Is the United States Crazy?

parados

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2015 03:45 pm
@Baldimo,
Quote:
It is only called regressive because it forces those on the lower side of the income brackets to actually pay for something. I lived in the lower brackets years ago, making less then 50k a year and I always got back huge tax returns, $3,000 plus each year. I now make over 80k a year and I'm lucky if I get back $500 a year.

What you get back at the end of the year has nothing to do with what you pay in taxes. It only shows you didn't do the correct calculations for payments during the year.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2015 03:45 pm
@giujohn,
giujohn wrote:

Quote:
It makes a hell of a lot more sense that that piece of garbage that asserts that the rich pay ALL the taxes.

Your article is crapola.

No it isn't.

Quote:

"Many taxes are regressive, meaning they take a larger share of income from poor and middle-income families than they do from the rich."

Acording to your article using simple math and not meaningless statements, people earning 14000 are federally taxed at 6.8%. Those earning 1.5 million are taxed at 24.7%

By the time you factor in their refund and earned income credit, child credits and all the other freebies yes the rich pay ALL the taxes.thank you very much commie liberals and their redistribution plans.

You actually have drunk too much of the Kool Aid, John.

Glad to know, though, that you do not pay taxes.

I, however, do...and I am not rich.

So...no matter what...the rich do not pay ALL the taxes.

0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2015 03:50 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
"Do we really want to live in a world where the 1 percent own more than the rest of us combined?"

That should read..."Do we really want to live in a world where the 1 percent are allowed to own all the money they earn?"
Baldimo

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2015 03:54 pm
@parados,
Really? It has everything to do with what you get back at the end of the year.

We both make 50K a year. I'm single and you are married with kids. Are you really saying that through the year we are paying the same amount in taxes each pay period? If I cheated and claimed 4 dependents, are you saying that at the end of the year that I wouldn't owe money to the IRS?
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2015 04:03 pm
@giujohn,
giujohn wrote:

Quote:
"Do we really want to live in a world where the 1 percent own more than the rest of us combined?"

That should read..."Do we really want to live in a world where the 1 percent are allowed to own all the money they earn?"

Nope...I do not think the re-wording works at all, John.

But it made me laugh. Sometimes it is tough to see how owned the minions of the right actually are.

Anyway...you think it is okay if the top 1% owns more than all the rest of us combined.

I wonder...do you think it would be okay if it got to the point where the top 1% owned 75% of all the wealth?

How about if the top 1/10th of 1% owned 85 % of all the wealth?'

And how about it the top 1/100th of 1% owned 99% of all the wealth?

At what point would you finally get your head out of wherever you've got it stashed on this issue?
giujohn

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2015 04:07 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
The richest of the richest 1%:

Notice on this list that none of this wealth was given to these people by the government...it was earned
giujohn

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2015 04:14 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Here's how many dollars you need to join their ranks:

No...wrong again, this is how many dollars you need to EARN to join their ranks.
giujohn

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2015 04:16 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
rather than looking at the bigger picture

And pray tell what is the big picture frank?
parados

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2015 04:18 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

Really? It has everything to do with what you get back at the end of the year.

We both make 50K a year. I'm single and you are married with kids. Are you really saying that through the year we are paying the same amount in taxes each pay period? If I cheated and claimed 4 dependents, are you saying that at the end of the year that I wouldn't owe money to the IRS?

Gosh.. so if you make 50K and pay in $3000 and get back $200 that means you paid more than me if I made 50K, paid in $5000 and got back $2000?
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2015 04:28 pm
@giujohn,
giujohn wrote:

Quote:
Here's how many dollars you need to join their ranks:

No...wrong again, this is how many dollars you need to EARN to join their ranks.

Learn to read, John.

If you have a problem with what someone says...direct your comment to that person, not to me.
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2015 04:29 pm
@Baldimo,
Quote:
Our tax system is screwed

As far as Im concerned we should keep ALL the money we earn. The wat my taxes are squandered a much more fair system is to have a 5% state sales (that each state keeps) and a 10% federal sales tax that is distributed to the states based on population and LEGISLATION...PERIOD. And if they cant do what they need to do with that amount, conduct an adit to see who needs to go to jail or impeached.

The problems of this country are realtively easy to fix. It is made difficult so that they are purposley not fixed to keep certain people in their jobs.

Take the illegal "dreamers". They want citizenship? No problem. I say give it to them...after they serve honorably 3 years in the military and while in they must learn (providing they dont have a criminal record, they speak english, and have a H.S Diploma, of course).
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2015 04:29 pm
@giujohn,
giujohn wrote:

Quote:
rather than looking at the bigger picture

And pray tell what is the big picture frank?

You wouldn't understand the bigger picture, John. Your masters have clouded your mind.
Baldimo

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2015 04:35 pm
@giujohn,
People like Frank want equal outcomes in the US, not equal opportunity. If I make more then my neighbor, then I must have cheated them or stole from them because I'm doing better.

You will never see someone from the left accept a reason why someone is poor. It doesn't matter if the mother got pregnant at 16, it's not fair that she has to work a min wage job. Personal responsibility never occures to these people. Someone else always cheated or stole from someone else.

Neither do they realize that a majority of the rich are not from old money. In the last several decades there has been a shift. Less and less of the "old" money is still around. Most of it is new money.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/afontevecchia/2014/10/03/there-are-more-self-made-billionaires-in-the-forbes-400-than-ever-before/

http://www.nytimes.com/books/first/s/stanley-millionaire.html
giujohn

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2015 04:37 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Anyway...you think it is okay if the top 1% owns more than all the rest of us combined.

I am perfectly ok with anyone keeping what they earned. Applying your logic if I am better looking then the rest (and I am) I should pay for everyone elses cosmetic surgery??? Where do you libs get this **** from? This is still a country where ANYONE can be a millionare...ANYONE.
Give me a reason why you have to be poor? (you still havent answered that) (thought I forgot huh?) And remember when you wanted examples??? Well this is one of those times. ANSWER THE QUESTION FRANK.
Baldimo

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2015 04:38 pm
@parados,
See what I mean. Question with a question.
giujohn

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2015 04:49 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
You wouldn't understand the bigger picture, John. Your masters have clouded your mind.

Talk about typing for the sake of typing and not living up to the standards you impose on others (didnt we just have that discussion...the answer is YES) what a convenient cop-out Frank.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2015 05:12 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

People like Frank want equal outcomes in the US, not equal opportunity. If I make more then my neighbor, then I must have cheated them or stole from them because I'm doing better.

Why do you make crap up...and then argue against what you make up?

There is absolutely no way you will ever find that I have said that I want "equal outcomes" anywhere...here in A2K, in Abuzz, in any other forum, or in any of the hundreds of op ed pieces I have written.

Stop making nonsense up.

Quote:
You will never see someone from the left accept a reason why someone is poor.

Well, I am not from the left...but I know many people from the left who could accept all sorts of reasons. This contention of yours is absurd.

Do you think before you write?

Quote:
It doesn't matter if the mother got pregnant at 16, it's not fair that she has to work a min wage job. Personal responsibility never occures to these people. Someone else always cheated or stole from someone else.

Neither do they realize that a majority of the rich are not from old money. In the last several decades there has been a shift. Less and less of the "old" money is still around. Most of it is new money.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/afontevecchia/2014/10/03/there-are-more-self-made-billionaires-in-the-forbes-400-than-ever-before/

http://www.nytimes.com/books/first/s/stanley-millionaire.html

Drink your Kool Aid and calm down, Baldimo. You are raving now.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2015 05:17 pm
@giujohn,
giujohn wrote:

Quote:

I am perfectly ok with anyone keeping what they earned. Applying your logic if I am better looking then the rest (and I am) I should pay for everyone elses cosmetic surgery???

So you would be content if 5 people owned 99.9% of all the wealth.

Wow...you really are a piece of work!

They own people like you.

Quote:
Where do you libs get this **** from? This is still a country where ANYONE can be a millionare...ANYONE.

I am not a liberal. And I will happily sell you my chance to become a millionaire for a relatively cheap $50,000.

What say?

Quote:
Give me a reason why you have to be poor? (you still havent answered that) (thought I forgot huh?)

I don't have to be poor. Give me a reason why you have to be 4' 3" tall?

Quote:
And remember when you wanted examples??? Well this is one of those times. ANSWER THE QUESTION FRANK.

I did. I do not have to be poor.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2015 05:19 pm
@giujohn,
giujohn wrote:

Quote:

Talk about typing for the sake of typing and not living up to the standards you impose on others (didnt we just have that discussion...the answer is YES) what a convenient cop-out Frank.

But it is the correct answer, John. You wouldn't want me to lie.

You would not understand the big picture. Your masters have ordered you to keep your eyes shut. And like a good lackey...you are obeying.
parados

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2015 05:23 pm
@Baldimo,
It was an example that gave you the opportunity to agree or disagree. If you don't want to answer it then I can turn it into a statement that simply says your argument is silly and factually incorrect.

The amount of money you get back at the end of the year from the IRS is not indicative of how much you pay in taxes for the year. It only reflects how much you overpaid during the course of the year. Your statement that money back represents how much you pay is wrong. In your example, we both make 50K. Yet you admit that we both would pay different amounts to the IRS each pay period. What we pay in is NOT what we get back at the end of the year. I could declare an additional exemption that would require that I pay another $1000 on April 15th while you get back $300. That does not mean you paid less in taxes simply because you got more back from the government. What you get back at the end of the year doesn't work as a comparison of total taxation between individuals.

There. Now you are free to show us how you just want to continue to make arguments that are unsupported in any way.
0 Replies