Will Republicans take the Senate in the election?

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 10:01 am
Time to make your forecasts and/or guesses. About eight tight races and the Republicans neet to net about six new seats to take control of the Senate. A very volatile political climate out there with new challenges for the current administration in both domestic and foreign policy, as well as confidence in the President's ability.. The Republicans still lack an effective national spokesman and the Democrats appear to be far less sure of their situation than two years ago.

I'm a lot less confident now of my own ability to read the current political siutuation than in the past. However I believe the most likely outcome is a Republican victory, however slim, in the Senate.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 20 • Views: 14,277 • Replies: 266

parados

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 10:49 am
@georgeob1,
I'll follow those handicapping the race from polling. GOP is likely to take the Senate with 51 or 52 seats. Of course that won't be decided until January because LA and GA require 50% +1 to win the race. Both will probably be run offs in Dec for LA and Jan for GA.

It's going to make for some very expensive and nasty races in those 2 states if one party hasn't clinched a majority before then.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 11:43 am
@georgeob1,
I'm not sure how reliable the media reports have been on the Senate races, but I get the impression that the GOP will have a majority in both houses of congress; maybe by three seats in the Senate.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 11:59 am
@parados,
I agree. At least one of either the LA or GA elections will go to a round 2 vote. Both parties appear to be lawyering up for election disputes. I see this as unfortunate for all of us. We need to lower the temperature of the debate and deflect the energies of both parties from using their political power to advance their election prospects (as in the immigration and voter registration disputes) and turn to the interests of the country. Some compromise is in order, but sadly getting/holding on to power appears to trump the public interest at every turn.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 12:04 pm
Considering 400,000 voter registers have disappeared, more than likely the GOP will win this year.

40,000 Voter Registrations Have Mysteriously Vanished, Could Determine Control Of The Senate

Personally I hope they litigate it all the way to the highest courts.
RABEL222

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 12:46 am
@revelette2,
Good luck with litigating clear to the SC. The last time they voted republican 5 to 4.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 05:54 am
What I consider most interesting is that the less than 600,000 citizens of Red Wyoming will have two senators representing them....and the 33,000,000 citizens of Blue California will also be represented by only two senators.

The deck is already stacked...and the reds want a chance to stack it even more absurdly.
parados

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 07:16 am
@Frank Apisa,
If 400,000 moved from California to Wyoming they could have their own 2 Blue Senators.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 08:22 am
@Frank Apisa,
That is why we have the House.
revelette2

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 11:22 am
@RABEL222,
Well, it don't hurt to keep trying, no reason to make it easier on them.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 11:25 am
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

That is why we have the House.

So...having the House makes it okay to have such disparity of representation in the Senate, Baldimo?

I'd love to see that in a syllogism so I could attempt to understand your reasoning.
Baldimo

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 11:39 am
@Frank Apisa,
The disparity is in the House. All states have equal represtation in the Senate. As the Constitution declares.

So you want the Senate divided up just like the House, based on population?
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 01:24 pm
@revelette2,
Quote:
Mon 3 Nov, 2014 03:04 pm
Considering 400,000 voter registers have disappeared, more than likely the GOP will win this year.
40,000 Voter Registrations Have Mysteriously Vanished, Could Determine Control Of The Senate.
Personally I hope they litigate it all the way to the highest courts.

Do you understand the futility of trying to win this election? All this shenanigan by the GOP will win the elections.

SCOTUS allows it; it's a hopeless battle. The highest court in the land is in cahoots with the GOP.

What disturbs me more is that all my siblings are Republicans, and they don't say anything about the fraud and unethical behavior of their party.

They're all Christians too!

Too much hypocrisy for me!

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 01:33 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

The disparity is in the House. All states have equal represtation in the Senate. As the Constitution declares.

So you want the Senate divided up just like the House, based on population?

YES.

States are not people...people are people.

One person...one vote.

There is no reason the people of Wyoming should have that much more representation in the senate.

So

YES.
Baldimo

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 01:41 pm
@Frank Apisa,
We already have a govt body where majority rules. Why do you want to see CA and NY rule the US? Piss ant states like mine CO would have almost no say in the Federal govt. We would just have to go along with what the larger states want.

It is that very reason why each state gets 2 Senators. Inequality in the House and equality in the Senate. Why so much hate for small states Frank? Do we not count to you?
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 01:49 pm
@revelette2,
You wrote,
Quote:
@RABEL222,
Well, it don't hurt to keep trying, no reason to make it easier on them.

It's not about the voters; it's about how the GOP does everything to win elections through fraud and redistricting.

It's silly; you're fighting the wrong war!
Baldimo

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 01:53 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I always get a big laugh from you guys. The only honest elections are the ones you guys win? That is way funny. Let me know how that fantasy works out.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 02:00 pm
@Baldimo,
I'm an Independent voter; I will vote for the best candidate that matches my ideals.

In today's elections, it's controlled by the GOP state governments, and the SCOTUS allows these shenanigans to occur.

When 400,000 registered voter rolls disappear, I'm not going to worry about my one vote.

It's simple math; it's not 'each vote counts.' It doesn't.

Even in California, the voter turnout today will be less than 50%.

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 02:24 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

We already have a govt body where majority rules. Why do you want to see CA and NY rule the US? Piss ant states like mine CO would have almost no say in the Federal govt. We would just have to go along with what the larger states want.

You would have to do what the majority of the people want, Baldimo...pretty much as it should be.

Quote:
It is that very reason why each state gets 2 Senators.

Nonsense. Each state gets 2 senators because that is the only way the founding fathers could get a union started.

They made all sorts of deals and gimmicks to get the union started. Most have gone the way of the DoDo. This one should also.

Quote:
Inequality in the House and equality in the Senate. Why so much hate for small states Frank?

Why do you hate equality of votes, Baldimo?

Quote:
Do we not count to you?

Yeah, you count. TOO DAMN MUCH!
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 02:32 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Also,
Quote:
How much does it cost to win a Senate majority in a nonpresidential-year election?

About enough to pay for approximately three-and-a-half seasons of the current New York Yankees roster — almost $700 million — and that’s just for the top 10 most expensive Senate races.

A slew of legal decisions over the past four years that loosened restrictions on outside group campaign contributions has opened the spending floodgates. Through Nov. 1, outside groups had spent more than $498.7 million on Senate races and $283.1 million on House races, according to data compiled by the Center for Responsive Politics.

http://news.yahoo.com/the-2014-midterm-election-will-be-the-most-expensive-one-ever-183733619.html

All that money $$$$, and add to that all that shenanigan going on by the GOP, and the voter ignorance, what kind of result does anybody expect?

Voter ignorance; based on tv ads, mailers, and robo calls, and what do we get? A majority of uneducated voters.
More chaos for our politics.
0 Replies