Brian Williams - why lie?

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2015 12:22 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Williams did wrong...serious wrong.

it was finger waving wrong, it was mock him when you introduce him on stage wrong, it should not be a firing offense.

We see what the hounds who are on his tail find, but I expect it to be enough to get him fired. Whether I will agree or not we shall see.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2015 12:26 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
Williams did wrong...serious wrong.

it was finger waving wrong, it was mock him when you introduce him on stage wrong, it should not be a firing offense.

We see what the hounds who are on his tail find, but I expect it to be enough to get him fired. Whether I will agree or not we shall see.

I'm afraid you are correct here, Hawk.

In my opinion, he was wrong...got caught...fessed up that he was wrong...and should be able to move on. My guess is he will never do something like that again.

But there are many who will demand blood...and he may well end up fired and unable to get a decent job again. Human nature in action.

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2015 12:27 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I suspect it as more to do with the big target on his back. He's still got top ratings of all the evening news broadcasts.

He has done some odd things on air of late though, so it makes me wonder what is going on. Just recently, they spent a good portion of air time on why he wasn't anchoring that night due to his daughter's debut on stage as Peter Pan and then showed about 5 minutes of her in dress rehearsal.

It wasn't proper for the evening news broadcast, would have been more fitting for his Rock Center show.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2015 12:41 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

I suspect it as more to do with the big target on his back. He's still got top ratings of all the evening news broadcasts.

He has done some odd things on air of late though, so it makes me wonder what is going on. Just recently, they spent a good portion of air time on why he wasn't anchoring that night due to his daughter's debut on stage as Peter Pan and then showed about 5 minutes of her in dress rehearsal.

It wasn't proper for the evening news broadcast, would have been more fitting for his Rock Center show.

I know what you mean, Butrflynet. These people are way too into themselves. But I guess you never make it in the entertainment (or political) business without immense self-esteem.

As someone mentioned...he probably is toast. Hope he was wise with savings and investments with all the dough he's been making until now. I'd say his loss of credibility is fatal...but we've had too many people rise from the grave, so to speak, to think that way.

For me...good luck to him. I hope he has learned his lesson.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2015 12:45 pm
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
Just recently, they spent a good portion of air time on why he wasn't anchoring that night due to his daughter's debut on stage as Peter Pan and then showed about 5 minutes of her in dress rehearsal.
He does not dictate content. This is all about NBC working to humanize the person they put at the front counter of the news section, trying to get us to like him more. Now they will fire him for being too human.

You are right of course about the target on his back because of making as much money as he does and leading the ratings (though actually all network news organizations are on a race to the bottom, for their nightly news and for everything else they do as the viewers go elsewhere or stop consuming news altogether).
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2015 01:37 pm
@hawkeye10,
He isn't just the anchor, he is also the managing editor of the Nightly News show.

He has a big part in deciding what goes into the broadcast.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2015 01:57 pm
@Butrflynet,
Right, but as I understand it Dan Rather was the last of the anchors who had the power to dictate content. Now it is done by committee, with some votes being more important than others.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2015 04:05 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Thompson says Williams’ predecessor Tom Brokaw could jump back in the saddle if NBC mimics the way CBS handled Dan Rather’s stepping down.

Not likely, as Brokaw has been saying that Willaims has to go. NYT's is reporting that Williams is on a paid leave of absence BTW.

For me this NBC problem is so far much less important than the mess that CBS has at 60 Minutes, which was caught practicing tabloid journalism. We shall see what comes up in the review of Williams's work.

Quote:
The executive is Jeff Fager, who was one of the subjects of Joe Hagan’s recent profile of “60 Minutes” correspondent Lara Logan. I’ve been thinking about that, ever since the news broke that Logan would return to the show. Seems to me that, while it is certainly problematic that a reporter as consistently error-prone as Logan has been given another chance — she really should’ve been fired — she’s the secondary problem for “60 Minutes.” The big one is her boss, Fager, who has enabled her and, more generally, systematically destroyed a once-great program.

For some reason — I can guess! (#NotAllExecutives) — Fager has not come in for much criticism, which is weird, because, as he wrote last year, “As executive producer, I am responsible for what gets on the air.” Well, OK! Within the last year, he’s treated viewers to some real bushwa:

A grossly inaccurate segment on the green technology sector, which, as Huffington Post put it, “conflated the Silicon Valley clean tech venture capital scene with the Department of Energy’s loan guarantee program for renewable energy.” The program portrayed green tech as a failure, which was rather at odds with reports of “the solar power craze that is sweeping Wall Street.” (As Joe Romm noted, Lesley Stahl had clearly made up her mind about the state of the industry, before she’d even talked to experts.)
A segment on the NSA that is, at best, a puff piece. The host, John Miller, said the NSA “agreed to speak to “60 Minutes” because it believes it has ‘not told its story well.’” It was not, and should not, have been Miller’s responsibility to oblige them, but that’s what happened. (A comparison to Mike Wallace and Big Tobacco — another leviathan — is not flattering.) There were, noted Jack Mirkinson, “no anti-NSA advocates or civil libertarians interviewed on-camera for the piece.” (Miller has since joined the NYPD, which is not a thing reporters who take the craft seriously tend to do.)
A credulous segment on Jeff Bezos and Amazon’s drone service — years away from being a reality — with giggly Charlie Rose. Bezos’ plan is, reported the Washington Post, “nothing more than a gimmick at this point due to the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) process for approving civilian drones in the national airspace.” In other words, it’s also illegal. As Gawker’s J.K. Trotter put it, “Amazon could not have asked for a better advertisement.”
This is an extraordinarily terrible record to compile in a single year. And all of it, according to his own job description, ought to be laid at the feet of Fager. Wouldn’t it be in CBS’s best interest to cut him loose?

http://www.salon.com/2014/06/09/cbs_news_huge_fatal_disaster_why_heads_need_to_roll_at_the_highest_levels/

Some might remember that Logan is the one who told tear jerk stories of being raped in Cairo after not following proper safety procedures. She is also well known to flirt with the troops as she uses her sexuality to get access to stories. A good journalist she is not. She was given 6 months off paid, and came back to 60 minutes but has done very little in the 6 months she has been back. She went to Liberia to do an ebola piece and did not talk to a single liberian, which is par for the course with her historically shoddy work.

ABC/NBC/CBS are all a shadow of what they used to be.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2015 04:36 pm
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/08/business/brian-williams-to-take-leave-from-nbc-nightly-news.html?_r=0

Quote:
Brian Williams said on Saturday that he was stepping aside from the daily broadcast of NBC’s “Nightly News” for the next several days, after admitting that he had misled the public about being on a helicopter that was forced down in Iraq.

In a memo to the NBC News staff, Mr. Williams said that Lester Holt, the anchor for “Dateline,” would step in as the network dealt with the issue.

“In the midst of a career spent covering and consuming news, it has become painfully apparent to me that I am presently too much a part of the news, due to my actions,” Mr. Williams said in the two-paragraph memo.

Mr. Williams is both anchor and managing editor for “NBC Nightly News.”

Mr. Williams did not say exactly when he expected to return to the anchor chair. “Upon my return, I will continue my career-long effort to be worthy of the trust of those who place their trust in us,” he said.

Quote:
Should Mr. Williams be forced out of the anchor chair, it would be a major setback for NBC’s news division, which is in a fierce competition for viewers. So far this season, NBC has averaged 9.3 million total viewers for its nightly broadcast, compared with 8.7 million for ABC and 7.3 million for CBS, according to Nielsen.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2015 04:40 pm
Very interesting backstory here:

Quote:
The decline and fall of NBC News

Dylan Byers is a media reporter at POLITICO and the author of the On Media blog. He was previously a media and tech reporter at Adweek, and has served as a research assistant to Philip Gourevitch, George Packer, and Jane Kramer. He graduated from Bard College in 2008

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2015/02/the-decline-and-fall-of-nbc-news-202239.html
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2015 04:43 pm
@Butrflynet,
The brass at NBC has not publicly supported Williams at all to date. That is the equivalent of failing a vote of confidence.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2015 04:54 pm
Brokaw has denied claims that he called for Williams to go

Quote:
That question, and that "Tom" -- Tom Brokaw, who turned 75 Friday — unintentionally became a part of the Brian Williams drama earlier in the day following a New York Post story that insisted he had demanded the firing of his successor at "Nightly News," Brian Williams.

Brokaw has been conspicuously silent, at least publicly, on the subject of Williams, although he did release a brief rebuttal in an email to the Huffington Post which read: "I have neither demanded nor suggested Brian be fired. His future is up to Brian and NBC News executives."

http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/tv/tom-brokaw-and-the-brian-williams-mess-what-does-tom-want-1.9913069

Which would leave him open to be a temp replacement.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2015 05:31 pm
@hawkeye10,

The true story seems to be that his copter took no fire at all. No copters flying with his copter took fire. The one fired upon was traveling far ahead.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2015 05:45 pm
@hawkeye10,
Thanks for that link.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2015 05:51 pm
@ossobuco,
happy to be of service.

Full disclosure: NBC.com is one of the top ten places I go for news lately. I hate the redesigned CNN.com and use NBC instead for a first look at what is going on in any given day.

I have not watched a nightly broadcast on any network for at least 5 years.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2015 06:04 pm
@hawkeye10,
I don't even have a tv.
I look at Politico, but not every day.
I look at RealClearPolitics even less, but keep meaning to read more and see what I think.

I've a friend who was an anchor for both NBC and CBS some time ago and knew Brokaw et al. I don't want to bother her with my curiosity by email.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2015 06:37 pm
Quote:
During an event at The Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation on Feb. 8, 2008, an audience member asked Williams to name the highlights of his career.

Quote:
“I was the first person to walk into the hotel room of Nelson Mandela the morning he woke up and learned he’d been elected president,” said Williams.

That moment was marked with historical significance. Mandela was the first black person to be elected president in post-apartheid South Africa. The election was held April 27, 1994.

But Williams told that story a different way during an NBC News broadcast on Dec. 5, 2013, the day Mandela died.

Quote:
“We now want to take you back almost 20 years to an April morning in 1994 in a hotel suite in Johannesburg. Nelson Mandela had been elected president the night before — I had the honor of being the first Western journalist that day to shake his hand and sit down and talk with him,” said Williams.

Besides the obvious change from stating in 2008 that he was the first person to see Mandela to, by 2013, saying he was the first Western journalist to see the leader, Williams embellished his story in another way.

Mandela did not wake up the morning after the election to learn that he had been elected president. He knew the night of the election that he had won.

A CBS News retrospective called the election “a landslide” in Mandela’s favor. Mandela’s party, the African National Congress, won the election with nearly 63 percent of the vote.

He also gave a speech to supporters the night of the election:

Quote:
This is indeed a joyous night. Although not yet final, we have received the provisional results of the election. My friends, I can tell you that we are delighted by the overwhelming support for the African National Congress. Within the last few hours, I have received telephone calls from State President de Klerk, General Constand Viljoen, Dr Zac de Beer and Mr Johnson Mlambo, the first Deputy President of the PAC, who pledged their full co-operation and offered their sincere congratulations. I thanked them all for their support and look forward to working together for our beloved country.

Williams’ tweak on the story is part of what appears to be an emerging pattern of embellishment, if not outright lying

http://dailycaller.com/2015/02/07/brian-williams-told-two-different-stories-about-his-1994-interview-with-nelson-mandela-video/

I think they are going to find dozens of embellished stories, this guy loves to talk and tell stories. My grandpa would tell stories for hours, I often got the impression that telling a good story was more important than telling a 100% factually true story. I think we have always known that news anchors are both journalists and story tellers, gotta figure that they all smudge the truth a bit here and there. And lets remember what the makers of Selma did, they pretty much had no interest in what the truth was, telling a good story the promotes the story tellers political beliefs was the all of it. If there is any outrage about Selma I have missed it.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2015 06:54 pm
@hawkeye10,
That said we now have three probable cases where Williams fabricated forrest gump stories that have him front and center to history being made where he was not, at least not to the degree claimed

1) Iraq copter downing

2) Katrina suicide and crime

3) Mandela

If there is a pattern of this then he is done. It will come off as self promoting, which is not considered a good reason to lie. Likely he was trying to give his audience what they wanted ala Robin Williams, that all this means is that he is a pleaser, but it will not matter.

firefly

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2015 07:47 pm
@Butrflynet,
Quote:

I didn't find that improper for the evening news broadcast. NBC was hyping that live broadcast of Peter Pan because they wanted to attract as many viewers as possible for it--it was on NBC--and they had a natural tie-in on the nightly news because Brian Williams daughter was in the title role.

I watch Brian Williams every night on the nightly news, and his untruths about that situation in Iraq 11 or 12 years ago don't affect my intention to continue doing that, if he remains as anchor. If he doesn't remain, I'll likely watch whoever replaces him, I just prefer to watch my local and nightly evening news on NBC, I like the broadcasters, and it's also force of habit.

I watch the network news shows mostly to just catch up on local and national and world headline news, I find most network TV news rather superficial in coverage. Throughout the day and evening I also check out cable news just to see what's going on. But I also read the NY Times and a local newspaper for more in-depth coverage, and, when something really interests me, I hit Google and check out as many sources as possible.

So, I've never put absolute faith in just one news source. And I'm just not that bothered by Brian Williams altering an essentially personal experience to make it appear more "dangerous" than it was. I don't think he should get fired over something like this.

ossobuco

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2015 08:10 pm
I don't quite care.
I was around, a kid, during the earlier years of tv news; we got our tv in 1949. This guy was the newscaster - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Edwards

Not that I understood what I saw. I was later a fan of a variety of newscasters but I don't remember ever assuming they were right (a behavior I got from my father).

The couple of people I knew that did that, the news, were in real life quite straightforward, discerning, questioning, able to backtrack.. I doubt either of them plumped stuff up on purpose. Who knows? but I'm sure those two didn't, just not their way. This was somewhat before all the news as entertainment mode.
0 Replies