http://cdn.diply.com/img/b639d40f-cffb-4f11-bb0e-3b78d75ce816.jpg

http://cdn.diply.com/img/7a07087e-4d7e-4782-b109-ad834a7efc4b.jpg

http://cdn.diply.com/img/e5745951-116c-47d3-ac3e-e7fd449ee16d.jpg

http://cdn.diply.com/img/bfe92ffb-4e87-45eb-b868-aed0628e0211.jpg

http://cdn.diply.com/img/bbce48f0-7f4f-4d76-9e92-02f01090c632.jpg

http://cdn.diply.com/img/623887b3-39a8-4d9c-b610-d91b524f95fa.jpg

http://cdn.diply.com/img/5a961597-4fcf-4b45-85a7-522a23de5449.jpg

http://cdn.diply.com/img/50daf727-1e06-4902-9984-24e4b9420a8b.jpg

Yes, it happened generations ago; but doesn't the message of these posters sound oddly familiar? In fact, I'm reminded of just a few current A2K members who shall remain nameless. "The more things change, the more they remain the same."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 6,097 • Replies: 69

glitterbag

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 10:27 am
@wmwcjr,
The women's suffrage movement was bitterly opposed. The idea of women being able to vote was considered an affront to men. I'd be willing to bet, most men and women 40 years and younger don't know that the 19th Amendment granting women the right to vote wasn't ratified until August 18, 1920.

Its been less than a century since this amendment was ratified, call me a cynic, but Im guessing there will not be a big Centennial in 2020 celebrating this even.

I almost forgot, the suffragettes were only protesting for the right to vote, not to find husbands for unmarried women still single when they turned 20.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 10:48 am
The Women's Movement (I like that - sounds like something a pet did on the carpet) started out as a terrorist movement . They threw acid in the faces of politicians and burnt buildings .

Most of the suffragettes put their demands on hold to help the men fight WW1 by working on the home front in industry . Many who worked with ammunition were poisoned to the point of not being able to have babies and could look forward to an early death .

There was a classic case of the need for women's watches (worn on the wrist as opposed to a man's fob pocket watch on a chain) in the war, so women would paint the radioactive dye on the face by hand . They would lick the brush to keep the point . It was the first case proving the dangers of radioactive materials .

After the war, they went back to their protests . As a young boy I can remember being shocked to find out that women at one stage of history didnt have the right to vote . Surely my mum and dad were equal ?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 10:50 am
This is irrelevant...what was said 100 years ago has nothing to do with political propaganda today.

But since you went there, two can play this game. Women's rights propaganda from the same time period was pretty shocking by todays standards.

Listen to what these suffragette's said....

Elizabeth Cody Stanton wrote:
What will we and our daughters suffer if these degraded black men are allowed to have the rights that would make them even worse than our Saxon fathers?”

Anna Howard Shaw (president National Womans Suffrage Association wrote:
You have put the ballot in the hands of your black men, thus making them political superiors of white women. Never before in the history of the world have men made former slaves the political masters of their former mistresses!”

Carrie Catt (founder of the Leauge of woman voters) wrote:
“White supremacy will be strengthened, not weakened, by women’s suffrage

Ionus

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 10:51 am
@wmwcjr,
All that hysteria reminds me of nothing so much as what the women's movement actually turned into...just think...all those years ago, the men were right about where it all would end up . They were wrong to deny women their rights, however .
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 10:53 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

This is irrelevant...what was said 100 years ago has nothing to do with political propaganda today.

But since you went there, two can play this game. Women's rights propaganda from the same time period was pretty shocking by todays standards.

Listen to what these suffragette's said....

Elizabeth Cody Stanton wrote:
What will we and our daughters suffer if these degraded black men are allowed to have the rights that would make them even worse than our Saxon fathers?”

Anna Howard Shaw (president National Womans Suffrage Association wrote:
You have put the ballot in the hands of your black men, thus making them political superiors of white women. Never before in the history of the world have men made former slaves the political masters of their former mistresses!”

Carrie Catt (founder of the Leauge of woman voters) wrote:
“White supremacy will be strengthened, not weakened, by women’s suffrage

Rebecca Anne Latimer (first woman to serve in the Senate) wrote:
I do not want to see a negro man walk to the polls and vote on who should handle my tax money, while I myself cannot vote at all…When there is not enough religion in the pulpit to organize a crusade against sin; nor justice in the court house to promptly punish crime; nor manhood enough in the nation to put a sheltering arm about innocence and virtue—-if it needs lynching to protect woman’s dearest possession from the ravening human beasts—-then I say lynch, a thousand times a week if necessary.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 11:06 am
@wmwcjr,
A question for you Wmwcjr? Why is it important to attack men's rights? If the goal is equality, wouldn't you support both men's rights and women's rights?

There are several ways that men are disadvantaged in society (which doesn't at all take away from the ways that women are disadvantaged) Why not be concerned with both?

I agree with many things that are said in the name of feminism... I support reproductive rights and fair pay for example. I feel strongly that women should have all of the opportunities that men have (and I agree that this is a historical problem).

The problem is the ideological purity (which is what I read when I see this thread) that increasing fairness in areas where men are disadvantaged is somehow anti-woman. Examples of this include custody and prison sentencing fairness.

Equality should be equality. Anyone who truly believes in equality has my support no matter what they call themselves...

There is something very wrong if you can't support woman's rights without attacking men's rights.

glitterbag

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 11:12 am
@maxdancona,
Which rights of men are being attacked? Also, are you saying that only women in the beginning of the 20th century were quoted saying ugly racist ideology?
maxdancona

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 11:20 am
@glitterbag,
First of all, custody rights are a big issue for me (and a personal one). The idea that mothers are better parents than fathers and are more important than fathers is deeply ingrained in our society. Men's rights groups are promoting this. Not that long ago women's groups were actively lobbying to prevent fathers from getting equal custody.

Prison sentencing fairness is another issue... men get significantly longer prison sentencing than women for the same crime. And the gender and race of the victim matter too (you will get a much longer sentence if the victim is a woman).

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 11:24 am
@glitterbag,
The point is they they aren't relevant. The ugly things said by by men in the beginning of the 20th century are just as irrelevant as the ugly things said by women's rights pioneers of the same time.

This is an attack thread against against people promoting men's rights. It attempt to tar them with things some people said 100 years ago.

My point is that if you believe in equality, you should attack people for promoting men's rights. Equality means men and women both have rights.
Ionus

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 11:38 am
Our Family Law Courts were giving 97% of custody to the mother . Under pressure from the Governement and the public, they managed 93% .

Almost 100% (99.9) of domestic violence cases are successfully prosecuted . When I was in that situation, I told the Judge I would fight it because I was innocent . Under our laws, if you are CHARGED then you can never own a firearm, work in an industry where there are explosives and so on . The extremely high success rate is because men are told dont contest it . When I went to court, I was in the general public waiting room, my ex was in a special closed room where she was pampered with coffee and biscuits . A female court attendant came out and yelled out..."Any domestic violence cases report here ". In public . I was proved not guilty but because I was charged and it took several hearings over several months, and for each one I had an order taken out against me to stay away from her etc, I have a record sheet that says I have been charged with domestic violence several times .

The ex got the idea from a women's support group months after we separated . Poor women . They have child birth and period pain....
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 11:43 am
Wow, pampered with coffee and biscuits, who wouldn't be over the moon.

Well, you guys can carry on without me, Im going out and watch the grass grow.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 11:49 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:
Wow, pampered with coffee and biscuits, who wouldn't be over the moon.
...and yelled at by a female court attendant ...
Ionus

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 11:51 am
That made it obvious...you dont care about human rights, you only care about catering for women who are overcompensating for their lack of physical ability .
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 11:52 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Is that all you got out of it ? Cynicism towards human rights ?
glitterbag

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 12:01 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

My point is that if you believe in equality, you should attack people for promoting men's rights. Equality means men and women both have rights.

You boys are confusing me, is somebody asking me to attack men's rights? Why would I want to deny men any human rights? And come on, who could resist the luxury of coffee and biscuits?
Gotta go, the Mister just reminded me I haven't made his lunch properly. And he is very particular about how his lunch is served.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 12:08 pm
@Ionus,
It reminds me of what happened 800 years ago: the beguines and their work were tolerated, even praised, as long as they behaved properly. But others were called heretics, gagged by the Inquisition, ...

I don't think, Ionus, that I've ever showed cynicism towards human rights.
I do think, however, you should take the blinkers off.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 12:08 pm
@glitterbag,
Come on Glitterbag, this whole thread is intended as an attack on "Men's Rights". That is clear from the title. If you aren't here to attack "Men's rights", why are you here?

I am hoping for a reasoned, respectful discussion on gender and equality. That's why I am here. If that is impossible, at least I will inject some balance into this thread.

You asked me for a couple of examples where men are disadvantaged. I gave you some. Would you like to engage in a little reasoned respectful discussion?
Ionus

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 12:13 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
I do think, however, you should take the blinkers off.
That definitely applies to one of us, that much is certain . What rights do you think women need in the western world ? It is in your instincts to give women what they want and they want protection . The problem is with them overcompensating for being smaller there is no end to what they will want .

Anyone who makes a comment like you did about human rights is showing cynicism . If that was a woman you would be falling over yourself to help . You dont care about human rights, you care about being politically correct .
Ionus

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 12:16 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
It reminds me of what happened 800 years ago
It reminds me of what is happening now .

1. Forums
  2. » "Men's Rights" propaganda posters from yesteryear
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.05 seconds on 07/26/2024 at 06:06:50