During The American Revolutionary War, the state religion of Great Britain was Christianity?

oristarA

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2014 07:33 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

That is: what you said (something like "America has no state religion yet most of Americans are religious while Great Britain has a state religion that nobody believes") was a throwaway, flippant, off-the-cuff one?

Still waiting Contrex to confirm this. Wink
contrex

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2014 09:01 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

oristarA wrote:

That is: what you said (something like "America has no state religion yet most of Americans are religious while Great Britain has a state religion that nobody believes") was a throwaway, flippant, off-the-cuff one?

It is nevertheless true, if that is what you mean. "Nobody" should be interpreted as "hardly anyone".

oristarA

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2014 06:34 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

oristarA wrote:

oristarA wrote:

It is nevertheless true, if that is what you mean. "Nobody" should be interpreted as "hardly anyone".

It sounds like a politician talking with amphibolous attitude and it makes the situation here very delicate.

David, would you like to rewrite the first sentence of Contrex's in more details, so that I can get clearly what he says? The key problem is that he says "if that is what you mean" - what I mean? Why Contrex does not say "yes, it is nevertheless true and that is what I mean"? Contrex spoke that thing about state religion, and he said "if that was what you meant". It seems he's beating around the bush and evasive. But of course I'm awaiting your rewriting.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2014 07:43 pm
@oristarA,
I have no authority to speak for him.
I will leave him to speak for himself.

David
oristarA

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2014 10:44 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

I have no authority to speak for him.
I will leave him to speak for himself.

David

Of course.
Care to tell me how you understand it?
ossobuco

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2014 11:02 pm
Contrex tossed off a throwaway opinion. Last I read, 59% of the english are christianity believers, go look it up. Look up religion maps.

You didn't get it. You don't get humor or sarcasm or irony or anything else, but you want to rule and instruct.

People tried to tell you that you misunderstood, that humor or at least mild smiling was the basis of Contrex's point, but you didn't listen to any of us, many of us.

And then you went into a many post insulting diatribe to all of us.

I think you owe Izzy an apology. He is a british author and has taught the language.

You are a punk who wants to scream.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2014 11:07 pm
@oristarA,
I 'd rather not guess.

David
oristarA

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 12:05 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

I 'd rather not guess.

David

So you're also bewildered by his wording?
oristarA

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 12:14 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Contrex tossed off a throwaway opinion. Last I read, 59% of the english are christianity believers, go look it up. Look up religion maps.

You didn't get it. You don't get humor or sarcasm or irony or anything else, but you want to rule and instruct.

People tried to tell you that you misunderstood, that humor or at least mild smiling was the basis of Contrex's point, but you didn't listen to any of us, many of us.

And then you went into a many post insulting diatribe to all of us.

I think you owe Izzy an apology. He is a british author and has taught the language.

You are a punk who wants to scream.

Is the definiton punk this?:
punk: an aggressive and violent young criminal.

You, like Izzy, think you have the authority to speak for Contrex.
David, a former lawyer, understands the law and would not trespass. You seem to be ignorant in laws, treading what angels fear to tread.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 12:25 am
@oristarA,
I choose not to comment upon it.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 12:28 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
You, like Izzy, think you have the authority to speak for Contrex.
contrex answered a couple of times, even asked you some questions about it.

Since you seem to ignore not only what others post here but fix only on your on queerish rulings ....

Btw: what exactly does David's authority about history (and languages) establish in your eyes?

And why do and did you insult those others who just and only tried to help you?
izzythepush

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 01:38 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I never claimed I had the authority to speak for Contrex. I understood Contrex, Oristar doesn't. That's why he's had to post a separate thread asking people to explain Contrex' post on Great Expectations.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 01:50 am
@izzythepush,
That's what (and how) I understood it, too.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 02:16 am
Contres already told him he's wrong--that Jefferson has nothing to do with the contemporary decline in religious attendance, more than 230 years later. Oristar either did not understand that, or chooses to ignore it.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 02:22 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Contres already told him he's wrong--that Jefferson has nothing to do with the contemporary decline in religious attendance, more than 230 years later. Oristar either did not understand that, or chooses to ignore it.
You, like Izzy, me, ossso, contrex, ... , just think you have the authority to speak for Contrex. But we aren't a retired lawyer!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 02:37 am
I once dreamed of being an alleged retired lawyer . . . but it sounded like too much work.
oristarA

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 06:32 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I never claimed I had the authority to speak for Contrex. I understood Contrex, Oristar doesn't. That's why he's had to post a separate thread asking people to explain Contrex' post on Great Expectations.

The mysterious passage was written/cooked up by Dickens whose story was set in England in the early 1800s, okay? What I asked is in fact nothing to do with Contrex, okay?
oristarA

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 06:43 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Neither do I "did not understand that", nor "choose to ignore it."

We're expecting Contrex to rewrite his sentence "It is nevertheless true, if that is what you mean" so that we can grasp it without misunderstanding. And then I will continue to analyse the impact of Jefferson.

You may rewrite that sentence if you want to accelerate the process. Or you may just sit and watch.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 07:07 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
I once dreamed of being an alleged retired lawyer . . . but it sounded like too much work.
I find some tepid humor
(not "hi-lar-i-ous", to be sure, but worth half a smile)
in the doubt exhibited toward one of my former careers; harmless.
What 's the big deal qua being a trial lawyer? It was fun; for me, it was natural.
Its not as if I had claimed to be an astronaut.

U know, Setanta, your brutal rudeness to the contrary notwithstanding,
u have a certain charm about u.
I'm glad that u r still in the forum. It wud be less, without u.

I take mild pleasure in my choice of reticence anent a job
that I was awarded after a successful NY political campaign
in which I worked. I can imagine both the scorn & skepticism
with which I 'd be assailed, if I 'd mentioned that.

It will remain nameless.

good for a chuckle, maybe 2

( That 's Setanta's cue to impugn my I.Q. )
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 07:28 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
The mysterious passage was written/cooked up by Dickens whose story was set in England in the early 1800s, okay?
It isn't really a "mysterious passage". But it really was Dickens' 13th novel and his first "bildungsroman".
It's one of the English classics - you can call it "cooked", of course, especially, if you don't like the writings of the Victorian period (or Dickens especially).
0 Replies