Cheating on your spouse/partner

sozobe

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 09:26 am
I think if she maintains her resolve -- there seems to be an element of, VHB is VH, and nice, and a little tempting -- it should be fine. Obviously if VHB does anything inappropriate, he should be called on it. But I've known a lot of these brother pairs, and "get the girlfriend from brother" is a common dynamic, even if unconscious.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 09:52 am
Hmm, Sofia. Lessee, VH doesn't seem to be crossing any line, exactly, what with being all deferential and nice to her - that's a little hard to complain about, as in "stop being so nice!" There must be some tension in the air...

Is your daughter interested in VHB? Not that I blame her, but attraction from her, even if slight, would add to the tension. If she isn't interested, that will eventually dawn on VHB and, I would think, the tension with the brothers would diminish over time, at least about this situation. If she is interested, hmmm, another problemo.
0 Replies

Granny Weatherwax

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 10:42 am
Diane wrote:
Doglover agrees that affairs can be no more sinful that cheating on taxes, stealing, etc. Then nimh replied that the impact of an affair is much greater. That's the rub, I guess.

The rub is everyone involved gets cheated out of a committed relationship. An affair affects everyone negatively directly or indirectly. I hate when one tries to justify their lack of character by comparing their sin on a scale to other sins.
0 Replies

Granny Weatherwax

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 10:48 am
plainoldme wrote:
My son, now 19, learned the hard way that cheating on a girlfriend doesn't pay. He was seeing two girls at once and I warned him about all of the consequences of that and said that the girls knew what was going on and that he had better decide on one or break off both relationships. Well, both girls exploded at him. As the one said, "Why wasn't I enough for you? What is wrong with me that I wasn't enough?"

He hasn't been able to connect with a girl since, and the cheating went on two years ago. He's been lonely: so I hope he's learned his lesson.

Does he socialize with the same friends? Word could have spread between them.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 11:17 am
Sofia, I think Osso got right to the sticking point. Tension does seem to be in the air, in addition to the "nice" behavior.
It might be a good idea for you to ask her to look closely and honestly at her own feelings.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 11:43 am
Love each other, "just like brother's"....HAH!

Sophia in your daughter's position, in public, I would either blatantly flirt with the VHB or blatantly be devoted to the guy what brung me to the family picnic--or both. Subtle is wasted effort. She might even ask their mother--in a loud clear voice--if the "boys" have always been competitive.

As a Mother of Sons, I suspect that the VHB is trying to be provocative. If he were younger, the word would be "bratty". Meanwhile your daughter's swain (I presume the younger brother) is getting his buttons pushed.

In private, have her ask her swain whether VHB really thinks that women will all find him irresistable. Let him know that she really appreciates openness and honesty.

If she discovers that VHB uncaps great wells of insecurity in her swain, perhaps she should do some thinking about the relationship. After all, she'd marry the whole family--and all of the family past.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 11:46 am
It is quite clear to me that Osso and Noddy should start a Dear Abbey sort of thread.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 11:49 am
And, you too Diane!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 11:54 am
Nah, at least I have been off the mark on several occasions.
What we have is a group of Abbys. Hmm, a group abyss. An accoutrement of abbesses. Oh, never mind, I have to go to work now.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 01:15 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Hmm, Sofia. Lessee, VH doesn't seem to be crossing any line, exactly, what with being all deferential and nice to her - that's a little hard to complain about, as in "stop being so nice!" There must be some tension in the air...

You've got it, here. Nothing other than too much 'host-type' politieness has occurred--yet the younger brother (yes, Noddy--the boyfriend) has become angry about it. The younger is short, and not immediately recognizable as handsome, while the VHB is tall, thin, blond and ripped... My daughter agrees with me that going after a brother is below her standards--and is not interested in pursuing. She realizes it may be older bro's competition more than attraction to her...yet, the tension mounts each time she is with the family. So, there IS no infraction she can point to.

Is your daughter interested in VHB? Not that I blame her, but attraction from her, even if slight, would add to the tension. If she isn't interested, that will eventually dawn on VHB and, I would think, the tension with the brothers would diminish over time, at least about this situation. If she is interested, hmmm, another problemo.

I think you are right. If she takes VHB aside--younger bf would probably not believe she was asking him to think of his brother's feelings, and it would open an 'intimacy of sorts' between them--discussing such a personal matter.... I don't think she should acknowledge it--but as you say--I think I will suggest that she doesn't show interest (less smiling), and let it die down. It's just quite a sticky situation for my baby.

Thanks all, for your thoughts
0 Replies