During The American Revolutionary War, the state religion of Great Britain was Christianity?

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2014 10:14 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
British religious statistics are a historically rich and varied resource. In some countries, governments have historically collected statistics on the religion of its citizens. In Britian, this did not happen officially until 2001. Nevertheless, many important and valuable historical and contemporary sources exist. The earliest religious census was conducted as early as 1603. In 1851, a major religious census was carried out as part of the official Census.

Source
Census of Great Britain, 1851: Religious Worship in England and Wales @ archive.org
Religious censuses @ Open University
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2014 10:24 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
The judgment: We have a religion (Christianity) that nobody believes.
Setanta chickened out before this judgment. You're fool-hardy enough to claim Contrex's wrong. But my general impression tells me that Contrex is more intelligent than you. Do you still have the nerve to fight on, Izzy?

Contrex was having a laugh, he would never claim that there were no Christians in the UK. You don't understand our sense of humour as evidenced in one of your replies to McTag. If you're stupid enough to believe that there are no Christians in the UK, and that the American Revolution was all about Christianity your general impression doesn't count for much. This is what you said.
Quote:
2) Why has the actual population of Christians of Great Britain declined since the war so as to today nobody believes it in the country?

It seems this was based on a tongue in cheek comment by Contrex which shot right over your head. This is what the government census says.

Quote:
In the 2011 Census for England and Wales, 59.3% of the usual resident population (33.2 million people) identified as Christian. Muslims made up the second largest religious group with 4.8% of the population (2.7 million people). A quarter of the population (14.1 million people) reported they had no religion.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/census/2011-census/key-statistics-for-local-authorities-in-england-and-wales/sty-religion.html
Clearly 33.2 million is a lot bigger than nobody. Now if you continue to take jokes literally, it won't be long before you're the butt of them.

George

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2014 11:15 am
@izzythepush,
I am following this thread with great amusement.
At least until Quehoniaomath returns.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2014 12:33 pm
@George,
Well at least that's something.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2014 09:34 pm
@George,
Good to see that someone else also has a sense of humor. I haven't stopped chuckling since the first page of this thread.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2014 12:39 am
Wait, what? The United States is out to destroy christianity altogether, and has almost succeeded in the United Kingdom, and you're laughing? ! ? ! ?

It will be the end of civilization, and you're laughing . . . .

oristarA

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2014 01:42 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

oristarA wrote:
The judgment: We have a religion (Christianity) that nobody believes.
Setanta chickened out before this judgment. You're fool-hardy enough to claim Contrex's wrong. But my general impression tells me that Contrex is more intelligent than you. Do you still have the nerve to fight on, Izzy?

Contrex was having a laugh, he would never claim that there were no Christians in the UK. You don't understand our sense of humour as evidenced in one of your replies to McTag. If you're stupid enough to believe that there are no Christians in the UK, and that the American Revolution was all about Christianity your general impression doesn't count for much. This is what you said.
Quote:
2) Why has the actual population of Christians of Great Britain declined since the war so as to today nobody believes it in the country?

It seems this was based on a tongue in cheek comment by Contrex which shot right over your head. This is what the government census says.

Quote:
In the 2011 Census for England and Wales, 59.3% of the usual resident population (33.2 million people) identified as Christian. Muslims made up the second largest religious group with 4.8% of the population (2.7 million people). A quarter of the population (14.1 million people) reported they had no religion.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/census/2011-census/key-statistics-for-local-authorities-in-england-and-wales/sty-religion.html
Clearly 33.2 million is a lot bigger than nobody. Now if you continue to take jokes literally, it won't be long before you're the butt of them.

Do you think that I didn't know the statistical data before invoking Contrex? Contrex sincerely pointed out that while most of Americans believe Christianity, there is no state religion in America. Can you feel the sincerity of his judgment? If he said this without tongue in check, by the same token, he told us, in an almost serious manner, that there is a state religion in UK yet nobody believes, and this phenomenon really puzzled him.

Christianity, or the spirit of Christ, is in the core of the morality and morale of the soldiers of Great Britain. Because they believed that they were under the guidance of God to fight for their country. Now war was lost, could the confidence in God or in the spirit of Christ remain unwavering?

So it is likely that the Christians of UK see attending Church as a chore, with no passion and inspiration. Just think about how small the UK is and how big the US is. God gave the promised land to Americans. Can a loser thank God for depriving his right on the land? What words of comfort has God given him? None. No wonder they've lost the passion of worship.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2014 01:58 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
God gave the promised land to Americans. Can a loser thank God for depriving the land? What words of comfort has God given Great Britain? None. No wonder they've lost the passion of worship.
So the Thirteen Colonies were taken away by God and given as promised land to the Americans.

Obviously it took God a bit longer to take the other parts of this promised land back from France and Spain.
Setanta

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2014 02:05 am
God really f*cked over those Indians. Who did they think they were, trying to live in the promised land?
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2014 02:12 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Wait, what? The United States is out to destroy christianity altogether, and has almost succeeded in the United Kingdom, and you're laughing? ! ? ! ?

It will be the end of civilization, and you're laughing . . . .

You may amuse yourself with your folly. Very Happy
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2014 03:07 am
No, i'm amusing myself with your folly.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2014 03:08 am
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2014 07:31 am
From Jefferson, I see a genius; from Setanta, I see a little pot with some knowledge inside. Of course a little pot is soon hot. Cool

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2014 10:32 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
Do you think that I didn't know the statistical data before invoking Contrex?

There's no evidence of that, because what you said was fundamentally wrong, and if you knew it was wrong then you're a ******* idiot.

How did you invoke Contrex? By lighting a black candle and reciting the Lord's prayer backwards?

Ori wrote:
Contrex sincerely pointed out that while most of Americans believe Christianity, there is no state religion in America. Can you feel the sincerity of his judgment?

No, I honestly can't.

Ori wrote:
he told us, in an almost serious manner, that there is a state religion in UK yet nobody believes, and this phenomenon really puzzled him.

No it didn't. I don't know what's going on in your head, but you're misinterpreting pretty much everything that's being said. It's not even as if there's any ambiguity whatsoever.

You're going to continue to believe whatever mad horseshit pops into your head at the moment no matter what anyone says. You're so wide of the mark you're in Narnia.

This has been one of the most pointless arguments I've ever had and I'm not wasting any more time on it. Maybe you should log on to David Icke's website, he believes the Queen is a shape shifting lizard, but he makes more sense than you, and sounds a lot more rational.
oristarA

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2014 11:17 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

oristarA wrote:
Do you think that I didn't know the statistical data before invoking Contrex?

There's no evidence of that, because what you said was fundamentally wrong, and if you knew it was wrong then you're a ******* idiot.

How did you invoke Contrex? By lighting a black candle and reciting the Lord's prayer backwards?

Ori wrote:
Contrex sincerely pointed out that while most of Americans believe Christianity, there is no state religion in America. Can you feel the sincerity of his judgment?

No, I honestly can't.

Ori wrote:
he told us, in an almost serious manner, that there is a state religion in UK yet nobody believes, and this phenomenon really puzzled him.

No it didn't. I don't know what's going on in your head, but you're misinterpreting pretty much everything that's being said. It's not even as if there's any ambiguity whatsoever.

You're going to continue to believe whatever mad horseshit pops into your head at the moment no matter what anyone says. You're so wide of the mark you're in Narnia.

This has been one of the most pointless arguments I've ever had and I'm not wasting any more time on it. Maybe you should log on to David Icke's website, he believes the Queen is a shape shifting lizard, but he makes more sense than you, and sounds a lot more rational.

Reading your rigamarole, I cannot help but burst out laughing.

You pathetic loser in the debate, Izzy. Hurtling dirty words, instead of presenting a rational analysis, reveals your miserable failure to keep pace with the information era.

Let me give you a hint:

If you don't know "invoke" refers to "cite as an authority", just consult Contrex (He's not in Narnia - entering which a time tunnel is required. He's ALWAYS AROUND in A2K), before you throw various nasty swearing words at your rival.

Keep in mind: Gentility often helps build your credibility.
oristarA

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2014 11:26 pm
Christian soldiers from two rival countries were at war. Blood shed, running like rivers on the ground, yet those idiots still deny the possibility that there are some factors of disharmony in Christian ideas, or in Christianity.

Jefferson put it very well: Christianity is the most perverted system that ever shone on man.

That is why a religion always need reform.

Amen.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2014 11:41 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

oristarA wrote:
God gave the promised land to Americans. Can a loser thank God for depriving the land? What words of comfort has God given Great Britain? None. No wonder they've lost the passion of worship.
So the Thirteen Colonies were taken away by God and given as promised land to the Americans.

Obviously it took God a bit longer to take the other parts of this promised land back from France and Spain.

Very Happy Yeah, think more and think hard.
Science respects human's ability to think things.
God disdains and laughs at it.
I quoted the phrase "promised land" from William Jefferson Clinton.
As you've inquired, this phrase is exactly a minor proof to support my view: the possibility that there are some factors of disharmony in Christian ideas, or in Christianity.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2014 02:57 am
@oristarA,
Gentility is not something you practice, calling me unintelligent for daring to disagree with you. Nobody has agreed with your simplistic theories, nobody. I've not insulted Contrex, he's not the one making absurd statements. I never said he was in Narnia, I said your judgement is so wide of the mark, it's in Narnia. Contrex hasn't agreed with you, he made a joke. You didn't understand it. Instead of admitting you were wrong, you keep repeating your absurd theory, and insulting everyone who doesn't agree with you, which is everyone.

How long have you been studying English?

Here's some facts which sum up everything you've been arguing against.
1) The American Revolution was about governance tax and politics. It was not anti Christian.
2)After the American Revolution there were huge increases in Evangelical Christianity in both America and Britain.
3) The American Revolution did not mark the decline of the British Empire, but was just before the expansion. The height of the British Empire was during the reign of Victoria.
4) Belief in a system of religion is not dependent upon nationalistic victory in war, if it was Islam would have ceased functioning as a religion 200 years ago.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2014 03:31 am
@izzythepush,
Besides that, I just want to add that there are today ten thousands of various Christian dominations. And even at the time of the American revolution you had Catholics, Orthodox, Lutherans, Anglicans, Baptists, Reformed, Calvinists, etc. etc. etc. etc.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2014 03:55 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Ori's approach could be described by the phrase "ice-cream causes hay fever." Hay fever spikes in the Summer when ice cream sales also peak, therefore the two are related. Once an irrational belief is held, it's very difficult to back down without losing face. And Ori will continue to believe ice-cream causes hay fever despite how much evidence is given to the contrary, because the alternative is too difficult to contemplate.

Note to Ori, I'm using a metaphor.