1 in 5 women get raped?

firefly

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 04:30 pm
@izzythepush,
BillRM is absolutely clueless about why so many, including most men here, view him with disgust. You know he's not going to let that penetrate his thick skull, so why bother continuing to engage him?
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 05:04 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
I don't know many women who view catcalls or comments on the street about their appearance or bodies as "sincere compliments" or "merely an aesthetic appreciation". Those things do make most women feel uncomfortable most of the time--based on my own experience, as well as the reactions of all the other women I've known. Yes, if you feel you do look good, and you've taken pains to look attractive, a single wolfwhistle might not bother you, and you might regard that as flattery, but most of the time, unsolicited remarks or reactions from total strangers on the street make women feel acutely self conscious and somewhat anxious about the fact their bodies are being viewed and commented on in that objectified way, and it does make them feel more vulnerable.

Granted. But that sort of juvenile and puerile cat-calling isn't what soundsighted seems to be talking about when he says:

Quote:
There should be some sort of penalty for men who compliment women on the street. Because even if it's just saying "Hope you have a nice evening sweetheart.", that's an invasion of a woman's personal space, and it's in the same realm of violation as rape is.

To identify something as relatively innocent as an offhanded compliment with rape is to minimize the seriousness of rape, imo. And to suggest that "there should be some sort of penalty" for this lack of common courtesy smacks of an endorsement of a fascistic dictatorial society.
You wrote:
Quote:
If that's the sort of body commentary and behavior exhibited by our most venerable law makers, toward their female colleagues, and those females working around them, can you imagine what women in other walks of life, and college women, are forced to put up with all the time? Is it any wonder that it has taken so long to get this old boys network on Capital Hill so long to address issues of sexual assault and sexual harrassment in the military and on campuses at all? And that that fight is still spearheaded by female members of the Senate--like Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, and Senator Claire McCaskill--who understand the importance of this issue from a woman's perspective, because it's mainly women who get sexually assaulted.

It's no secret that the halls of Congress are hot-beds (pardon the expression) of sexist behavior; the deplorable behavior of our lawmakers makes the news on a virtually constant basis. I don't believe, based on my own experience, that "women in other walks of life" are routinely subject to similar unwelcome attention. I have personally seen more than one man get fired for coming on just a bit too strong to female colleagues. Senators and Representatives, as elected officials, aren't concerned about getting fired and have grossly exaggerated images of their own omnipotence anyway.

I generally agree with you on all issues, firefly. I think you know that. I think you also know that I am hardly a sexist. But this soundsighted character's posts are so off-the-wall I can't let them pass unchallenged.
firefly

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 06:32 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
I generally agree with you on all issues, firefly. I think you know that. I think you also know that I am hardly a sexist. But this soundsighted character's posts are so off-the-wall I can't let them pass unchallenged.

Oh, I don't think you're a sexist, LA, and I hope you didn't get that impression.

And I wonder about soundsighted's motivations, and his sincerity, when he posted his somewhat off-the-wall remarks in this thread. Take a look at some of the topics he's started, and his comments in them, and you'll see what I mean.
http://able2know.org/topic/220242-1
http://able2know.org/topic/245986-1
http://able2know.org/topic/224897-1#top

He's often exaggerated in a humorous, almost satirical fashion, and I think that's what he might be doing here. He's no great champion or protector of women who would really support the things he's said in this thread.

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 07:09 pm
@firefly,
Nice work hunting that down, ff. Puts the remarks on this thread in an entirely different light. No wonder he took no offense at my calling his posts horseshit. He intended them to be just that.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 10:00 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
I don't know many women who view catcalls or comments on the street about their appearance or bodies as "sincere compliments"

It nice that Firefly feel that she can speak for all women but I remember clearly as a very very young child walking down the streets of New York City in the company of my mother and how delighted she was at the time to have received a surprise wolf whistle.

Of course this was long before women being taught to be so uptight about such matters.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 10:05 pm
@BillRM,
I am sure that we can expect the EU to write a right to be ignored law to go with their right to be forgotten law. Not sure how we are going to know who wants to be ignored, maybe they wear a letter or a symbol on their jacket? I am going draw the line at being expected to hold the door for these hypersensitive basket cases though, they are going to have to be consistent.
BillRM

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 10:15 pm
@hawkeye10,
First from looking at the video in question given the look on the woman face you could not pay me to give her a hello.

Second most of the comments I hear was hello or have a nice day and given that the people shooting this video was trying to make a feminist point the over the top comments could very well have been stage.

Love to see this experiment repeated by people that does not have a horse in the race.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 10:19 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
I am sure that we can expect the EU to write a right to be ignored law

As far as I know the EU nations on the whole are not nearly as uptight as the US have become over such interactions between the sexes.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 10:33 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
As far as I know the EU nations on the whole are not nearly as uptight as the US have become over such interactions between the sexes.

I think they are very uptight, how else does one explain the northern Europeans effort to promote the fantasy that there should be no genders?

http://www.newsweek.com/2014/10/03/three-letter-word-driving-gender-revolution-272654.html
0 Replies

soundsighted

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 12:48 am
@firefly,
You caught me! Nice detective work! You're like Matlock and ****!

Man... it's a good thing that I went through all that work to cover my tracks up!

Because I didn't leave any clues easily accessible at all!

Wow, firefly, you really are an intellectual giant. So much so that no one should EVER oppose your opinions. In fact, everyone in this thread who disagrees with your viewpoint should be publicly acknowledged as a heretic and tarred and feathered; then publicly lynched!

So you believe that so called "cat-calls' are something that only affects women? Why should I be surprised?

Because no men have EVER have received unwanted comments about their appearance!

0 Replies

soundsighted

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 01:00 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
Quote:
Not much is being done though. Sometimes when a woman says that's she's been raped after a night of drinking, the man is not prosecuted. Then he walks away scott free.

OK. First true and acceptable thing you've posted. I agree that that's too often true. Blaming the victim is wrong.

Yep, "Victim blaming" is wrong. That's why we should ALWAYS believe what a woman says without any evidence whatsoever. If she says that she was raped, well then goddamnit, that man should go to prison without due process!
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 01:21 am
@soundsighted,
Quote:
Politically, I call it rape whenever a woman has sex and feels violated.

Catherine MacKinnon
0 Replies

soundsighted

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 01:21 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
soundsighted wrote:

Society tells men that it's oK to think sexually about women, and that is a condonation of rape.

That is precisely the kind of thinking I was talking about when I said that your posts are a crock of ****. Of course men think sexually about women. And normal women frequently think sexually about men. That is the normal human condition. Unless you have an agenda against the procreation of the human race, that is how it should be, It has absolutely nothing to do with rape or even a fantasy of rape. It is normal human behavior for both men and women.

Yep. And that's why men should quit being demonized by academia and the media.

Quote:
Are you suggesting that the women in movies and ads are not getting paid lots of money? These are professional actresses who welcome the opportunity to ply their trade.

Yes, women are paid LOTS of money to objectify themselves. Some would call this prostitution. Some would would call this capitalism. The point is that women accept this FREELY.

Quote:
From my own admittedly non-scientific observation, there are far more support groups for women than men.

Yes, this is true! Because society views men as worth less than women are!

Quote:
Quote:

Masculinity is a tool for violence. That's why shootings happen. Women don't commit violence hardly much at all.

Are you serious? That is one of the most hilarious statements I have ever heard. I have been threatened with knives by women, women in whom I had no sexual interest whatever. There was a story in the news not long ago about the woman who had emasculated her boy-friend with a knife, not because he had tried to rape her but because he was suspected of having been unfaithful to her.

But feminists would have you believe as such. I don't doubt that you've been threatened by women. And I don't doubt that those women got a pass because of their gender.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 01:34 am
Quote:
"I claim that rape exists any time sexual intercourse occurs when it has not been initiated by the woman, out of her own genuine affection and desire."

— Robin Morgan
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 01:40 am
@soundsighted,
Quote:
Quote:
Masculinity is a tool for violence. That's why shootings happen. Women don't commit violence hardly much at all.

Are you serious?

Ya, actually he is, primarily this is a result of his advanced age producing a closed mind I think.....he is unable to take on new information as the feminist hold preventing science from looking into their assertions dissipates a bit. Andy used to be better I assume.

Quote:
In recent years, researchers have begun to extend this body of research to examine female perpetration of violence in intimate relationships. There is increasing evidence to suggest that women commit as much or more IPV as men (Archer, 2000; Melton & Belknap, 2003). Among adolescents, research consistently shows that females perpetrate more acts of violence in intimate relationships than males (Arriaga & Foshee, 2004; Foshee et al., 1996; Hickman, Jaycox, & Aronoff, 2004; Lichter & McCloskey, 2004; Munoz-Rivas, Grana, O'Leary, & Gonzalez, 2007; Schwartz, O'Leary, & Kendziora, 1997; Spencer & Bryant, 2000; Wolfe et al., 2001). In addition, data also suggest that females who perpetrate IPV may experience more violent or frequent IPV victimization (Bennett & Fineran, 1998; Capaldi & Owen, 2001; Kernsmith, 2005; Luthra & Gidycz, 2006; Milan, Lewis, Ethier, Kershaw, & Ickovics, 2005).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2663360/
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 01:52 am
@hawkeye10,
Andy's lack of knowledge on this subject is doubly annoying because he is a full time smug elitist prick, who constantly puts down others for the crime of their alleged (by him natch) ignorance. If Andy was as good as he thinks he is he would have been able to finish his life still able to be both able minded enough and connected to reality enough to rigorously reevaluate and honestly his positions as new information became available. He failed.

Andy is a lesson in what not to do as we age, sad to say.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 02:17 am
@firefly,
Probably Nonono, he's got umpteen sockpuppets. And he would need to manufacture the type of "feminist" he's always railing against.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 02:19 am
@firefly,
I'm at a loss as well, to be honest. I do like to point out some of the things he's said previously in case people are unaware
0 Replies

soundsighted

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 02:36 am
http://www.picgifs.com/graphics/l/laughing/graphics-laughing-590695.gif
revelette2

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 06:31 am
So I guess soundwhatever was having us on. I suppose that is a good tactic if you like to play games.
0 Replies