy to organize events.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 08:54 pm
Hmmm.. maybe it would be better if I just went with my original idea of creating a psudo-web site and post links to popular hotels , car rentals etc here in austin to help people out in finding information.
What do you think about that? Easier? It seems sensable to me. BUT.. it would be just my luck that I attempt to help a small crowd and end up leaving out alot of other people and cause my own chaos! haha
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 08:59 pm
I'm in consultation with pdiddie. get back with you later.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 08:11 am
shewolfnm - the most important thing to get down first is a date - I'll throw out the first and we can go from there:

Oct 15,16,17,18 (that's Fri through Mon)

it can be squeezed or extended by adding 14,19 (Thur, Tue).

We also stayed in the same hotel at the first gathering, for the most part. One person stayed at a different location and found it was easier when we were all together. Makes it kinda folksy Smile
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 10:29 am
Bill, Give us two options in October. My wife is gonna ask for her vacation days tomorrow.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 11:53 am
How about 3 Question

1. Oct 15,16,17,18 (that's Fri through Mon)

it can be squeezed or extended by adding 14,19 (Thur, Tue).

2. Oct 8,9,10,11 (that's Fri through Mon)

it can be squeezed or extended by adding 7,12 (Thur, Tue).

3. Oct 22,23,24,25 (that's Fri through Mon)

it can be squeezed or extended by adding 21,26 (Thur, Tue).

If anybody has any input - it needs to happen soon Exclamation
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 11:59 am
Bill's first and third options will work best for me...
0 Replies