During The American Revolutionary War, the state religion of Great Britain was Christianity?

George

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2014 05:31 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
. . . Note to Ori, I'm using a metaphor.
Metaphors cause skin cancer.
No, wait, that's sunscreen.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2014 06:48 am
@George,
I got two metaphors as birthday presents.
But since it were benign métaphores, I didn't have to use any solaria.
George

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2014 06:53 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Excellent! B-9 is good for your blood.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2014 07:07 am
@George,
Thanks, George! (I only changed recently from MH to B)
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2014 09:39 am
@izzythepush,

izzythepush wrote:

Gentility is not something you practice, calling me unintelligent for daring to disagree with you. Nobody has agreed with your simplistic theories, nobody.

Oh Jesus Christ! You've played at lease once vulgarity, Izzy. Smile

How many people here have agreed with you? Count the number of thumb-up you've got. Three, yes? Let's see who are the 3? WH, Setanta, and you. Isn't the hopeless trio with deep superstition? Very Happy

So the number of your supporters need to grow. I will be waiting happily for 10. Good luck! Wink
izzythepush

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2014 10:54 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
Count the number of thumb-up you've got. Three, yes? Let's see who are the 3? WH, Setanta, and you. Isn't the hopeless trio with deep superstition?

Setanta voted me up? Now you are having a laugh.

There's nothing superstitious about what we've said. It's all factual and backed up with evidence, (admittedly not in my case, but it's all out there on Wikipedia). You've got a crazy theory all of your own, and no one supports you. No one.
oristarA

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2014 10:01 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

oristarA wrote:
Count the number of thumb-up you've got. Three, yes? Let's see who are the 3? WH, Setanta, and you. Isn't the hopeless trio with deep superstition?

There's nothing superstitious about what we've said. It's all factual and backed up with evidence, (admittedly not in my case, but it's all out there on Wikipedia). You've got a crazy theory all of your own, and no one supports you. No one.

Silly Izzy, your poor arithmetic has fooled you. Were you a lazy student in your math class? Let me help you out:

See the number of thumb-up of both our last posts:
I got 1, you 3. (See the attached pic, right?)

Seemingly, you have two supporters and I have none, right? And on which your judgment stands, right?

Now check out our previous posts, you've even got 4 thumbs-up! And oh, poor me, even got -1! Right?

That means you've got more fans!

Now think this: Your supporters, including WH, Setanta and a masked one, usually click the button of thumb-up for you, and thumb-down for me (that is why I got damned negative: -1!) , right? And now, continue to think this: If so, why does Ori's last post still get 1 thumb-up? Doesnt' it indicate the possibility that Ori has some native-English speaking supporters here? Because they are native-English speakers like you, Izzy, they have sympathies for you - they just click the button of thumb-up for me and at the same time, unlike your supporters, don't click thumb-down for you. That is why I got unusual +1. +1 means that I've possilbly got 3 supporters (you would not see 3 thumbs-up beneath my avatar! Because your Setanta, WH and the other have clicked thumb-down for me!)
http://i57.tinypic.com/2hnp9h3.jpg
oristarA

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2014 10:36 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

You don't understand that you've fallen into a rut, just remembering what your school has taught you, and stuck in the gutter of superstition. You, like Setanta and WH, are without an independent mind.

0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2014 11:09 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Here's some facts which sum up everything you've been arguing against.

1) The American Revolution was about governance tax and politics. It was not anti Christian.
2)After the American Revolution there were huge increases in Evangelical Christianity in both America and Britain.
3) The American Revolution did not mark the decline of the British Empire, but was just before the expansion. The height of the British Empire was during the reign of Victoria.
4) Belief in a system of religion is not dependent upon nationalistic victory in war, if it was Islam would have ceased functioning as a religion 200 years ago.

Lame facts, not stable before rigorous challenges.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2014 03:47 am
@oristarA,
You never give up do you? I'm not going to waste any more time on someone who prefers bullshit to reality. Go back into your world of make believe, I'm not going to continue time arguing that black is not white.
George

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2014 06:52 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
. . . Now think this: Your supporters, including WH, Setanta and a
masked one, usually click the button of thumb-up for you, and thumb-
down for me (that is why I got damned negative: -1!) , right? . . .
I am the Masked Down-Thumber.
Now you know.
oristarA

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2014 06:56 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

You never give up do you? I'm not going to waste any more time on someone who prefers bullshit to reality. Go back into your world of make believe, I'm not going to continue time arguing that black is not white.

Goodbye, Izzy.

Hope you will not come back to bother me with your stupidity and waste my time.

Because I will begin to anatomize the cause that boggles your mind. Hopefully I will enlighten some souls who seek truth.

Your impotence in scientific thinking and self-deception are all too obvious as to stink and make you stay so long in darkness.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2014 06:56 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
. . . Lame facts, not stable before rigorous challenges.
"Facts are stubborn things," said John Adams, "and whatever may be our
wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter
the state of facts and evidence."
oristarA

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2014 07:01 am
@George,
George wrote:

oristarA wrote:
. . . Lame facts, not stable before rigorous challenges.
"Facts are stubborn things," said John Adams, "and whatever may be our
wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter
the state of facts and evidence."

Very well said.
Salute to John Adams.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2014 07:19 am
@oristarA,
And why don't you follow his advice?
izzythepush

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2014 07:23 am
@George,
Your likening of Ori to Q is spot on, like Q he comes out with some nonsensical idea with absolutely nothing to back it up and then tries to belittle anyone who doesn't swallow that particular bs. He also accuses educational establishments of brainwashing.

England's lack of religious fervour is nothing new. The English in general have never been particularly religious. A lot has been written about the Shakespearean character Falstaff, who, despite all his obvious faults, remains incredibly popular. Some have said he encompasses three qualities which are seen as particularly important for the English, wit, good living and irreverence. Now you may think that other countries value wit and good living, but irreverence is something else. That irreverence covers all authority figures religious and secular.

Geoffrey Chaucer's description of the Friar is another example of irreverence.

Quote:
The Friar is not just a ladies' man under the guise of a humanitarian, he is also a crooked businessman. He uses his position in the church to get money. He spreads the word that he had the power to forgive sins more than a priest in lines 218-219: “For he hadde power of confessioun as saide himself, more than a curat.” This gains him much profit from wealthy men as we see: “he was an esy man to yive penaunce ther as he wiste to have a good pituance;” (223-224). He even has the audacity not associate with the “lower” class because “to have with sike lazars aquaintaunce: it is nat honeste, it may nought avance..” (245-246). The profit he generates is proven because he looked like “a belle out of the presse.” (265). This point is reinforced in lines 257-258: “ yit wolde he have a ferthing er he wente; his purchas was wel bettre than his rente..” His purchases far exceeds his expected income from begging. The Friar should have been very poor, perhaps worse off than the people he helped, however this Friar was eating healthy and living large.

http://csis.pace.edu/grendel/projf983i/char.html

English national character aside, if one were to point to any moment in history that caused a lack of religious outpouring nationally, it would not be the American Revolution, but the interregnum, when England was ruled by religious fundamentalists. Never again!
oristarA

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2014 08:55 am
@izzythepush,
How pathetic you are, Izzy?
You've come back so fast like a phantom.
You upset me as I was ready to start to analyze your folly and hypocrisy one by one.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2014 12:40 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

And why don't you follow his advice?

Your childishness makes you blind to the absurdity of Izzy's argument.

I've strictly followed his advice from the beginning.

Or in other words, I've always followed the Rule of Speaking for the Truth.

You have to promise that you will stick to truth and impartiality. Then I will show you Izzy's ridiculousness. Otherwise, you will be ignored. I don't care whether the hopeless trio lingers in a blind alley or not.

Possibly, only one hint for you:
Read Jefferson, study him and leave these petty minds here alone.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2014 05:30 am
If you don't even have the courage to promise to be fair and just in the discussion, ask yourself: Am I honest to myself and to other people? Am I lying to myself and to others?
oristarA

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2014 06:40 am
@oristarA,
http://i60.tinypic.com/6865oh.jpg
0 Replies