Bill Cosby accused of Rape - say it ain't so

ossobuco

Wed 3 Dec, 2014 06:01 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
I was teasing you/ruffling feathers by asking why you're no feminist.

I figure we differ on what that means.

I'm not following all this closely, it's sort of a sore subject, but I'll read up re what I've missed, every once in a while.
0 Replies

firefly

Wed 3 Dec, 2014 06:06 pm
@hawkeye10,
When over 20 women are describing similar incidents, and similar patterns, a jury certainly can determine who is the more credible, the plaintiff or the defendant.
Germlat

Wed 3 Dec, 2014 07:41 pm
@firefly,
I initially thought it was ridiculous and thought someone was merely trying to extract money from the man....he portrayed such a clean, fatherly type on TV. But--given all the similarities in the cases, (even Raven Symone who played Olivia on the Cosby Show has also come forward) I think there is some truth to the allegations. I think women trusted him and put themselves in vulnerable situations with him....Then realized nobody would believe them, no witnesses , voluntarily accompanying him, etc. and with that wonderful clean image he had. I watched a documentary on the Playboy mansion in which it was mentioned he was a frequent guest there..I thought it odd as to his career image. It seemed to clashed with his public persona. At the end of the documentary a staff member described the Playboy mansion as more of a Boutique hotel, where the rich and famous got whatever they wanted.
hawkeye10

Wed 3 Dec, 2014 08:15 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

When over 20 women are describing similar incidents, and similar patterns, a jury certainly can determine who is the more credible, the plaintiff or the defendant.

will they also hear from the 16,893 women who have been in the same room with Bill Cosby and claim that he never did anything wrong?
firefly

Wed 3 Dec, 2014 08:34 pm
@hawkeye10,
The fact that there are women he's never sexually abused or raped is supposed to mean something? Laughing That's really one of the most idiotic comments you've ever made.
0 Replies

firefly

Wed 3 Dec, 2014 08:47 pm
@Germlat,
Just to set the record straight, Raven Symone has not accused him of doing anything to her. Her name had gotten dragged into this by rumors, and by something posted on a parody site, and she came forward to deny that he had ever molested her while she was on The Cosby Show, and to say she wants to be kept out of what is going on with him now.

Other than an alleged incident in the green room of the Tonight Show, Cosby apparently confined his inappropriate sexual behaviors to purely social situations, and behaved himself while he was working and with his co-stars
Germlat

Wed 3 Dec, 2014 08:49 pm
@hawkeye10,
Seriously? What about all the women that a convicted serial rapist met but didn't rape. They are selective and opportunistic predators.
hawkeye10

Wed 3 Dec, 2014 08:56 pm
@Germlat,
Germlat wrote:

Seriously? What about all the women that a convicted serial rapist met but didn't rape. They are selective and opportunistic predators.
Bill Cosby in 77 years has never even been on trial, much less convicted. He has however been the target of shake down attempts. If I am judging a civil case and need to get to being 51% sure that Cosby was playing with a 17 year old in 1974 I am going to need a lot more than 20 women claiming Cosby was not right by them. A lot more actually.
Germlat

Wed 3 Dec, 2014 09:03 pm
@firefly,
You're right...that was apparently a bad source. Since you pointed it out, I've gone back and read that she has denied that. There have been plenty of accusations which have been televised and documented for purpose of civil prosecution. He certainly seems to have an m.o. I guess at this point I wouldn't put much past him.
0 Replies

Germlat

Wed 3 Dec, 2014 09:10 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Germlat wrote:

Bill Cosby in 77 years has never even been on trial, much less convicted. He has however been the target of shake down attempts. If I am judging a civil case and need to get to being 51% sure that Cosby was playing with a 17 year old in 1974 I am going to need a lot more than 20 women claiming Cosby was not right by them. A lot more actually.

So you think all these women want a shakedown...Janice Dickinson, a lawyer, women from all walks of life? Simply because a person hasn't been caught doesn't mean that person is innocent. Interesting thing--after some came forward with allegations of child abuse against a particular priest, many others developed the courage to also come forward....it's a behavior common in people that have been abused. There are criminals who never get caught.
firefly

Wed 3 Dec, 2014 09:20 pm
@hawkeye10,
According to the current suit filed against Cosby, she was 15, not 17. This case is shocking because she's accusing him of child molestation.
Quote:
Bill Cosby in 77 has never even been on trial, much less convicted..

He was involved in a shakedown only once, by a woman who claimed she was his daughter--and he had actually had an affair with her mother. That woman did go to jail for extortion. That case had nothing to do with sexual assault/rape allegations.

On the issue of sexual assault/rape, he already paid a settlement in a 2005 civil suit, and there were 13 other women prepared to testify against him in that one. He had to settle that one--he couldn't risk going to trial. He couldn't risk having to testify.

Having escaped criminal charges doesn't mean he's innocent, it just means he's managed to elude the criminal justice system--as is the case with most acquaintance rapists.

In the court of public opinion he's already been convicted...if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...these women sound credible, and they continue to come forward, all with similar stories...and, finally, people are taking seriously what they are saying about him.
hawkeye10

Wed 3 Dec, 2014 09:20 pm
@Germlat,
I think Cosby violated women, but that does not get me to anything close to 51% that an individual claim of violation is true. 20 women making claims get me to " OK, it is not off the wall crazy this idea that you were abused by Bill Cosby. Tell me more, show me more".

Claims being the similar does not do anything for me either, because if I was going to make up a claim against a rich guy that I was trying to get money out of I would tell a story much like other people are telling. All these claims being much the same is just as easily evidence that they are fake as they are evidence that they are true.
hawkeye10

Wed 3 Dec, 2014 09:23 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
He already paid a settlement in a 2005 civil suit, and there were 13 other women prepared to testify against him in that one. He had to settle that one--he couldn't risk going to trial. He couldn't risk having to testify.

Are you aware that the belief among many today that Michael Jackson settled a child abuse case not because he was guilty but because he was emotionally fragile and did not think he could stand a trial, and that the money he used to make it go away did not count as much of a loss?

You cant make assumptions about why Cosby settled, and you dont know.
0 Replies

firefly

Wed 3 Dec, 2014 09:47 pm
@hawkeye10,
The women coming forward now are not trying to get money out of him--they are beyond the statute of limitations for both civil and criminal prosecutions.

The lawsuit filed yesterday, involving child molestation, seems like a creative legal end run around the statute of limitations, less to get money from him, and more to force him into a courtroom where he'll have to testify. And that was reinforced by what Gloria Allred (who now represents two or three new accusers) said today--it's time for accountability and justice. If anyone can get him into a courtroom, it will be Allred.

An innocent man should welcome having his day in court, because continuing to let this mushroom through the internet and the media, while he remains silent, is completely destroying his legacy and reputation.

I'm sure that having to resign from the Board of Trustees of Temple University, because of all of these allegations, must really have hurt him. He's losing things that really matter to him. And he stands to lose even more.

I wonder how his own 4 daughters feel about the things their father is accused of doing.
FOUND SOUL

Wed 3 Dec, 2014 09:59 pm
@firefly,
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/11272221/Bill-Cosby-accusers-say-comedian-should-have-100m-ready-for-victims.html

Their lawyer is Smile

hawkeye10

Wed 3 Dec, 2014 10:08 pm
@firefly,
A fly on the wall most likely sees more heated debate in the family about what Camille has done and should do then about Bill.
0 Replies

firefly

Wed 3 Dec, 2014 10:16 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
Gloria Allred is challenging him to waive the statute of limitations and go to trial. Smile

She's a very smart cookie, and a damn good lawyer, and a real defender of women's rights. I can believe her when she says the aim is accountability and justice.
ossobuco

Wed 3 Dec, 2014 10:18 pm
@firefly,
It is probably a mess for the daughters.

I've only empathy, whatever they say.
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Wed 3 Dec, 2014 10:19 pm
@firefly,
Just briefly read it, still working. Smile

I read that as well, like as if, he would do that....

I'm wishing her luck!!

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Wed 3 Dec, 2014 10:41 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
Gloria Allred is challenging him to waive the statute of limitations and go to trial

Is he supposed to look bad if he says no?

THAT'S RICH!