Brian Williams - why lie?

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 09:43 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

He's got nothing.

How many pages back would I have to go to find you speaking on topic? You pretty much lose all credibility complaining about what A2K has become when you act like this.

Grow up.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 09:45 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Re: ehBeth (Post 5888646)
That line does not work on someone who gets proven right as often as I do, year after year.

You're still dreaming, awake or not.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 09:47 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Re: izzythepush (Post 5888774)
He's got nothing.

He's only sleeping!

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 09:50 pm
@hawkeye10,
after what you said about Andy, I decided I don't care to even pretend to be polite to you

you're the one that's been whining about A2k pretty much since you arrived so don't even try that line of bullshit
izzythepush

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2015 03:34 am
@ehBeth,
He has got nothing, my memory is not so shot. I can't remember Hawkeye being right about anything significant. I do remember him being disastrously wrong about the Tottenham riots, and saying that Kim Jong Un was in Switzerland while he's been in NK all along.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2015 03:48 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

after what you said about Andy, I decided I don't care to even pretend to be polite to you

You have been at least off and on bitchy towards me for a long time, so dont pretend that this has anything to do with Andrew.

If you want A2K to be better then act better, be a good example. Do A2K a favor and either speak about Williams/NBC/journalism or find something else to do with your time.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2015 03:59 am
@hawkeye10,
You don't speak for A2K, just its sad, pathetic and fuckwitted denizens.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2015 09:03 am
@hawkeye10,
Where's your civility now, Spartacus? "Bitchy"? Reaalllly?
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 08:12 am
It's the Little Lies That Torpedo the News Stars - As Brian Williams Has Found to His Cost Last Week

Embellishment and bravado are often punished more harshly than the untruths that cause wars

BY PATRICK COCKBURN

The exposure of fake or exaggerated tales of journalistic derring-do by Brian Williams, the anchor of NBC Nightly News now suspended without pay, will ignite a small glow of satisfaction in the breasts of many foreign correspondents. The arrival of anchors, editors or “celebrity” correspondents in the middle of a crisis, war, or at any other time, has always been the bane of reporters on the ground. I remember a friend on Time magazine, in the days when it was a power in the land 40 years ago, vainly trying to explain to his bosses why he was having difficulty arranging their fact-finding tour of Kuwait in the middle of Ramadan.

Williams’s credibility first began to disintegrate when he was challenged on his claim that he had been in a Chinook helicopter that was hit by a rocket-propelled grenade in the Iraq War of 2003. In fact, the missile hit a Chinook flying half an hour ahead of his own. But he wasn’t the only journalist to be carried away by the idea that his life was in imminent danger at that time. I was then in Irbil, the Kurdish capital, and used to enjoy visiting a hotel called, so far as I recall, the Irbil Tower. Fox News was based on an upper floor of the hotel, the entrance to which, opposite the lift, was protected by a sandbag emplacement though not a shot was fired in Irbil during the conflict. In fact, the Fox team really was in some danger – a nervous receptionist at the front desk told me – because the weight of the sandbags was such that it might lead to the collapse of the shoddily built hotel.

Journalists very seldom lie about their war exploits, because, among other reasons, they are likely to be exposed by their colleagues. Usually, there is no reason to lie because almost any story can be given an appearance of truthfulness by judicious selection of the facts. My father, Claud Cockburn, an author and journalist, got into trouble for attacking what he called “the heresy of the facts”, making the point that there are not a finite number of facts lying around like nuggets of gold ore in the Yukon until they are picked up by some journalistic prospector. He argued that, on the contrary, there are an infinite number of facts and it is the judgement of the journalist that decides which are significant or insignificant. He explained that, in a sense, all stories are written backwards, beginning with the writer’s “take” on what matters and only then proceeding to a search for facts that he or she judges to be important. All this seemed to my father to be a matter of common sense, and he was taken aback to be criticised for confusing decent truth-loving reporters with black-hearted propagandists who make up stories.

Of course, some stories are faked, such as the one in 1990 about babies in a Kuwait hospital being tipped out of incubators by invading Iraqi soldiers and left to die on the floor. But a good propagandist or even a journalist looking for a good story does not have to fabricate; a selective approach to the facts is all that is needed. I remember going to Libya in the early 1990s when there was some prospect of a US invasion. Absolutely nothing was happening and the scores of journalists who had arrived on the same mission as myself waited impatiently until they could go home.

Full article: http://www.unz.com/pcockburn/its-the-little-lies-that-torpedo-the-news-stars-as-brian-williams-has-found-to-his-cost-last-week/
Tweet
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2015 07:36 am
Bill O'Reilly Has His Own Brian Williams Problem

Source: Mother Jones

After NBC News suspended anchor Brian Williams for erroneously claiming that he was nearly shot down in a helicopter while covering the US invasion of Iraq in 2003, Fox News host Bill O'Reilly went on a tear. On his television show, the top-rated cable news anchor declared that the American press isn't "half as responsible as the men who forged the nation." He bemoaned the supposed culture of deception within the liberal media, and he proclaimed that the Williams controversy should prompt questioning of other "distortions" by left-leaning outlets. Yet for years, O'Reilly has recounted dramatic stories about his own war reporting that don't withstand scrutiny—even claiming he acted heroically in a war zone that he apparently never set foot in.

O'Reilly has repeatedly told his audience that he was a war correspondent during the Falklands war and that he experienced combat during that 1982 conflict between England and Argentina. He has often invoked this experience to emphasize that he understands war as only someone who has witnessed it could. As he once put it, "I've been there. That's really what separates me from most of these other bloviators. I bloviate, but I bloviate about stuff I've seen. They bloviate about stuff that they haven't."

Fox News and O'Reilly did not respond to multiple requests for comment.

Read more: http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/02/bill-oreilly-brian-williams-falklands-war

NBC holds their flagship host accountable, but FOX will let Bill O'Reilly, of imaginary multiple Peabody awards fame, continue to lie and embellish his career with no consequence
djjd62

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2015 02:33 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
the difference being, BW at least seemed to be a journalist, certainly nothing you could ever accuse B O'R of being
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 01:07 am
Quote:
A new poll commissioned by the Media Research Center reveals that the tales Brian Williams told – which led to his eventual suspension without pay – have severely undermined his credibility with the American people. In a survey of 1,007 respondents: -- 66.1 percent said Brian Williams should have been fired after he was caught in numerous lies. Williams famously lied about being in a helicopter that was shot down over Iraq and seeing a dead body float by his New Orleans hotel during Hurricane Katrina. -- An overwhelming 71.6 percent of respondents said that despite the anchorman's apology and suspension, he should still resign. -- In the same poll, 61.6 percent said they are less likely to trust NBC News if Brian Williams is allowed to return as anchor of NBC Nightly News. - See more at: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tim-graham/2015/02/20/media-research-center-poll-66-percent-say-brian-williams-should-have#sthash.vOW7tGzh.dpuf

TOAST
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 05:48 am
@djjd62,
You never heard me accuse Bill O'Reilly of being a journalist! I'd just like to see him off the air and six months for puffing his resumes is at least a modest start.
djjd62

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 06:36 am
@bobsal u1553115,
i wasn't specifically addressing your thoughts in the comment, i was stating my opinion on the difference between the two folks

i tend to view the world in a very Animal Farm sort of way, extrapolating the idea that "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others", to fit any situation i encounter, applied to folks on the News, i assume that all the news folks are liars (BW), it's just that some are bigger liars (B O'R) than others
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 08:21 am
@djjd62,
And I was agreeing and amplifying.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 08:40 am
@djjd62,
Respectfully, my experience indicates that just about all humans tend to magnify their accomplishments...and minimize (or exorcise) the things they've done wrong.

That kind of embellishment and alteration could be considered lying.

Said another way: Be careful of the contempt you show for someone else's lie...unless, of course, you have never magnified or minimized anything yourself.
Ragman

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 08:44 am
@Frank Apisa,
What seems to be put aside here is that his job's function is to engender trust and is to tell the people the truth. He failed both ethically and functionally. Whereas my job (when I was working) didn't rely on that.

However, I was ethical at every step of the way. Furthermore your assumption is wrong. I never exaggerated my accomplishments. I don't know if you're projecting here.

He deserves time out. Bring him back as a comedy show or game show host. That suits his current stature.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 09:00 am
http://www.newscorpse.com/Pix/FoxNews/foxnews-oreilly-combat.jpg

http://www.truthdig.com/images/made/images/cartoonuploads/428F4FDD-FA18-4A58-B53D-43A36D882837_590_447.jpg

http://40.media.tumblr.com/5dcbd32858dac3eba7ee8a9406b2d174/tumblr_nk5838ddo31r1vqpco1_1280.jpg

http://fair.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/OReillyCrusades.jpg

http://38.media.tumblr.com/7495992a926a8be92d69307e04acc1b2/tumblr_nk4pynFSSO1r55d2io1_500.gif
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 09:48 am
@Ragman,
My comment was:

Quote:
Respectfully, my experience indicates that just about all humans tend to magnify their accomplishments...and minimize (or exorcise) the things they've done wrong.

That kind of embellishment and alteration could be considered lying.

Said another way: Be careful of the contempt you show for someone else's lie...unless, of course, you have never magnified or minimized anything yourself.

Apparently it doesn't apply to you since you never have magnified your accomplishments or minimized things you've done wrong.

We are on the same page then, Ragman.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 02:56 pm
@Frank Apisa,
if anything i tend to minimize my accomplishments (and they are few) and completely ignore my wrongs (and they are many)

if either of those approaches broaches the realm of lying or avoidance, then i encourage folks to belittle or deride as they see fit

i try my best to live my life by three little words, water, ducks back
0 Replies