Cheating on your spouse/partner

no logo

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 07:40 pm
Sometimes it's sex - definitely - like when I am thinking of other women. I think every guy does that.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 07:40 pm
Huh. Have to think about that one. Depends on definitions, I guess.

I'd say some of each.

What I like about marriage -- well, one of the things (at this rate I'm so asking for a fight or something -- no it's not all perfect but do I generally really like being married) is a study I read someplace about the beneficial hormones that are released when people who have been happily married for years and years hold hands. It doesn't have to be a deep gazing-into-each-others' eyes thing, just regular holding hands. These hormones (hormones? endorphins? chemicals?) are not present when a new couple holds hands -- it's not holding hands, per se. It's something that comes only after years of a loving relationship.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 07:42 pm
no logo, way to torpedo your case.

-sigh-
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 07:46 pm
Sozobe - comfort and ease. But, you don't need marriage for that. It's more a result of time spent with a loving partner.

Ok, let's stay off-topic for a while. What about the idea of marriage. If you're like me and don't want kids, marriage becomes an option rather than an aim. I can see being happy in my serial monogamy. My biggest concern is being old alone. But, marriage isn't a guarantee that that won't happen anyway.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 07:49 pm
What I was getting at was a bit more than comfort and ease... it was about the connection that is physical in more than the expected ways, among other things. (I think... just seemed a resonant image, to me.)

If you can see being happy in serial monogamy, that's cool. Nothing wrong with it, no reason that everyone has to marry, at all. I'm mostly trying to address the perceived negatives about marriage (?) -- that he'll just cheat, that everyone will get fat and lazy ("comfort" can be a icky idea), etc.
0 Replies

no logo

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 07:50 pm
Why cant serial monagamy work for u? If you can imagine you can dream you are with someone else and escape the physical moment.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 07:50 pm
Something I once heard in a movie, or read, really struck me about marriage--although it was about friendship. It really applies for me to my marriage.

A friend is someone who witnesses your life.

Even tho my marriage was sheer Hell for a while, I can't imagine knowing anyone better--or anyone who could know me better. It is neat to be able to speak and be understood with a look. It is, to me, irreplaceable to know someone inside and out--and to be known so.

This Indian Summer or early Autumn of my marriage has been a lot like settling into my forties. After the heat and emotion and tempers subside, the most blissful, calm, knowing relationship evolves. It couldn't happen for us earlier. It was so worth the wait.

This is one reason I think marriage, and sticking with a marriage, is so underrated.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 07:53 pm
Sofia - I agree that sticking it through is a good thing to do. A great learning experience for all involved.

I have nothing wrong with serial monogamy.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 07:59 pm
Lovely post, Sofia. Really lovely. I couldn't have said it better.
0 Replies

no logo

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 08:01 pm
Yes Sofia that just about hits the Palestinian with the helicopter launched missile.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 08:16 pm
Granny Weatherwax wrote:
I wouldn't dream of cheating. It's betrayal whether your spouse knows or not...

I'm with you, kiddo.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 08:18 pm
Me too, eoe and granny
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 08:25 pm
no logo wrote:
Yes Sofia that just about hits the Palestinian with the helicopter launched missile.

This has gotten flashback laughs from me three times already.
Four.
Thanks.
------------

Eva--
Thanks. I meant it to be mildly conversational--but as I was writing it, it gave me a really nice reflective moment about our marriage. I do have more to be thankful for than I think of sometimes.
-----------
edit--no logo. Make that five.
0 Replies

Kathi

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 09:10 pm
Sofia ~ what if instead of coming together into that blissful state in the autumn of the marriage, the two people are farther apart than ever?

And for those who don't understand why some couples choose to stay married, and still cheat...sometimes, it is very difficult financially, emotionally and even logistically to end a 25+ year marriage.

Life gets very complicated the older we get.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 09:13 pm
Kathi wrote:
Sofia ~ what if instead of coming together into that blissful state in the autumn of the marriage, the two people are farther apart than ever?

And for those who don't understand why some couples choose to stay married, and still cheat...sometimes, it is very difficult financially, emotionally and even logistically to end a 25+ year marriage.

I don't know about that...good meal...good poop....good sex....I'm a pretty uncomplicated bear myself......
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 09:20 pm
Wow, after reading this thread for the first time, I'm amazed at the responses and the honesty.

Sofia, I'm so glad you were able to make a new life with your husband. If I had been threatened with loss of my children, I don't know if I could have dealt with him without a rifle in my hands. LOL.

Later in the thread you quoted someone as saying,
"A friend is someone who witnesses your life." That so applies to a spouse or partner who can look at you as an individual and not ask you to acquire an image suitable to career or ideal--think 'corporate wife.'

Msolga's ideas of a disposable society and the need for the phase of exciting, romantic love over and over again, imo, is why many people don't get married (thank heaven). I'm sure it also makes for terminally unstable marriages.

Relative--I totally agree with you regarding the emphasis on sexual unfaithfulness by most religions, especially Christians. Maybe that's why so many well known religious leaders are caught with their knickers down around their ankles. There are so many forms of cheating that seem as bad or even much worse than sexual cheating.

When a father cheats his children out of time spent going on walks or tossing a few balls or talking about the world in terms they can understand or talking about success in ways other than making money--all seem to me to be much worse than having an affair on a spouse!! The same holds true for mothers. Spending more time on career or on organizations which advertize your value to the community, while ignoring the needs of your spouse or children is, to me, as bad as cheating.

Phoenix, your response to Dys was surprisingly patronizing. Thanks to nimh, for adding a little balance. It does go both ways and noone here knows all the hurtful details of anyone's relationships that ultimately factor into unfaithfulness or neglect.

Nimh said,
Quote:
a) would you have turned that around to the person in question just as instantly if it had been the woman that'd been cheated on? ("I trust you have learned now that most men need emotional confirmation and sexual gratification from their wife!"?
Well said!!

Littlek and others who wouldn't dream of cheating on their spouses; that applied to me, even after 34 years of marriage, after having become numb in order not to think about how unhappy I was. I didn't plan on cheating and I know how silly it sounds to say that it happened despite my strong aversion to cheating. Most of you know my story with Dys. I should have acted on my desire to divorce many years ago, but felt the marriage needed to be protected. I cheated, then divorced. I have never been so happy in my life. Each day just seems to get better and each day makes me realize just how bad my marriage was and how numb I had become. And how stupid I was to remain with someone for whom I no longer felt any closeness, simply for the safety and security. In some ways, I think I cheated my ex husband more by staying than by having extramarital sex with Dys.

There are so many ways of cheating that are so much worse than sex outside marriage, but they require more detail than any of us could go into without baring the most private details of our lives. Details that rightly should remain private.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 10:01 pm
Diane, but you did realize and then moved on. You didn't stay and continue to have affairs. I guess it is in no way a clear-cut thing.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 10:40 am
Kathi wrote:

It's funny. I'd think aside from the earliest years in a marriage, before children are in the picture--the 25 year mark would be a GREAT time to divorce! Your kids are grown and self-sufficient. You are established in careers, and certainly more emotionally stable than when you were younger. If you get to a 25 year anniversary--and haven't BEEN happy, and still AREN'T happy... Good God, get a divorce. Move to Italy.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 11:13 am
Edgar Lee Masters said it pretty well through the eyes of "bliss":

Mrs. Charles Bliss
by Edgar Lee Masters .

Reverend Wiley advised me not to divorce him
For the sake of the children,
And Judge Somers advised him the same.
So we stuck to the end of the path.
But two of the children thought he was right,
And two of the children thought I was right.
And the two who sided with him blamed me,
And the two who sided with me blamed him,
And they grieved for the one they sided with.
And all were torn with the guilt of judging,
And tortured in soul because they could not admire
Equally him and me.
Now every gardener knows that plants grown in cellars
Or under stones are twisted and yellow and weak.
And no mother would let her baby suck
Diseased milk from her breast.
Yet preachers and judges advise the raising of souls
Where there is no sunlight, but only twilight,
No warmth, but only dampness and cold --
Preachers and judges!
0 Replies

Granny Weatherwax

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 11:37 am
Kathi wrote:

It gets complicated because we make the wrong choices for the wrong reasons.

The reasons you give for staying and cheating are very immature and selfish IMO.
0 Replies