Idiot Protestors Snarl Traffic_Ambulance diverted

Linkat

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 08:24 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Linkat wrote:

Seems I suffer for self esteem issues..

Yes, apparantly, unbeknowst to me, I do too.

I for one am glad I have someone like Frank now that can tell me what I'm thinking and feeling. Just imagine all the years I have been imagining I knew how I felt about things.

How could we have been so wrong linkat?

Must have something to do with being short.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 08:25 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Linkat wrote:

Awesome I knew I could flame your fire ... just so easy.

Pat yourself on the back, Link. While I laugh at you.

I can't I suffer from self esteem issues -- I think it has to do with being height deficient (need to be politically correct so as not to offend).
Linkat

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 08:34 am
@ossobuco,
Not sure exactly what you mean - the people in Boston? They did mean to stop traffic - they wanted to prevent the white people from getting into the city to work as black people are prevented to travel freely day to day (or that was the gist of it). Now I may agree that black people in particular young black men are questioned much more often and stopped and questioned as a result -- but still not sure how this is helpful.

There is much talk about better ways of handling this and even protests in general -- like attending community meetings; working with the community outreach, etc.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 08:52 am
@Linkat,
I am short also, Link. Real short...5' 7 1/2" when standing at attention.

When Nancy says, "Don't be short with me"...I usually defuse whatever is going on with, "Oh, if we're gonna get into that short stuff, I'm bailing."

Works every time.

Oh, and when people ask me, "Whatcha been up to?"...my stock reply is, "five seven and three quarters!"

Hey...the extra quarter of an inch is what my mind's eye sees.

chai2

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 09:11 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

There is much talk about better ways of handling this and even protests in general -- like attending community meetings; working with the community outreach, etc.

Agreed linkat.

Perhaps exploiting the ways above, that more generally have the public look at them (meaning the group campaigning for change) positivly, need to be exhausted before launching into things that mostly just piss people off.

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 09:26 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Linkat wrote:

Agreed linkat.

Perhaps exploiting the ways above, that more generally have the public look at them (meaning the group campaigning for change) positivly, need to be exhausted before launching into things that mostly just piss people off.

It is my opinion that polite campaigning for change in the matter of police officers shooting unarmed black young people to death...has pretty much been exhausted.

Other means have to be explored...which is what this group was doing. And the fact that their methods piss people off...may be exactly why they do it.

Yeah, they screwed up...and a guy was not able to get to the hospital of best choice.

BUT they were protesting treatment and activities that have cost the lives of thousands of young black men...and will almost certainly cost the lives of many, many more before something is done to rein in the excesses in this area.

There are some who think that one white person's right to get to the best hospital is more important in the long run than whether or not thousands of young black men are gunned down by over-zealous law enforcement. There are some who think that the "gunning down of young black men by over-zealous law enforcement" is a community benefit.

I would like to think you and Link are not among those individuals.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 09:28 am
@Frank Apisa,
By the way...I have read over my first five-six replies to this thread...and my comments were courteous, on point, and reasonable.

I started to stray after a while...but only after several insulting suggestions were sent my way.

Read my first six posts here. Tell me why they are objectionable...other than that you do not agree with my take as reasonably and courteously presented.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 10:25 am
@Linkat,
I was talking about the matter of using those concrete containers with person attached being hard to move aside for an ambulance to get through, and possibly that part of the protest meant, then, to stop traffic. I don't know that this was the case, only my idea of a possibility (it was the intention in the Boyle book), and rather doubt it as connected with any other of the protesters, even if it was somehow the intent of the 'concrete' set. Just musing.

Just read your comment that they did mean to stop traffic - the whole protest group?
Linkat

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 01:19 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I'm even more height defiecent than you --- and Chai is as well.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 01:25 pm
@ossobuco,
According to the article -

The protest was intended “to confront white complacency in the systemic oppression of black people in Boston,” the Boston contingent of Black Lives Matter said in a statement.

“Today, our nonviolent direct action is meant to expose the reality that Boston is a city where white commuters and students use the city and leave, while black and brown communities are targeted by police, exploited, and displaced,” protester Katie Seitz said in a statement.

So though they don't say it is to stop traffic directly - say they are exposing commuters lead me to believe that the intention is too stop traffic.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 02:10 pm
@Linkat,
That makes sense. I figure it would be the attention of some, and not of most. But, I don't know them.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 02:22 pm
My position in this thread has probably been influenced by the intense desire I have to see the crap of cops shooting so many young black men...stopped.

Anything anyone does to raise awareness in the public's eye about that problem...no matter it be misguided by anger, as this one probably was...draws, if not my respect, at least my tolerance. I will defend those actions.

Sorry if that has annoyed some people.
giujohn

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 04:57 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
My position in this thread has probably been influenced by the intense desire I have to see the crap of cops shooting so many young black men...stopped.

Anything anyone does to raise awareness in the public's eye about that problem...no matter it be misguided by anger, as this one probably was...draws, if not my respect, at least my tolerance. I will defend those actions.

The answer is simple but I dont see you advocating for it.

Teach the people to STOP RESISTING ARREST and you will see these numbers (albeit small) drop.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 05:15 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

Anything?

I don't believe you really mean this, Frank. Would you tolerate these protesters throwing bricks through store windows?

If you would like we could go through examples of things people could do to "raise awareness". I am sure that you have a limit of what makes a protest unacceptable... it may not be the same as my limit... but you do have a limit.

These protesters definitely have crossed my limit of acceptable behavior.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 05:22 pm
@giujohn,
giujohn wrote:

Quote:

The answer is simple but I dont see you advocating for it.

Teach the people to STOP RESISTING ARREST and you will see these numbers (albeit small) drop.

Seems a lot easier to teach law enforcement people to show a good deal more restraint. Not all of the deaths involve people "resisting arrest."

But using your line of thinking, I guess we could teaching some of these young men not to wear dark skin...and we'd probably see just as great a drop.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 05:25 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:

Anything?

I don't believe you really mean this, Frank. Would you tolerate these protesters throwing bricks through store windows?

If you would like we could go through examples of things people could do to "raise awareness". I am sure that you have a limit of what makes a protest unacceptable... it may not be the same as my limit... but you do have a limit.

These protesters definitely have crossed my limit of acceptable behavior.

Agree and disagree, Max.

You are absolutely correct: "Anything" was way too much.

There definitely are things I would not applaud...or condone. As you correctly noted, I do have limits.

But this particular incident did not even come close to the line as far as I am concerned.
giujohn

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 05:47 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
But using your line of thinking, I guess we could teaching some of these young men not to wear dark skin...and we'd probably see just as great a drop.

Talk about drinking the Kool-aid and towing the party line (oh I forgot, you're not a liberal...everyone who believes that stand on their head)...show me the evidence that proves any systemic racism in the shooings of black offenders by police.
Hint: How many were prosecuted for violating their civil rights based on race?
Good luck.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 06:01 pm
I'm not exactly pumping this book, non fiction by a policeman, not least since I'm on p. 182 and there are about 560, but I'm starting to mention it since it gives me a clue of one guy's daily life in the NYPD. Whether I'll agree with him at the end of it, I've no idea, but up to p. 182, I get his reasoning and his background for his reasoning. He's a good writer and the book has had big time recommendations. I don't care much re recommendations, but I'll look at them later; I do like his writing. Densely told but not dull.

Edward Conlon, Blue Blood
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 06:05 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Does the cause matter to you Frank? What if protesters who were trying to stop gay marriage used this tactic, would you defend them?
ossobuco

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 06:22 pm
I don't see protesters as a unified clot. Sometimes, I suppose, but also maybe there are layers of enthusiasm going on.

Arm into concrete (nuts). Standing and being there, usually not.
Then there is the possible mob problem, but I haven't read enough to see that was going on there, am way out of reading on it.
0 Replies