Bill Cosby accused of Rape - say it ain't so

firefly

Wed 19 Nov, 2014 05:48 pm
Well, Cosby is starting to suffer the fallout from all of these multiple allegations.

NBC announced it is pulling the plug on the new series it was developing for him, and Netflix has put his planned stand-up specials on hold.

farmerman

Wed 19 Nov, 2014 05:51 pm
@firefly,
Ill never eat Jello pudding again without thinking about this viscous predator
glitterbag

Wed 19 Nov, 2014 05:59 pm
Truthfully, I would never have thought Cosby would have been so reckless or cruel. I'm still waiting for something more concrete. But if these allegations are true, I'll be sorely disappointed.
firefly

Wed 19 Nov, 2014 06:15 pm
@glitterbag,
I don't think we're likely to get anything more concrete, gb.

It's the number of women, who have nothing to gain at this point, who have come forward, all with similar stories of having been drugged and raped by him in the past.

With that much smoke, a lot of people do figure there must be a fire.

It seems his power and clout enabled him to be reckless--he felt safe in a cocoon of protection.
djjd62

Wed 19 Nov, 2014 07:23 pm
it seems that using substances to take advantage of women comes naturally to the Cos'

djjd62

Wed 19 Nov, 2014 07:25 pm
@djjd62,
and how ironic the name of the album
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Wed 19 Nov, 2014 07:33 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:
it seems that using substances to take advantage of women comes naturally to the Cos'

Oh Please, back in the 1970 pills advertised to get females hot and/or compliant were advertised in the back of Boys Life. Boys! Life!

Spanish fly was supposed to make women want you, it was not intended to knock females out so that men could take advantage of them.
djjd62

Wed 19 Nov, 2014 07:38 pm
@hawkeye10,
as a wise man once said

lighten up francis
0 Replies

glitterbag

Wed 19 Nov, 2014 09:09 pm
@firefly,
I'm just so tired of being disappointed. I'm tired of learning of duplicitous behaviour.
roger

Wed 19 Nov, 2014 09:10 pm
@glitterbag,
Me too.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Wed 19 Nov, 2014 09:31 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

I'm just so tired of being disappointed. I'm tired of learning of duplicitous behaviour.

You will be much better off if you ever learn that we are all sinners. Unrealistic expectations is your problem.
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Wed 19 Nov, 2014 10:18 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Spanish fly was supposed to make women want you, it was not intended to knock females out

I guess he thought he'd double the dose then hey Hawk, even worse.
hawkeye10

Wed 19 Nov, 2014 10:26 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
Attitudes change, back then it was considered pretty acceptable to secretly add something to a womans drink to get her motor primed and ready, because women were well known to have trouble in that department.

Lets not judge the 1969 Bill Cosby by 2014 moral standards. In any case what these women are accusing Bill Cosby of drugging them with is most certainly not Spanish Fly...which as near as I can tell was always a marketing scam not an effective erotic drug anyways.
roger

Wed 19 Nov, 2014 10:39 pm
@hawkeye10,
That may have been your attitude back then. . . .
0 Replies

firefly

Wed 19 Nov, 2014 11:02 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Attitudes change, back then it was considered pretty acceptable to secretly add something to a womans drink to get her motor primed and ready, because women were well known to have trouble in that department .

You might have considered such things acceptable, but it was never considered "pretty acceptable" on any general level. It was considered just as unacceptable then, as it is now, to secretly add something to a woman's drink to make her more sexually receptive. And this sort of thing occurred so infrequently, it was never any major source of concern that I can recall.

What Cosby is accused of doing is slipping these women "a mickey" to knock them out.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mickey_Finn_(drugs)

Drugs such as chloral hydrate were liberally prescribed by physicians for insomnia, they weren't controlled substances back then, and they were easily available to pretty much everyone who wanted them. From what the women have described, in terms of the effects, Cosby likely used chloral hydrate with alcohol for a classic Mickey Finn.

hawkeye10

Wed 19 Nov, 2014 11:05 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
You might have considered such things acceptable, but it was never considered "pretty acceptable" on any general level. It was considered just as unacceptable then, as it is now, to secretly add something to a woman's drink to make her more sexually receptive.

I grew up in a conservative midwest medium sized city, if it was OK there is was ok most everywhere. Spiking punch with everclear and the like without telling the ladies was the most common tactic, but there were others.
firefly

Wed 19 Nov, 2014 11:15 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
I grew up in a conservative midwest medium sized city, if it was OK there is was ok most everywhere...Spiking punch with everclear and the like without telling the ladies was the most common tactic, but there were others.

Then you probably hung out with the guys who thought that sort of thing was acceptable--the way many frat boys today think it's okay to take sexual advantage of a very intoxicated woman (i.e. sexually assault/rape her), and they reinforce that attitude in each other..

It was never considered, "ok most everywhere" to secretly put something in a woman's drink, or in the punch at a party, to facilitate getting in women's pants. And spiking of drinks was such an infrequent general occurrence, it wasn't anything women even talked about, or worried about. But it was something no decent guy would have done.
hawkeye10

Wed 19 Nov, 2014 11:35 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
You might have considered such things acceptable, but it was never considered "pretty acceptable" on any general level. It was considered just as unacceptable then, as it is now, to secretly add something to a woman's drink to make her more sexually receptive.

I know what the reality were I lived was. And though we were often without much money because by dad was a alcoholic who tended to spend his money on himself I went to the best high school in town with the best brains/athletics in town, and with most of the children of the wealthy in town as well. A lot of these kids were expected to go places, there were not stupid and they were not going to **** it up by doing something that was considered unacceptable enough to get them in trouble.

" hey guys, what is in this punch?" ..."Oh some champagne, juice, ginger ale and a splash of rum" The fifth of everclear we did not talk about.

Same when we went to the bar to get the lady a drink, we would tell the bartender make us something sweet and high octane. When (if) she asked what it was we would give the name and say "it is not very strong".

Did the girls know we were lying? All but the stupid ones I'll bet. It was a game we played. It was acceptable.
firefly

Wed 19 Nov, 2014 11:43 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
. It was a game we played. It was acceptable.

Only for the ethically challenged.
hawkeye10

Wed 19 Nov, 2014 11:46 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

Quote:
. It was a game we played. It was acceptable.

Only for the ethically challenged.

We dont all put on the purity act that you do. Other than you being a complete liar I dont know what your sins/vices are, but I am confident that you dont suffer from a shortage.