Brian Williams - why lie?

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2015 12:29 am
Quote:
Being accused of fabulism by liberal news outlets like Mother Jones and Media Matters doesn’t harm O’Reilly’s credibility, because O’Reilly’s credibility is dependent on exploiting a sense of victimization among his audience. Much of the Fox News demographic is composed of people who feel that they’re under attack by unscrupulous liberals. So when it appears that a host comes under attack by unscrupulous liberals, that serves to reinforce their existing worldview. The first thought isn’t Bill O’Reilly is a liar. It’s The world is out to get Bill O’Reilly.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2015/02/why_fox_isn_t_willing_to_fire_him_like_glenn_beck.html

Exactly. This has to be the stupidest thing the liberals have done since they went to war with Walker with out the strength to beat him. These idiots are actively promoting their opponents. And I have no doubt that these idiots would at the drop of a hat give me a detailed one hour dissertation from memory on how stupid the Tea partiers are.

Hilarious.
djjd62

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2015 06:40 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Being accused of fabulism by liberal news outlets like Mother Jones and Media Matters doesn’t harm O’Reilly’s credibility, because O’Reilly’s credibility is dependent on exploiting a sense of victimization among his audience. Much of the Fox News demographic is composed of people who feel that they’re under attack by unscrupulous liberals. So when it appears that a host comes under attack by unscrupulous liberals, that serves to reinforce their existing worldview. The first thought isn’t Bill O’Reilly is a liar. It’s The world is out to get Bill O’Reilly.

saying, Much of the Fox News demographic is composed of people who are morons, would have been more succinct
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2015 06:54 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

Quote:

saying, Much of the Fox News demographic is composed of people who are morons, would have been more succinct

But it would not have been particularly fair to morons!
djjd62

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2015 10:04 am
@Frank Apisa,
true
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2015 11:46 am
@Nark Mobble,
I worked on a Merchant ship that saw active duty during the Falkland's war. (I was not on board at the time, I joined a few years later.) Lots of my crewmates were there though, unlike O'Reilly, they didn't like to talk about it.
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2015 10:18 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Much of the Fox News demographic is composed of people who are morons,

Not like the "intellectuals" that suck up all that pablum that is spewed on the Communist News Network and wash it down with the green kool-aid from MSNBC.
wmwcjr

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2015 12:20 am
@giujohn,
You know better than that! I prefer red Cool-Aid, not green! Rolling Eyes

After all, I'm a Communist, you Red baiter! Twisted Evil

Oh, by the way, this is me having fun wrecking havoc at the Overlook last winter. Smile

http://1.media.collegehumor.cvcdn.com/74/25/f7d00a4ac4e1679612fbc243f3c86e2d.jpg

0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2015 07:01 am
@giujohn,
there morons too

anyone who believes any news source is a moron

again, applying the Animal Farm principal to life as i do in every situation, all news watchers are morons, some are more moronic than others
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2015 07:38 am
@giujohn,
giujohn wrote:

Quote:
Much of the Fox News demographic is composed of people who are morons,

Not like the "intellectuals" that suck up all that pablum that is spewed on the Communist News Network and wash it down with the green kool-aid from MSNBC.

I was not the person who wrote that remark you quoted, John.

I was the person who suggested the remark was unfair to morons.

Try to get it right.
djjd62

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2015 09:25 am
@Frank Apisa,
he's not got much right to date, why start now Razz
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 07:17 pm
Quote:
Seeking to contain the damage from the Brian Williams crisis and put an end to a series of management missteps that has left NBC News in turmoil, NBCUniversal is preparing to shake up the executive ranks of its news division.

The company is in advanced discussions with its former news chief, Andrew Lack, about returning to the network, multiple NBC executives briefed on the discussions said Tuesday. An announcement is expected in the coming days.

Mr. Lack, 67, is expected to take on the leading role at the NBC News group, which includes NBC News, MSNBC and CNBC, said the people, who spoke on the condition they not be identified because the talks are continuing.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102475959

Good on Comcast for understanding that at root they dont have a Brian Williams problem, they have a bad management problem.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2015 01:56 am
Quote:
The possible murder confession in HBO’s “The Jinx” has raised questions in the documentary world about the tension between the need for accuracy and the imperative to tell a good story.

http://www.nytimes.com/

This aint complicated folks, you tell the best story with the truth that you can, then call it a day.
djjd62

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2015 05:36 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
The possible murder confession in HBO’s “The Jinx” has raised questions in the documentary world about the tension between the need for accuracy and the imperative to tell a good story.

http://www.nytimes.com/

This aint complicated folks, you tell the best story with the truth that you can, then call it a day.

but that would leave no room for the infotainment industry

and then the news anchors would be free to walk among us

no, better to keep the lies and keep them contained in their own reality
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2015 01:24 am
The current Vanity Fair has a very interesting piece on this. While it talks about how problems have been developing for years it lays most of the blame at the feet of Comcast for incompetence and neglect (mostly but not entirely Williams two immediate superiors...both women) . It also paints Williams and an entitled lazy schemer with little interest in Journalism who is not much liked. I have been reading elsewhere that the crew in the DC Bureau threatened full revolt if Comcast tried to bring Williams back.

I called this ages ago, he is done.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2015 04:14 am
@hawkeye10,
Speculation is that Comcast will announce on or about May 11 what Williams is going to do. Those on the inside say that it is most likely he will be gone, but maybe he is not fired, maybe they mutually agree and he tries to get a gig that is less journalism and more entertainment. Some are even suggesting that it could happen at MSNBC
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2015 05:45 pm
@hawkeye10,

Prospect of Brian Williams returning to 'NBC Nightly News' is fading

Quote:
Brian Williams’ future as anchor of “NBC Nightly News” is still undecided, but it’s looking bleak.

NBC News officials continue to say the internal review into Williams’ reporting is ongoing and no decision has been made about whether he will return from his current suspension, which began Feb. 11. Williams was benched after falsely stating he was in a helicopter that was hit by a rocket-propelled grenade during the 2003 U.S. invasion of Iraq.

However, the chatter among members of the TV news industry -- many of whom were in Washington this weekend for the annual dinner of the White House Correspondents' Assn. -- is that they cannot see a path for Williams to return.

“If there was, don’t you think we’d be hearing about it by now?” said one NBC News veteran.

Speculation that Williams is a goner heated up as several reports based on unnamed sources said that NBC’s internal review found numerous situations in which the anchor publicly made embellished statements about his reporting. An NBC News spokeswoman declined to comment.

Despite previous reports that suggested NBC wants to get the issue resolved before upfront ad sales for the 2015-16 season begin next week, an executive close to the matter said NBC News Chairman Andy Lack is under no pressure to make a call on Williams soon.

The investigation is continuing, the executive said, and a decision on Williams’ fate is still at least five weeks away.

Under the terms of his suspension, Williams is muzzled by NBC and cannot respond to the negative stories about further alleged problems with his reporting.

Even if the results of the review leave an opening to bring Williams back, Lack will also have to consider the impact on his organization’s morale.

There has been no public statement from anyone at NBC News calling for Williams to return to the anchor chair. His support among the rank and file in the division is said to be thin.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-brian-williams-future-20150426-story.html

This reminds me of when Don told Pete

Quote:
"Keep it up, and even if you do get my job you'll never run this place . You'll die in that corner office, a midlevel executive with a little bit of hair who women go home with out of pity. Want to know why? Because no one will like you."

Williams was the face of NBC NEws, he wanted to run it, he tried to run it, but failed, in large part because he is not liked.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2015 06:07 am
Brian Williams Scandal Widens With More Exaggerations Discovered
Source: Sfgate

Internal NBC review finds suspended anchor embellished coverage of Israel/Hezbollah conflict, the Arab Spring and more, according to reports

More exaggerations and embellishments have been found in Brian Williams‘ previous reporting by NBC News’ internal review.

Both The New York Times and The Washington Post reported Friday and Saturday that NBC brass has found other questionable comments by Williams regarding his reporting in 2006 from the Israel/Hezbollah conflict; descriptions made about his reporting from Cairo’s Tahrir Square during the Arab Spring protests in 2011; the details surrounding him receiving a fragment of the helicopter that crashed during the mission that killed Osama bin Laden; as well as other undisclosed incidents.

The Post reported NBC executives including NBCUniversal CEO Steve Burke, new NBC News chairman Andrew Lack and NBC News president Deborah Turness met in a conference room Thursday to discuss the current findings in Williams’ investigation. These three, led by Burke, will ultimately decide if the suspended Williams will return to NBC News.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/entertainment/article/Brian-Williams-Scandal-Widens-With-More-6223714.php
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2015 06:09 am
https://fellowshipofminds.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/lyin-brian-williams4.jpg
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2015 10:15 am
Quote:
Veteran journalist Dan Rather said Sunday that he believes the network is being "downright vicious" for leaking information about its investigation into Williams, and he thinks it will be "very hard" for Williams to ever return to work.

"Objectively it’s very hard to see how NBC brings him back," Rather told CNN "Reliable Sources" host Brian Stelter. "I said some time ago I thought his chances were slim to none. You could make a case that slim just left town."
"Why dump this on him when he’s not able to speak for himself?" Rather said. "When Brian is down, they come from behind him and give him a whack on the back of the neck."

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/brian-williams-leak-nbc-force/2015/04/26/id/640830/

This could be more Comcast mismanagement, but more likely they are treating Williams like **** because it raises morale, because he is not liked at NBC NEWS.

EDIT: For the record Williams is under a gag order from Comcast, if he talks to anyone in the media trying to defend himself himself he gets fired for cause with no severance. Various sources say that someone inside Comcast is leaking stuff to make him look bad.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 14 May, 2015 06:20 am
Bill O'Reilly finally addresses JFK questions

Bill O'Reilly finally addressed the dispute over an account he's told about investigating the John F. Kennedy assassination, hours after yet another journalist called the Fox News host's story into question.

On Monday afternoon, Newsweek published an article by Edward J. Epstein, a Lee Harvey Oswald biographer who, like O'Reilly, covered the JFK probe in the 1970s.

In his 2012 book "Killing Kennedy" and on Fox News, O'Reilly has said he was at the scene in 1977 when George de Mohrenschildt, a friend of Oswald's, committed suicide in Florida. O'Reilly has said that he even heard the gunshot that led to de Mohrenschildt's death.

Epstein called O'Reilly's account "impossible."

"How do I know?" Epstein wrote. "I was the actual -- and only -- reporter interviewing de Mohrenschildt on the last day of his life in 1977."

Rebuttal from O'Reilly's side: Not long after Epstein's piece was published on Monday, Henry Holt and Company, the imprint that published O'Reilly's book on the JFK assassination, posted a statement from a former colleague who backed O'Reilly.

The colleague, Bob Sirkin, worked with O'Reilly at a Dallas TV station more than 30 years ago. He said the two reporters tracked down de Mohrenschildt in Florida.

In his statement for Holt, Sirkin said he and O'Reilly arrived in West Palm Beach, Florida, early on March 29, 1977 -- the day de Mohrenschildt committed suicide.

Sirkin claimed that he and O'Reilly actually crossed paths with Epstein and de Mohrenschildt at a hotel on the morning of the suicide.

"That is where George de Mohrenschildt was being interviewed by Edward J. Epstein in an upstairs suite," Sirkin said. "So with our camera rolling, we knocked on Epstein's door. When Epstein opens the door, we clearly see de Mohrenschildt sitting in the background at a dining room table."

Following that encounter, Sirkin said he and O'Reilly parted ways, with the latter heading to Manalapan, Florida, the site of de Mohrenschildt's suicide.

Sirkin said he and O'Reilly later reconnected at the Manalapan residence where de Mohrenschildt killed himself.

"It remains preposterous for anyone to claim that O'Reilly and I were not in Florida before, during, and following de Mohrenschildt's death," Sirkin said.

Related: The O'Reilly controversies: Where they stand

O'Reilly speaks out: On Monday evening, O'Reilly briefly addressed the matter on his top-rated show "The O'Reilly Factor." He urged viewers to read Sirkin's statement.

"The far left attacks on my reporting continue," he said. "There's nothing I can do about it."

For much of the last month, O'Reilly has faced questions over claims he's made about his past reporting exploits.

When doubts were raised about O'Reilly's JFK story last month, Henry Holt defended his "terrific book" and said "we have no plans to look into this matter."

Sirkin acknowledged in his statement that O'Reilly learned of de Mohrenschildt's whereabouts from the late congressional investigator Gaeton Fonzi.

Holt statement makes no mention of tapes: But absent from Sirkin's statement was any mention of the phone calls between O'Reilly and Fonzi on the day of the suicide.

The phone calls were first reported in 2013 by Jefferson Morley, a veteran journalist who runs a site devoted to the JFK assassination. Recordings of the calls have been preserved by Fonzi's widow, who has long insisted that O'Reilly did not arrive in Florida until after the suicide.

CNN recently obtained its own copy of the recordings, which have cast doubt on O'Reilly's account.

In the recordings, O'Reilly can be heard saying that he intended to fly to Florida that night or the following morning. At one point, Fonzi explained to O'Reilly where the suicide had taken place.

The name of Epstein, the journalist who interviewed de Mohrenschildt, came up frequently throughout O'Reilly's phone conversation with Fonzi. O'Reilly told Fonzi that the rumor of the suicide had originated with Epstein.

After the suicide had been confirmed, O'Reilly said he was determined to reach Epstein.

"Now we gotta get this guy Epstein," O'Reilly told Fonzi. "I'm coming down there tomorrow. I'm coming to Florida. We gotta get this guy. He knows what happened."

Sirkin told CNNMoney on Tuesday that the phone recordings have left him perplexed.

"I can't explain it. I'm befuddled by it," he said of the recordings. "The only thing I can think of is that the call that's being referenced here was made from Florida because it is implausible, impossible that Bill O'Reilly and I were not in Florida. We left for Florida on [March] 28th, and arrived on the morning of the 29th."

0 Replies