What a week! Finally back!

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2014 09:44 pm
Wow! What a week! Who would have thought that the Democrats would have failed so badly in this midterm election?! After all the talk that the Republican party was on its deathbed and obsolete in America!

After these results I'd say that America is sick and tired of all the whiny piece of s*** Democrats ruining the country and decided to get some people that will actually do something other then talk about it.

Thank who-ever for getting this country back on teh right track. If only we could have done away with Obama, this country could finally start the desperately needed recovery.

Good to be back home though. I could only party for so long before
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,689 • Replies: 4
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2014 06:32 am
@McGentrix,
Obama caught the voter flack for not fully closing off the 2008 recession. Its been 6 years so, I guess, he has to take it.
HOWEVER, IMHO,
The GOP is still kind of floundering around without a rudder.
Are you gonna be more Conservative? or less. Will you make a bigger tent? or will you put up wooden sides on the present one .

You've got 2 years till 2016. I see already the Teabaggers and the RINOS are pissing on each others legs.

In Delaware we have what called "Return Day" where all the political candidtes hd, in the past, paraded together two days after the election, to show the citiens that, no matter what, they (the citizens) were what these battles were all for.
I see this year that return day in sleepy, lower slower Delaware has turned as ugly as any Teabagger/RINO luncheon.

Youre back, for now. I hope, as many pundits seem to hypothesize, that the Dems and GOP WILL govern with the electorate in mind rather than their own party purity. It will become a lameduck Interregnum that hasn't shown us as much lawmaking since the years when t Nixon created all those environmental agencies and laws that the GOP now preaches against.

revelette2

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2014 07:38 am
Everyone has only been talking about this since Tuesday. Anyone who is surprised by the midterm elections must not been keeping up with the polls. I knew the day before after looking at RealClear politics in all the races.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2014 09:13 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Obama caught the voter flack for not fully closing off the 2008 recession. Its been 6 years so, I guess, he has to take it....

You'd obviously like to believe that, but what I'd like to believe is that it represents a broader dissatisfaction with many of his positions. Over a third of the electorate does identify themselves as conservative.
revelette2

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2014 01:12 pm
@Brandon9000,
According to most of the exit polls, most felt the administration and democrats ignored the struggling middle class.

Quote:
The exit polls answer some questions and raise others about the midterm Republican blowout.

Large, sometimes lopsided majorities of white voters supported GOP candidates, particularly in the South. Democrats were hampered by a traditional midterm fall-off in voting by blacks, the young and others who boosted Obama to two terms in the White House.

The same surveys also lay bare a deep-seated public dissatisfaction with the status quo and with Obama. Nearly two-third of voters said the country is on the wrong track, and they voted Republican by a margin of 82 percent to 17 percent. One-third said their vote was motivated in part by opposition to the president.

Also favoring Republicans were voters over age 65, by a margin of 57-41. They accounted for 22 percent of the votes cast, according to interviews with voters after they cast their ballots, even though Census Bureau figures show they make up only 14 percent of the population.

That was after the Democrats aired television ads in Arkansas, Iowa, New Hampshire and Louisiana in the campaign's final days saying Republicans posed a threat to Social Security and Medicare. Republicans won two of those races and are favored to capture a third in a runoff.

In Iowa, Democrats went after Republican Joni Ernst with a television commercial that showed her saying, "Yes, I have talked about privatizing Social Security." She got 58 percent of the senior vote and won handily.

Yet voters hold positions on a variety of noneconomic issues that are out of favor with the conservatives they just installed in the new Congress.

More than half the voters in House races said that immigrants living in the United States illegally should be given a chance to stay if they are working, rather than face deportation. That's a position quite unpopular among the GOP lawmakers who will take office in January.

Nearly half the voters said in the exit polls they favor same sex marriages, more than half said abortion should be legal in all or most cases, and well over half said climate change is an important problem.

The same electorate also installed anti-abortion and likely anti-gay marriage majorities in both houses of Congress and elected candidate after candidate who declined to take a position on climate change during the campaign.

About 46 percent of the voters said the president's health care law was about right or didn't go far enough, and 49 percent said it went too far. It's hardly an overwhelming mandate for Republicans to resume the repeal efforts that their tea party supporters are demanding as the spoils of victory.

Nor is it clear what the voters have in mind for the economy.

Four GOP-leaning states — Alaska, Arkansas, Nebraska and South Dakota — approved increases in the minimum wage. That was at the same time they were electing conservatives to the Senate.

Once there, they will join a business-backed Republican rank and file that argues that raising the wage floor is a sure-fire job killer.

source
0 Replies