The next two years are going to be fun...

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 12:13 pm
I am sorry that the Democrats did so badly... in truth I would have like them to have kept the Senate rather than getting trounced so dramatically. that being said....

Now the Republicans have both houses of Congress, they are going to have to govern. I think this is going to be fun to watch.

I am looking forward to see McConnell and Boehner (and Cruz for the tea party) explain why they can't do anything productive when they don't have Harry Reid to blame.

I think that the person happiest with the results last night (secretly of course) is named Hillary.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 20 • Views: 2,731 • Replies: 60

roger

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 12:38 pm
@maxdancona,
I'm just cynical enough to think you are likely right.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 12:45 pm
I really can't work out American politics. Why would a system potentially allow a major world power to carry on in a sort of limbo for two years before sorting out the whole thing?
If our PM lost the unanimous or coalition majority in the House, a General Election would be immediately called and a new government formed.

Basically what happened over there was a vote of no confidence in the President, no?

He no longer has the majority in either House, so why doesn't he go?
Setanta

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 12:50 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Your system does not have an independent executive. Cameron is the PM, and he is also of member of the House of Commons. The American system has an independent executive. The president is elected independently of the Congress. There have been many time in our history when the people have given the White House to one party, and the Congress to a different party. It has not meant disaster. Yours system is not superior, it's just different.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 12:57 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Not really. Obama is really unpopular and that definitely had a big part in the loss of the Senate. But that isn't always the case and the president's part usually loses seats in the 6th year of their presidency.

There are a few of important things to know.

- Americans don't vote for a party. We vote for candidates. Politics are local and a good candidate can win (or a bad candidate can lose) in spite of their party.

- This is a mid-term election. Republicans tend to do well in mid-term elections. Democrats tend to do well when a president is being elected.

- Only 1 third of the Senate (the body of congress that flipped party control) was up for election this year.

Our system is clear. A president is elected for a 4 year term and except in extraordinary circumstances gets to serve out his term.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 12:58 pm
@Setanta,
Hello Sweetheart. Welcome to my thread.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 12:59 pm
@Setanta,
I'm not saying superior. It just comes across as .....unusual is a good word, that both Houses can be of one persuasion and the Boss belongs to the opposing camp.
Just watching the BBC News where some female politician is standing at the podium shouting "Now we're going to make 'em squeal".

It sounds as if there is going to be two years of infighting and point scoring by the top politicians, while the ordinary people just get on with their lives as best they can.
If they're not careful, the people may actually come to realise that they don't need half of those at the top at all, if all they seem to do is bat the ball back and fro all the time.
Setanta

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 12:59 pm
Now don't get all worked up like you did in that other thread, Max. You got so enraged you cmopletely f*cked up the quote function. Calm down, take a few deep breaths . . .
maxdancona

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 01:00 pm
@Setanta,
lol
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 01:03 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:
It sounds as if there is going to be two years of infighting and point scoring by the top politicians, while the ordinary people just get on with tgeir lives as best they can.

That is very likely what will happen. This is all against the backdrop of the teabaggers, who have introduced hysteria into the political conversation. What's kind of funny about it is that while the Congress obstructs, the president continues to govern. In effect, they're turning the government over to the executive branch. It will only really be a disaster if Mr. Obama doesn't have the balls to veto irresponsible legislation.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 01:06 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Now the Republicans have both houses of Congress, they are going to have to govern. I think this is going to be fun to watch.

Without repeating all my comments from the other thread, I think you are way off the mark here. We are going to see a stream of bills either filibustered in the Senate or vetoed by the President with the express purpose of proposing them being to pick fights with President Obama. The House has moved significantly to the right and McConnell can now make sure that floor votes are held on every Tea Party priority. I just can't see any possible way that we get any moderation out of this. I guess we'll circle back in two years and see what really happened.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 01:07 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
The next two years are going to be fun...

http://i59.tinypic.com/315ogzo.gif
Just think of about it. Stephen Colbert's last episode will be on December 18, 2014. He'll be doing his late night stick when these buffoons take over. Larry Wilmore has some tremendously large boots to fill in his place.

It's going to make the next two years that much more difficult to handle if Jon Stewart doesn't pick up the slack. Also there's a chance he might not renew his contract with Comedy Central at the end of 2015.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 01:17 pm
@engineer,
I agree with you Engineer (I think)

The Republicans are going to go off the rails. They have their own internal problems and speaking purely as a partisan, it is going to be fun to watch them try to sort out their own messes.

I am certainly not predicting moderation from the Republicans.

I do think the Democrats will continue to play to the center. You will see moderation from the Democrats (at least compared to what is coming from the Republicans).

The Republican party is a trainwreck. The point of this thread is that they will be accountable to the voters in a big way in two short years. They run the risk of boosting Obama's popularity ratings... if that happens you know that they have really screwed up.

coldjoint

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 01:50 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
when these buffoons take over.

And what are they taking over from? Obama has accomplished 0 that moves this country forward. He has divided the country and made political foes enemies subject to every form of abuse. That is not how it is supposed to work. His lack of basic respect for opponents has finally bit him in his worthless ass.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 02:46 pm
@maxdancona,
Not so fast. As witness the 2 digit IQ of our own pinky here, I am convinced that the voter is an easily impressed and swayed herd dweller.

Obama has been blamed for not cleaning up faster after the 2008 economic disasters. His policies have been successfully agendized by the phrase masters of the GOP and the DEMs were too stupid to not let it happen early in the game. The announced GOP agena was always to MAKE OBAMA FAIL.

NOW, the really big prize, that being 2016, needs to be developed from a postion of trength, not another 2 years of gridlock. I think the GOP will work its ass off to compromise with Obama and vise versa.
We have an "INTERREGNUM" a sort of "American Enlightenment" for the next 2 years (IMHO of course).
People will be walking over themselves to appear compromisesng and helping government work.

whatever
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 03:15 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Not so fast. As witness the 2 digit IQ of our own pinky here, I am convinced that the voter is an easily impressed and swayed herd dweller.

Obama has been blamed for not cleaning up faster after the 2008 economic disasters. His policies have been successfully agendized by the phrase masters of the GOP and the DEMs were too stupid to not let it happen early in the game. The announced GOP agena was always to MAKE OBAMA FAIL.

NOW, the really big prize, that being 2016, needs to be developed from a postion of trength, not another 2 years of gridlock. I think the GOP will work its ass off to compromise with Obama and vise versa.
We have an "INTERREGNUM" a sort of "American Enlightenment" for the next 2 years (IMHO of course).
People will be walking over themselves to appear compromisesng and helping government work.

whatever

Hope you are right.

Have very, very, very serious doubts.

The GOP is always in destruction mode...and they do not especially care who or what is being destroyed. They would prefer that Barack Obama and the Democrat Party be destroyed...but if it has to be America...all Americans...the world...or the GOP itself...

...they will settle for that.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSE-zT8O21mlYIZz_OW6-Ap0hQOYSp2go7ew-LsyjSgkDd8ten2
farmerman

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 03:19 pm
@Frank Apisa,
that of course is IYHO
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 03:21 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

that of course is IYHO

Thanks, FM. I should have added that.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 03:24 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:

Are you speaking of the Black Democrat? Looks like they were too busy. And a blowhole like yourself should not insult people. It makes you look even more emasculated.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 03:59 pm
@coldjoint,
If it makes you feel any better Coldjoint, I don't believe you have a 2 digit IQ.
0 Replies