Are people generally less forgiving of others as they get older?

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 07:20 am
I was noticing that second marriages have a higher divorce rate than first marriages, and third marriages even higher. Is it because as we get older we refuse to put up with things we would have tolerated in the past?
Quote:
in the U.S. 50% percent of first marriages, 67% of second, and 73% of third marriages end in divorce.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-intelligent-divorce/201202/the-high-failure-rate-second-and-third-marriages

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 07:28 am
@Banana Breath,
No.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 08:12 am
Kids from the first marriage are a big cause for the failure of 2nd marriages. So is the "re-bound" marriage, which happens a lot in the 3rd.

People stay together for sex, money, and the kids. They also divorce because of these things, too.

chai2

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 08:34 am
@Banana Breath,
Well, if you actually read the article, you would have pychology todays interpretation of this.

I don't necessarily look at 2nd and 3rd marriages ending as a bad thing.

Your more likely to see patterns in the marriage that will make you miserable if the marriage continues, and you decide to cut your losses and move on.

The idea of staying together for the children is no longer there (well, if the kids are grown) How many people lived unhappy lives for "the sake of the children"?

Women are more financially self supporting now, and aren't dependant on their survival on men.

Men don't have the contraint of staying in a marriage just to support someone.

People should know who they are better and aren't willing to put up with someone's bullshit.

Personally, I think the pity is that people still feel obligated to sign a piece of paper by the 3rd time around to prove something, like your love for another.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 09:26 am
@Banana Breath,
I think it is more the individuals than the age. Mathematically ,a couple that hasn't gotten divorced at all has zero percent chance of getting divorced for a second or third marriage. Whereas someone that got divorced has every chance of getting divorced again - and history has shown, they were not as committed in their first marriage thus upping the percentage chance of a further divorce.
chai2

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 01:04 pm
@Linkat,
Having been raised as a catholic, as a young person I thought divorce as something rare, shameful and wrong, wrong, wrong.

Then, as a late teenager, I read something Margaret Mead had said. While I couldn't fully comprehend it at the time, it opened my eyes to a new way of looking at things, and made me think.

Here, I just looked up part of what I remember...

Ahrons quotes the noted anthropologist Margaret Mead, who was married and divorced three times; a reporter asked about her ‘failed' marriages, to which she replied," I didn't have any failed marriages. I've been married three times and each marriage was successful."

Says Ahrons: "She went on to explain that she had gone through several very distinct life stages and had at each time chosen a different mate, one who could meet her needs and priorities of that time. She also suggested in her writings...that her own pattern of serial monogamy was the wave of the future."

Perhaps this evolution away from the catastrophic predictions about the consequences of divorce can be seen to correspond with parallel shifts in the meanings of marriage. In Marriage, A History: How Love Conquered Marriage, family historian Stephanie Coontz discusses the very modern notion of marrying for romantic love and the elevated expectations (and greater disappointments) of that partnership when it is no longer primarily an economic arrangement between families.

What I more remember her saying was how we now live for such an extended time, it can be unrealistic to think that the person who was a good match for you during one phase of your life was necessarily a good match for other times.

As I've gotten more mature, that feels so right. We change over our lifetime. While it would be so romantic and pleasant to think both people in a marriage will remain on the same track, both looking in the same direction, it's not realistic.

As far as nature is concerned, after people have raised offspring to the point where they are physically capable of taking care of themselves (or at least likely enough not to get in the way of a lion or tiger), the parents can just as soon drop dead. They can't have any more young, their job is done, and they are wasting resources.

Come civilization, over the years we live longer and longer. Not biologically necessary, but here we are. In the past, if 2 people only lived until their late 20's or 30, they didn't have the time to get on each others nerves before they died, let alone more damaging things.

As Coontz said, the concept of marrying for love is a recent thing. It seems normal to us today, but it wasn't always like that. I won't be the one to say todays way is better all the time.

eurocelticyankee

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 01:11 pm
@chai2,
Chai wrote
Quote:
Having been raised as a catholic, as a young person I thought divorce as something rare, shameful and wrong, wrong, wrong.
Honey if your raised a Catholic everything is shameful and wrong, wrong, wrong.

Are people generally less forgiving of others as they get older?
Must be something wrong with me because I'm getting mellower by the day.
chai2

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 01:14 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
Hence the reason I'm not a catholic Very Happy

In fact, I'm a much better person since I stopped thinking about all the God stuff altogether.

Considering that, imagine what I was like before. Shocked
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 01:17 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
eurocelticyankee wrote:

Must be something wrong with me because I'm getting mellower by the day.

Yeah, I have to agree with that.

I don't call it mellow, it's more like "who cares. do what you want"
eurocelticyankee

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 01:36 pm
@chai2,
I'm mellowing in everyday life but I'm also getting angrier by the the day with the political muppets running my country.
So I suppose I'm half in half.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 01:38 pm
The longer i live, the more i am impressed with how close-minded and intolerant the young are.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 03:23 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Then, as a late teenager, I read something Margaret Mead had said. While I couldn't fully comprehend it at the time, it opened my eyes to a new way of looking at things, and made me think.

Here, I just looked up part of what I remember...

Ahrons quotes the noted anthropologist Margaret Mead, who was married and divorced three times; a reporter asked about her ‘failed' marriages, to which she replied," I didn't have any failed marriages. I've been married three times and each marriage was successful."

Says Ahrons: "She went on to explain that she had gone through several very distinct life stages and had at each time chosen a different mate, one who could meet her needs and priorities of that time. She also suggested in her writings...that her own pattern of serial monogamy was the wave of the future."

Perhaps this evolution away from the catastrophic predictions about the consequences of divorce can be seen to correspond with parallel shifts in the meanings of marriage. In Marriage, A History: How Love Conquered Marriage, family historian Stephanie Coontz discusses the very modern notion of marrying for romantic love and the elevated expectations (and greater disappointments) of that partnership when it is no longer primarily an economic arrangement between families.

What I more remember her saying was how we now live for such an extended time, it can be unrealistic to think that the person who was a good match for you during one phase of your life was necessarily a good match for other times.

As I've gotten more mature, that feels so right. We change over our lifetime. While it would be so romantic and pleasant to think both people in a marriage will remain on the same track, both looking in the same direction, it's not realistic.

As far as nature is concerned, after people have raised offspring to the point where they are physically capable of taking care of themselves (or at least likely enough not to get in the way of a lion or tiger), the parents can just as soon drop dead. They can't have any more young, their job is done, and they are wasting resources.

Come civilization, over the years we live longer and longer.
Yea, speaking of living longer (and without cramps):
tell us what u think of MAGNESIUM please.

Linkat

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 03:40 pm
@chai2,
I don't an issue with that - to each his own sort of thing. But if you have that sort of attitude, then why get married? It just seems if you don't plan it to be for life, then it is a very expensive way to have a relationship that changes as your life stage changes.
Banana Breath

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 03:41 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
tell us what u think of MAGNESIUM please.

Don't start that crap here. We know you're shill for the magnesium cartel.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 03:50 pm
As time goes by, I find myself more tolerant of human mistakes, and a great deal less tolerant of rudeness and arrogance.
Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 03:56 pm
@roger,
Agreed.

I also gave up on trying to understand new technology when the monoplane was invented.

They'll be inventing mobile phones to fit in the pocket next.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 04:10 pm
I am 53. There is no doubt in my mind but that people tend to get more tolerant with age.

The divorce thing as to do with lack of skill at picking mates and lack of skill at relationships. While some people learn with experience a lot dont, they just keep making the same mistakes. What you see with those who never learn to do relationships is a common problem that can been seen everywhere.....a lifetime of refusing to see, refusing to learn, and refusing to do the work.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 04:26 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

But if you have that sort of attitude, then why get married?

Exactly.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 04:27 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

As time goes by, I find myself more tolerant of human mistakes, and a great deal less tolerant of rudeness and arrogance.

rudeness and arrogance are still fine with me, if people have the skills and the brains to back it up. What I have increasingly over decades become much less tolerant of is deception and lies from those who have power, that is to say the abuse of power. We as a society dont teach power, how it works, and so the citizens are easy marks for those who learn how power works and are willing to abuse it. Unfortunately a lot of people are willing to abuse power to get what they want, often wealth or control of other people.

All of this goes towards our morality problem, which is really a spiritual problem. If people have a spiritual problem then I am somewhat forgiving, up to the point where they start abusing people. Then its **** them.

Language rudeness is nothing compared to the abuse we see in this society by those with power towards those who are either stupid or without power. We need to be able to prioritize. I dont mind assholes or being an asshole if the claims are either right or might be right and are not getting considered. We have much bigger fish to fry these days, politeness is nice but not a high priority.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 04:37 pm
@chai2,
Edit...linkat, if I had to do it over again, I don't think I would ever marry.

That doesn't change how I feel about my husband one iota....I just doubt I'd do it.

BTW, re the expense? My first marriage was done at a court house, and we had a dinner with maybe 4 other people afterwards. A year and a halfish later we did a do it yourself divorce for probably around $100.
2nd marriage almost 21 years ago was done by some minister of I don't even know what church, and Wally, my sister, BIL and 3 year old went to Denny's for breakfast afterwards.

People can do what they want with expensive weddings. I just think there's a lot of rationalization going on (especially with the fairer sex) about "oh, I want to be able to share this day with all the people I love" When people hear so-and-so got married, generally the reaction is "that's nice" I wish people would stop acting like they're doing anyone some big favor and just say they want to spend a lot of money on a 3 or 4 hour party and be the center of attention.

If you spent a lot of money on a wedding, that's your doing. No one else deep down really cares. If you spent a lot of money, then get divorced, that's your own stupid fault.

We are wedding crazy and marriage failures. Seems like our priorities are mixed up.