Brian Williams - why lie?

Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2015 04:15 pm
@hawkeye10,
So the people would prefer someone telling them exciting falsehoods, when he should be relaying factual news items.

If I want exciting fiction, I go and watch or read a thriller. When I watch the News, I want to hear what is actually news, and not somebody's exciting fantasy.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2015 04:23 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Modern journalism is beset by many challenges, logistical and fundamental, but none are as potentially dangerous as its growing cultivation of and reliance on personal brand.

“Broadcast News,” which remains the prophetic primer on the modern news industry, hinged on that conflict. “Let’s never forget, we are the real story, not them,” said Aaron, the old-fashioned television reporter of “Broadcast News” played by Albert Brooks in sarcastic condemnation of the more handsome Tom, portrayed by William Hurt. More professionally flexible than Aaron, Tom had edited in his own tearful reaction to a report featuring an interview with a rape victim.

By today’s standards, of course, Tom’s actions would seem perfectly acceptable to most — his reaction was sincere and unplanned, and we have come to accept a reporter’s, or anchor’s, reaction and/or work getting the story as part of the story.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/showtracker/la-et-st-brian-williams-personal-branding-conflict-20150208-column.html

Sure, but this is how this business has worked for a long time (much like my business has become), the work is there is some competence in the work is required, but to get the real rewards chefs and journalists need to create a brand. We live in a superficial society, one that glorifies celebrity culture, to make it big it helps a lot to be a part of it. These people who fill the mags like Star/OK/Us Weekly are all very clear that their job is to create a brand that the public wants to see more of and then get out and push the brand everywhere they can. Brian Williams went and created a brand much like Tim Russerts brand was, and it mostly worked, till he went too far and made up stories about being on the battlefield, a third rail in this society these days.
Quote:
This is not to diminish Williams’ responsibility in telling, and retelling a false and patently self-aggrandizing version of his 2003 experience. Many journalists manage to be engaging and insightful guests without making up stories about being shot at by rocket launchers. The role of news anchor requires a certain amount of star power, but the business Williams chose is journalism, the basic rule of which is: First, tell no lies.

As the many promos for his work on NBC ponderously delight in reminding us, his brand is anchored in trustworthiness. So sticking scrupulously to the facts is not only a requirement of his job, it is in his own personal best interest.

As he is discovering now.

No, most journalists do not tell stories on the caliber of Brian Williams stories, it was till now his secret sauce, but he went too far and it is not possible to wind the clock back. KaBOOM! He is done.

We need to keep an eye on the currents of this society that Williams got trapped in and then sunk in to be sure, and some sympathy is appropriate I think, but what Brian Williams was trying to do does not work in theory and it did not work in reality, you can not be a journalist even in the diminished journalism of 2015 without acting as if the facts/reality is sacrosanct. A lot of times it is a ruse, but it must be maintained.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2015 04:45 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

So the people would prefer someone telling them exciting falsehoods, when he should be relaying factual news items.

If I want exciting fiction, I go and watch or read a thriller. When I watch the News, I want to hear what is actually news, and not somebody's exciting fantasy.

Have we not talked before about how stupid americans are? We dont have a lot of interest in the news because we dont have a lot of interest in knowing about reality. Huge numbers of people who tuned into Brian Williams were after being entertained not news, And NBC was willing to move far from the standards of the Cronkite years in order to satisfy the demand. Now that they got caught NBC will blame it all on Brian Williams and cut him lose just as the White House blamed the abuse at Abu Ghraib on E-3 reservists. We will get told " we investigated and it was all their fault, we fixed it (fired the offenders) , no need to think about this anymore, go about your day". The actual problem will not be addressed, because it is not in Comcasts interest to address it, and the people are too stupid and lazy to do it on their own.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2015 05:10 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
This would be enough to end many journalists’ careers. But Williams is likely going to be fine. Why? NBC has always positioned him less as a journalist and more as an entertainer. I’m not saying he doesn’t have plenty of journalistic input in his position as managing editor of his program, but most know him not from reporting the news, but slow-jamming it with Jimmy Fallon.

The former generation of nightly news anchors, of which Walter Cronkite was the Platonic ideal, was seen as a bunch of serious men who covered serious topics and had to be trusted by the people of America. Williams’s predecessor, Tom Brokaw, was certainly one of those. You believed every word he said, but he never seemed like he would be a particularly fun or interesting person to sit next to at a dinner party.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/feb/08/brian-williams-nbc-iraq-katrina-scandal

Nope, the people will not allow it. NBC will hear the music and then will cut and run, firing Williams and blaming williams. Yes, NBC was giving the people what they wanted, but the people will not admit it....we are not that self aware, nor that honest.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2015 08:02 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Former NBCUniversal boss Bob Wright is sticking his neck out for embattled anchorman Brian Williams.

Wright, who was in charge when Williams was hired from CBS and began a news show for sister network MSNBC in the ’90s, said, “Some of this puffing up [exaggeration] is accurate, but Brian Williams has helped NBC News. He has been the strongest supporter of the military of any of the news players. He never comes back with negative stories, he wouldn’t question if we’re spending too much. All the stories are very accurate. It’s ironic the military people are complaining. These were the people he held in high esteem.

http://pagesix.com/2015/02/09/former-nbcuniversal-boss-comes-to-the-defense-of-brian-williams/

I dont think that a former boss saying that Williams has shown extreme bias in his reporting is going to help his cause any. And complaining about this third rail of exaggerating ones combat experience when you are not even a member of the military does not make it go away.

Also, as a boss of NBC as journalism standards were tanking there puts Bob Wright squarely in the position of being part of the problem.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2015 08:54 pm
Quote:
Part of Williams’ self-delusion is that he’s some sort of ordinary Joe in touch with the real America. He nudges profiles to describe him as a “blue-collar Jersey guy.” His dad was an executive, not a coal miner. He fancies himself as in tune with the working men as he collects $10 million a year for successfully looking “troubled” or “sincere” or “amused” while reading 20 minutes of script off a prompter.

http://nypost.com/2015/02/08/we-shouldnt-believe-williams-lie-was-an-innocent-mistake/

It is not delusion, it is schtick/branding , a copy of the one that Russert used successfully.

Quote:
In the military, bragging about the courageous stuff you didn’t do is known as theft of valor. “Nobody is trying to steal anyone’s valor,” Williams insisted. Oh. OK, then. Tell that to all the military heroes whose stories haven’t been told.

Good point.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2015 09:18 pm
Quote:
It’s all worked almost too well. These days, when people come up to Williams in public, more often than not it’s to praise his extracurricular work. “No one ever stops me at La Guardia to say ‘That oil-price-per-barrel graphic you guys use? Killer,’ ” he says. At the same time, given the role his lighter side has played in keeping his cultural footprint from shrinking, one could argue that Williams has yet to really receive his due as a comedian. He gets credit for showing up, but not enough for what he does once he gets there. A close study of Williams’s ever-growing body of work reveals a versatile performer who can disappear into a character, play the straight man, deliver a monologue, or trade barbs from the other side of the desk. He’s a confident, kempt success in a profession dominated by neurotics and Apatovian man-children. Isn’t it time we took the comedy of Brian Williams seriously?

http://nymag.com/news/media/brian-williams-2011-5/index1.html

Yep, that is what people cared about, and they made sure he knew it. NBC News paid the bills, but his brand was not at all about being a great journalist, it was about entertaining( lucky for him that during this time NBCNEWS was moving to less news, more entertainment). TO expect him to keep to journalism standards was naive.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2015 09:39 pm
Quote:
I’m sure NBC’s team is a group of conscientious professionals of high integrity; reportedly, it will be headed by Richard Esposito, the head of NBC’s investigative unit. But in the end, it’s still investigating the boss. (And in fact there’s some doubt as to whether this is any “investigation” at all, or whether it’s instead simply “fact checking” before addressing the controversy.)

That shouldn’t be a satisfying answer to any journalistic outlet. And a big part of the problem here is that NBC News isn’t acting like a news organization; it’s acting like a business doing crisis p.r

http://time.com/3700844/brian-williams-investigation-iraq/

Yep. But many of us knew years ago how journalism standards have fallen at NBCNEWS. For others this is news.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2015 10:08 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Now that's the problem, there really isn't any such thing as a 'news program' on American television. All we have is infotainment. And as Jon Stewart said "at last someone is being held accountable for manipulating us into the Iraq war".
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2015 11:19 pm
Quote:
Before Mr. Williams apologized for exaggerating an account of a forced helicopter landing during the Iraq war, he ranked as the 23rd-most-trusted person in the country — on par with Denzel Washington, Warren E. Buffett and Robin Roberts. On Monday, he ranked as No. 835.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/10/business/media/under-fire-brian-williams-loses-lofty-spot-on-a-trustworthiness-scale.html?_r=0

And going down.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2015 01:51 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
Is there anyone here saying he/she has never done it?

I've never done it.

But I cast no judgement on anyone who has done it. I think that whatever embarrassment this guy has suffered is more than enough punishment.

I also note engineer's posts which indicate that this particular case even might not have been intentional deception, but instead could have been honest confusion.

But even those who intentionally embellish, I think that embarrassment is punishment enough. I don't see why this is such a big deal.
FBM

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2015 03:16 am
I don't claim to know what's going on with Brian Williams, but I've misremembered some pretty major stuff before.

Quote:
Feb 2015

Neuroscience Suggests that Brian Williams May In Fact Be “Misremembering”

Brian Williams is the center of a journalistic controversy right now—but it’s possible that he may have neuroscience on his side.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/next/body/brian-williams-may-fact-misremembering/
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2015 04:27 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
hawkeye10 wrote:
Full disclosure: NBC.com is one of the top ten places I go for news lately. I hate the redesigned CNN.com and use NBC instead for a first look at what is going on in any given day.

I have not watched a nightly broadcast on any network for at least 5 years.

I go to CBS.

I have no idea of what has happened to CNN...but it is almost like someone doing a parody of a terrible news station. I expect any day to see Geraldo Rivera opening Al Capone's safe on CNN.

It truly sucks.

Not as much as Fox NEWS...but it sucks.

I don't know anything about Fox News (I reject the Left's criticism of it, but I also don't watch it), but you are exactly right about CNN. CNN is an appalling parody of what it once was.

Apparently what has happened is, sometime late in the Clinton Administration there was some sort of deregulation that allowed entertainment divisions to be in charge of news divisions. That is the precise moment when everything started going downhill for all news channels.

I've mentioned my choices before, but for the record, I mostly do PBS (what used to be called the MacNeil/Lehrer Newshour, but they've renamed the show so many times that I forget what it is called now), with a generous side helping of BBC World News for added international perspective.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2015 06:29 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
Is there anyone here saying he/she has never done it?

I've never done it.

You've never embellished the truth, Oralloy???

Not even in that sentence?
Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2015 06:56 am
@Frank Apisa,
I think most people slant recollections to suit their cause when re-living them down at the pub etc.
I know I have.

But then again, I was never employed simply to relay factual news in a very high profile way whilst down the pub.

I was, however, when not down the pub, employed to present facts in Court and never once embellished or falsified anything to do with that.

It is a given in Court circles that lies will be quickly uncovered, bringing great shame (and legal ramifications) down on the relevant Court official.
One's credibility in Court would be destroyed overnight.

Pub tales with one's mates, and professional duties and responsibilities are two entirely separate things. And so it is with this guy.

The man is basically a saddo, imo, who intentionally puffed himself up in order to gain kudos from his viewing public. He isn't being malicious, I don't think.
He is just feeding off the glamour and glory of others and attempting to somehow always get himself included in that particular spotlight.

Now that he has been caught red-handed, how can he ever present another news item without millions of viewers not believing a word?

His credibility as a News reporter has made a loud farting noise and whizzed off out of the window, never to be seen again. Why on earth does anyone think that he should present anything factual, ever again?

Pass him on to some obscure UFO sighting show, or Pets Do The Funniest Things.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2015 07:10 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:
The man is basically a saddo, imo, who intentionally puffed himself up in order to gain kudos from his viewing public. He isn't being malicious, I don't think.
He is just feeding off the glamour and glory of others and attempting to somehow always get himself included in that particular spotlight.
Life is a stage, and when the curtain falls upon an act, it is finished and forgotten. The emptiness of such a life is beyond imagination. (Alexander Lowen, describing the existence of a narcissist)
Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2015 07:15 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Very sad, but he always has juggling cats and doggies to fall back on.

Or voiceovers for acne treatment, etc.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2015 07:19 am
@Lordyaswas,
I certainly would not lie in court...and for the most part, I try not to lie at all.

But I've certainly puffed up things at times...and it seems to me that sort of thing is more the norm than the exception for humans.

I'm not excusing Williams in any way. My remarks are more aimed toward the intense indignation that pops up for some people whenever the opportunity presents itself.

The Internet lot seems to be possessed of an extraordinary amount of indignation.

My comments on this issue seem to resolve to a form of: Those of us who live in glass houses ought not to throw stones.

Or, speaking of stones...let he among us who has not sinned cast the first one.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2015 07:31 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

Very sad, but he always has juggling cats and doggies to fall back on.

Or voiceovers for acne treatment, etc.
I suppose, just the latter
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2015 07:37 am
@Frank Apisa,
I believe it is a credibility issue, Frank.

If the milkman told me that he was an SAS operative in the Falklands who'd won the Victoria Cross, I would recognise him as a probable self inflator but wouldn't dream of taking it further, as he only plonks a bottle of milk on my doorstep each day.
His talent is to get up at 4am each day and laboriously deliver milk, and a bit of saddo self glorification doesn't prevent him from doing his job.

Different jobs require different talents and characteristics. High profile News Reporters, in my view, need to be trusted to provide their viewers/listeners with factual news as far as is possible.

If a Newscaster is found to be repeatedly lying or, as it is referred to here, "embellishing", then why the hell should I or anyone consider going to him for news updates in the future?

What other reason does someone tune in to the News, other than get the latest facts? To get the latest fiction?
0 Replies