I saw a white man with a gun. I heard a policeman saying, "Place the weapon down on the ground, ple

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2014 12:10 pm
White man jaywalks with gun...guess what happens?

I saw a white man with a gun.

I heard a policeman saying, "Place the weapon down on the ground, please. ... are crossing the street illegally ... I need you to put the gun down before I talk to you. ... You have committed a crime ... you are jaywalking. ... I don't want to shoot you, I'm not here to do that. ... Why are you so angry. ... Why are you cursing at me?"

Watching the whole incident all I could think of were those dead (unarmed) black men and boys who never had the opportunity to be "talked down," called "sir," and were murdered by police.

Or they were leaning on a toy gun in Walmart. Like John Crawford III.

a photo of John Crawford III gunned down in Walmart
John Crawford lll, gunned down by Beavercreek, Ohio police in Walmart, August 5, 2014.
I wanted to find out what happened to this white man who defied police, made obscene gestures at them and who cursed them out.
The man, Joseph Houseman, is a gun rights advocate. He got his 15 minutes (more like 40 or 50) of fame and walked.

In the Department of Public Safety's decision not to pursue charges, Webster said later that even though Houseman did not have the rifle in a sling and was "fidgeting" with it, it was not evident that he was "brandishing" it.
This news got covered as a "gun rights" story.
From my perspective it's a "white rights" story.

Does anyone honestly believe a black man, or teen, or boy would have walked away from this alive?

Follow me below the fold for more.

I know what happens in this country to black men with guns.

See how fast gun laws were changed in the U.S. when the Black Panther Party decided to patrol the police in their community, after the police murder of unarmed black construction worker Denzil Dowell. In "Fear of a Black Gun Owner," Edward Wyckoff Williams wrote:

The Panthers responded to racial violence by patrolling black neighborhoods brandishing guns -- in an effort to police the police. The fear of black people with firearms sent shockwaves across white communities, and conservative lawmakers immediately responded with gun-control legislation.
Then Gov. Ronald Reagan, now lauded as the patron saint of modern conservatism, told reporters in California that he saw "no reason why on the street today a citizen should be carrying loaded weapons." Reagan claimed that the Mulford Act, as it became known, "would work no hardship on the honest citizen." The NRA actually helped craft similar legislation in states across the country.

I know what is done to black men who arm themselves in self-defense against the occupying army you call police, and if you are white, you may not fear.
You see, I remember Elaine Brown singing in "The End of Silence," "we'll just have to get guns and be men."

I also remember many Panthers shot down like dogs, some asleep like Fred Hampton.

The NRA is all about gun control. As long as those guns are in white hands.

From my black perspective, I get real angry when I watch the Bundy Bunch get away with whatever they fuc*ing feel like and nothing happens to them. I watch white serial killers, and mass murderers explained away as "loners," and "disturbed individuals." I watch my young brothers executed and shot down in cold blood by cops and vigilantes, and the media noise machine pumps up the vilification volume, 'cause we're just thugs and animals.

This white problem affects not just community members, but it affects officers of the law who are not white. See the case of New York State parole officers who were held at gunpoint by white cops in Ramapo while on duty. Blacks in Law Enforcement of America and other black and Latino police groups have spoken out. Far too often being a cop of color is a death warrant from other police, who are white. Police Departments call them "fraternal shootings," but there is nothing brotherly about white cops "accidentally" killing black and Latino officers.

Latinos also smell the cafe sin leche. Some national Latino groups are speaking up, and joining the outcry around Ferguson. In New York, Anthony Baez's family sees parallels with the recent police murder of Eric Garner.

There is no way in hell black people and Latinos and Native Americans can "fix" America's "race problem."

More white folks have to step up to the plate. Systemic racism in police departments across America, in the criminal injustice system, in housing, education, and health care has got to go.

I'm tired of hearing about "the race problem," as if we are an equal partner in this mess we didn't make.

America's got a problem with white racism, and y'all need to clean house.

ORIGINALLY POSTED TO DAILY KOS ON SUN AUG 31, 2014 AT 06:00 AM PDT.

ALSO REPUBLISHED BY BLACK KOS COMMUNITY, BARRIERS AND BRIDGES, WHITE PRIVILEGE WORKING GROUP, POLICE ACCOUNTABILITY GROUP, AND SUPPORT THE DREAM DEFENDERS.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 17 • Views: 38,582 • Replies: 856

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2014 08:45 pm
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2014 09:33 pm
Unfortunately and very sadly there is nothing new about any of this here.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2014 09:54 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
True, but we must keep pushing for awareness and change.
Below viewing threshold (view)
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2014 04:22 am
@Miller,
Shove it where the sun don't shine, miller.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2014 07:13 am
@Miller,
Why can you not address the subject at hand, rather than the problem of urban Chicago? They are two different subjects, both real, but different subjects.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2014 02:16 pm
Different cops, different situations, different towns.

I can understand what Edgar is trying to do here, but it's apples and oranges.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2014 02:26 pm
@McGentrix,
The violence against black people is not restricted to just a few towns. It is a nationwide tragedy. Nobody can say that specific cop would have blasted a black man down in an identical situation. But it can be said that a black man in the situation would almost always catch a bullet or fifteen.
0 Replies

Moment-in-Time

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2014 03:12 pm
@Miller,
Quote:

Why not move to the SouthSide of Chicago, Woodlawn area to begin your
AWARENESS and of course, your push for change. And...while you are there, take time to talk tothe many black policemen in the City, who deal with urban unrest and issues of violence on a daily basis.

You are one TWISTED poster!
RABEL222

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2014 06:51 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
Yep! When I see the name Miller I zip right past it.
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2014 07:08 pm
Dateline: ROCHESTER N.Y. 09/03/2014 10:52 PM

Recently parolled black man fatally shoots white RPD Officer after being stopped for a traffic violation. The fallen officers partner shoots the offender who survives in a local hospital. Black Monroe County jail inmates erupt in cheers at news of the officers death.

NO RIOTS OR LOOTING OCCUR IN THE WHITE COMMUNITY.

The officer is survived by his wife, 4 year old son and infant daughter. The officer was an army veteran who served in afghanistan.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/crime/article/Police-officer-fatally-shot-in-upstate-NY-5732931.php

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/09/05/man-who-killed-nassau-county-police-officer-driver-faces-sentencing/
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2014 07:15 pm
@giujohn,
Not the same topic. Go start your own.
giujohn

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2014 07:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
I think its especiallly apropos
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2014 07:27 pm
@giujohn,
That's because you have no reading skills.
giujohn

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2014 07:38 pm
COPS HAVE "SECRET" RADAR GUN THAT CAN DETECT A PERSONS RACE FROM UP TO A MILE AWAY EVEN AT SPEEDS EXCEEDING 100 MPH!

Using the new device cops can now unfairly target blacks for traffic stops. The special radar gun can also be aimed at a vehicle in front of the officers patrol car and can determine the race of the driver in total darkness. Without such a device it is virtually impossible to tell if the driver is black in most situations.

0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2014 07:43 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
That's because you have no reading skills.

Not so...I can clearly see the seeds of hate that are sowed by such posts...you dont have to be Fellini to get the picture.

Its a call for an open season on police officers.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2014 07:43 pm
**** you.
giujohn

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2014 08:17 pm
@edgarblythe,
If I fucked, you wouldnt go back to sheep. Razz
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2014 10:43 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote: