Will Republicans take the Senate in the election?

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2014 07:10 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
Thanks Brandon, George.

I experienced that awkward moment in an argument where I knew I was wrong.

So, what's that like?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2014 07:14 pm
Quote:
Reflecting on what he could have done differently and what he will change moving forward, Obama says he will work harder to become a better salesman.
"I think that one thing that I do need to constantly remind myself and my team of is it's not enough just to build a better mousetrap. People don't automatically come beating to your door. We've got to sell it," Obama said. "We've got to reach out to the other side and, where possible, persuade."
"I think that what you'll see is a constant effort to improve the way we deliver service to customers...experimenting with ways that I can reach out to Republicans more effectively. Making sure that we're reaching out and using the private sector more effectively."
Looking back, the President admits that he sometimes struggled to work politics into policy negotiations, a weakness that affected his ability to communicate his positions to members of the opposite party and to the American people.
"I think there are times -- there's no doubt about it -- where, you know, I think we have not been successful in going out there and letting people know what it is that we're trying to do and why this is the right direction," Obama said. "So there is a failure of politics there that we've got to improve on."

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/09/politics/obama-responsibility-midterms/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Classic Obama, the failure is not in production, it is with the sales job. Drunk
His ego cant take in the notion that the main thing people dont like about him is what he does and does not do, and that he cant always fix this by running his mouth.
revelette2

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2014 06:38 am
@hawkeye10,
Actually, he is right.

Read the exit polls
georgeob1

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2014 12:11 pm
@revelette2,
I don't think the exit polls answer the question you are referring to. Obama's explanation is that he didn't do a good enough job explaining the supposed wisdom and effectivity of his policies, not that there may be something wrong and defective in the policies themselves. In short he believes the people are too stupid to really understand his wonderfulness. This is more than a bit self serving, and is not an explanation I would ever accept from someone working for me.

The demonstrable fact is the elections strongly suggest a widespread rejection of the policies of this administration by the American people - including a large fraction of the famous 2/3rds who didn't bother to vote and whom Obama claims to magically understand completely. The sad truth is Obama's comments on the election result exhibit more childish denial and rationalization than adult responsibility.
revelette2

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2014 12:14 pm
@georgeob1,
If you had read the exit polls, people voted against what they believe. It is what it is.

From the other source, there is more, just google it.

Quote:
Yet voters hold positions on a variety of noneconomic issues that are out of favor with the conservatives they just installed in the new Congress.

More than half the voters in House races said that immigrants living in the United States illegally should be given a chance to stay if they are working, rather than face deportation. That's a position quite unpopular among the GOP lawmakers who will take office in January.

Nearly half the voters said in the exit polls they favor same sex marriages, more than half said abortion should be legal in all or most cases, and well over half said climate change is an important problem.

The same electorate also installed anti-abortion and likely anti-gay marriage majorities in both houses of Congress and elected candidate after candidate who declined to take a position on climate change during the campaign.

About 46 percent of the voters said the president's health care law was about right or didn't go far enough, and 49 percent said it went too far. It's hardly an overwhelming mandate for Republicans to resume the repeal efforts that their tea party supporters are demanding as the spoils of victory.
georgeob1

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2014 12:35 pm
@revelette2,
"Nearly half" and "46%" aren't majorities. The immigration fight isn't over allowing productive illegals to stay here. It's about control of the border and enforcing existing law. You've assembled a bunch of carefully excerpted half truths in support of a very strange argument, namely that the American people voted against their own self interests. That is a remarkable bit of self-serving elitism.

People aren't stupid, though human history is littered with self-appointed elites that believed their **** didn't stink. Happily they are usually self-limiting.
revelette2

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2014 12:57 pm
@georgeob1,
No one said 46% was a majority. The 46% was regarding health care, not immigration. Look at the exist polls for yourself, the information is out there, they did vote against their self interest, it is a simple fact.
georgeob1

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2014 01:30 pm
@revelette2,
You offered the 46% as evidence that the people voted against their stated self interest. I'm well aware it referred to the Health care situation. You are offering ample evidence that you yourself are incapable of interpreting information logically.

I have reviewed the exit polls, as have many others. I haven't yet encountered anyone other than yourself who is making the very strange conclusion you are putting forward.

People don't often act contrary to their perceived self interest. Can you offer us any explanation to support this very strange conclusion you have reached, one that is even contrary to the excerpts you yourself have put forward to support it.
revelette2

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2014 01:52 pm
@georgeob1,
When did I offer 46% as evidence? The 46% was only part of the article. In other questions, they merely said "more than half believed...". Read it again before commenting.

Look, I will go ahead and find other sources where others believe what I have said.

Quote:
Lest Republicans get too comfortable with Tuesday’s sweeping victory, the exit poll also contained plenty of warnings for the GOP. As recounted by Mr. Langer, here are some:

• Sixty percent of voters say they are dissatisfied or angry with the Republican leadership in Congress.

• Some 54 percent of voters say they have an unfavorable opinion of the Republican Party – equal to the percentage who view the Democrats unfavorably.

• Tuesday’s election was bad for the Affordable Care Act (ACA), a.k.a. Obamacare, but not as bad as it might seem. Forty-six percent of voters said they think the law didn’t go far enough or had it about right, nearly equal to the 48 percent who say the ACA went too far.

• Forty-nine percent supported same-sex marriage; 48 percent opposed it.

• Fifty-three percent said they support legal abortion; 43 percent oppose it.

• Fifty-eight percent said they see climate change as a serious problem.

These data show that the Democrats have the upper hand on key social issues. For most voters, gay rights, abortion rights, and climate change are not the most important issues. The economy is still and will ever remain No. 1. But if the Republicans are to appeal to the broader, presidential-election-year electorate, they may need to rethink their posture on these issues – if not switching positions outright, at least deemphasizing them.

Another issue in the exit poll that might present opportunity for common ground is immigration reform. A majority of voters said they favor offering people in the country illegally a way to stay.

source

All of these are liberal or democrat ideals, not republican, yet voters voted for people against these very same ideas. People, go figure.
georgeob1

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2014 02:06 pm
@revelette2,
You still haven't offered any explanation other than people are stupid.

The obvious explanation is that you are comparing poll and election results for different questions. Whether one is for abortion or accepts global warming are isolated abstract questions. Whether they support this Republican or that Democrat candidate in a choice between the two is very specific and concrete. Many factors come into play. An obvious explanation is that people may not trust either the competence or the truthfulness of the Democrat candidates, and, if this is indeed the case, the record of the last six years likely has a lot to do with it.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2014 02:19 pm
@revelette2,
From your article,
Quote:
• Sixty percent of voters say they are dissatisfied or angry with the Republican leadership in Congress.

• Some 54 percent of voters say they have an unfavorable opinion of the Republican Party – equal to the percentage who view the Democrats unfavorably.

What! They rate republicans as not a good party, but they vote them back in?

What kind of Cockamayme is that!

And people wonder why I didn't vote. LOL
georgeob1

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2014 03:43 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Clearly this has nothing to do with the performance of the President or the Democrat majority in both houses of Congress when the Health Care law was passed, or the President and the Democrat controlled (and totally dysfunctional) Senate since then. The country's voters are stupid and don't know what they want. Our esteemed Constitutional Law Professor President clearly deserves a better nation than this one.

Perhaps someone could find him one.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2014 03:46 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
What! They rate republicans as not a good party, but they vote them back in?

I see your point. If the R's are that bad then the D's must really suck according to the american people.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2014 03:47 pm
@georgeob1,
Is it no wonder that people think what they think. The media and the Dems are very good and pushing the blame onto others. Hell during the 2008 elections the Dems and the media were able to give the impression that the GOP were in charge of Congress, even though the Dems had a majority in both houses since 2006.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2014 03:50 pm
@Baldimo,
"We lied to you about ObamaCare when we sold it because the R's dont like it so it was the only way to get the law passed " will go down in history as a repeat of " we lied to you about Iraq's weapons of mass destruction because we had to to get approval to invade Iraq". The ends justify the means argument sometimes works, but not when it comes to our political leaders lying to us.

The D's are some stupid motherfuckers if they think either the people or the historians will be any kinder to them then we are to Bush.

One question: Where were the journalists during the selling of ObamaCare? They were of no more help to us in shining the light on truth than they were during the selling of the Iraq War. They claimed to be sorry about the Iraq thing, they claimed that they would start doing better.

NOT.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2014 04:11 pm
@georgeob1,
I've criticized Obama when I thought he deserved it and complimented his accomplishments when I thought he done good. Some have challenged me on both sides, but I stand by what I said.

Obama may have 'studied and taught' Constitutional Law, but I see him as a big failure when it comes to practice. His support of mass data collection of American citizen's communication is against the law. So is torture of prisoners, and using drones that kills innocent people.

0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2014 04:30 pm
@georgeob1,
Democrats and minorities do not turn out as much in midterms as they do in the presidential elections, this is a known fact. Also, Obama's poll numbers are down (not as low as Bush was), so they voted against Obama as much as anything else. However, in presidential elections, issues such as immigration and abortion are more important when women and minorities turn out to vote in larger numbers and those are important. Probably why right out of the box, Obama brought up immigration.
georgeob1

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2014 04:40 pm
@revelette2,
Keep repeating that. It will make you feel better.
revelette2

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2014 04:46 pm
@georgeob1,
Thanks for your permission.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2014 07:48 am
America’s Historically Shameful Election Day Turnout

Quote:
Only 36.4 percent of eligible voters cast ballots in the midterm general election, marking the lowest voter turnout in 72 years.

The last time voter turnout was that low was in 1942 when only 33.9 percent of eligible Americans participated in the election just after the county had entered World War II, according to a projection by the United States Elections Project at the University of Florida.

Turnout in Maine, where both the incumbent governor and a senator were on the line, was the highest of the states with just over 59 percent of voters participating in the election. Indiana had the lowest turnout at just 28 percent.

While turnout is always lower in midterm elections than during presidential election. years, voter interest in this election was at an extreme low despite a number of potentially competitive Senate races and controversial ballot initiatives. Midterm election turnout is also historically lower among groups that are more likely to support Democratic candidates, which was a significant factor in a number of surprising losses by Democrats across the county.

Newly implemented voter ID laws and other methods of voter suppression including shortened early voting periods also played a part in keeping people away from the polls. In Texas, voters were forced to cast twice as many provisional ballots compared to the previous midterm election, even as overall turnout dropped almost 4 percent. Despite the low national numbers, turnout did increase from 2010 in ten states this year, including Colorado where new voting rights legislation meant that every registered voter received a ballot in the mail.

Senator Bernie Sanders (I-VT) responded to the poor turnout on Friday by announcing he will propose a bill to make Election Day a federal holiday to make it easier for people to find the time to vote. His proposal follows a long line of lawmakers who have attempted similar election reforms— just two years ago, Rep. Steve Israel (D-NY) introduced the Weekend Voting Act to make the election fall over a weekend, but the bill never made it past committee. And in 2005, then-Senators Hillary Clinton (D-NY) and John Kerry (D-MA) also sponsored a bill to give voters Election Day off from work.

“We should not be satisfied with a ‘democracy’ in which more than 60 percent of our people don’t vote and some 80 percent of young people and low-income Americans fail to vote,” Sanders said. “We can and must do better than that.”