Brian Williams - why lie?

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2015 10:58 pm
@oralloy,
Like it is not her fault that people sat 2 feet in front of her and lied their asses off, though she would have known if she had done minimal fact checking. In both cases she refused to save herself, so I lack sympathy for how her life has slipped in quality.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2015 11:09 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
It would be difficult to overstate the damage Williams' loss does to the NBC News brand. He was much more than the host of the network's nightly newscast, which is a terribly small sliver of the NBC/Comcast pie anyway. He was the face of NBC News and, to some degree, NBCUniversal. In that regard, it doesn't matter whether he is replaced at 6:30 p.m. by Lester Holt, Matt Lauer, Savannah Guthrie or someone else entirely. What NBC lost with Williams was its chief public figure. Many Americans no longer trust Brian Williams, which means that a significant amount of Americans will no longer trust NBC News.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2015/02/a-dark-hour-for-television-202435.html

I have not a lick of sympathy. As I have shown in earlier pages the Bosses of NBC brought this upon themselves, over many years of decision making. of neglect of journalism mostly because it does not drive profits so to them is pretty useless.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2015 11:16 pm
@hawkeye10,
Are we as a nation ready to look into the question of whether having MEGACORP own media outlets were journalism is supposed to be going on is a good idea or not?

I doubt it.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2015 03:23 pm
Quote:
Anchor’s Away: Brian Williams’s Biggest Sin Was Making Himself the Story

http://www.newsweek.com/anchors-away-brian-williams-biggest-sin-was-making-himself-story-306079

Nope, this assumes that he was trying to make himself the hero of his stories, which is clearly not what he was doing. He was putting himself where the story happened so that he could tell the story in the first person, because this makes the story better. Williams was giving his audience the entertainment that he though (almost certainly correctly) was what they wanted from him.

Quote:
The news media, and the nation at large, has a huge disconnect from the military. Whether its guilt about having not put on a uniform or having done such a piss poor job of reporting on the build-up to the Iraq war, a lot of national news people seem hypnotized by camouflage. Williams acted awestruck by some of the “brave men and women of our armed forces” (as they must be called by TV convention) and he crossed the line when he recalled being in danger when he wasn’t.

The American people put the military on a pedestal (this in spite of a repeated failure to win the wars that it is in), Brian Williams was telling the stories that the people want to hear, and he told the stories in the way that we want to hear them (in the first person, and emotionally driven). Brian Williams became an entertainer as he claimed to be a journalist, this is the disconnect that ended up exploding his career.
engineer

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2015 05:28 pm
@hawkeye10,
There was a nice NPR story about Brokaw's growing concern about Williams's stories over the last few years.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2015 05:37 pm
@engineer,
I saw that, engineer.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2015 06:04 pm
@engineer,
I dont find it but I imagine anchors are like presidents, once they are out of the chair they try very hard to not be critical of how the next guys do their job.

About 4-5 years ago there was a lot of talk in America about storytelling, there still is but that is when I first noticed it...stuff like this:

Quote:
Recent psychological research revealed how people want to inhabit storyworlds because of how stories work in the brain. We actually always project ourselves into all sorts of storyworlds (books, films and beyond) in order to understand them. So it follows that the greater the ability of an audience to project into a world, the greater their understanding and attachment to it.

http://www.theguardian.com/culture-professionals-network/2014/nov/17/-sp-storytelling-digital-film-4

The thing that gets totally not understood about williams is that his storytelling was not about ego, it was not about pumping himself up or putting others down, I am almost positive that he thought that he was doing what was asked of him and that it was not at odds with how he viewed his job as a journalist.

He was going with the flow on our new emphasis on storytelling in this culture, and he I bet believed that by sifting his reporting through telling stories he was making the news of the day accessible to this collective that increasingly does not read, does not think much of facts (look at the steep decline in the reputation of science!) and which gets its information visual stories (hollywood, Madison ave,youtube). I am really sure that he thought he was doing good work, that he was helping people to understand the world around us. Look at how long we have sucked up hokey political commercials just for an example, which tend to tell very emotionalized stories that have very little connection to reality. We love that ****, the politicians dont get hardly any pushback on that. And it works. So if he could take what he is seeing and report it back in a more personal and emotional way than journalists have tended to work where was the harm, I am sure he said to himself. So he had to make up a few details so that he could report in the first person, so he had to pump up the emotional content so that people would listen, so what....the ends justify the means. That is what the elite of this collective keep saying, did we not think that they actually mean it?

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2015 07:02 pm
@hawkeye10,
BTW: I bring up the political world because these days the politicians and the journalists pretty much occupy the same space. If the politicians are successfully using a tactic then the journalists will be highly likely to follow, and vice versa.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2015 07:10 pm
@engineer,
I heard that on NPR radio this evening.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2015 08:13 pm
Quote:
“Duncan the wonder horse,” as Brokaw has been affectionately referred to over the years, has always been consulted by both his superiors and his peers. After General Electric purchased NBC, in 1986, the company’s C.E.O. at the time, Jack Welch, relied on Brokaw to serve as a bridge to and from a news division that he considered entitled and wasteful. The NBC president Robert Wright relied on Brokaw’s balanced judgment and deep ties to his news colleagues. Even after he retired as an anchor, a decade ago, Brokaw was often consulted by the two network presidents who succeeded Wright, Jeff Zucker and Burke. Brokaw saw the correspondent David Bloom, who died in 2003, as NBC’s greatest news asset; he thought Williams was a skilled broadcaster but that he was inclined toward self-aggrandizement. Williams wondered: If his predecessor had retired, why was Brokaw still in the studio, opining on election nights and introducing specials on “the greatest generation”?

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/brian-williamss-crash-tom-brokaws-role

That makes Brokaw more responsible for the decline at NBCNEWS than I was aware.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2015 08:27 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
“Brian always feels the need to embellish,” the NBC veteran said. “He has always been known for telling stories dramatically, and he’s known for making any story about him.” But the bluster had always seemed more like a quirk than a time bomb. “It was more people eye-rolling: ‘That’s Brian,’” the NBC veteran said.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/02/tom-brokaw-brian-williams-lies-115012.html#ixzz3RUflC3Xe

Shades of AFLAC hiring Gilbert Gottfried and then claiming to be all shocked and firing Gilbert Gottfried when he is found to be acting like Gilbert Gottfried. Sorry, I have zero sympathy for the people who have run NBCNEWS over the years, they made their choices, now they deal with the results.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2015 09:00 pm
Question: Who occupied the NBC anchor chair as the Bush White House sold the Iraq war?

Nuff said.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2015 09:33 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
I don't know how Brian Williams thought he could get away with it?! What about the cameraman with him? His producer? They could sleep with themselves at night knowing he was telling this lie for over a decade?! I'm disappointed in them too for going along with it.
No 'story' is worth your integrity. Especially in the hard news world...we HAVE to believe you. Will I forgive Brian? I already have. It was announced last night that NBC has suspended him for 6 months. He's been embarrassed and I hope he's learned his lesson. The part that bugged me most about this whole thing was his initial denying of it. The half-assed apology that tried to sugar coat it. No one bought it and look at the situation now. C'mon Brian...we're not that stupid. I'm guessing he'll be back in 6 months and let's hope he's humbled by it all. It's pretty easy to get up on your high horse...but the fall to the ground is gonna hurt.

http://twitchy.com/2015/02/11/leeann-tweeden-i-dont-know-how-brian-williams-thought-he-could-get-away-with-it/

I think I agree, his half assed not true apology causes me to lose a lot of respect for Brian Williams. That was his one chance to tell the truth, to explain why he did it, and instead he denied doing it on purpose, which is not credible.

And ya, NBC was fine with what Brian Williams did, up till the point that it caused them a problem.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2015 09:54 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
By Saturday morning, NBC executives saw that the story was not going away, the people with knowledge of the proceedings said. At the meeting at Mr. Williams’s apartment that morning, Ms. Turness, Ms. Fili-Krushel and other executives decided, among other issues, that Mr. Williams needed to get off the air. He had become too much a part of the news. Lester Holt, the anchor for “Dateline,” could step in.

Mr. Williams felt strongly that he needed to deliver the message. Executives agreed that he deserved that courtesy. He wrote the note, which executives reviewed, before it was sent to NBC News staff members Saturday afternoon. Mr. Holt informed viewers on the newscast that night.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/12/business/media/frantic-efforts-at-nbc-to-curb-rising-damage-caused-by-brian-williams.html?_r=0

Quote:
In the midst of a career spent covering and consuming news, it has become painfully apparent to me that I am presently too much a part of the news, due to my actions.

As Managing Editor of NBC Nightly News, I have decided to take myself off of my daily broadcast for the next several days, and Lester Holt has kindly agreed to sit in for me to allow us to adequately deal with this issue. Upon my return, I will continue my career-long effort to be worthy of the trust of those who place their trust in us

http://www.wsj.com/articles/nbcs-brian-williams-takes-himself-off-the-air-1423347161

Add another lie to the list. Of course it did not sound right at the time. Why would NBC execs let him lie this late into the game?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2015 10:07 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
That was his one chance to tell the truth, to explain why he did it, and instead he denied doing it on purpose, which is not credible.

I think it is possible that he was mistaken. Note engineer's posts back on page one of this thread.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2015 10:18 pm
@oralloy,
Read the NYT's story..

Quote:
The military newspaper Stars and Stripes had just published an article in which Mr. Williams acknowledged that he had exaggerated an account of a helicopter journey in Iraq. Worse, Mr. Williams had written a weak apology, reading it first to the newspaper, then posting it on Facebook. None of his superiors knew about it.

Alarmed, the news operation immediately began scrambling to contain the damage, according to people with knowledge of the events of the last week. A team was quickly assembled to draft a statement that Mr. Williams could read during his “NBC Nightly News” show that evening to address the issue. But the Facebook post boxed them in. The explanations had to match.

It looks like williams did not take this seriously, did not understand it was serious, so he did a drive by apology without talking to anyone. By the time he realized that he needed a real one he was already fucked, because you cant claim something different than what you had just said.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2015 10:19 pm
Quote:

'Nightly News' keeps ratings lead amid Williams scandal
Roger Yu,
USA TODAY
February 11, 2015

NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams beat its competitors last week while the anchor battled accusations of embellishing stories about his reporting, according to new ratings data released Tuesday.

The nightly broadcast, which has been the most popular evening network news show in recent years, averaged 10.2 million viewers for five weeknights last week, edging ABC's World News Tonight by 8% and CBS Evening News by 30%, Nielsen's data show.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2015/02/10/nbc-news-ratings/23168645/
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2015 11:28 pm
One thing that occurs to me is that Brian Williams had to put himself at the scene of what he thought was going on and reporting in the first person because his overt emotional involvement would come off as stilted if he did not. He could not realistically be that emotionally involved unless he was there and was affected by it. And he wanted that emotion there, because increasingly we are an emotional collective, we are increasingly interested in and are driven by emotion, not facts. In my view a lot of this has happened because of a general feminization of men, but reasonable people can disagree on that aspect. Disagree that we have become very emotional? Nope, not if the facts are consulted.

Brian Williams wanted to trade on our emotions because that would get him noticed/fame/money say some. I say it is because he knew that this was the fastest truest way to connect with America, so that he could then go on to try to tell us what is going on, so that maybe we would get it and then we will know....say I.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2015 02:44 am
Brian Williams needs to go

By Ruth Marcus
Quote:
Thinking about Williams requires grappling with the consequence of Hillary Clinton’s untrue story of coming under sniper fire in Bosnia. If I am correct in concluding that Williams should not continue in the anchor role at NBC, must I then believe that Clinton is unqualified to be president? If I distinguish between the two, is that because of pro-Clinton, pro-Democrat bias? Would I judge more harshly were a Republican candidate involved?

Here, I can only offer my best effort to analyze the two cases objectively. Clinton’s sniper-fire statement is, no doubt, a blot on her record. It is not a disqualifying blot. Journalists come to the job with only their credibility to offer. We expect less from politicians in terms of total truth-telling. Spin is part of the business model. You could legitimately decide that Clinton’s sniper story is disqualifying, but you must then deal with Ronald Reagan witnessing the liberation of Nazi death camps.

Either way, the untenable nature of Williams’s position becomes even clearer. Imagine that Clinton’s sniper story becomes a campaign issue. How does Williams, in the anchor chair, comfortably report that news, even after six months away?

Good words.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2015 02:55 am
How about this, Williams trades cancelling any non compete clause that is around in return for walking away, and he walks right on over to over to comedy central?
0 Replies