Brian Williams - why lie?

ehBeth

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2015 03:30 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

You take hostility towards the elite to the insane, and look foolish doing it.

interesting, since hostility towards 'the elite' appears to be your current default setting

I guess you do understand why you look foolish to some of us as a result (see your comments re Andy).

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2015 03:31 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Speaking an outrageous lie about someone does not equal mocking.

Do onto others as you would have them do onto you.

again, see your comments re Andy

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2015 04:44 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

hawkeye10 wrote:

Speaking an outrageous lie about someone does not equal mocking.

Do onto others as you would have them do onto you.

again, see your comments re Andy

If I was missing the truth through unfounded arrogance I would want someone to attempt to wake me up.
djjd62

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2015 04:52 pm
@hawkeye10,
if I want waking up I'll buy an alarm clock or a rooster
ossobuco

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2015 06:41 pm
@djjd62,
isn't that a rooster on your head? kidding, djjd. I'm on your side, generally speaking and in this case, specifically.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2015 11:41 pm
Quote:
From 2006 to 2011, he appeared at least 146 times on programs such as “Late Show With David Letterman,” “The Tonight Show,” “Ellen” and “The Daily Show With Jon Stewart,” according to a Washington Post analysis.

At 30 Rockefeller Plaza in New York, NBC executives cheered the appearances.

In the newsroom, reporters and producers grew increasingly concerned.

“Brian was a hell of a journalist,” said a longtime NBC producer, who no longer works for the network. “But Brian was always pressured by management to be more approachable, show that raconteur side of himself. And when you go on Letterman or Stewart, there are different rules.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/storytelling-ability-connected-williams-with-his-viewers-but-also-led-to-his-downfall/2015/02/14/def95228-b3a4-11e4-854b-a38d13486ba1_story.html?hpid=z1

Yep, which is why NBC needs to take responsibility for their actions, they can not blame this all on Williams. NBC has no moral authority to "hold him accountable" for doing what they themselves asked him to do.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2015 11:49 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Williams cannot say he did not write it, because that calls into question the credibility of the whole operation that is the NBC Nightly News. That would be pulling an Arnett. The only thing worse for NBC's public relations than the head honcho's failure is the admission of an institutional failure. Williams has no choice. He is the face of the franchise. He has to take the bullet. Let's not get so crazy as to call it a heroic act, but there is a poetry to it consistent with his reputation (until last week).

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/features/brian-williams-and-the-smoking-gun-that-isnt-20150214#ixzz3Rn1yD0sl
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

ROLLING STONE! makes a good point, though a better one is that by going around to anyone who wanted to listen and telling stories Williams was doing exactly what NBC wanted him to do, and they had every ability to know what he was saying.....and they were clearly OK with what he was saying. Right up till the moment they were not OK with it.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 12:04 am
@hawkeye10,
Still thinking that the thing to do here is get his non compete clause nullified, then change MEGACORPS....go work for VIACOM's Comedy Central.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 08:34 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:

If I was missing the truth through unfounded arrogance I would want someone to attempt to wake me up.

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fvayzo.com%2Fimages%2Fstories%2Fmickey-mouse-alarm-clock__.jpg&f=1

Wake up hawkeye10!
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 12:53 pm
American news corporations, with the sole exception of PBS, lost all credibility in the run up to the invasion of Iraq.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 01:51 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

American news corporations, with the sole exception of PBS, lost all credibility in the run up to the invasion of Iraq.

and we got a repeat performance in the run up to the Great Recession. And what about the desolation of the economic lives of young adults? We rarely hear about that, even as a new study is out that shows that if we have not made ourselves well off by 45 we almost certainly never will be. these people who dont even start earning significant money till late 20's are never going catch up to previous generations earnings, and they are blissfully unaware.

EDIT: About a year ago there was another study that followed the people who graduated with a BS in 08/09, when a lot of people decided to immediately go to grad school since the job market sucked. The study said that on average those who went into the crappy job market with a BS made the more economically sound choice, that those who went to grad school still entered a crappy market, one that was flooded with master degree holders who had never worked, and now they had grad school loans to carry.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 02:12 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
EDIT: About a year ago there was another study that followed the people who graduated with a BS in 08/09, when a lot of people decided to immediately go to grad school since the job market sucked. The study said that on average those who went into the crappy job market with a BS made the more economically sound choice, that those who went to grad school still entered a crappy market, one that was flooded with master degree holders who had never worked, and now they had grad school loans to carry.

Source?
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 02:30 pm
@izzythepush,
IDK. I read a lot of things but dont always remember where. This caught my eye because in 08/09 there was a great debate on what these people should do, and a lot of them decided to go to grad school. When science comes out that this was a poor choice I take note.

Also, one of my daughters graduated into the poor job market (10), she ended up taking a job at about half the pay she was expecting. But she took it and busted her ass on the job, and now she makes over $100,000 per year. She never considered going right to grad school though, as she believes that on the job experience is very important to being valuable on the job market.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 02:56 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

IDK. I read a lot of things but dont always remember where.

How convenient. Unfortunately your word isn't good enough for a lot of people, so you're going to need to start remembering stuff.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 03:00 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

considered yourself slapped til you wake up
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 04:56 pm
@ehBeth,
That line does not work on someone who gets proven right as often as I do, year after year.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 05:16 pm
@hawkeye10,
Examples? Links?
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 09:24 pm
Quote:
Long before “NBC Nightly News” anchor Brian Williams conceded last week that he had exaggerated a harrowing tale of coiming under fire while aboard an Army helicopter during the 2003 Iraq invasion, his predecessor Tom Brokaw was warning colleagues that Williams’ version of events didn’t dovetail with the facts, NPR’s David Folkenflikn reports.

For “at least a year,” Folkenfilk says, Brokaw has been intimating that Williams’ gripping account — one that has repeatedly evolved over the years — raises significant red flags. Brokaw reportedly looked into the incident himself and concluded that “the facts simply didn’t match.” In the final analysis, Brokaw, who anchored the broadcast from 1982 to 2004, sees Williams as “more of a performer than an anchor,” Folkenfilk reports

http://www.alternet.org/tom-brokaw-warned-year-brian-williams-iraq-story-was-big-fib

And yet management did nothing.

The fears that many of us had about Comcast owning NBC have clearly come to pass.

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 09:30 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
But my phone was ringing off the hook with agents, newsroom executives and staffers wanting to tell me, off the record and on background, what hardworking, nonshow-biz journalists both ABC's David Muir and CBS' Scott Pelley are as anchors and managing editors.

The theme: Muir and Pelley are the anti-Brian Williams, the anchorman known the last couple of years more for "slow-jamming the news" with Jimmy Fallon than covering it responsibly for his viewers during the dinner hour. But even if it is pure spin, I am delighted to be hearing it, because it shows that one lesson the networks appear to be taking from the fall of Williams and NBC News is that good journalism is good business.
Now comes the reckoning, because Brian Williams lost his journalistic way and Comcast, which took control of NBC in 2011, never seemed to understand the responsibilities that came with owning a national news operation.

NBC made more than $200 million in 2013 with the "Nightly News" — $30 million more than ABC and $50 million more than CBS.

That's the kind of money that's now up for grabs in the nightly news race. Look for slick network promotions in coming weeks showcasing the journalistic bona fides of Muir and Pelley. These are not blue smoke and mirrors. Both have paid some dues as reporters.

I know Pelley better than Muir. I've been writing and talking to him since the mid-1980s when I was a TV and media columnist at the late Dallas Times Herald and he was a reporter at an affiliate there. I know he takes the journalistic component of his job and the tradition of the chair in which he sits seriously — far more seriously than Williams did.

Lester Holt, who is replacing Williams, also has solid journalistic credentials. But he's in a tough spot, having the job on what's being presented as a temporary basis — while at the helm of a rudderless news operation.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/tv/z-on-tv-blog/bs-ae-zontv-brian-williams-20150213-story.html#page=1

Yep, this is an institutional problem, not a brian williams problem, and I have zero faith that comcast wants to fix the problem, or that they could if they wanted to do so.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 09:36 pm
@izzythepush,
He's got nothing.