Bill Cosby accused of Rape - say it ain't so

firefly

Sat 20 Dec, 2014 11:07 pm
@hawkeye10,
You omitted the fact that the first sentence of that article states that the letter of outrage to CNN was written by Martin Singer, Cosby's lawyer.

I didn't think you were dumb enough, or gullible enough, to fall for that desperate PR ploy by Cosby's attorney to blame the media for Cosby's alleged "victimization" at their hands---it's Cosby's victim narrative he doesn't want challenged. Laughing He wants everyone, of course, to believe these accusers are all lying, and he's clearly trying to bully the media out of giving them airtime to talk about their experiences with Cosby. The media would love to have Cosby present his side of the story, but this same lawyer refuses to let Cosby speak--then he complains that the coverage is "unbalanced". Laughing

It's the newest party line from the Cosby camp--i.e. the media hasn't properly "vetted" his accusers, so all these women might well be lying, and Cosby is the real victim Rolling Eyes--we also heard the same thing earlier this week from Cosby's wife and one of his daughters. It's a desperate move on their part to try to create the illusion he's the victim of a smear campaign by the media, but it's also a foolish move since it only ticks the media off even more to have their integrity questioned for, very obviously, self-serving reasons by those desperate to bail Cosby out of his current situation.

Why would Beverly Johnson's ex-boyfriend, who she lived with from 2006--2009, have anything relevant to say about an incident with Cosby she claims happened in the mid 80's? It was Cosby's lawyer who wanted this man interviewed by CNN because he hoped he could tell CNN something that would help to discredit Beverly Johnson. Why? Because Cosby's lawyer is panicked about Johnson, she's the highest profile of Cosby's accusers, well known in her own right, and she's currently suing Cosby for defamation of character because of things he recently said about her to two different publications. So, they are desperate to try to discredit Beverly, any way they can.

I suspect Johnson's ex-boyfriend really had nothing of interest to tell CNN, despite his trying to sell some kind of story to them at Cosby's lawyer's urging. I suspect, from that article, they saw him as a creep trying to make a few bucks out of his past relationship with Johnson, by using them for that purpose, and told him to get lost. And that's what really infuriated Cosby's lawyer--the fact that CNN was actually applying some journalistic standards, and they weren't allowing that shyster lawyer to try to manipulate them.

The fact that Beverly Johnson never said anything negative about Cosby to this ex-boyfriend doesn't mean a damn thing. If anything that supports her credibility in what she says about him now. She hasn't been trying to hang Cosby for the past 30 years or so, there was no reason she should have discussed what happened with Cosby 20 years earlier with that ex-boyfriend--it wasn't a traumatic incident for her. She came forward now only to support the women who spoke about being drugged by him--she claims only that Cosby tried to drug her, but not that he sexually assaulted her. So, despite Cosby's lawyer's attempts to sell this guy's story to CNN, in hopes it would somehow discredit Johnson, it sounds like the ex-boyfriend really had nothing of interest to tell them.

If Cosby's accusers were all lying about him, that lawyer would be slapping defamation of character suits on them right and left. But he's not doing that, is he? Guess why?

Instead, the lawyer's taking the "smear campaign" strategy and trying to blame the media--maybe next he'll blame a vast right-wing conspiracy. Laughing He's got a client who's sinking fast, into some very deep quicksand, and they are desperate to find a rope they can throw to him. So far, they haven't found one.

In the letter the lawyer allegedly sent to CNN, he does make a veiled threat to sue them at the end of it. I'm sure they are quaking in their boots. Laughing
http://tmz.vo.llnwd.net/o28/newsdesk/tmz_documents/1219-cosby-johnson-zucker-letter-02.pdf

You're just the kind of chump that lawyer hopes he can convince that poor Bill is the victim in all of this--the victim of over 2 dozen lying women and the victim of an outrageous media smear campaign. And you're gullible enough to fall for it because you love these male victim narratives.
hawkeye10

Sat 20 Dec, 2014 11:25 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
You omitted the fact that the first sentence of that article states that the letter of outrage to CNN was written by Martin Singer, Cosby's lawyer.
I only used a few quotes from the piece so of course I omitted a lot of stuff, I however did not omit who was making the claim of poor journalism on CNN's part.

Quote:
Why would Beverly Johnson's ex-boyfriend, who she lived with from 2006--2009, have anything relevant to say about an incident with Cosby she claims happened in the mid 80's?
In my experience guys who live with women who have been traumatized by sexual abuse know the source of the trauma...it tends to come up when the guys want to know why the woman is acting strange. Now she could have been abused but not traumatized, but I am pretty sure that I have seen his woman cry for us so that would not be the claim here.

Quote:
I suspect Johnson's ex-boyfriend really had nothing of interest to tell CNN,
well that is the point right, is CNN after more dirt on Cosby or are they rather after the truth? This being CNN I tend to assume it is the former.

Quote:
The fact that Beverly Johnson never said anything negative about Cosby to this ex-boyfriend doesn't mean a damn thing.
go back and reread the piece, you missed the claim that she spoke of Cosby in positive terms.

Quote:
If Cosby's accusers were all lying about him, that lawyer would be slapping defamation of character suits on them right and left.
After a couple of weeks doubtful. And those suits are very rare anyways because they are usually seen as pointless with the periodic exception of going after the tabloids like Tom Cruise recently did, and that is mostly to discourage the future practice of the tabloids going after the reputations of celebs.

Quote:

You're just the kind of chump that lawyer hopes he can convince that poor Bill is the victim in all of this--the victim of over 2 dozen lying women and the victim of an outrageous media smear campaign.
I am currently at 50/50, I think that it is just as likely that Cosby is the victim as it is that they women are victims.
hawkeye10

Sat 20 Dec, 2014 11:26 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
So I'm sending this treasure to the trash heap of blather posts in which I no longer wish to participate. I admire the patience and restraint used by many of my cyber friends, and I truly wish I had the same spirit. Maybe after the holidays I can deal with the creepy factor. I've got places to go, people to see and Christmas cookies to bake.

Conceited much?

You remind me of these assholes who write four paragraphs on why they have someone on ignore, which usually turns out to be a lie.
0 Replies

firefly

Sun 21 Dec, 2014 12:05 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
In my experience guys who live with women who have been traumatized by sexual abuse know the source of the trauma...it tends to come up when the guys want to know why the woman is acting strange. Now she could have been abused but not traumatized, but I am pretty sure that I have seen his woman cry for us so that would not be the claim here.

Beverly Johnson neither claims Cosby sexually assaulted her nor traumatized her in any way. She says only that he tried to drug her, and the only reason she came forward about it now, almost 30 years later, was to support the other women who allege they were drugged by him. If she spoke about Cosby in positive terms to her ex-boyfriend, if in fact she did so, it may have been because, at that time, she was unaware that, with many other women, the drugging attempts were successful and were followed by sexual assaults.

And she remains a threat to Cosby because of her current defamation of character suit against him--which is why his lawyer is trying to discredit her, any way he can..

You're too unfamiliar with the basic facts about this matter to even comment on it.

And you're extremely naive if you think Cosby's lawyer wouldn't be going after all of the accusers with defamation of character suits, if he could. That would be the fastest way to stop this piling on of accusations, and clear his client's name in a courtroom. That's how we deal with slander, libel, and defamation of character in our legal system. The most obvious reason he can't do that is because they're not lying...that's the same reason he doesn't want Cosby speaking to the media, whenever he opens his mouth, he digs himself in deeper.
nononono

Sun 21 Dec, 2014 05:15 am
@firefly,
firefly, you should have girltalk with Zerlina Maxwell. Perhaps while watching Oprah, and discussing how much you all hate men.
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Sun 21 Dec, 2014 02:01 pm
@firefly,
Let's not forget that it's also alleged a few times, that Cosby did a background check on some of these ladies or questioned them intensely about their background to establish their vulnerability. In addition to that, he befriended a few of their "Mother's" before making the move. A case of " you can't tell as your Mother will not believe you, she has met me, I'm the American Dad"...

Or that one of the girls rang a male friend whilst at Cosby's house hysterical and that he came to her aid and got her out of the Mansion.

SILENT RAPIST

Quote:
Some serial rapists are respected members of society who repeatedly take advantage of women and are able to target these individuals by putting them in a position of vulnerability, in sleep, and/or by compromising the person's judgement through the use of drugs and/or alcohol. They are never reported because the victim thinks somehow that there was a misunderstanding, giving the benefit of the doubt to the rapist. Because they do not consider it a rape themselves with the potential for embarrassment if they admit to "allowing" it to occur, a victim believes that their experience is an isolated event. There is never a collaboration among the victims, because they are unaware this is repeated experience for the perpetrator, who moves on to the next victim. This is the most controlled rapist because part of his satisfaction is his ability to get away with the crime without ever drawing an attention to the contrary. This type of rapist is "the silent rapist" because he is under the radar of everyone involved, except himself, and surprises his victim with his reputation. The victim considers him safe to be with because his background check is immaculate.
Miller

Sun 21 Dec, 2014 02:02 pm
"Go tell it on the mountain:!!
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Sun 21 Dec, 2014 02:20 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
Quote:
Bill Cosby has the right to remain silent — and that may be his best strategy.

Quote:
"Staying mostly silent may be the best tactic for him given the dangers of saying something that might be libellous," said Eugene Volokh, a law professor at University of California, Los Angeles.

Quote:
The age of the accusations is probably Cosby's best legal defence at this point, sparing him exposure to criminal charges, said attorney Mark Geragos, who has defended Chris Brown and Winona Ryder.

Similarly, Geragos thinks a judge will throw out a defamation suit brought by a woman who said Cosby effectively called her a liar in 2005 when he said her allegations of being drugged and fondled were false and that he didn't know her.

The job of Cosby's lawyer is to prevent a repeat of that scenario by keeping him out of the limelight so he doesn't breathe new life into old accusations, Geragos said. It's somewhat akin to a lawyer not having their client testify, which can expose them to battering cross examination.

"What you have is this inherent tension of dealing with his legacy versus his realistic jeopardy," Geragos said. "The reason you don't have him respond is you don't want to reinvigorate some legal action."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/bill-cosby-sex-accusations-met-with-intentional-silence-experts-1.2880389
hawkeye10

Sun 21 Dec, 2014 02:31 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
Yep, he is worth $350 million which needs to be protected, rebooting his career was always iffy, so far as his legacy goes there are years to get that right the important thing is that it goes right....no good reason to care much about current public opinion or the media gang bang.

The stories getting more ridiculous, the continued lack of proof of the charges, and his friends and family sticking with him has me down to 45/55 abuser/victim
hawkeye10

Sun 21 Dec, 2014 02:48 pm
@hawkeye10,
I said earlier that he does not seem to be following PR advice but as this piece points out he does seem to be following lawyer advice, which might be the smarter thing to do.
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Sun 21 Dec, 2014 04:25 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
and his friends and family sticking with him

*Rolf Harris trial: Entertainer's wife stands by her man
*Cosby's wife, Camille has been by his side and supporting him. ..

Where is the shock there? Nearly 50 years of knowing him as a "Dad" or "Husband" or "Friend"... That is all you know of him.

Quote:
Ex-NBC employee Frank Scotti claims Bill Cosby paid off women, invited young models to dressing room as he stood guard.Ex-NBC employee Frank Scotti claims Bill Cosby paid off women, invited young models to dressing room as he stood guard.“He had everybody fooled,” said Scotti in an exclusive interview with the Daily News. “Nobody suspected.”

Scotti came forward last week with his insider’s look at Cosby’s womanizing ways during the magical 1984-92 run of “The Cosby Show.”
“I was suspicious that something was going on,” said Scotti. “I suspected that he was having sex with them because the other person he was sending money to (Thompson) he was definitely having sex with.

“Why else would he be sending money?” Scotti asked. “He was sending these women $2,000 a month. What else could I think?”
Scotti, who lives in Lakewood, N.J., saved copies of money orders from the era detailing his payouts to four of the Cosby women.

He recalled Cosby presenting him with “a satchel of money, all $100 bills,” and pressing Scotti to distribute the payments using money orders in his own name.

“I did a lot of crazy things for him,” recalled Scotti. “He was covering himself by having my name on it. It was a coverup. I realized it later.”
Scotti said Cosby also had an arrangement with a Manhattan modeling agency in which the owner would deliver young women to his dressing room. Some of the aspiring models were as young as 16, Scotti said.

“‘I want you to keep that one girl here,’ ” Scotti quoted Cosby as telling him. “ ‘I want to interview her for a part in the show.’”

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/bill-cosby-paid-women-ex-nbc-employee-article-1.2020464

This guy is 90 years of age. One would suggest at that age, you have nothing to gain by making the above claims/statements.

These were "young" girls from 16. You tell someone to guard a door when you have a "child" inside?

As for giving them money, it could be to keep them quiet although a rapist that gives drugs to obtain what he is after is clever. In those days, if a girl had alcohol or drugs in her system and cried rape, she would be discredited in fact now as well. But, more so back then. Or, he could have given it to them for their education to become someone because that was what he was all about. So then, did you believe that these wanna be actresses were nothing, Playboy bunnies, wanna be's, non educated, worthless.

Quote:
Darren Sharper Darren Sharper enjoyed 14 years playing in the NFL before switching careers to commentating on the sport he loved. But his career on the field and in front of the cameras has been sidelined and all attention is being given to the charges he is currently facing. Earlier this year the former Green Bay Packer was arrested for sexual assault in California. He is also facing subsequent charges in Louisiana and Arizona after several women came forward to accuse Sharper of drugging and taking advantage of them after they passed out. He’s currently being held in Los Angeles and faces extradition to New Orleans and Arizona to stand court for the other charges. -

Quote:
Alex Da Silva Dancer and choreographer Alex Da Silva was perhaps best known for his work on Fox’s “So You Think You Can Dance.” That is until he was arrested on four charges of rape, two counts of assault with attempt to rape and two counts of rape with a forcible object. Da Silva was adamant the charges were false and the women were simply trying to extort money from him. However, the 45-year-old was found guilty of raping a woman in 2002 and assault with the intent to commit rape involving another woman in 2009 and was sentenced to 10 years in prison -

'Sons Of Guns' Star Will Hayden Indicted On Multiple Rape Charges.

Quote:

Hayden is accused of raping two preteen girls, according to the Advocate. He is accused of raping a girl in East Baton Rouge beginning in March 2013, when she was 11 years old, until August 2014.

Additionally, a woman, who is now in her 30s, also came forward claiming Hayden raped her in the 1990s when she was 12 years old, the Advocate reported. She told detectives she was staying with Hayden's family at the time of the alleged assault because her house had burned down.

In late August, Hayden was arrested as a fugitive and charged with aggravated rape. That marked the second time the Red Jacket Firearms founder was arrested that month. In early August, he was arrested on charges of child molestation and crimes against nature, but released on $150,000 bail.

The victim told police at the time that "the alleged acts occurred almost daily, but [the victim] didn't report them because Hayden made threats," according to CBS affiliate WAFB.

The reality star's eldest daughter, Stephanie Hayden Ford, initially defended her father. However, in a September interview with Dr. Phil, she revealed her father had touched her inappropriately when she was 12 years old.

"I decided to appear on 'Dr. Phil' to tell my story exclusively because I know he would take it seriously," Ford said in a statement to Fox News. "With my father now in jail, everyone in my family and in our company are now talking openly for the first time. I have nothing to gain from this exclusive interview, but to begin living in truth and getting help for myself and my sister. I just pray that our story will somehow prevent another victim from staying silent."

You don't believe that this exists Hawkeye? Here are three, three only actors that have been sentenced with the last one, denying it "his daughter" until he went to jail, then there was no more fear for her, she could finally let it go.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-507622/Stallones-fury-ex-love-Janice-Dickinsons-steroid-claims.html

It's fair to state that perhaps not all 20+ ladies are telling the truth, some will come for fame and only the investigations will show if the stories continue to seemingly be consistent or whether there are any other previous possible lies told by any of the ladies that could prove to therefore not be trustworthy of truth.

However, in my opinion, if he drugged just one and had his way, naturally he raped someone. There is not 50/50, 45/55. It's not about the numbers it's about using power and taking from any woman.

firefly

Sun 21 Dec, 2014 04:31 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
I agree that remaining silent is probably his best legal strategy--but I think his lawyer has to remain silent as well, because his comments are also keeping this scandal in the news, as are comments by Camille Cosby.

His reputation is forever tarnished, there's no way of undoing that, and, at 77, reviving his career would have to be put on hold, and he realistically doesn't have a lot of time to wait until all of this blows over. He probably should cancel the rest of his scheduled stand-up performances and just stay out of the public eye until the dust settles from all of the allegations---however long that takes.

His accusers have accomplished their goal of exposing him as a serial sexual predator, something that 13 of them were willing to do in 2005 when they were prepared to testify about him in the civil suit he wound up settling before it could get to trial. That group, for me, has the most credibility, and they are his most damning and damaging accusers. And now that they have exposed him, they really have nothing further to gain. 50 more women could come forward with more accusations and it really won't matter because it won't change the unsavory picture of Cosby the public has already gotten.

Unmasking what the real Bill Cosby is like, underneath his carefully constructed good guy public persona, is probably the worst punishment that could be delivered to him, particularly at this late time in his life, and, as far as justice goes, I'd consider it sufficient in this particular case--his reputation and legacy have been forever altered, and those are the things that really matter to him. This is one situation he can't buy his way out of, or use his influence to hush up.

hawkeye10

Sun 21 Dec, 2014 04:37 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
Unmasking what the real Bill Cosby is like, underneath his carefully constructed good guy public persona, is probably the worst punishment that could be delivered to him

And underneath decades of hard work for the greater good, right? Have you done in your life even 5% of the good deeds that Cosby has done? Doubtful, because few have.
hawkeye10

Sun 21 Dec, 2014 04:44 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
Quote:
Scotti came forward last week with his insider’s look at Cosby’s womanizing ways during the magical 1984-92 run of “The Cosby Show.”
“I was suspicious that something was going on,” said Scotti. “I suspected that he was having sex with them because the other person he was sending money to (Thompson) he was definitely having sex with.

Having sex with women does not indicate a rapist. Neither does being generous with gifting money. Even if everything this guy says is true there is no indication that Cosby is a bad guy. Sure, he might have been violating his agreements with Camille, but we dont know that, and it is none of our business.
firefly

Sun 21 Dec, 2014 05:10 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
And underneath decades of hard work for the greater good, right? Have you done in your life even 5% of the good deeds that Cosby has done? Doubtful, because few have.

Other than his philanthropy, what exactly has he done for the "greater good"?

He's had a very successful career in the entertainment industry, not something I'd rank with finding a cure for cancer. And most high-earning celebrities also engage in some form of philanthropy, and set up charitable foundations, because it provides a tax shelter or tax deduction for them. If he wasn't using some of his vast wealth for philanthropic purposes, more of it would simply go to the IRS.

And even those, like Spelman College, that have generously benefited from his philanthropy, no longer want his name associated with their school, ditto for Temple University, and several other schools, and the U.S. Navy has taken back the honor they had bestowed upon him. "Good deeds" do not eradicate the heinous deeds one may have also engaged in.

I've probably done as many good deeds in my life, if not more, than he has done, relative to my means, and I've never abused or harmed anyone.
hawkeye10

Sun 21 Dec, 2014 05:22 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
Other than his philanthropy, what exactly has he done for the "greater good"?

Cosby's philanthropy is not of the "make a PSA and sign a check" variety, he has put in serious work and time. Also, his work on education can not even remotely be called philanthropy, he has been using his education to attempt to drive the field. Ditto for his work on black culture. This is about moving the ball not about sending money.
FOUND SOUL

Sun 21 Dec, 2014 05:29 pm
@hawkeye10,

Quote:
Having sex with women does not indicate a rapist

Quote:
Scotti said Cosby also had an arrangement with a Manhattan modelling agency in which the owner would deliver young women to his dressing room. Some of the aspiring models were as young as 16, Scotti said.

Don't waste your breathe Hawkeye you continually miss the age of these "women"....

And, the age of him at the time of the allegations .
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Sun 21 Dec, 2014 05:31 pm
@firefly,
I agree that the lawyer is talking too much and on-going saying the same ol things he would be better of saying nothing.

When 3 separate people state "15, 16" in this case, it urks me to no end.

His daughter's face-book page is riddled with snip bits of people standing up for Cosby. The daughter who got into drugs, the daughter who he not only dissed but put her out into the Media at the time he was being accused of something simular so that all the attention went on her. The Father who was so demanding on success in life. I guess she would stand up for him, Daddy's approval finally.

0 Replies

firefly

Sun 21 Dec, 2014 05:46 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:

Cosby's philanthropy is not of the "make a PSA and sign a check" variety, he has put in serious work and time...

That doesn't change the fact he may well have been drugging and sexually assaulting women in between writing those charitable checks...

Moment-in-Time

Sun 21 Dec, 2014 10:34 pm
@firefly,
Quote:

That doesn't change the fact he may well have been drugging and sexually assaulting women in between writing those charitable checks...

....also looking for any **opening/opportunity** to ply his filthy depraved secret.
0 Replies