The next two years are going to be fun...

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 05:26 pm
@maxdancona,
It's pretty typical for partisans from both sides to dig deeply to find the pony.

The GOP controlled congress might easily screw the pooch, but it looks like they've learned some lessons. You'll note that this election cycle's gaffes were almost all from Dems. Somehow they managed to prevent Todd Aikens' implosions.

It's pretty silly to expect the legislative branch to govern.

They will send a lot of bills to Obama, and we'll see what he does.

One of the first ones will involve the Keystone Pipeline. He might veto it just out of pique. That would be a mistake.

Even if one is among the irrational partisans who believe that Tea Party "members" are the personification of evil, one should be capable of understanding that, at the very least, there are millions of evil Americans who disagree.

I suspect that even the most fervent of conservatives in congress understand that the real prize comes in 2016. I doubt they are going to rock the boat so roughly that the GOP actually screws that pooch.

If Obama's decline continues, as I feel sure it will, it will not be good news for Hillary. She can try to distance herself from him, but that will only work so far. He's a Democrat and she's a Democrat. If in the next two years his approval goes down further, Democrats's approval does too.

She doesn't have a fraction of the charisma Obama or her husband had. She's gaffe prone and dull on the stump. The nation isn't going to see her as a reflection of something brand new in 2016.

In this election cycle she did nothing positive for Dem candidates.

Obama can make the way easier for her by pulling a "Bill" move to the center, but I doubt he will.

It's really stupid to assume that either party doesn't know what they are doing. It wasn't only anti-Obama sentiment that led to yesterday's wave.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 05:43 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
You aren't seeing the humor in the situation the GOP has gotten itself into.

They are going to now have to convince the Tea Party people they are real conservatives while convincing everyone else they don't hate women and Hispanics.

Watching them try to pull this little trick is going to be really fun to watch.

The Republicans have won... they have the narrative. They have the ball and everyone is watching what they are going to do with it. There are an awful lot of ways for them to **** it up.
Brandon9000

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 05:46 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
I agree with you Engineer (I think)

The Republicans are going to go off the rails. They have their own internal problems and speaking purely as a partisan, it is going to be fun to watch them try to sort out their own messes....The Republican party is a trainwreck. The point of this thread is that they will be accountable to the voters in a big way in two short years. They run the risk of boosting Obama's popularity ratings... if that happens you know that they have really screwed up.

I guess it's all a pretty big victory for the Democratic party. Congratulations on your good fortune.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 05:48 pm
@maxdancona,
And you are assuming this will be a problem.

It may be. I don't think it will but we'll see.

Unlike you, I don't consider the far side of the spectrum I opposeto be insane idiots. I don't agree with them at all, but I won't underestimate them.

I suspect though that 12 months from now that I will be more amused than you.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 05:48 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
Hope you are right.

Have very, very, very serious doubts.

The GOP is always in destruction mode...and they do not especially care who or what is being destroyed. They would prefer that Barack Obama and the Democrat Party be destroyed...but if it has to be America...all Americans...the world...or the GOP itself...

...they will settle for that.

Yes, I go into withdrawal unless I destroy something every few days.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 05:55 pm
@Brandon9000,
LOL

Frank's reason and intelligence runs out through his ass when the subject is the GOP and conservatives.
revelette2

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 06:44 pm
It is so odd, I just read an article on Forbes. It seems it is the economy which was the most important point, they felt Obama only helped the 1% get richer and ignored the middle class. So you guys are going to have to embrace policies which will help the middle class, like higher wages. Hah.

The Demographics That Sank The Democrats In The Midterm Elections
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 07:42 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

I guess it's all a pretty big victory for the Democratic party. Congratulations on your good fortune.

I hardly consider two years of intense gridlock, government shutdowns, stock market turmoil and general chaos as good fortune. Nor do I consider that bad policy for the Republicans. The data is pretty clear that the Republicans win by going to the right and the Democrats lose by going to the center, so I expect the Republicans to move to the right. While the first bill might be the Keystone Pipeline (since Obama has been generally supportive in the past anyway), the first budget will almost certainly defund all the Democratic priorities. The game theory move for the Democrats would be to adopt McConnell's policy and go into full out warfare. I doubt they will do that but that would probably be the overall best policy for them. If they filibustered every bill while claiming the Republicans refuse to consult with them, they would likely shore up blue states and energize their base in purple states.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 07:52 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
Hope you are right.

Have very, very, very serious doubts.

The GOP is always in destruction mode...and they do not especially care who or what is being destroyed. They would prefer that Barack Obama and the Democrat Party be destroyed...but if it has to be America...all Americans...the world...or the GOP itself...

...they will settle for that.

Yes, I go into withdrawal unless I destroy something every few days.

Wow...YOU are the GOP.

I never woulda thunk it.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 07:55 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

LOL

Frank's reason and intelligence runs out through his ass when the subject is the GOP and conservatives.

Those are farts running out of my ass, Finn...not my reason and intelligence. I'm trying to control that...but not meeting much success.

But I do acknowledge that talking about American conservatism does make me a bit testy. It is a scummy position...and I really wish so many of my friends were not duped by it.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 07:56 pm
Quote:
“I don’t expect the president to wake up tomorrow and view the world any differently than he did when he woke up this morning. He knows I won’t either. But I do think we have an obligation to work together on issues where we can agree,” said the Senate minority leader from Kentucky.

it should have said "said the asshole who announced six years ago his ONLY mission was to obstruct this President is every way, form, fashion and way. Now he says we have an obligation to work together.

Yeah.

Joe(**** him and the horse he rode in on)Nation
coldjoint

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 08:10 pm
@Joe Nation,
Quote:
it should have said "said the asshole who announced six years ago his ONLY mission was to obstruct this President is every way, form, fashion and way. Now he says we have an obligation to work together.

And the asshole who said he was going to unite the country has done about all he can to divide it.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 04:25 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:
I really can't work out American politics. Why would a system potentially allow a major world power to carry on in a sort of limbo for two years before sorting out the whole thing?

There is no limbo. The President retains all the powers of the presidency.

Lordyaswas wrote:
Basically what happened over there was a vote of no confidence in the President, no?

Maybe unofficially, but not in any official sense.

This is like when the UK's governing party does poorly in local elections. It might count as the voters showing their dissatisfaction, but the governing party remains in power.

Lordyaswas wrote:
He no longer has the majority in either House, so why doesn't he go?

His position is not based on holding the majority in either house. He was elected to a four year term, which will last until January 2017.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 04:26 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
- This is a mid-term election. Republicans tend to do well in mid-term elections. Democrats tend to do well when a president is being elected.

How about all those elections where Republicans are elected president?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 04:26 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:
It sounds as if there is going to be two years of infighting and point scoring by the top politicians, while the ordinary people just get on with their lives as best they can.

Despite all that, all the bookies have Hillary as the favourite to become the next president, none of the other contenders come close.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 04:27 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
I think that the person happiest with the results last night (secretly of course) is named Hillary.

Only if she's drinking her own Kool-Aid.

After the 2013 gun control debacle, the Republicans are going to coast to an easy victory in 2016.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 03:53 pm
@Joe Nation,
He made that statement in 2010 after the GOP took the House. Remember the Dems had a majority in both houses from 2006 until 2010, then they only had a majority in the Senate.

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 10:10 pm
@Baldimo,
What's your point? He said his objective was to block everything this President wanted,, now he says... oh, nevermind, that was two days ago and he's already changed his mind.

Joe(**** him)Nation
roger

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 10:39 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

We are going to see a stream of bills either filibustered in the Senate or vetoed by the President with the express purpose of proposing them being to pick fights with President Obama.

Of course, a filibuster isn't what it used to be. You know who to blame if you don't like it.
revelette2

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2014 08:02 am
@roger,
Forgot about that, oh well, still have the veto.
0 Replies