During The American Revolutionary War, the state religion of Great Britain was Christianity?

oristarA

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 08:59 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I support Setanta's posts on this thread in their entirety. Your trying to school him is ludicrous. I only have continued to read because your claims are both peculiar and funny. Setanta doesn't need me to cheerlead for him. I post because you think that probably no one supports him.

I'll not be reading any oristar threads again.

You lack common sense.
A fair judgment is made only after scrutiny.
Your blind support of Setanta's narrow-mindedness and behavior of foul-mouthing will no doubt erode your credibility.
Off you go, with that pretended atheist Setanta.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2014 01:18 am
@oristarA,
Actually, I've thought all this to be grounded in some cultural misunderstanding by oristarA.

But this changing of an original post as a quote and that above post casts an even more negative light on oristarA.
oristarA

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2014 01:45 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Actually, I've thought all this to be grounded in some cultural misunderstanding by oristarA.

But this changing of an original post as a quote and that above post casts an even more negative light on oristarA.

That is, you are against Jefferson, aren't you?
And you will never try to terminate the so-called misunderstanding. Because you don't know what it is. You just used the word as a weapon.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2014 02:34 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
That is, you are against Jefferson, aren't you?
I am neither pro nor contry Jefferson.
And I wrote nothing about that.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2014 02:36 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
And you will never try to terminate the so-called misunderstanding. Because you don't know what it is.
Might be so, since I've never been to China myself.
You seem to be knowable in American, and European (and Christian) culture and history and by own experiences.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2014 02:38 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
You just used the word as a weapon.
Your experience if and when and why I use words "as weapons" seems to be rather limited.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2014 03:04 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
Setanta doesn't need me to cheerlead for him. I post because you think that probably no one supports him.

Now you've guilt tripped me into speaking out. Nobody could ever accuse me of cheerleading for Setanta, but as far as History goes he certainly knows his onions.

As far as Thomas Jefferson goes outside of America he's a minor figure, I doubt that many kids in the UK would even recognise the name, and even then it's more likely to be from watching TV shows like The Simpsons than anything they were taught in school.

The idea that the American Revolution was anti Christian is absurd.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2014 03:06 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
To be honest: you said that rather mildly.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2014 03:29 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Very well. Please answer three questions if you'd like:

1) Why had American Christian soldiers fought against British Christian soldiers during the American Revolution?

2)Does the war help grow Christianity?

2) Why has the actual population of Christians of Great Britain declined since the war so as to today nobody believes it in the country?
izzythepush

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2014 03:46 am
@oristarA,
None of your questions make any sense. The war had nothing to do with Christianity, the main cry was "No taxation without representation." It was down to who governed America, not what religion they professed. I don't think the war had any effect on the growth or decline of Christianity. After the war both Britain and America continued to send Christian missionaries to non Christian parts of the world.

Your third question is wrong, there are lots of church going Christians in the UK, and lots of people who still profess to be Christian despite not going to church. There has been a decline in religious belief, but this has nothing whatsoever to do with the American Revolution, and everything to do with scientific rationalism. Charles Darwin has significantly more to do with this decline than any other historical figure. He was born in 1809, long after the American Revolution.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2014 04:34 am
@oristarA,
In the western World, Christian soldiers fought against other Christian until the last known war(s) - each side even with blessings from priests of the very same church.

In history, quite a few thought that wars help to grow Christianity. Nowadays, quite a few Muslims still believe such today.

The reasons why religious beliefs (not only Christianity!) are on decline in Europe (not only "Great Britain") since many decades (no idea why the 'American Revolution' should be a turning point, since no data refer to that) is various ... you may attend university courses in sociology, theology, history, political sciences etc to find that out yourself.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2014 04:58 am
Evangelicalism was a prominent force in the English-speaking world both before and after the American revolution, and without reference to it. In the 18th century, it was known as "the Great Awakening." A resurgence of evangelicalism, which probably started among Methodists and Baptists in the United States circa 1790, and quickly spread to Great Britain, was the Second Great Awakening--it was a powerful force among Protestants for about 50 years.

The greatest figure in evangelicalism in the first "awakening" was John Wesley. Both the Methodists and the Baptists were highly successful in recruiting new members in both the United Kingdom and the United States. Evangelicalism also lead to schisms in existing Protestant churches in the English-speaking world--interest in and controversy over doctrine grew in both nations. The great figure of the Second Great Awakening was William Wilberforce, who worked doggedly to abolish the slave trade and to abolish slavery. He was supported by evangelicals of all sects in the United Kingdom, and evangelicalism was powerful across sectarian lines. Many of those who supported Wilberforce were members of the Church of England, the established church of Great Britain--and they had embraced evangelical principles.

As for a snide comment to the effect that i'm a "false atheist"--i'm an atheist, but that doesn't make me stupid. To deny the power and influence of Christianity in the English-speaking world on both sides of the Atlantic would be gross stupidity. I may not be the brightest penny in the bank, but when it comes to history, i think i am entitled to say that i don't perpetrate gross stupidity. To acknowledge Christianity and its influence is simple common sense, and something any student of history will do.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2014 05:20 am
@Setanta,
"Awakenings" happened elsewhere, too, but ...
a) they are called differently,
b) that term is specific for the American colonies/U.S.A. .
One of the main reasons - if not the main reason is that you find more Protestant/Evangelical churches on that territory than in any other European country (where churches were more 'regulated' to territories, following the Holy Empire's 'idea' of "cuius regio, eius religio" [Peace of Augsburg 1555] or were state churches like in the Scandinavian countries and Great Britain).
Setanta

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2014 05:33 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Well, i'll go along with that, except to note that the evangelical wave that washed across North America in the 18th century began in England, and specifically with John Wesley's espousal of evangelical values--even it it were not called the great awakening in England. Significantly, Wesley traveled to Georgia in the North American colonies, and traveled with Moravians, whose pietism deeply influenced him. I think it not unreasonable to see evangelicalism, in the 18th and 19th centuries, as a religious movement which not only crossed sectarian lines, but which also crossed the Atlantic, in both directions, many times.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2014 05:44 am
@Setanta,
... which brings us back to the Holy Empire (though later than cuius regio ...): Wesley was quite a lot influenced by the Moravian Church, then called "Herrnhuter Brüdergemeine" like still today here.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2014 06:00 am
The HRE always had its fingers in too many pies.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2014 08:48 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

None of your questions make any sense. The war had nothing to do with Christianity, the main cry was "No taxation without representation." It was down to who governed America, not what religion they professed.

Let's see whether history will agree with you, or NOT:

Quote:
George Washington's first general order to his troops, General George Washington called on ...

Every officer and man...to live, and act, as becomes a Christian Soldier defending the dearest rights and liberties of his country.

This father of the United States badly needed Christianity-armed soldiers to go to war for the country! And you willfully deemed the war had nothing to do with Christianity?

0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2014 08:59 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Your third question is wrong, there are lots of church going Christians in the UK, and lots of people who still profess to be Christian despite not going to church. There has been a decline in religious belief, but this has nothing whatsoever to do with the American Revolution, and everything to do with scientific rationalism. Charles Darwin has significantly more to do with this decline than any other historical figure. He was born in 1809, long after the American Revolution.

Poor Izzy, haven't you seen my invoking of Contrex's judgment?
The judgment: We have a religion (Christianity) that nobody believes.
Setanta chickened out before this judgment. You're fool-hardy enough to claim Contrex's wrong. But my general impression tells me that Contrex is more intelligent than you. Do you still have the nerve to fight on, Izzy?

oristarA

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2014 09:04 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

There has been a decline in religious belief, but this has nothing whatsoever to do with the American Revolution, and everything to do with scientific rationalism. Charles Darwin has significantly more to do with this decline than any other historical figure. He was born in 1809, long after the American Revolution.

I've partly agreed with your opinion. See my Enlightenment expression. One of the possibilities is that after losing the war, more people in Great Britain gave up Christianity and turned to Science.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2014 09:15 am
@oristarA,
You do know when the time of the Enlightenment was in Britain, don't you?
And certainly you do know how many non-Christian Britons lived there as well?