Brian Williams - why lie?

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2015 12:59 pm
Jon Stewart Takes On Media Coverage Of Brian Williams
http://www.buzzfeed.com/maryanngeorgantopoulos/jon-stewart-takes-on-media-coverage-of-brian-williams#.njYW3Azlj
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2015 04:33 pm
With more and more exaggerated stories coming out with each passing day, I am beginning to wonder if these are an early sign of dementia with Brian. I've experienced a few elderly go through this stage where their stories of the past get confused, overly dramatized and exaggerated, and their participation and self-importance becomes hyper inflated. This was a very early sign of undiagnosed dementia.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2015 04:38 pm
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
With more and more exaggerated stories coming out with each passing day, I am beginning to wonder if these are an early sign of dementia with Brian.

doubtful, he has been living a very fast life, and telling the same stories over many years, most likely he simply forgot some of th details of how he told the story in the past and made it sound good by adding new stuff. It takes a lot of attention to detail to tell oral stories the same way every time, and Brian Williams has not had the time to devote to that project.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2015 04:48 pm
Quote:
Do you think NBC's handling of it has been appropriate?
A better question might be: Could NBC’s behavior possibly have been more disastrous? Certainly Williams has few friends at the network. If he had, someone would have told him not to deliver that correction, and someone might also have said that it was a bad idea for him to then be photographed at a Rangers game with Tom Hanks, whose signature screen performances include playing a war hero in Saving Private Ryan and a fictional witness to historical events in Forrest Gump. It was almost a subliminal invitation for social media to go berserk with comic images placing Williams as a vainglorious interloper at key moments of history. The loosey-goosey wording of Williams’s self-proclaimed hiatus from the anchor chair was another public-relations fiasco.

Since then, the network’s executives have entered the witness protection program, as has Williams — the very opposite of the out-front response required. The vacuum they’ve created has been filled by everyone else. As a result their internal fact-finding effort — or investigation, or whatever they are calling it — will be suspect upon arrival.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2015/02/brian-williams-and-nbc-made-his-scandal-worse.html

Prob this is the COMCAST brass laying down a road to shove Williams down, the future dumping of him while claiming that this act solves the problem.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2015 04:54 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
My God, what’s happening to Brian is in the Zeitgeist,” marveled an NBC News wag on Monday. “He’s trumping Bruce Jenner on social media. I mean, cross-dressing Bruce Jenner killed somebody, but Brian Williams is still trending

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/02/10/fear-and-loathing-at-nbc.html

Yep, we generally have a lot of hostility towards journalists, so watching the disintegration of Brian Williams is great entertainment for a lot of folks. Kind of like watching the marching of a prisoner to the wall, where the firing squad will soon commence firing....imminent doom upon a person who probably deserves it. All we are missing is the popcorn.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2015 04:55 pm
The Hawkeye works again, I felt early that this was going to blow up, and it has.

I dont mind being right.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2015 05:00 pm
http://blogs.denverpost.com/opinion-cartoons/files/2015/02/brian-williams-cartoon-fitzsimmons.jpg
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2015 06:53 pm
CNN just reported that Brian Williams has been suspended from NBC for 6 months without pay.

Lester Holt will continue to fill in as the anchor of Nightly News.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2015 07:06 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I know people who do not embellish on purpose. They want to be straightforward, accurate. There are fails on this.

For an odd instance, I agree with oralloy.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2015 07:17 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

CNN just reported that Brian Williams has been suspended from NBC for 6 months without pay.

Lester Holt will continue to fill in as the anchor of Nightly News.

thinking of course if Laura Logan can come back to 60 minutes after 6 months without a lot of complaint then so can Brian Williams. No, it will not work. Logan was a relative pion, she can be let off with a slap on the wrist more easily than the premier journalist of the division can be. It is not possible for him to now have the authority to lead the journalism corps of Comcast. if for no other reason than his bosses thought he deserved a 6 month suspension. This is clear on the face of it, so Comcast putting him on 6 months is another black eye for them.

In about a month claiming more review and more evidence they will fire him, and attempt to not pay his contract.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2015 07:27 pm
@hawkeye10,
It should be noted that a lot of people said that Laura Logan was on track for an anchor spot before she got in trouble, but over a year later she is still going to work and collecting a paycheck but so far as the business goes she might as well be gone...she is hardly working and no one wants to work with her.

So 6 months was good enough for her so it is good enough for him? No. She should have been fired.
hingehead

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2015 08:01 pm
In all honesty I have no freaking idea who Brian Williams is but I saw this on twitter and nodded my head....

Chris Rock ‏@ozchrisrock

Brian Williams embellishes one story = worldwide controversy

Fox News lies unapologetically for 20 straight years = #1 cable news network
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2015 09:25 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
oralloy wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
Is there anyone here saying he/she has never done it?

I've never done it.

You've never embellished the truth, Oralloy???
Not even in that sentence?

Correct. Intentionally making an untrue claim would make me feel icky and squeamish. I much prefer to avoid that discomfort.

Also, I have a philosophy of life that apparently differs from most people. Most people, it seems, only feel validated as a person if they can point to something that makes them seem special or important. This can lead to them wishing they had achieved more things than they actually have done, and to them then embellishing their past. I, on the other hand, don't really care if I ever achieve anything or not. I'm perfectly happy with myself regardless of achievement level. Plus, if I ever did find myself saddled with some silly need to feel above average in order to feel self worth, I could just savor my brain power.

But I'm not trying to act holier than thou or anything. Even if this guy embellished intentionally, I think whatever embarrassment he has suffered is punishment enough. I don't see how this kerfuffle is all that big of a deal.

I'm also not claiming infallibility. I've been unintentionally wrong before, and likely will be again. In particular, sometimes a side topic will be related enough to a topic of interest that I end up talking about it, but as a mere side topic I hadn't learned nearly as much about it as I should have done before opening my mouth.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2015 09:26 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
It should be noted that a lot of people said that Laura Logan was on track for an anchor spot before she got in trouble, but over a year later she is still going to work and collecting a paycheck but so far as the business goes she might as well be gone...she is hardly working and no one wants to work with her.
So 6 months was good enough for her so it is good enough for him? No. She should have been fired.

In my view, the way she has been treated is an outrage. I was horrified that she was forced to leave for so long.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2015 09:34 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
3. Logan’s Colleagues Viewed Her as a Loose Cannon

Hagan’s piece is chock-full of quotes from Logan’s colleagues throughout her career calling her reckless, sometimes to the point of potentially endangering her crew. “It’s not an accident that Lara Logan fucked up,” one, albeit anonymous, colleague told Hagan. “It was inevitable. Everybody saw this coming.”

Hagan paints her as almost addicted to risk, which he intimates may have in part led to the Benghazi debacle. After she was sexually assaulted by a mob in Tahrir Square, CBS was reluctant to send her back out into the field, instead assigning her pieces on Aerosmith and the like. The Benghazi story, involving both a part of the world and the types of people (military contractors and employees of private security firms) with which Logan was familiar, seemed perfect for her, but it also allowed a shot of risk by proxy. In short, affinity bias may have made this story more attractive to Logan than its merits permitted.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/5-big-takeaways-from-ny-mags-piece-on-lara-logans-benghazi-report/

She should have been fired. Brian Williams will be fired.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2015 09:47 pm
I am noting many observers with the opinion the Williams got toasted by social media, many chalking it up to free floating hostility on the internet. No. Laura Logan got a 6 month suspension in spite of the fact that there was almost no comment on social media, which was PC CULTURE mandated by way of her having recently earned perfect victim credentials off of her sexual assault in Cairo. Williams is getting it just as Logan did because he failed at journalism 101....speak truth. Being a victim did not save logan, and having the top rated program and a $50 million contract with wet ink did not save Williams. What did in both of them was the rest of the crew, who could not stomach looking the other way when these two refused to care about journalisms standards. Journalism aint what it used to be, but there are limits to what those who call themselves journalists can tolerate. CBS and NBC cant let the troops get so disgusted that they decide to get out of journalism and go open a Subway.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2015 10:10 pm
BTW, a grandpa of mine was a life long print shop owner with a passion for newspapers and the people who ran them, my dad for most of his life was a newspaper ad man. Journalism has long been a passion of mine, though it is one that rarely comes up at A2K. This along with my sense that Williams was going down accounts for the large number of posts from me in this thread. I am not all about the feminists, sex and food...... I do have other interests.

0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2015 10:13 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
Quote:
3. Logan’s Colleagues Viewed Her as a Loose Cannon

Hagan’s piece is chock-full of quotes from Logan’s colleagues throughout her career calling her reckless, sometimes to the point of potentially endangering her crew. “It’s not an accident that Lara Logan fucked up,” one, albeit anonymous, colleague told Hagan. “It was inevitable. Everybody saw this coming.”

Hagan paints her as almost addicted to risk, which he intimates may have in part led to the Benghazi debacle. After she was sexually assaulted by a mob in Tahrir Square, CBS was reluctant to send her back out into the field, instead assigning her pieces on Aerosmith and the like. The Benghazi story, involving both a part of the world and the types of people (military contractors and employees of private security firms) with which Logan was familiar, seemed perfect for her, but it also allowed a shot of risk by proxy. In short, affinity bias may have made this story more attractive to Logan than its merits permitted.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/5-big-takeaways-from-ny-mags-piece-on-lara-logans-benghazi-report/

She should have been fired. Brian Williams will be fired.

Her being gang raped in Egypt is solely the fault of the people who raped her.

It was an outrage that no one pursued those rapists for prosecution, and an outrage that CBS had no objection when no one pursued them.

If she should be fired for getting some facts wrong, then the president of CBS should be fired for not making a fuss when no one tried to bring her rapists to justice.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2015 10:20 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Her being gang raped in Egypt is solely the fault of the people who raped her.

THe people who were with her refuse to talk, but this is doubtful. She had been advised to not go out because it was known that sexual assaults were rampant Then she got separated from the group that could have protected her, mostly likely on purpose from her or because she did not care enough about safety to pay attention.

Quote:
and an outrage that CBS had no objection when no one pursued them.
Given her rep for being reckless this was understandable. CBS stayed quiet, let her take as much time off as she wanted, and hoped that would be the end of it. It was not, they should have looked into her patterns of behaviour after Cairo, it might have saved them a big black eye.
oralloy

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2015 10:41 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
THe people who were with her refuse to talk, but this is doubtful. She had been advised to not go out because it was known that sexual assaults were rampant Then she got separated from the group that could have protected her, mostly likely on purpose from her or because she did not care enough about safety to pay attention.

It doesn't matter. I hate to sound like a feminist, but it isn't her fault that they raped her. It is their fault that they raped her.