During The American Revolutionary War, the state religion of Great Britain was Christianity?

George

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2014 06:47 am
@oristarA,
What has Walter said that was a lie?
I think you are doing him an injustice.
oristarA

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2014 07:00 am
@George,
George wrote:

What has Walter said that was a lie?
I think you are doing him an injustice.

oristarA wrote:

You have to promise that you will stick to truth and impartiality.
Or else you are not qualified to talk to me.
You will be ignored.

If you don't even have the courage to promise to be fair and just in the discussion, ask yourself: Am I honest to myself and to other people? Am I lying to myself and to others?
George

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2014 07:49 am
@oristarA,
Okaaayyy . . .
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2014 08:20 am
Cowards!
You hide yourselves in the shadow and sheepishly click the thumb-down as if clutch a straw to save your lives.

George

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2014 08:32 am
@oristarA,
Chill out.
Not me this time, but so what?
Anyone can click it at any time for any reason.
It means nothing.
Unless you let it mean something.
Why let people know it bothers you?
It just encourages them.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 03:32 am
It doesn't matter whether the hopeless trio will appear to argue or not. I'm still ready to analyse something related. But I will take time and feel free to do so. Be for reason or for pleasure...
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 02:08 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
Have you ever noticed what Contrex said - something like "we have a national religion that no one believes." That is, today's Christianity in Great Britain is far from being popular. It implies that Jefferson's strategy worked and still works.

The decline in church membership in Britain has nothing to do with Thomas Jefferson. It is mirrored across Europe.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 02:22 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

Cowards!
You hide yourselves in the shadow
and sheepishly click the thumb-down
as if clutch a straw to save your lives.
That is trivial n insignificant.
It happens to me all the time; I never care.

David
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 09:06 am
We are honored to have the presence of the two gentlemen in the discussion.
Welcome! Contrex and David. We're always impressed by your sincerity and eruditeness.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 09:13 am
@oristarA,
And the fact that they disagree with your preposterous notion that the American Revolution caused the decline in Christianity in Britain. Admit it, it's nonsense, you'll gain a lot more kudos if you do.
oristarA

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 10:11 am
@izzythepush,
There is no way that our silly Izzy could read through Contrex. Very Happy
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 10:59 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
We are honored to have the presence of the two gentlemen in the discussion.
Welcome! Contrex and David. We're always impressed by your sincerity and eruditeness.
Thanks for the compliment.
It 'd be more native sounding to say: erudition.

David
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 12:42 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
eruditeness

Erudition.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 01:16 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
[the] notion that the American Revolution caused the decline in Christianity in Britain

I don't seem to have seen a mechanism suggested for that. Also, if the American Revolution of the 1770s "caused" the decline of church attendance in Britain in the 20th and 21st centuries, how to explain the intervening massive peak in religiosity during the Victorian era and later?

Also, my remark about the English state religion being one that "nobody believes in" was a throwaway, flippant, off-the cuff one, not to be taken seriously.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 02:05 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

izzythepush wrote:
[the] notion that the American Revolution caused the decline in Christianity in Britain

I don't seem to have seen a mechanism suggested for that. Also, if the American Revolution of the 1770s "caused" the decline of church attendance in Britain in the 20th and 21st centuries, how to explain the intervening massive peak in religiosity during the Victorian era and later?

Also, my remark about the English state religion being one that "nobody believes in" was a throwaway, flippant, off-the cuff one, not to be taken seriously.

Well, actually, it all started with that "mechanism" ...
oristarA wrote:
The success of American Independence demanded some degree of anti-Christianity to undermine the morale of the then Great Britain.

oristarA wrote:
The success of American Independence demanded some degree of anti-Christianity to undermine the morale of the then Great Britain.

Have you ever noticed what Contrex said - something like "we have a national religion that no one believes." That is, today's Christianity in Great Britain is far from being popular. It implies that Jefferson's strategy worked and still works.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 10:36 pm

With same definition, only the latter (eruditeness) is less used:

erudition:
n.
profound scholarly knowledge

eruditeness:
noun: profound scholarly knowledge

13 dictionaries with English definitions that include the word eruditeness:

http://www.onelook.com/?w=eruditeness&ls=a
oristarA

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 10:41 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

izzythepush wrote:

That is: what you said (something like "America has no state religion yet most of Americans are religious while Great Britain has a state religion that nobody believes") was a throwaway, flippant, off-the-cuff one?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2014 01:23 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
With same definition, only the latter (eruditeness) is less used:
I have never heard anyone use that word.

David
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2014 02:30 am
@OmSigDAVID,
The suffix "-ness" is mainly appended to adjectives to form nouns.

"Erudition" is English for the original Latin noun eruditio.
contrex

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2014 03:31 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

The suffix "-ness" is mainly appended to adjectives to form nouns.

"Erudition" is English for the original Latin noun eruditio.

I am, for more than one reason, reminded irresistibly of this passage from Great Expectations:

One night, I was sitting in the chimney-corner with my slate, expending great efforts on the production of a letter to Joe. I think it must have been a full year after our hunt upon the marshes, for it was a long time after, and it was winter and a hard frost. With an alphabet on the hearth at my feet for reference, I contrived in an hour or two to print and smear this epistle:

"MI DEER JO i OPE U R KR WITE WELL i OPE i SHAL SON B HABELL 4 2 TEEDGE U JO AN THEN WE SHORL B SO GLODD AN WEN i M PRENGTD 2 U JO WOT LARX AN BLEVE ME INF XN PIP."

There was no indispensable necessity for my communicating with Joe by letter, inasmuch as he sat beside me and we were alone. But, I delivered this written communication (slate and all) with my own hand, and Joe received it as a miracle of erudition.

"I say, Pip, old chap!" cried Joe, opening his blue eyes wide, "what a scholar you are! An't you?"

"I should like to be," said I, glancing at the slate as he held it: with a misgiving that the writing was rather hilly.
0 Replies