Brian Williams - why lie?

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2015 08:57 pm
Quote:
The guy who saw this moment coming with astonishing clarity was Neil Postman. In 1985, Postman, a disciple of the media theorist Marshall McLuhan, published a remarkable book called “Amusing Ourselves to Death.” If you haven’t read it (and most people haven’t), you should.

Postman’s central thesis was that whatever media technology dominates a moment determines the way in which we relay and receive information. And since television, as the dominant medium of the late 20th century, was all about storytelling and visual delight, increasingly we could pay attention to information only if it came with appealing characters and riveting story arcs.

Here’s what Postman had to say about the evening anchor’s common refrain to “join us tomorrow” for another show: “We accept the newscasters’ invitation because we know that the ‘news’ is not to be taken seriously, that it is all in fun, so to say. Everything about a news show tells us this — the good looks and amiability of the cast, their pleasant banter, the exciting music that opens and closes the show, the vivid film footage, the attractive commercials…”

http://news.yahoo.com/the-always-amusing-brian-williams-225321107.html
Great book, and as we know local news became purely entertainment 20 years ago. National network TV news took a little longer to move from a journalistic endeavour to an entertainment one. To a great degree what happened to Williams is that he rolled with the times and with what the MEGACORP he works for wanted, away from journalism, but since the company is not willing to admit the game that it is playing they chopped him off at the knees when it became too obvious that he was not doing journalism and a stink ensued. The whole thing reeks of dishonesty, and also of the broad failure of American journalism. The idiocy of the American people as well: "whaddya mean NBCNEWS is not all about journalism! NEWS is in the name!"
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2015 06:31 am
@hawkeye10,
By now...anyone who does not realize that most of what a media member does is to increase viewership and readership (read that profit, if you want)...is just naive, Hawk.

The mighty dollar is the focus of damn near everything in our society.

We've got to get past this dynamic...and not just for the sake of improving our news coverage.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2015 07:37 am
some have suggested that BW could set all this right by offering to go up in a helicopter and have someone shoot an RPG at it

i think this would make great television
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2015 11:31 am

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/02/12/another-tall-tale-from-brian-williams-seal-team-six-claim-disputed/
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2015 12:01 pm
Somewhere I noted that there is a claim that at an event williams said that he, not brokaw, was at the fall of the Berlin wall. Brokaw was there, williams was there the day after. This if true is disturbing, and calls into doubt my analysis that these lies were not ego driven.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2015 12:44 pm
@hawkeye10,
Who died as a result of this crap? It isn't as if he snuck up in the night and knifed a baby in its crib.

Can you imagine? Every time he's out in public - how he's going to cringe every time he hears any sort of titter? He goes on vacation at the Grand Canyon and has his grand-daughter ask Pop-Pop why he doesn't want to take the helicopter tour of the park.

In relation to the "crime" I think thats a fit punishment. I think a year without working and further conflation caused embarrassments and furthering apologies are more than enough punishment.

Like in the NBA - no harm, no foul.

Making a fool of oneself the correct sentence.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2015 12:49 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Somewhere I noted that there is a claim that at an event williams said that he, not brokaw, was at the fall of the Berlin wall. Brokaw was there, williams was there the day after. This if true is disturbing, and calls into doubt my analysis that these lies were not ego driven.

Why would you, or anyone, think that these lies or distortions were NOT "ego driven?"
bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2015 12:56 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Gotta agree with you Frank. It was ego driven and all lies are ego driven.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2015 01:05 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

Gotta agree with you Frank. It was ego driven and all lies are ego driven.

Certainly all lies of this kind are.

For me...this was always an ego driven thing on the part of Williams. Self-aggrandizement...the bane of humanity.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2015 03:42 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

hawkeye10 wrote:

Why would you, or anyone, think that these lies or distortions were NOT "ego driven?"

already explained; he was making the news accessible which is normally considered good work, he was participating in celeb culture in order to stay help his work to be relevant, he was not driving his storytelling his audience was expecting it and he is a pleaser, and he was creating a personal brand that his bosses wanted to be significant so that he could put it to work to boost the NBC brand.

I still dont believe that this was about ego, but if he told this lie about Brokaw that was a piece of evidence that goes the other way.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2015 07:14 pm
@hawkeye10,
Follow the link for sound analysis for what part MEGACORP plaid in the undoing of Williams.
djjd62

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2015 07:54 pm
something else i don't get, NBC seems to be getting rid of BW, but MSNBC has no problem with the lying sack of **** that is Rev. Al
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2015 08:33 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Follow the link for sound analysis for what part MEGACORP played in the undoing of Williams.

wow, I forgot the link

http://www.npr.org/2015/02/12/385793965/brian-williams-case-raises-fundamental-questions-about-an-anchors-role
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2015 10:48 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Clearly Brian Williams and I play very different roles. He is a famous broadcaster who moonlights on SNL and slow-jams the news. I’m a storyteller and monologist who works in the theater. But I recognize that in many ways what Brian Williams has done is the same thing I did: adding the first person, inserting yourself into stories in order to heighten and intensify their telling. This is dramatization, and it’s an integral component in great storytelling. Where it becomes a problem all depends what kind of narrative authority the storyteller wants to claim.

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/culturebox/2015/02/mike_daisey_s_advice_for_brian_williams_the_monologist_tells_the_nbc_news.html

That is what I think Brian Williams did, and I dont think it had anything to do with lifting his ego up or trying to push others down.

Quote:
Right now Brian Williams is receiving the scorn and contempt of the world at large, which, I can tell you, feels like thousands of bloodthirsty strangers cutting you with tiny invisible knives. I know it has to hurt. I remember clearly how tempting it was to hide. I didn’t, and from the other side of it, all I can say is that it is one of the first good decisions I made.

So I am going to add to the counsel he’s getting from many corners, since I have the distinct advantage of having stood in a similar fire.

First and foremost, apologize. Fully and directly.

In my experience, audiences are pragmatic and wiser than performers will ever be. People are angry at Williams in part because his explanation of how his story came to pass is ridiculous. “Misremembered”? Come on, man. People want to be treated with respect—they don’t buy that the life-threatening episode event he described was a product of mistaken remembering.

yep, the cover up is the main problem here, both Williams and Comcasts. Both parties need to get it though their thick heads that speaking truth matters in journalism.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2015 11:02 am
@djjd62,
One reads the news and the other is a personality.
djjd62

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2015 02:15 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
they're both personalities who read a Teleprompter, nothing more, nothing less

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2015 03:08 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

they're both personalities who read a Teleprompter, nothing more, nothing less

You take hostility towards the elite to the insane, and look foolish doing it. Reading a teleprompter is maybe 5% of what Brian Williams did.
djjd62

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2015 03:21 pm
@hawkeye10,
no hostility, it's my opinion

i never watched BW, i rarely watch any sort of national news, and only pay attention to any local news for weather

i have things going on in my life, i care little about what's happening down the street or around the world

but if i can mock a person for something, i'm all in, and would expect nothing less from others if i were in that persons position
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2015 03:26 pm
@djjd62,
Speaking an outrageous lie about someone does not equal mocking.

Do onto others as you would have them do onto you.
djjd62

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2015 03:29 pm
@hawkeye10,
what lie, he reads the news, being managing editor of said news only makes matters worse if he is in fact the dope he appears to be, he should be happy nobody mentions it
0 Replies